• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

LOL.

The first thing i texted to my mate this morning on reading the news. I couldn't stand that smug asshole. I'l never forget repealing the same-sex union laws in his first days in office - so aggressive and said it all about what type of person he is. Seeya!

I forgot he did that. Bye, indeed.

Haha, I looked at The Sunday Mail and they're reporting that the LNP's plan was to make Scott Emerson stand down and parachute Newman into an Indooroopilly by-election. Meanwhile they would try to parachute Emerson into a Federal senate seat.

Glad that shit didn't happen.

wonzo

Banned
B8uvVo5CIAE4m94.png:large

agreed

oh.

So it looks like KAP would be more likely than not to support Labor and Peter Wellington won't even talk to the LNP.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-...2015-kap-ready-to-cut-deal-with-labor/6060296

This is something the LNP really need to think about Australia wide, why they have such a poisonous relationship with independents and third parties. It seems like the vast majority of independents are ex-Nats, ex-rural Libs, popular locals running against Nats or Libs or ex supporters who start new parties with the sole intent of screwing the LNP over.

Blaming the born-to-rule attitude is too easy, but damn trying to win elections under a prefferential system without a friend in the world makes it a whole lot harder.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott considered his close personal friend, The Australian newspaper's Greg Sheridan, for the plum posting of high commissioner to Singapore after the 2013 election (smh).

Very interesting. Fortuitous (or not) timing for this to come out. Wonder why it took so long.

I like how the article refers to Sheridan's own article a few years ago about Abbott punching the wall besides a woman

Abbott was my best friend at that time. We talked over everything. The meaning of life, the purpose of politics, who'd win the rugby league grand final, what girls we planned to ask out, petty squabbles we might have had with our parents.

Never gets old.

Well back when Newman was mayor of Brisnbane he was known as Can-do Campbell because people liked him back then.

Ah I though it might be him, cheers

Sound it out

I got that part lol
Just didn't know who it was referring to

edit:

level-headed fb post by Darren Chester MP about the LNP woes

Dryk

The voters like to think it's their job and they get mad when they're not allowed to do it, but it's not actually their job. Does anyone in this country even know how the electoral system works?

Here's the problem with the 'let the voters elect the leader' logic: that's not what the voters actually do in this country. If this were the USA, that might actually hold water, but the Prime Minister is merely the guy representing the political party currently in power.

Other people have pointed out that the Rudd-Gillard dysfunction was due to the former being booted out of the top job with absolutely no explanation to voters, and he was actually popular at the time, Rudd was kicked out by the Labor powerbrokers. Rudd proceeded to undermine Gillard until he finally got back in, and that actually narrowed the election result.

Tony Abbot, by comparison, is doing really badly in terms of popularity and dragging his party through the mud, so it wouldn't be difficult for the Coalition to actually justify replacing him with a more popular leader, as long as that doesn't cause more uncertainty for them. Unfortunately, with the whole "born to rule" mentality, Abbot may take being unseated before the election even worse than Rudd did, which may be disastrous for the Liberals.

Salazar

Replacements for Campbell are even less appealing than he was.

Langbroek is a permed buffoon. Springborg is a monotonous twit. Seeney is a smirking, cynical arse unfit to be Bruce Flegg's deputy. Nicholls is demonstrably poison.

D.Lo

Here's the problem with the 'let the voters elect the leader' logic: that's not what the voters actually do in this country. If this were the USA, that might actually hold water, but the Prime Minister is merely the guy representing the political party currently in power.

Other people have pointed out that the Rudd-Gillard dysfunction was due to the former being booted out of the top job with absolutely no explanation to voters, and he was actually popular at the time, Rudd was kicked out by the Labor powerbrokers. Rudd proceeded to undermine Gillard until he finally got back in, and that actually narrowed the election result.

Tony Abbot, by comparison, is doing really badly in terms of popularity and dragging his party through the mud, so it wouldn't be difficult for the Coalition to actually justify replacing him with a more popular leader, as long as that doesn't cause more uncertainty for them. Unfortunately, with the whole "born to rule" mentality, Abbot may take being unseated before the election even worse than Rudd did, which may be disastrous for the Liberals.
Ditching Abbott would be nothing like the knifing of Rudd. Rudd is historically the most popular PM of all time.

Abbott is the equal least popular PM of all time historically, with Gillard. Nobody will care when he goes. It will be more like Rudd replacing Gillard to stem the bleeding than the knifing IMO.

Hopefully it happens. I really don't want Sharten in.

EDIT: Actually come to think of it, the reason they can give to the public for ditching Abbott will I think be satisfactory to the public. It will be "You hate us (via poll numbers), so we're showing we're willing to change. We'll change everything now. Sorry about that Tony thing"

That actually matches the way Gillard et all tried to play off the Rudd knifing to the public (poll numbers). Except that it was a lie in that case, as no PM had ever lost an election with the numbers Rudd had, he had the best ever election slogan available (whole world = GFC, Australia = no recession) and of course they actually did it for personality reasons.

Replacements for Campbell are even less appealing than he was.

Langbroek is a permed buffoon. Springborg is a monotonous twit. Seeney is a smirking, cynical arse unfit to be Bruce Flegg's deputy. Nicholls is demonstrably poison.

I'm hoping they put up Bleijie. But that's for our benefit rather than his or theirs.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Not expecting that much today. Abbott will deliver speech that attempts to out out fires about his leadership and he'll be able to go into cabinet meetings over Tuesday/Wednesday with party backing.

As much as I dislike Abbott, politics in Australia will be broken if he steps down or a challenge is mounted against him this week.

Quasar

Not expecting that much today. Abbott will deliver speech that attempts to out out fires about his leadership and he'll be able to go into cabinet meetings over Tuesday/Wednesday with party backing.

As much as I dislike Abbott, politics in Australia will be broken if he steps down or a challenge is mounted against him this week.

Broken? I don't know about that. It would just be another instance of polis choosing the safety of trying to keep their jobs rather than standing up for what they believe.

In a way it reminds me of the whole XBone saga, where I do kind of wish they launched it as advertised and let it play out.

Abbott is most likely cooked, News Limited is reporting more than half of the backbench refuse to support or talk to him.

Fairfax is reporting a Turnbull PM and Bishop dream ticket with Morrison as Treasurer is what's being discussed.

Stronger, stronger, stronger, stronger, stronger, stronger, a goner, stronger, stronger, stronger, labor bad, debt bad, reform, reform, reform, Rudd, Gillard, Rudd...

Amazing he still hasn't learned a thing.

Omikron

Stronger, stronger, stronger, stronger, stronger, stronger, a goner, stronger, stronger, stronger, labor bad, debt bad, reform, reform, reform, Rudd, Gillard, Rudd...

Amazing he still hasn't learned a thing.

Onto the boats and carbon tax now. Genius speech writers.

Haha home loan interest rates low and stable. Of course below what Hockey described as emergency levels.

I don't know why he bothered to show up, he could have just sent a video of let's say, every other speech he's made.

Wow he even implied Labor were un-australian for daring to question his anti-terrorist laws.

Omikron

Haha home loan interest rates low and stable. Of course below what Hockey described as emergency levels.

I don't know why he bothered to show up, he could have just sent a video of let's say, every other speech he's made.

Wow he even implied Labor were un-australian for daring to question his anti-terrorist laws.

Yup. Stoking that xenophobia now.

Lots of national security talk, stoking fear about terrorists in our suburbs. And advocating weakening privacy.

I don't know about him being more gone from this speech.

On to PPL now.

I'm not changing the GST rate or base, but if it does change,
because I've starved the states of revenue,
it's all Bill Shortens fault!

Abbott really turned me against him in the context of this speech taking shots at Victoria paying to not build the toll road. Blame the liberals for signing a contract right before the election to make that the case, for Labor to fulfil their promise.

Abbott really turned me against him in the context of this speech taking shots at Victoria paying to not build the toll road. Blame the liberals for signing a contract right before the election to make that the case, for Labor to fulfil their promise.

and then calling the electorate "Absent Minded" for daring to vote against the Coalition.

Tommy DJ

What on earth was he going on about with MH370 when asked about Captain's Calls?

You see, this Australian government makes difficult calls no other Australian government has ever made. Calling MH17 a disaster is such a monumental task for any government.

Edit: Wait, did he confuse the flights? I'm 99% sure he got the flights wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom