• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CKEVUnSUkAAmyzK.jpg

I bet that cost more than $5k.

Not to mention Abbott getting on board all those military hardware, choppers, planes, boats, and getting custom military uniforms just for photo opps to make him look like a fascist lord and master. $5k? Play money to compared to that.

They've been flying the Customs Flag since the 80's. With the re branding to Tony's Stormtroopers it's probably natural that they have updated the flags.

My issue is that it looks backwards.

Yagharek

So people are saying in the news that the reclaim australia/united patriot front groups might be planning to bring weapons to the rallies in response to a perceived "threat of violence from the left" (what, paper cuts from green left weekly issues?).

This could be the first case of domestic terrorism in australia. Ironically perpetuated by a bunch of right wing lunatics whipped into a frenzy by rampant islamophobia from the political classes.

Fredescu

Ironically perpetuated by a bunch of right wing lunatics whipped into a frenzy by rampant islamophobia from the political classes.

Perhaps tragically rather than ironically. This is exactly what happens in the US. Since 9/11, terrorism from right wing extremists resulted in 254 deaths in the US vs 50 from Muslim terrorists. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/opinion/the-other-terror-threat.html?referrer=

Abbott and co know exactly what they're doing too, they've been warned about it multiple times: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/...ist-groups-terror-politics-warns-commissioner

Yet while Obama and tory David Cameron tend to use inclusive language when describing terror threats, Abbott is all fear all the time. He knows it leads to increased violence and energising white supremacists into action, but he does not care.

Forget that though, someone took a $5k chopper ride.

Yagharek

Perhaps tragically rather than ironically. This is exactly what happens in the US. Since 9/11, terrorism from right wing extremists resulted in 254 deaths in the US vs 50 from Muslim terrorists. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/opinion/the-other-terror-threat.html?referrer=

Abbott and co know exactly what they're doing too, they've been warned about it multiple times: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/...ist-groups-terror-politics-warns-commissioner

Yet while Obama and tory David Cameron tend to use inclusive language when describing terror threats, Abbott is all fear all the time. He knows it leads to increased violence and energising white supremacists into action, but he does not care.

Forget that though, someone took a $5k chopper ride.

Depressingly realistic.

Shaneus

Does that actually have any base? Is the investigation just for the helicopter flight (which was allegedly government business but later revealed to be a Libs fundraiser) or the half a mil she went through last year?

And I still don't know how there's no way this can't be brought to task, either:
Parliamentary records show Opposition MPs have been booted from the House of Representatives Chamber 394 times, compared with just eight members of the Government.

wonzo

Banned
Does that actually have any base? Is the investigation just for the helicopter flight (which was allegedly government business but later revealed to be a Libs fundraiser) or the half a mil she went through last year?

And I still don't know how there's no way this can't be brought to task, either:
It's for the helicopter and if she lied when filling out the form she's fucked.

Arksy

Well...there's basically a parliamentary protocol that if you pay it back you're basically shielded from any liability for having gotten it wrong. So I think she's fine criminally....

But I don't think this will blow over that easily, expenses are basically the one thing that have the ability to ruthlessly claim political careers and actually stir the electorate into a rage.

r1chard

Well...there's basically a parliamentary protocol that if you pay it back you're basically shielded from any liability for having gotten it wrong. So I think she's fine criminally....
From what I've seen floating around today the form she *might* have had to sign specifically says they aren't misleading parliament and that there's criminal repercussions if they do (ie. the Feds). The request went in today (from Fairfax, at Labor's prompting) to determine whether she signed such a form.

Linked article has the document in question.

Hadn't read the linked article yet. She added 25% on to the amount she's repaying. Because not repaying the exact amount, but being *generous* about repaying it somehow will help make it all go away? WAT? Oh, I see, she's being forced to, by her own party. Still, like that's going to help. This is over $5k compared to the $900 that they dragged Slipper into court over, and they're hoping it'll just go away.

I'll note that *nothing* about this has been mentioned in News Corp. papers today. They've been re-hashing MH17 of all things.

I take it back. They have an article up this afternoon. It has a funny interactive graphic and all :)

Dimefan3

That newscorp headline is a crack up - if you robbed a bank, then paid the money back, it doesn't change the fact you robbed a bank.

I doubt anything major will come of this, as much as we would like it to - she probably has friends in high places and will just cop a slap on the wrist.

Yes, re-branding from customs to something that sounds like a Saturday morning cartoon costs money, likely orders of magnitude more than a helicopter ride.

Imagine that:

Coming this Saturday morning to ABC Kids (30mins,R for required), Borderforce.

John Howard, no the other one, and Asher Keddie, she's in everything else, star as new Borderforce agents tasked with holding back the invasion of brown people on the open ocean. Armed with billions of dollars of the latest technology, how will they fare against the invading forces armed with dysentery and fear of oppression?

In this weeks episode our brave agents match there wits against the evil and not so brave people smuggler Pirate Pete and bravely stare down his warship fishing boat, dingy er... bravely. And don't forget to watch next week where out brave Minister, Mister Potato Head, denies the incident ever took place!

(Remember parents, the new State run ABC Kids is required viewing for children aged 4-12. We have your metadata.)

wonzo

Banned
I'll note that *nothing* about this has been mentioned in News Corp. papers today. They've been re-hashing MH17 of all things.

I take it back. They have an article up this afternoon. It has a funny interactive graphic and all :)
the daily telly had a small column dedicated to it yesterday which was barely 5 words wide

Yagharek

Imagine that:

Coming this Saturday morning to ABC Kids (30mins,R for required), Borderforce.

John Howard, no the other one, and Asher Keddie, she's in everything else, star as new Borderforce agents tasked with holding back the invasion of brown people on the open ocean. Armed with billions of dollars of the latest technology, how will they fare against the invading forces armed with dysentery and fear of oppression?

In this weeks episode our brave agents match there wits against the evil and not so brave people smuggler Pirate Pete and bravely stare down his warship fishing boat, dingy er... bravely. And don't forget to watch next week where out brave Minister, Mister Potato Head, denies the incident ever took place!

(Remember parents, the new State run ABC Kids is required viewing for children aged 4-12. We have your metadata.)

shaun_is_confused_1170.png

hirokazu

They've been flying the Customs Flag since the 80's. With the re branding to Tony's Stormtroopers it's probably natural that they have updated the flags.

My issue is that it looks backwards.

The Customs flag is specified under the previous act though. I'm not aware of a specification for a Border Force flag under the new act.

And that explains how they managed to get the text backwards on the flag.

Fredescu

Any sightings of mainstream media with the balls to call them neo nazis yet? The caption of that guy was anti Islam protester, which is a bit specific when there is a reference to Hitler right there in the sign.

hirokazu

I find Julie Bishop's comments to be interesting in terms of how much federal resources have been directed at Islamic extremists and how much to right wing extremists, despite both being a significant threat.

I don't know anything about [Reclaim Australia]. I certainly haven't been briefed on it. I've been briefed intensively and extensively on Islamic extremism and other threats to national security but I can certainly say that the security forces in Australia are keeping a very close eye on any form of extremism.

Ms Bishop revealed that none of the 400 extremists under government surveillance are right-wing, anti-Islam campaigners.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ans-to-attend-rightwing-rally-20150717-giebph

Meanwhile...

Right-wing extremism is emerging as an equal, if not greater, threat than Muslim radicalisation in Australia and multiculturalism is "close to death" at a federal level, academics have told a conference on social cohesion.

Violent extremism in Australia is beginning to mirror that of the US, counter-terrorism expert Anne Aly from Curtin University said.

Deputy Commissioner Nick Kaldas, the police force's spokesman on cultural diversity, listed far-right extremism and marches and rallies "which encourage divisive notions of us and them" as some of the biggest challenges facing his troops.

Race Discrimination Commissioner Tim Soutphommasane told the conference there had undoubtedly been a rise in far-right extremist organisations.

"What is concerning is that they are coming out in public and not confining their activities underground [as they once did]," he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/righ...-radicalisation-say-academics-20150717-giduqp

Is that picture above proof enough, or do we need people with Nazi swastikas on their shirts and tattoos?

Shandy

Is that picture above proof enough, or do we need people with Nazi swastikas on their shirts and tattoos?

Tony would probably stand in front of a hundred flags and say that Australia is such a great country to allow them the freedom to do so.

Shorten would probably avoid the media, sending out Plibersek to say that Labor finds it a bit icky. However, because they're afraid of losing the next election, she would be required to spend the next 10 minutes saying that they also believe in freedom and Australianism.

Yagharek

Any sightings of mainstream media with the balls to call them neo nazis yet? The caption of that guy was anti Islam protester, which is a bit specific when there is a reference to Hitler right there in the sign.

14 88 is the Hitler reference isn't it?

Disgusting to see we have openly proud neo nazis in this country

1437187054970szjxy.jpg

not racist but FUCK THOSE NON-WHITES 14/88

Saw a little snippet on the news where someone else from the march on the reclaim side was screaming at ths clown saying he wasn't welcome. All for the cameras maybe? Thought at heart I don't think Reclaim Australia is a full on neo-nazi, white supremacist organisiation, just bogans hating on anything Muslim, but they have clearly attracted all sorts of fringe lunatics.

Arksy

14 88 is the Hitler reference isn't it?

Disgusting to see we have openly proud neo nazis in this country

14 representing 14 words written by David Lane, "We must secure the existance of our people and a future for white children."

88 representing David Lane's 88 precepts, or sometimes the eighth letter in the alphabet (H), to represent Heil Hitler.

Stolen from da interwebz cause I had nfi myself.

Yagharek

I thought yeah it was an abbreviation of just hh.

I think the subset of reclaim australia is the united patriot front, and they seem to be hardcore right wing neo nazis. Probably terrorists too.

bomma_man

14 representing 14 words written by David Lane, "We must secure the existance of our people and a future for white children."

88 representing David Lane's 88 precepts, or sometimes the eighth letter in the alphabet (H), to represent Heil Hitler.

Stolen from da interwebz cause I had nfi myself.

You're probably on some kind of watch list now lol...

I find Julie Bishop's comments to be interesting in terms of how much federal resources have been directed at Islamic extremists and how much to right wing extremists, despite both being a significant threat.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ans-to-attend-rightwing-rally-20150717-giebph

Meanwhile...

http://www.smh.com.au/national/righ...-radicalisation-say-academics-20150717-giduqp

Oh

Yagharek

I am unspeakably disappointed in this country at the moment.

How has the level of discourse sunk so low?
How has it reached a point where neo nazis are permitted, tolerated and even encouraged by MPS to exercise freedom of speech which is basically a return to White Australia sentiments?

I'm a white male and I've even noticed people talk to me about "the black problem" with respect to aboriginals, for example (fucking west australia cab drivers are a bastion for racism). It's like racists see a white guy and expect a sympathetic ear to their insane ramblings.

This country is increasingly insular and fucked and things will get worse before they get better.

People in Reclaim Australia need to be monitored in case they do something violent. I'm more worried about them than any violence from Muslims by an order of magnitude.

Jintor

This picture could literally be seen a million different ways, it's a single snap. He might just be being polite and not trying to escalate anything. If he's sitting there talking and nodding and whatever than fine but it's a lot to assume just from that picture. He's not even looking at the guy.

internet lynch mobbing over this is dumb

Arksy

hmn yase its a great idea to give the benefit of the doubt to a buncha cops known for blatant racism

We're not talking about a bunch of cops. We're talking about one cop. None of those links at all link this one guy to any of the things mentioned above. Yes, the police have a racism problem, but going after one guy and making a shit-load of assumptions is exactly the kind of behaviour they're hypocritically railing against.

D.Lo

We're not talking about a bunch of cops. We're talking about one cop. None of those links at all link this one guy to any of the things mentioned above. Yes, the police have a racism problem, but going after one guy and making a shit-load of assumptions is exactly the kind of behaviour they're hypocritically railing against.
Exactly WTF?

The argument is literally a handshake makes you a Nazi.

Maybe that cop was thanking a group for complying with a request. It could literally be anything.

hirokazu

It's a bit of a shame that some anti-racism protestors attempted to break through police lines in the Melbourne protests.

Yeah, don't do that. It's a bit ugly when the good guys are misbehaving more than the people they're protesting against.

Arksy

There's an idiot element in every political stance.

As much as I want to keep my short quip as is, imagine the response they might have gotten if they planned to stage a rally in solidarity against racism a day after? I'm willing to bet they would have had ten times the turnout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom