• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

Inefficiency is a poor argument for large fines in the first place because its inherently unjust (whoever gets caught is largely paying for the wrongdoing of others). We don't give people life sentences for assault because not all murderers are caught, it only passes muster with fines because our poor grasp on statistics makes it seem like the maths works out even though that's completely untrue for the individual who suffers either 0 cost or greatly inflated cost.

Great point. Which is why the victims of crime levy is bullshit.

markot

Banned
Im pretty sure all have a leeway due to possible errors in the camera reporting.

In 20 years we will all be driving electric self driving cars that cant go over the limit so who cares!?

This would make sense if 100% of speeding tickets were wilful. They're not.

How many states do this? I know Vic do. We've held onto our 10% leeway in NSW and I'll be pretty sad if it goes away.

Bless your state for that, were like your gimp hardass daddy in that regard.

markot

Banned
Driving is a priviliage not a right.

There are regulations you need to follow.

There is a test you need to pass.

You know speed limits exist.

Follow them.

If people didnt speed, there wouldnt be a dime in it.

You need to follow the rules when you drive.

You need to keep your car in reasonable condition.

You need to keep your tyres in decent condition.

You need to pay a registration fee.

Victoria is issuing fewer infringement notices
http://www.smh.com.au/data-point/bl...in-victoria--get-the-data-20130916-2tu41.html

People are pretty slow learners. People should be annoyed by speed cameras, cause then they will take attention of their speed.

I do think that there should be a weekly income % based fine. Its silly to fine someone what could be 1/3 of their weekly income for a crime while hitting someone else for what they earn in an hour.

hidys

I do think that there should be a weekly income % based fine. Its silly to fine someone what could be 1/3 of their weekly income for a crime while hitting someone else for what they earn in an hour.

This is something I think we should look into.

When in doubt on fiscal matters I always ask the important question:

What would Sweden do?

D.Lo

The Shovel said:
News in Brief: Now that the Government has delivered on its promise of no cuts to the ABC or SBS, it can move to the next phase: 'cuts to the ABC and SBS'
Lol.

Sounds great, but almost impossible to administrate.

I get what you're going for, rich people for which a fine means nothing. But a speeding car is still a danger even if a poor person is driving it. And the really rich will work out a way out of it, like they do their taxes.

markot

Banned
Base it off tax records for the previous year.

The point is to deter.

I think the demerit points are important in this regard. But a financial penalty that actually penalised all infringers and not just those who aren't well of is good to.

Financial penalties should always be catered towards maintaining the pain, which is the point of these penalties to begin with.

A 50,000 fine on Woolworths for misrepresentation compared to the same size fine for a local corner shop is completely different, one will barely notice it. The other may go out of business.

While there is an argument to be made that penalties should be equal for the same crime. There is the counter argument of maintaining the 'pain' for criminal infringement, as generally our justice systems are based on that utilitarian ideal.

Criminal courts can offer varied sentences based on the background of a criminal. A psycho with no remorse will generally have stiffer penalties than a young remorseful first offender even if their crimes are equal physically.

I generally think most fines should be based on a percentage than simple dollar amount. It ensues that the pain is always there and cannot be shaken off due to either personal or commercial wealth. Equal deterrence should mean unequal fines.

Even in these cases the poor will generally still be worse off. But it at least attempts to spread the pain more evenly.

I generally think most fines should be based on a percentage than simple dollar amount. It ensues that the pain is always there and cannot be shaken off due to either personal or commercial wealth. Equal deterrence should mean unequal fines.

Even in these cases the poor will generally still be worse off. But it at least attempts to spread the pain more evenly.

Could always make the punishment be off-hours community service.

When deterrence is a concern, we use these kinds of gates down here
Figura1.jpg
. Accidents near those tend to be nonexistent, evidently.

Generally placed near schools. Sadly, they're rare. Standard method is placing a sign giving a warning that there are cameras in that section, another stating the speed limit, and that's that.

Plus, y'know..

Dryk

The prime minister pointed out that when the US inadvertently shot down a civilian aircraft, it had duly apologised and made appropriate restitution.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11357086

EDIT

Abbott’s office said the prime minister had told Putin it was “incumbent on all countries, including Russia, to respect United Nations security council resolution 2166 and to cooperate fully with the independent investigation into the MH17 atrocity”.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...t-to-putin-was-a-brain-snap-says-bill-shorten

mjontrix

BAHAHAHAHA I'm sure they never officially apologised.

Also shorten too spineless, should've just called out abbott and called him an idiot and embarrassment - oh wait they're both best buds with the USA so I guess they're in the same club anyways.

Shaneus

Yeah, Shorten really is as spineless and quiet as The Roast loved to make him out to be. Their last week overall was gold, TBH.

In other news, I heard on the radio this morning that the US and China are working on a climate change bill or something and they think this'll put the current Australian government in a "difficult" position. Fuck, I hope to heaven that's true.

Dryk

BAHAHAHAHA I'm sure they never officially apologised.

Also shorten too spineless, should've just called out abbott and called him an idiot and embarrassment - oh wait they're both best buds with the USA so I guess they're in the same club anyways.
Yep no apology and reparations only after a 8 years and a battle in the ICJ (the US settled to avoid legal liability)

Jintor

Technically speaking the agreement also follows me graduating from university so I'm guessing I was actually the one who made this happen

That was fucking stupid....other countries look up to our medical and uni fees. I thought he did well yesterday with cameron so its stupid he uses his time in the world spotlight to royally fuck it up.

I am so SO embarrassed.

The Obama speech was pretty good, did anyone else watch it? Makes me wish we had politicians with public speaking skills or knowledge/interest in international affairs.

bomma_man

That was fucking stupid....other countries look up to our medical and uni fees. I thought he did well yesterday with cameron so its stupid he uses his time in the world spotlight to royally fuck it up.

“As we look around this glorious city, as we see the extraordinary development, it’s hard to think that back in 1788 it was nothing but bush and that the Marines, and the convicts and the sailors that struggled off those 12 ships just a few hundred yards from where we are… must have thought they’d come almost to the Moon.

“Everything would have been so strange. Everything would have seemed so extraordinarily basic and raw and now a city which is one of the most spectacular cities on our globe, and in a country which is as free and as fair and as prosperous as any."

“As we look around this glorious city, as we see the extraordinary development, it’s hard to think that back in 1788 it was nothing but bush and that the Marines, and the convicts and the sailors that struggled off those 12 ships just a few hundred yards from where we are… must have thought they’d come almost to the Moon.

“Everything would have been so strange. Everything would have seemed so extraordinarily basic and raw and now a city which is one of the most spectacular cities on our globe, and in a country which is as free and as fair and as prosperous as any."

tumblr_lbwyf8TfKe1qzkrg9.gif

magenta

I secrectly hope that Tony does something so politically stupid that he loses public support to a point where Malcolm goes for a leadership challenge. This seems far from happening unfortunately because most people don't really care what he does :(

I secrectly hope that Tony does something so politically stupid that he loses public support to a point where Malcolm goes for a leadership challenge. This seems far from happening unfortunately because most people don't really care what he does :(

If all he's done so far hasn't been enough...

Whats wrong with this tho? Its true the abboriginals did fuck all developement of the land compared to other indigenous peoples.

markot

Banned
Whats wrong with this tho? Its true the abboriginals did fuck all developement of the land compared to other indigenous peoples.

Because its the mindset that was used to force Aboriginal people off land, out of areas, and to treat them as little more then fauna.

Fences dont mark development.

The idea that 'the land was wasted' legitimizes taking the land. And forcing these people off their land.

We know that the Aboriginals were generally nomads, but they did have territory, tribes, languages... etc...

It wasnt the moon, it was a country with indiginous people with their own cultures who were massacred to make room for this developtment. Dont gloss over it.

Because its the mindset that was used to force Aboriginal people off land, out of areas, and to treat them as little more then fauna.

Fences dont mark development.

The idea that 'the land was wasted' legitimizes taking the land. And forcing these people off their land.

We know that the Aboriginals wer
e generally nomads, but they did have territory, tribes, languages... etc...

It wasnt the moon, it was a country with indiginous people with their own cultures who were massacred to make room for this developtment. Dont gloss over it.

Yeah i get you, but what else should he say to the british pm "you guys sure did a good job of fucking it up for the abboriginals"

Tommy DJ

Yeah i get you, but what else should he say to the british pm "you guys sure did a good job of fucking it up for the abboriginals"

You don't be an asshole. Once again, he actually went on to basically glorify and justify British Imperialism by basically using a "terra nullius" argument that hasn't be valid for ages. While doing this, he's also dismissing Indigenous Australians, their history, and their culture in the process.

I don't believe for a second that David Cameron held a gun to his head or particularly cares about the first fleet. So there was a lot he could have said in that speech.

Salazar

Australia sought to keep climate change off the G20 agenda

This is all I need. Subsequent humiliations and infuriations are extra.

Motherfuckers don't want to talk about it. Or be present while others talk about it.

mjontrix

No we need this idiot to stay in power so the Libs can't pass any of their ridiculous policies. Remember even if he's gone the powerbrokers and the people who actually make these policies will still be there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom