• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ I had no Idea what to say when I saw him say that, he's clearly lost it.

Mal Brough for PM?

For a guy who was clearly elbows deep inside the Peter Slipper Affair, it's ballsey!
I saw earlier the first paragraph noting the role of Queensland's election today might play in rolling Abbott if it's particularly bad for the coalition, which would make watching election coverage tonight more interesting.

[Brough] said only that: "clearly people are talking to each other because we are all interested in doing what's best for the nation".
pewpewpew

Is this a big plan by Abbott to make Brough the opponent so everyone will stick to Abbott?

I saw earlier the first paragraph noting the role of Queensland's election today might play in rolling Abbott if it's particularly bad for the coalition, which would make watching election coverage tonight more interesting.

pewpewpew

Is this a big plan by Abbott to make Brough the opponent so everyone will stick to Abbott?

Going by the polls even the probable LNP win is terrible given the swing against them (its ridiculously huge). Abbott's only real saving grace is Newman's (lack of) popularity which means that when Queensland doesn't go from a 7 Seat ALP to an ALP victory, Abbott's supporters will pin the negatives on Newman and claim that the LNP winning is a sign of LNP support. His detractors will claim that the massive swing is at least partially attributed to Abbott. Basically my prediction is so much spinning is coming that we should wrap the Federal Coalition in copper wire and make them stand near magnets.

hidys

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...igures-predict-labor-win-20150131-132tuv.html

Queensland (whole state) exit poll

54 ALP
46 LNP

qtr9wvgsujidg5zri4im.gif

Jesus Christ. If that's accurate there's going to be blood flowing in Coalition meetings.

It should be noted though that non-polling day votes tend to lean conservative (due to their preponderance of rural areas and the elderly), though the higher rate of early voting is chipping away at the advantage these days. But that response is far more than even that would account for.

It's also possible its the Silent Tory effect (ie the LNP are so on the nose people are reluctant to say they voted for them even though they do and the people doing so are actually enough to make for a small majority).4

Don't get me wrong I'm hoping its true but I just want to keep my expectations realistic.

I would like to know WHICH 17 electorates that was though (and if the polling method happened to favor urban areas or not). If that swing is coming from their rural strongholds they are doooomed, whereas if its from Labor seats returning to form it means far far less.

Spineker

Banned
My Aussie cousin just told me you guys have a bit of a blue bloodbath down her way at the moment.....Good, send those tory fucks to the depths

hidys

My Aussie cousin just told me you guys have a bit of a blue bloodbath down her way at the moment.....Good, send those tory fucks to the depths

We don't know the result yet.

But it is definitely a close election for a government that had the largest majority in the history of the state.

Saw an amazing Born-to-Rule'r on Sky. Facing a a 15%+ swing against her on a 3.6% margin refuse to concede or even acknowledge the chance of losing.

ABC is currently showing

35 LNP
44 ALP
3 OTH
7 unknown

45 is the magic number. I wouldn't be surprised if ALP doesn't win still, but wow.

(36 to 43 now)
(36 to 41 now, I was expecting this to happen before a conclusion was found)

wonzo

Banned
sky news suggesting tomorrows galaxy federal poll is 57-43 to the alp

@GhostWhoVotes
#Galaxy Poll Federal 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 43 (-2) ALP 57 (+2) #auspol

confirmed

HowZatOZ

Banned
It's an insane last 20 years. If it wasn't for China wanting rocks we would have basically been a big New Zealand at this point.

Isn't really a bad thing considering how New Zealand is right now.

So nice to have Newman gone now. Even if LNP wins, it means we, Queenslanders, have shown LNP in the best way possible that what they are doing is not what we want. Was so satisfying numbering him last in Ashgrove.

Tommy DJ

Newman: "the electorate has given us the message that we have delivered our message poorly"

My god, humongous bell end to the very end.

Myansie

Great to see Newman gone. That was my main hope.

I live in Brisbane, so some faith in my state has been restored.

I thought it would be close, but I was pessimistic. My feeling was the Libs woul be just in front. Maybe Abbott is even worse than I thought. Is such a thing even possible?

EDIT: This seemed to be a glitch with ABC or something rather than anything else. 38 to 43 now.

woah it just changed dramatically on ABC

30 LNP
39 ALP
3 OTH
17 Unknown

HowZatOZ

Banned
I don't understand where this LNP bloke is coming from with his claim that Labor don't have a clear plan. Newman walked into the 2012 election with exactly what Labor is currently doing, in that him and his party just claimed an opposition take (besides saying no asset leasing).

Labor at their previous term form were a party of nine. Nine people. How the fuck does anyone expect them to come out with a proper game plan with only nine people in the party and not having access to specific government stats? This same situation happened with Abbott, and he took forever getting his actual budget and game plan out. All he brought to the election was remove the carbon tax and stop the boats. How the fuck is that a clear game plan?

I don't understand where this LNP bloke is coming from with his claim that Labor don't have a clear plan. Newman walked into the 2012 election with exactly what Labor is currently doing, in that him and his party just claimed an opposition take (besides saying no asset leasing).

Labor at their previous term form were a party of nine. Nine people. How the fuck does anyone expect them to come out with a proper game plan with only nine people in the party and not having access to specific government stats? This same situation happened with Abbott, and he took forever getting his actual budget and game plan out. All he brought to the election was remove the carbon tax and stop the boats. How the fuck is that a clear game plan?

It was a clear plan of Ideology uber Alles (and thats exactly what he did once he got in and then he got lambasted for it because people were surprisd). The ALP (like most Anglosphere left-ish) wouldn't dare put forth a position like that.

Fredescu

I don't understand where this LNP bloke is coming from with his claim that Labor don't have a clear plan.

Since Hewson's loss, there's no politician in Australia that believes a "clear plan" from opposition is a useful strategy. It's a talking point he's regurgitating because it might resonate with some people, but he doesn't believe it himself.

"There doesn't appear to be any chance of a majority LNP government." - Antony Green.

Well goddamn.

I just don't understand how this happened. The polls yesterday gave them a quite reasonable governing majority in their own right. Its almost like there was some kind of bizarre reversal of the Silent Conservative effect. Did the shaky polls cause people to doubt them more ? Was there a major screwup (other than Australia Day) that I missed ?

HowZatOZ

Banned
Since Hewson's loss, there's no politician in Australia that believes a "clear plan" from opposition is a useful strategy. It's a talking point he's regurgitating because it might resonate with some people, but he doesn't believe it himself.

It seems like if you do come in with a clear plan you get lambasted heavily and I guess show your cards too early. I just hate how smug he was in beating Swan with it over and over.

I just don't understand how this happened. The polls yesterday gave them a quite reasonable governing majority in their own right. Its almost like there was some kind of bizarre reversal of the Silent Conservative effect. Did the shaky polls cause people to doubt them more ? Was there a major screwup (other than Australia Day) that I missed ?

Don't underestimate the power of Abbott's clusterfucks to hurt state elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom