• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
The best part of all of this is how little it's taken for these jokers to implode. Rudd had the GFC, the failure at.Copenhagen, the knifing of Turnbull and the fact that he was a friendless psychopath to deal with. Gillard had to lead a minority government whilst contending with both Abbott and Rudd. The closest the Libs have to an outside pressure is the delusion (that they keep sneaking into reports btw) that if the Senate just passed everything they put before it the country would become a utopia and all the voters would love them.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Well the process made a mockery of those saying he'd be gone today, so much for Tony not being pm after the meeting :p.

This is probably the worst result for Abbott. He ran against no challenger, so the vote was essentially on his leadership. 40% of his party are against him. How can party move forward now in regard to policy and governance?

Every poll from now will add to speculation that another spill may happen. Will the opposing MP's start to leak damaging press to the media? Will Turnbull be behind it? Essentially the Liberal party face a period of stagnation unless Abbott does a the greatest political turnaround ever.

Labor should just sit tight and watch it all unfold. Although they will probably go hard during question time today (which is going to be pretty entertaining ).

markot

Banned
The best part of all of this is how little it's taken for these jokers to implode. Rudd had the GFC, the failure at.Copenhagen, the knifing of Turnbull and the fact that he was a friendless psychopath to deal with. Gillard had to lead a minority government whilst contending with both Abbott and Rudd. The closest the Libs have to an outside pressure is the delusion (that they keep sneaking into reports btw) that if the Senate just passed everything they put before it the country would become a utopia and all the voters would love them.

No dude its that they cant get their message across.

markot

Banned
I was expecting alot lower.

like 20.

Without a challenger its pretty grim.

Tony and his backers were claiming 16 at most prior to this.

I wonder if the 'maybe we might possibly build a sub in Australia' yesterday was enough to swing it for him.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Well the process made a mockery of those saying he'd be gone today, so much for Tony not being pm after the meeting :p.
By and large it had a far better outcome than Tony being replaced. Nearly half his party hates him, how on earth can you govern with that over your head? This is going to slowly kill them, and it will be utterly hilarious watching Tony squirm.

Dead Man

The process (voting by the members) made a mockery of those saying he would be gone today (those with a specific prediction)? Do you say that every time someone gets a vote prediction wrong? That they are wrong to the point of being a subject of ridicule.

Anyway.

I think this might be the best result I personally could have hoped for. Cue another round of leadership wrangling in a few months, the closer it gets to the end of the year without him gone the better the chances for the Libs to crash and burn badly in the election I think.

Quasar

This is probably the worst result for Abbott. He ran against no challenger, so the vote was essentially on his leadership. 40% of his party are against him. How can party move forward now in regard to policy and governance?.

Add to that you have the minister solidarity that skews the numbers a bit. Given that I expected maybe 30 votes for.

Quasar

I think this might be the best result I personally could have hoped for. Cue another round of leadership wrangling in a few months, the closer it gets to the end of the year without him gone the better the chances for the Libs to crash and burn badly in the election I think.

It probably also hardens crossbench opposition to passing anything.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
No dude its that they cant get their message across.
Only doubting Thomases and people sugarcoating for the cameras say that. True believers know that once people are subjected to the glorious neoliberal utopia no messaging would be required to convince them of its greatness. Take Coalition senators Seselja and Reynolds. They know that all this namby pamby about evidence and reason isn't worth a damn. In their four and a half page dissenting report to the Senate inquiry into rising inequality in Australia they lay out the facts for all to see:
- You can't prove that consistently rising inequality actually makes things bad for people. Correlation isn't causation bitches!
- Also, Tasmania is more equal than WA, but is poorer on average! "Therefore, greater equality in Tasmania has, in fact, led to worse outcomes for all." Correlation is causation bitches!
The majority report had 13 concluding recommendations, and the Greens added another three on top of that. The Coalition senators know that that's all a waste of time though, because there's only one cure for Australia's maladies:
Coalition Senator's Minority Report's (lol) only recommendation said:
Recommendation 1: That the Senate implements the Government’s agenda to build a strong and prosperous economy for the benefit of all Australians.

wonzo

Banned
91d8732b-03fc-4f8b-agza9h.jpeg

hidys

From the guardian:

My colleague Lenore Taylor has some intel I need to share quickly. Her calls indicate the prime minister has described these past few days as a near death experience. According to her accounts – he’s put a precise timeframe on his leadership – he’s asked colleagues to give him six months to turn the ship around

I don't think you'll find too many people who though Abbott would get rolled today, but he did receive a mortal blow. It wasn't until the extraordinary pork-barreling in SA that went on yesterday afternoon that people even realised it would be close. Whether that got him across the line, who really knows.

Don't forget this wasn't even a two/three horse race, it was a vote on Tony vs. Anyone Else. I'm sure there was leakage in cabinet away from him despite the bullying but he won't last. Chris Kenny was right on Sky, as much as it's galling to agree with him, Abbott is one slight/minor mistake away from oblivion.

Someone needs to make that Monopoly game in Tabletop Simulator

hidys

So the ballot confirms that Turnbull will inevitably become Prime Minister since there is no chance Abbott can recover from his current polling position.

So the ballot confirms that Turnbull will inevitably become Prime Minister since there is no chance Abbott can recover from his current polling position.

If they go to the election with Tony, Bill Shorten is our next Prime Minister come election. The majority will probably be close to 90 seats and we will be back at 2007 levels of smugness if Tony loses his seat.

If they go with Turnbull or Bishop, they will still lose because they still have shitty policies that aim to destroy the young and the poor.

Regardless of any more spills, today's vote means that at least they'll be a Labor majority in NSW.

Basically Tony is in the same place John Major was after his leadership challenge in 1995, he has enough people to save his skin but not enough to show that he has clear control of his party and government.

wonzo

Banned
I should have meant in comparison to Abbott, Newman etc. NSW Labor face the issue that Foley is unknown to the general public and the party is still viewed as being tainted by corruption.
Being an unknown as the opposition leader before a state election ramps up is the norm really but yeah it's the corruption issue that'll stop Labor from getting in unless ICAC sits and claims the scalps of vast swathes of the NSW Libs before the election.

From facebook, no idea of its accuracy, but it will make me happy if it is accurate:

10268647_10153071733145797_8459019921973048930_n.jpg
Though it was 71 to 31, not 13:

TONY ABBOTT, OPPOSITION LEADER: Given that one third of her parliamentary colleagues and a quarter of her cabinet colleagues have expressed their lack of confidence in her today, how can she claim to have a mandate to continue as Prime Minister?

JULIA GILLARD: I always give him full marks for audacity, if not consistency. He comes into this parliament having survived his leadership issues by one vote. It's no wonder the Leader of the Opposition got some new suits after he became Leader of the Opposition. The rest of them were covered with blood, Mr Speaker.
http://abc.net.au/news/2012-02-27/d-day-for-the-alp/3855834

Dead Man

TONY ABBOTT, OPPOSITION LEADER: Given that one third of her parliamentary colleagues and a quarter of her cabinet colleagues have expressed their lack of confidence in her today, how can she claim to have a mandate to continue as Prime Minister?

JULIA GILLARD: I always give him full marks for audacity, if not consistency. He comes into this parliament having survived his leadership issues by one vote. It's no wonder the Leader of the Opposition got some new suits after he became Leader of the Opposition. The rest of them were covered with blood, Mr Speaker.

Good lord that's a great retort.

Damn.

Gillard wasn't perfect, but she was a lot better than the fucking idiots of this country deserve.

Omikron

So. Now that Abbott is determined to hang around, and considering he has said in the past he will change and hasn't, will he actually do *anything* this time around?

I am gong to predict something in the 'not much' range, maybe shuffle a couple cabinet ministers, promote ScoMo again, because why not!

Jintor

I heard their budget was too brave and too visionary or something

weird

that's not exactly the lesson i would have taken away from that whole shebang

I heard their budget was too brave and too visionary or something

weird

that's not exactly the lesson i would have taken away from that whole shebang

See the thing is they just didn't explain the problem to us before presenting us with the solution. If they'd just done that everyone would've loved their policies.

Myansie

You want the truth, you can't handle the truth!

I think the real danger for the Libs is if Malcolm decides he doesn't want the job. After all he didn't put his hand up this morning. The party is still in massive denial about their policy direction. While Malcolm is certainly right of centre on economics, he is still left of the IPA. If he feels he has to adopt an economic platform too ideologically extreme, he's hardly going to put his name on it. Being Prime Minister now, while maintaining the current course, means a likely early retirement next election.

Quasar

Being an unknown as the opposition leader before a state election ramps up is the norm really but yeah it's the corruption issue that'll stop Labor from getting in unless ICAC sits and claims the scalps of vast swathes of the NSW Libs before the election.

I guess people do forget easily. Or they don't count unless they are in Sydney.

Rubixcuba

Banned

Shorten just asked this exact question to Abbott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom