• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Crikey updated their Polling Tracker again:

2013-08-31-bludgertraoesa5.png

I never thought if be this ashamed to be associated with Australia. From the Front page of Daily Tele from Sat.

"Assylum seekers will be denied free government advice on lodging claims and launching appeals under a controversial Coalition plan to end taxpayer-funded support for boat arrivals".

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
It's always the way, i don't like Abbott very much, but i am against Labor staying in. They had their chance and blew it, not to mention the rotating of leaders to suit polls that look dire no matter who the "face" of Labor is.

I will enjoy voting out Rudd and in turn Labor out of power, this should have happened in 2010 but Gillard robbed me of that chance.
You're entitled to your opinion but I would like to ask why you think they blew it (beyond the infighting etc... which I don't think many will disagree with you on). Objectively speaking, the Gillard government was very successful legislatively in a hung parliament, the tax burden is lower than it was under Howard even with the Carbon and Mining Taxes, cost of living pressures are lower than under Howard and infrastructure spending is increased. The stimulus Rudd delivered saved the country from recession and the arguments most often used to discredit that achievement don't stack up; the mining sector shrank during the GFC so it didn't save us, and as the Federal government issues the currency and therefore isn't revenue constrained the surpluses delivered under Howard and Costello weren't essential prerequisites for stimulus either (beyond their impacts on inflation).

On a different note, it's interesting to contrast the 'destabilisation' tactics of Turnbull and Rudd. Most of the media commentary on Rudd seemed to focus on things taking place behind the scenes whilst publicly he would be very much the team player, excluding the two challenges. On the other hand Turnbull has criticised a number of Abbott's/his party's policies very publicly, even during the election, but can seem to use the notion of a "broad church" to avow his support for the leader. I'm guessing the main difference is that the Coalition haven't ever been that close to reinstating Turnbull, whilst Rudd and his supporters were always there in the background.

trinest

Labor launch pushed some interesting new policies like basically taking control of TAFE from States if they fuck it up within a year.

Jintor

Doing my poking through party platform thing. Man, figuring out which otherwise votable parties are total busts for being anti-gay marriage (or in some cases anti-homosexual entirely) is a bust.

Oddly enough Palmer's party, compared to the Democratic Labour Party and the Christian Democrats, is actually not horrible.

Shout outs to Rise Up Australia, who seem outwardly normal and then their same-sex marriage page (and their Burkha page actually) is a fucking screed on how goddamn scared they are about homosexuality being considered normal.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Labor launch pushed some interesting new policies like basically taking control of TAFE from States if they fuck it up within a year.

That would be interesting given the extremely different funding models that each state has for the Vocational Education sector.

Also I'm not sure whats going on regarding the whole "funding tools for apprenticeships" thing. That's been funded for years. I suppose it's just more money.

Jintor

Bullet Train party has a page on 'other policies'. The page is "I don't know if you read our name, but we only really care about the bullet train. Everything else, we officially have no policy. Cheers."

trinest

Bullet Train party has a page on 'other policies'. The page is "I don't know if you read our name, but we only really care about the bullet train. Everything else, we officially have no policy. Cheers."

Haahaa serious?

I do want a bullet train though.

Dommo

I feel the same way.
Im really hoping we get a new government.

Such lousy logic. Don't focus on how bad the previous government has been without looking forward to the next one. You'll end up with every election focusing on what the current government hasn't done and it'll end in voting in someone worse. This cycle continues. Abbott seems to be improving next to nothing but the thought process is "It can't be worse than what we've already got!"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One last week of an Abbott free government.

Dead Man

Its usually because people think the Greens policies are considerably more extreme than they are.
But I liked the snark of the first answer. :)
I just had a look through their policy doc. The only thing I'm not hip with is the anti-nuclear stuff.
Yeah, I'm not on board with their nuclear position, and some of their environmental positions lack evidence to support their position I think, but on the whole, that's about the only things I thing they have wrong.

But I liked the snark of the first answer. :)

I decided this thread wasn't the appropriate place for such.

Yeah, I'm not on board with their nuclear position, and some of their environmental positions lack evidence to support their position I think, but on the whole, that's about the only things I thing they have wrong.

Pretty much where I stand too. Their nuclear position isn't incomprehensible (the risk may be small but the consequences are massive) but there are other ways to address the issues.

Jintor

markot

Banned
One issue political parties piss me off.

Like that one that goes on and on about boat people, what's it called... Oh yeah, the liberals!

Hiyo!!!

Dead Man

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/th...scue-12-years-on/story-fni0fiyv-1226708300676
Good piece on the kids that were on the Tampa, taken in by New Zealand, and not relaly being drains on the economy. (Video at the link as well)
They and their families were en route to Christmas Island. They were rescued by the Norwegian container ship the Tampa. Lawyers fought for them in the Australian court. Politicians argued to keep them out of the country.

Two weeks after their rescue, as planes crashed into the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, these faceless, nameless boat-people turned from troublesome "queue jumpers" into potential terrorists.

But New Zealand took the children and their families when Australia would not.

The Tampa affair was the start of Australia's debate over asylum seekers arriving by boat.

For 12 years, the argument has grumbled with each new batch of boats, getting louder again as another federal election looms.

I decided this thread wasn't the appropriate place for such.

Pretty much where I stand too. Their nuclear position isn't incomprehensible (the risk may be small but the consequences are massive) but there are other ways to address the issues.
Fair call.

Okay, one person organising multiple parties is ludicrous. That needs to be shot down.

Shaneus

If anything gets the Liberals into government this time, it's the "voting for a change" people. Ugh, such a superficial and incredibly dangerous reasoning for voting a government in. And they know it, too... the only ad campaigns I've seen from the Coalition that aren't negative are "time for change".

bomma_man

If anything gets the Liberals into government, it's the "voting for a change" people. Ugh, such a superficial and incredibly dangerous reasoning for voting a government in. And they know it, too... the only ad campaigns I've seen from the Coalition that aren't negative are "time for change".

It's a complete fallacy.

lexi

Banned
If anything gets the Liberals into government, it's the "voting for a change" people. Ugh, such a superficial and incredibly dangerous reasoning for voting a government in. And they know it, too... the only ad campaigns I've seen from the Coalition that aren't negative are "time for change".

That worked so well for Queensland. Public sector completely gutted, etc, we now have a plutocracy.

Shandy

Preferential voting needs a "fuck you" option. Like, you number however many you want and then the rest get nothing, so if all your preferences fail, your ballot is then void.

Or something. It's very hard to feel anything but absolute resentment for the system knowing that you have to imply some level of approval for shitty parties.

Shout outs to Rise Up Australia, who seem outwardly normal and then their same-sex marriage page (and their Burkha page actually) is a fucking screed on how goddamn scared they are about homosexuality being considered normal.

That was precisely my experience. The name seemed a bit suspicious, but their policy page had a bunch of really sensible ideas. Then you get about 20 items down and things get terrible.

Jintor

Preferential voting needs a "fuck you" option. Like, you number however many you want and then the rest get nothing, so if all your preferences fail, your ballot is then void.

Or something. It's very hard to feel anything but absolute resentment for the system knowing that you have to imply some level of approval for shitty parties.

I agree entirely. I would rather throw away my vote than preference in some homophobic bunch of [REDACTED]

paile

Banned
Well I won't be voting next week. I was once enrolled, went overseas and had by name taken off the roll, when I came back I never bothered to go back on it.

There's nothing I see in the politics of this country that is worth me making the effort to vote again.

wonzo

Banned
He isn't going to win.
Rudd? Absolutely.

The Optional Preferential Vote combined with Preferential Above the Line voting would own so hard.

hirokazu

I think it's cool that they don't have any other hidden agendas, really. They just want to put high speed rail on the agenda no matter what other political views their supporters may have. Their website looks really dodgy though, especially that "buy a commemorative ticket" thing. Sounds like a scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom