• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with these double dissolution triggers

Looks like they are going to reintroduce a couple of anti-union bills into the senate when Parliament resumes to try and force another couple of triggers. Then I assume they just might try an anti-union DD election with the royal commission still on in the background. Though they will have change the sente voting laws first and I can't imagine the Labor party playing ball.

If they do go the DD route, prepare for the nastiest campaign of all time.

Double post because I can.

John Hewson the surprise guest on QandA, the previous Lord of Wentworth. World class ABC, world class.

I hope he brought his axe.

JC Sera

forgot QandA was on tonight
dac15_sad.gif

edit: Do you think we are ever going to see in the next 20-50 years, a revolt vs the 1%?

wonzo

Banned
forgot QandA was on tonight
dac15_sad.gif

edit: Do you think we are ever going to see in the next 20-50 years, a revolt vs the 1%?
If the political classes don't implement a guaranteed income & a 20-30 hour working week when automation hits within the next two decades then yeah.

Fredescu

What constitutes revolt in your mind? Anything violent will end poorly, pretty much whoever controls the military will be in power and there's no way that could even remotely be any better than we have it today. It would be fascism as far as the eye can see. On the other hand, there are those that would argue that Labor coming to power at any time constitutes a revolt. Helped by the conspiracy theory floating around that the mining industry had a hand in the ousting of Rudd.

That will only happen if our normal mechanisms for dealing with shit (democracy) crumbles or stops working.

Like, say, signing a trade agreement that allows international companies to sue a government for implementing policies. Or countries signing away their ability to control their own currency. It's not crumbling yet, but we're chipping away at it.

edit: Some good quotes on European democracy here: http://www.newstatesman.com/world-a...opens-about-his-five-month-battle-save-greece

referendum on the Eurogroup’s belated and effectively unchanged offer, the Eurogroup issued a communiqué without Greek consent. This was against Eurozone convention. The move was quietly criticised by some in the press before being overshadowed by the build-up to the referendum, but Varoufakis considered it pivotal.

WhenJeroen Dijsselbloem, the European Council President, tried to issue the communiqué without him, Varoufakis consulted Eurogroup clerks – could Dijsselbloem exclude a member state? The meeting was briefly halted. After a handful of calls, a lawyer turned to him and said, “Well, the Eurogroup does not exist in law, there is no treaty which has convened this group.”

“So,” Varoufakis said, “What we have is a non-existent group that has the greatest power to determine the lives of Europeans. It’s not answerable to anyone, given it doesn’t exist in law; no minutes are kept; and it’s confidential. No citizen ever knows what is said within . . . These are decisions of almost life and death, and no member has to answer to anybody.”

Democracy tho.

Shandy

I'd completely forgotten that was a thing. Probably because the last I heard, hardly anyone participated in the counselling trial and I assumed that meant it and its related policies were dead.

Trying to control relationships like that is just gross. Sometimes relationships fail and nothing can be done to save them. It's better for everyone if those relationships can be easily dissolved. I suppose it's based around the, frankly offensive, idea that a "broken home" messes kids up.

I think I preferred having forgotten about it. Now it's just making me angry.

Shaneus

I found it interesting that there was also a noticeable drop in suicides.
Yeah, I heard that too. Didn't even occur to me it would have an impact on that, so I guess that's a good thing?

Oh, and ain't it great that the government bypassed the senate to increase the cost of a divorce by something like $400. Gotta keeps them battered wimmenz in a relationship!

JC Sera

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/national/a/28795878/national-abuse-redress-scheme-a-must/
The federal government is about to receive recommendations for major changes to the legal system so that institutions "can never again silence children".
should tack on the end
"inside this country"
also
In its response to the commission's consultation paper the federal government also said it would not underwrite a scheme or extend Medicare for abuse victims needing ongoing medical and psychiatric help.
the fact we don't already have this a tragedy

http://m.smh.com.au/comment/why-the-nra-has-australia-in-its-sights-20150714-gic1a6

Here is abreast article by Andrew Leigh quantifying the impact of the gun buyback.

I found it interesting that there was also a noticeable drop in suicides.

Really smart guy, he's also my local member. I think he's also one of only 2 non-factionally aligned members in the federal ALP. The other is Nova Peris.

Interesting story, when the two Canberra seats were vacated a couple of elections ago, the feds devised a scheme where a left-wing staffer would get Fraser and a right-wing staffer would get Canberra (The seat). Neither were from Canberra and both supported staffers were rolled by the local members in pre-selection much to the chagrin of the national organisation. Leigh in the North and Gai Brotman, Chris Ulhman's wife, in the south.

hidys

Really smart guy, he's also my local member. I think he's also one of only 2 non-factionally aligned members in the federal ALP. The other is Nova Peris.

Interesting story, when the two Canberra seats were vacated a couple of elections ago, the feds devised a scheme where a left-wing staffer would get Fraser and a right-wing staffer would get Canberra (The seat). Neither were from Canberra and both supported staffers were rolled by the local members in pre-selection much to the chagrin of the national organisation. Leigh in the North and Gai Brotman, Chris Ulhman's wife, in the south.

All of which is true. Andrew Leigh is probably one of the most brilliant MPs in parliament and I hope that one day he becomes Treasurer (won't happen though).

I've heard the per-selection story before from some ACT Labor members. I don't know how or why the ACT Labor party is so democratic but if the national Labor party operated like them we would have a far better ALP.

They're a separate party aren't they? So wouldn't that be a little bit treasonous?

Rubixcuba

Banned
They're a separate party aren't they? So wouldn't that be a little bit treasonous?

Surely he wouldn't appear. The damage that could be done such as during Tony Abbott appearance at Carbon Tax rally springs to mind.

Related, is anyone attending the 'anti' rallies on Sunday?

hidys

Surely he wouldn't appear. The damage that could be done such as during Tony Abbott appearance at Carbon Tax rally springs to mind.

Related, is anyone attending the 'anti' rallies on Sunday?

To be honest it is too much of a pain for me to get to the city for a rally, though I would love to go.

Anyway here is a map of countries by what the population consider the biggest threat. Please be depressed by it now.

CJ7AZRjUYAIU6K2.jpg

senahorse

Speaker Bronwyn Bishop has charged taxpayers almost $90,000 for a two-week European trip partly aimed at securing her a plum new job.
Mrs Bishop last year ran for the presidency of the Inter-Parliamentary Union, a democracy group based in Geneva, but she lost out to Bangladesh's candidate. It's believed her short-lived but controversial Parliament House burqa ban cruelled her chances.
In the two weeks leading up to the October 17 vote, Mrs Bishop led a small parliamentary delegation to Italy, Belgium, Austria before heading on to Switzerland - and she spent $88,084 in the process, according to Department of Finance documents.

Mrs Bishop's total expenses for the period from July 1 to December 31, 2014 add up to just under $400,000, making her one of the biggest spenders in Parliament if you leave aside once-off office fit-out costs.
Indeed, the only MPs who spent more were Prime Minister Tony Abbott, and frontbenchers Julie Bishop, Andrew Robb, Scott Morrison, Ian Macfarlane and Barnaby Joyce.
Her expenses come on top of her $341,000 salary.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...pense-bill-20150715-gich1g.html#ixzz3fveE2zWj

During the period of a budget emergency no less.

Jintor

budget emergencies only happen during and immediately after labor governments. anything that occurs during a liberal government is necessary expenditure

Rubixcuba

Banned
Anyway here is a map of countries by what the population consider the biggest threat. Please be depressed by it now.

CJ7AZRjUYAIU6K2.jpg

That is an incredible map. If not more so for that the "developing" world state climate change as their biggest concern, whereas the West is worried by ISIS. A decade or so ago it would have been the Western countries citing climate change as the most serious concern. Really fascinating/disappointing.

Dryk

That is an incredible map. If not more so for that the "developing" world state climate change as their biggest concern, whereas the West is worried by ISIS. A decade or so ago it would have been the Western countries citing climate change as the most serious concern. Really fascinating/disappointing.
Apparently terrorism works. All it takes is for a handful of people to die horribly every so often and people start freaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom