• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to agree, booing at a funeral is pretty tasteless

Memorial service.

People you should boo at a memorial service: guys who keep saying the deceased was the worst PM ever and then show up to his memorial and pretend to respect him.

People you shouldn't boo at a memorial service: The deceased.

Shaneus

Memorial service.

People you should boo at a memorial service: guys who keep saying the deceased was the worst PM ever and then show up to his memorial and pretend to respect him.

People you shouldn't boo at a memorial service: The deceased.
Or says this about his wife at the time she died:
THE death of Margaret Whitlam caused such an outpouring of saddened fondness that comments by the Opposition Leader, Tony Abbott, linking her passing with the sins of the Whitlam government appear to have struck an extremely wrong note.

He said she was a ''woman of style and substance'' and ''a marvellous consort to a very significant Labor leader and an epochal Australian prime minister''.

''There was a lot wrong with the Whitlam government but nevertheless, it was a very significant episode in our history and Margaret Whitlam was a very significant element in the political success of Gough Whitlam,'' Mr Abbott said.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
The Future Fund?

haha
I know right? Ridiculous. The prospects for that mature and reasonable discussion about tax look dimmer by the minute.

Really cool of Cory Bernardi to do some UFC promo for the upcoming Sydney event by encouraging women to get headlocked.
Look I think we all know that sometimes women, like college wrestlers, can get uncomfortable and instinctively shoot for double leg takedowns on their partners. In that sort of situation it's safer for both parties for the partner to counter with a sprawl and headlock or a guillotine choke than it is to try and time a knee or uppercut. Cory was probably re-watching Alves vs Kampmann from the previous Sydney event to get some background for his promo when he came to this realisation.

Yes that's right Tony, Privatizing Medibank solves the healthcare system. What kind of clutz thinks putting more privatization into the healthcare system is a good idea?

Wanna give it a rest? we get it, you dislike him, ok.

Agreed, stop discussing policies in a politics thread.

Does this guy ever shut up?

Id just like to point out that that guy got banned yet im still knocking about.

wonzo

Banned
future limited nooz cartoonist commin up

B1_84KaCQAIn8Se.jpg:large

future limited nooz cartoonist commin up

B1_84KaCQAIn8Se.jpg:large

When you have to write the names of the copious right-wing memes on the various elements of your "satire" maybe you want to rethink it. It's about as subtle as a freight train to the head.

Though to be fair I thought the poodle could have been Chris Pyne.

jgminto

When you have to write the names of the copious right-wing memes on the various elements of your "satire" maybe you want to rethink it. It's about as subtle as a freight train to the head.

Though to be fair I thought the poodle could have been Chris Pyne.

It wouldn't be a political cartoon if it didn't have it.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
They should put signs up on the roads letting drivers know that there are speed cameras around, that way drivers would slow down to avoid being caught by them, increasing safety in exchange for reduced revenue.

wonzo

Banned
http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/1133_cochrane.pdf said:
Twenty eight studies measured the effect on crashes. All 28 studies found a lower number of crashes in the speed camera areas after implementation of the program. In the vicinity of camera sites, the reductions ranged from 8% to 49% for all crashes, with reductions for most studies in the 14% to 25% range. For injury crashes the decrease ranged between 8% to 50% and for crashes resulting in fatalities or serious injuries the reductions were in the range of 11% to 44%. Effects over wider areas showed reductions for all crashes ranging from 9% to 35%, with most studies reporting reductions in the 11% to to 27% range. For crashes resulting in death or serious injury reductions ranged from 17% to 58%, with most studies reporting this result in the 30% to 40% reduction range. The studies of longer duration showed that these positive trends were either maintained or improved with time.

saving lives and making money by punishing dickheads? sounds good to me

Yet they dont....the test is so easy theyd rather 1000 poorly trained revuenue raises on the road then 100 safe drivers.

You didn't answer my question. What exactly is the problem with speed cameras? You're dodging the question, the adequateness or lack there of when it comes to driver training is irrelevant to the issue (not saying it's not important it's just a whole different discussion).

Above you can see research that shows speed cameras help prevent crashes. They also only punish people who are breaking the law so i don't see the problem. I feel like it's pretty damn hard to get caught by them anyway, they're incredibly easy to spot and usually have big signs warning you of their presence.

You didn't answer my question. What exactly is the problem with speed cameras? You're dodging the question, the adequateness or lack there of when it comes to driver training is irrelevant to the issue (not saying it's not important it's just a whole different discussion).

Above you can see research that shows speed cameras help prevent crashes. They also only punish people who are breaking the law so i don't see the problem. I feel like it's pretty damn hard to get caught by them anyway, they're incredibly easy to spot and usually have big signs warning you of their presence.

2 things.
Lowest fine in victoria is $195, in germany its 10 euros, how does such a massive fine punish you any more meaningfully than a warning or mandatory safe driving course.

You have no clue you have a ticket til its mailed out 2 weeks later, hardly an instantaneous preventative measure.

Fredescu

There's definitely a debate to be had around the level of punishment on things like speed cameras. Law enforcement and penalties have always had a built in assumption of inefficiency. As technology removes inefficiency and detection gets better, the focus really needs to be on prevention rather than relying on fines for income.

Jintor

That second point is actually a pretty interesting point, I hadn't considered the feedback mechanism being so slow to be a problem but now that I think about it that's kind of a big deal

Is rehabilitation, prevention and education a strong pillar of the Australian justice system?

Fuck speed cameras.....biggest scam i feel like causing a crash just to prove speeding cams suck.

Please feel free to. Just don't harm or inconvenience anyone else while doing it.

i presume you guys cycle everywhere....its cynical money grabs....focus on driver education to reduce deaths on the road.

Melbourne's got this thing called "Awesome public transport".

Fellow Melbourne people, I know you're going to disagree. But try Translink in QLD for a week and then come back to me.

Top comment is good for a change.

ABC News and SBS News posts usually have good top comments.

A few times, they've been mine :smug:

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
That second point is actually a pretty interesting point, I hadn't considered the feedback mechanism being so slow to be a problem but now that I think about it that's kind of a big deal
That's what the signs are for. It doesn't really matter when the fine arrives so long as the threat of being caught is both established and significant. A police officer with a radar gun hiding behind some bushes offers a more immediate response, but if no-one knows they're there they don't really dissuade people from speeding.

They're also extremely regressive
But poor people don't have cars.

Is rehabilitation, prevention and education a strong pillar of the Australian justice system?

Please feel free to. Just don't harm or inconvenience anyone else while doing it.

Melbourne's got this thing called "Awesome public transport".

Fellow Melbourne people, I know you're going to disagree. But try Translink in QLD for a week and then come back to me.

were not all city slickers tho, outside of melbourne its very ordinary and not an option for most.

hidys

878735-da2f7296-68d0-11e4-8235-0001a6f26b34.jpg

APEC, the final frontier.

These are the voyages of PM Abbott.

His mission, to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly avoid making eye contact with Vladimir Putin.

Cool as hell that the East-West link is gonna cost 17.8 billion dollars.

Dennis Napthine is a really cool guy.

The Liberals are a very fiscally conservative party, how can that fact be denied?

Arksy

That would be fine if the police weren't chasing trivial breaches of the law and actually were going after people who blatantly abused it. Pinging people for going 2kmh over the limit has nothing to do with safety.

Also, they put speed cameras at the bottom of a hill on a secured road with absolutely zero history of accidents. Yep, totally about safety.

There's definitely a debate to be had around the level of punishment on things like speed cameras. Law enforcement and penalties have always had a built in assumption of inefficiency. As technology removes inefficiency and detection gets better, the focus really needs to be on prevention rather than relying on fines for income.

Inefficiency is a poor argument for large fines in the first place because its inherently unjust (whoever gets caught is largely paying for the wrongdoing of others). We don't give people life sentences for assault because not all murderers are caught, it only passes muster with fines because our poor grasp on statistics makes it seem like the maths works out even though that's completely untrue for the individual who suffers either 0 cost or greatly inflated cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom