• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

This is probably my favourite tweet on the matter:
oP0x90d.png

I'd been looking to describe it in those terms for ages but couldn't think of how.

Fredescu

Jay Weatherhill's behind it too. Kind of bugs me that the federal government's squeeze is paying off for them.

I'm having trouble finding details of his level of support. It sounds like he wants GST to apply to financial services, but not raise it, which doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I'm having trouble finding details of his level of support. It sounds like he wants GST to apply to financial services, but not raise it, which doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Yeah I think he is being verballed. All he said was he was going to go into talks not ruling anything out unlike the libs who have already ruled everything out that isn't GST. He did mention the financial services stuff.

1437384027583.jpg

Helicopter Bronnie in the background. Best thing about all the rorts is Bronnie will forever be drawn as a helicopter or at least have one of the propeller hats from now on!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
1) What's good.
2) What's right.
3) What's fair.
4) What's proper.
5) What's liked.
6) What's Australian.
7) What's just.
8) What's best.
9) What's decent.
10) What's reasonable.
11) What's Collingwood?

That said I do give him some props for including DV on the list, he seems to take quite a strong stance on the issue in general.

>: (

She's not claiming the post-hoc immunity any more often than anyone else.
Right, Bishop is being treated the same way any Speaker involved in an expense scandal would ;)

senahorse

Hopefully they stick with it, this country is just perfect for wind, solar and wave power generation. 50% by 2030 is an ambitious but great target to be heading towards.

JC Sera

I'm curious with Bill Shorten being accused of ott travel pricing, that it seemed like a perfect opportunity for him to step down with out being accused of back stabbing. Also makes labour look like the bigger party who deal with BS when it happens, and gives consequences to its members.

Or that might be an idealistic view of a potential situation.

Fredescu

I guess that's that then, new speaker before Summer?

I find it interesting that Brisbane and Melbourne are going after her, but the Tele in Sydney is mostly silent. That just happens to line up with what those cities think of the Libs at the moment. I think it shows just how reflective and populist those papers are, when we sometimes fall into the trap of thinking they.. whats the opposite of reflective... make people do stuff.

bomma_man

I find it interesting that Brisbane and Melbourne are going after her, but the Tele in Sydney is mostly silent. That just happens to line up with what those cities think of the Libs at the moment. I think it shows just how reflective and populist those papers are, when we sometimes fall into the trap of thinking they.. whats the opposite of reflective... make people do stuff.

Proactive? Coercive?

senahorse

Even so, there is rarely anything bad to be said about the Coalition in the Courier Mail, even when popular opinion suggests there should be. I will be surprised if she lasts the rest of the year.

bomma_man

Even so, there is rarely anything bad to be said about the Coalition in the Courier Mail, even when popular opinion suggests there should be. I will be surprised if she lasts the rest of the year.

They don't seem to have any problem throwing them under the bus for blatantly stupid shit like this and the Prince Phillip thing, but heaven forbid they critisise substantive policy.

Shaneus

Labor to set renewable energy target at 50% by 2030. A result of the largest rank and file grassroots campaign in the party. Very happy to see.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/bill-shorten-to-unveil-50-renewable-energy-target-at-labor-conference-20150721-gih4bp.html
Ballsy as fuck. I think that'll help them. They need to set themselves apart from the Libs as much as possible, and all they've really done lately is agree.

I'm curious with Bill Shorten being accused of ott travel pricing, that it seemed like a perfect opportunity for him to step down with out being accused of back stabbing. Also makes labour look like the bigger party who deal with BS when it happens, and gives consequences to its members.

Or that might be an idealistic view of a potential situation.
I heard Plibersek's name getting mentioned in the context of something recently... could this be heading towards that? Make some big calls, make Labor look great and the Libs look shit, put in a new leader *after* the union thing as kind of blown over so as to not make it look reactionary.

senahorse

They don't seem to have any problem throwing them under the bus for blatantly stupid shit like this and the Prince Phillip thing, but heaven forbid they critisise substantive policy.

Yes it's very annoying, and you're dreaming if you think they will go to task on the goverement for their environmental policies, which reading this:

7fb65923116377b1a5e4920dc2c91edf.300.173.jpg

MurdochSeaIceTweetGrab.jpg

rm_tweet.jpg

murdoch-ice-tweet.jpg

isn't surprising.

Yagharek

John Safran's thing on the Reclaim Australia rally is a great read: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...than-he-expected/story-fnu2q5nu-1227451292484

This bit in particular:

Danny Nallah’s back on the ute. He starts screaming about his love of his brothers in the United Patriot Front. Still, I don’t think this is the mask slipping off a racist self-hating brown man. I think Danny is leveraging secular white Australia’s xenophobia to serve his Christian agenda.

Reclaim Australia is a concerning amalgam of far right Christianity and far far far right neo nazi racism. Or centrist racism if you calibrated your political spectrum against John Howard's.

hirokazu

1437384027583.jpg

Helicopter Bronnie in the background. Best thing about all the rorts is Bronnie will forever be drawn as a helicopter or at least have one of the propeller hats from now on!

Haha, that's amazing.

Labor's 50% RET for 2030 is also amazing. I hope they keep their word.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
The gall of these jokers to demand a "mature debate" about the GST barely a week after they resurrected the carbon pricing bogeyman.

Fredescu

The gall of these jokers to demand a "mature debate" about the GST barely a week after they resurrected the carbon pricing bogeyman.

That could apply to any week of the year. The modus operandi of this government is to avoid debate as much as possible. That's the intended result of slogans and repetition, repeating the same phrase in answer to questions is a refusal to engage. "Mature debate" is just another method of silencing debate, implying that any disagreement on principled grounds is not sufficiently "mature".

Dryk

It annoys me that Border Force staff were quite happy to arrest people and send them off to the gulags but will strike over their pay being cut.

Uh oh...

Looks like Joe just got a hell of a bill. Fairfax to pay 15%, Joe the rest.

ABC

One thing with the death of Don Randall, it will force any potential early election out into the open.

Yagharek

Uh oh...

Looks like Joe just got a hell of a bill. Fairfax to pay 15%, Joe the rest.

ABC

One thing with the death of Don Randall, it will force any potential early election out into the open.

Time to buy another investment property to claim allowances for.

As for Don Randall, not to speak ill of the dead, but I had no respect for him seeing as he didn't want to be in parliament for the apology to stolen generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom