• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Uh oh...

Looks like Joe just got a hell of a bill. Fairfax to pay 15%, Joe the rest.

ABC

One thing with the death of Don Randall, it will force any potential early election out into the open.

Coming out way behind financially while trying to get ahead huh.

Well, that result seems to be squaring up with Joe's time as treasurer.

I find it interesting that Brisbane and Melbourne are going after her, but the Tele in Sydney is mostly silent. That just happens to line up with what those cities think of the Libs at the moment. I think it shows just how reflective and populist those papers are, when we sometimes fall into the trap of thinking they.. whats the opposite of reflective... make people do stuff.

While it's a poor analogy after even a second of examination, it made me think of the differing approaches to dictionary authorship, presciptivism vs descriptivism. Sometimes the tabloids try to tell us what to think, other times they just reflect what's being thought.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
the car of the ocean
I understood that reference. I've been pleasantly surprised by Pickering's show but bring back MAH.
While it's a poor analogy after even a second of examination, it made me think of the differing approaches to dictionary authorship, presciptivism vs descriptivism. Sometimes the tabloids try to tell us what to think, other times they just reflect what's being thought.
"Mr Editor Sir, we just got two press releases, one Labor, one Greens. Both policy documents. Should we analyse them and do some write ups?"
"No need, I've got our headlines already. 'Union thugs love debt and deficit' and 'Global warming isn't real'. Make sure to use plenty of pictures of Gillard."
"Ok sir, we'll get right on that. Also, a Coalition MP said something silly on Twitter and it's going viral."
"Don't want to seem biased, run with it. Something like 'strong leader Abbott can't afford for this to distract from his important reforms'."

Danoss

I wonder how they're planning on implementing the tax on foreign digital goods. The European VAT was a nightmare and resulted in a lot of those in the indie tabletop RPG scene having to say "if you're in the EU, we can't sell to you, sorry". If they're required to be tax compliant for Australia, sales might also be flat-out blocked to Australians as it's unlikely to be worth the effort. It may be an odd example, but it's the one I use more than any other.

For importation of physical goods, it is laughable that they think it will make any difference at all. Physical books being used as an example was the best part. Removing GST from domestic book sales and adding them to imports still wouldn't even be enough to help the situation. The added cost of international postage, especially from the US, still isn't enough to squash the price difference. Of course, this goes unnoticed if you can just get a chopper ride to a Lane Cove book store and not concern yourself with the cost.

Jintor

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bi...-turnback-policy/story-fni0fiyv-1227452897779

EXCLUSIVE: LABOR will go to the next election promising to turn back asylum-seeker boats in a dramatic policy switch which will test Opposition Leader Bill Shorten’s leadership.

The Herald Sun can reveal Mr Shorten and Immigration spokesman Richard Marles will endorse a new policy which will see Labor go to the election vowing to turn back asylum seeker boats intercepted on the way to Australia.

The decision will set up a massive brawl with the party’s Left, which opposes turnbacks, and could be undermined almost immediately by a vote at the party’s national conference on Saturday.

futurama-politics1.jpg

Sky confirms too

Fredescu

Dramatic policy switch? Did I miss something? When have they differentiated themselves on asylum seekers?

That's an interesting link actually.

danm999

No seriously I hate Hockey too but how is him coming out behind in this situation in any way fair?

Because what was actually a Pyrrhic victory was reported as a total victory for some reason.

The judge pretty much said Hockey had a shit case not worth much.

The articles in question were thrown out as not defamatory. They were basically the core of the matter, not the headline "Treasurer for Sale".

I can't imagine the request for an injunction for Fairfax from every again suggesting he was corrupt endeared him to the judge either.

Jintor

the main reason malice was attributed was because of the text saying that the publication of the (substantially true politically information conveying article) would 'crucify him'. if they hadn't sent that it probably would've flown.

Dryk

Because what was actually a Pyrrhic victory was reported as a total victory for some reason.

The judge pretty much said Hockey had a shit case not worth much.

The articles in question were thrown out as not defamatory. They were basically the core of the matter, not the headline "Treasurer for Sale".

I can't imagine the request for an injunction for Fairfax from every again suggesting he was corrupt endeared him to the judge either.
Ah. I hadn't realised that he won the case on a "Well you're technically correct... I guess..." basis. That makes a bit more sense then.

It annoys me that Border Force staff were quite happy to arrest people and send them off to the gulags but will strike over their pay being cut.

In fairness its largely not the same staff. The pay cuts were mainly to staff who aren't particularly involved with Operation Secretive Borders (the pay cuts were mainly aimed at the staff who performed the normal duties you'd expect from Customs and Immigration rather than from a department named Border Force). Being considerably less fair: Its absolutely bizarre to cut anything in a Department of Security Theatre, that you just created, while you're ramping up the the Security Theatre rhetoric , this is the kind of idiocy that fails the 5 year old advisor test of the Evil Overlord List.

On a personal note I came through Immigrations/Biosec at Perth yesterday. It was hell. It took an hour and 20 minutes to get processed. I got a card from them about the strike , asking for support and giving me a URL to visit. I admit to having mixed feelings and thinking that asking people who'd spent 80*+ minutes waiting to get through a line for support was kind of dubious.

*I was relatively lucky. I have one of the newish Australian ePassport things so I got to basically skip Immigration.

Will wait for the vote from the Conference before passing final judgement.

It would be fucking hilarious if this policy decision gets shut down at the conference, really.

Though, some of the party left have been worrying about whether taking the moral high ground would be costly in the next election (basically the classic "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" dilemma), even though actual polls have indicated that most voters actually don't consider 'illegal immigration' a priority issue. Hopefully the left wing stick to their guns and actually get the numbers to override Shorten.

It would be fucking hilarious if this policy decision gets shut down at the conference, really.

Though, some of the party left have been worrying about whether taking the moral high ground would be costly in the next election (basically the classic "don't let perfect be the enemy of good" dilemma), even though actual polls have indicated that most voters actually don't consider 'illegal immigration' a priority issue. Hopefully the left wing stick to their guns and actually get the numbers to override Shorten.

The saying is weird when you really think about it though. The perfect often has to be the enemy of the good because people are often more than willing to settle for "meh good enough" and consenting to a dodgy solution often means that's all you're ever going to get.

Not to mention in this case its more like "don't let the barely acceptable (ethical position) be the enemy of bad (political self interest)".

The saying is weird when you really think about it though. The perfect often has to be the enemy of the good because people are often more than willing to settle for "meh good enough" and consenting to a dodgy solution often means that's all you're ever going to get.

Not to mention in this case its more like "don't let the barely acceptable (ethical position) be the enemy of bad (political self interest)".

Fair enough. I'd rather just call turn-backs as I see it - an openly racist policy that really actually does nothing to save lives, and the government can't prove it is saving lives unless they violate their rather blatant distaste for transparency on the issue. Therefore, I'd rather Labor take a principled stance instead of cowering in fear of a possible scare campaign.

I wonder who in the political landscape is ballsy enough to actually call the anti-refugee rhetoric for the racist garbage that it is?

danm999

Labor is basically running the safest campaign imaginable to get back in power.

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that they don't really mean what they say about boat people and will put the issue to bed once they're next in power (at least until the next Coalition leader tries to re-spark those embers), but that said it doesn't mean I'm going to vote for them.

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe that they don't really mean what they say about boat people and will put the issue to bed once they're next in power (at least until the next Coalition leader tries to re-spark those embers), but that said it doesn't mean I'm going to vote for them.

When you're of the political persuasion of most of the regulars in this thread, its pretty much inevitable you will effectively vote for Labor, its just how many and which other parties come first and if you're in one of the seats where the Greens or progressive independents have a chance how directly. Labor realizes that too which is a significant chunk of the reason they refuse to take any mildly controversial stands, its better for them to lose 5 seats to their Left (who will largely vote with them anyway) than 5 to their Right (which may cost them government). Preferential voting is infinitely preferable to First Past the Post but you still get some of the same problems, especially in the House of Reps due to its rather Majoritarian in nation.

Sadly, I'm stuck in Joe Hockey's seat, what with living in Chatswood and all. That fucker certainly doesn't represent me. Then again, his abysmal performance as treasurer might actually convinced his constituents to finally kick him out, who knows. But I'm voting Progressives or Greens at the next election, depending who's available I can vote for.

wonzo

Banned
thanks labor

The push to have Labor adopt the Coalition’s policy of turning asylum seeker boats back to sea would put the party in a more extreme policy position than some far-right parties in Europe and force persecuted people back into the hands of their persecutors, according to the head of the Refugee Council of Australia.

Quasar

That really worked out for Beazley in the tampa election.

senahorse

Can't argue with that, we certainly do have one of the worst goverments in living memory, as well as having a terrible 'opposition'. The potential silver lining is that the smaller parties, particularly the greens, stand to benefit from it. I am doubtful I will be voting for a major party next election.

Shaneus

Mad props to Burnside. I know he's defended some bastards in his time, but lately there's very little to argue with him about.

I'm ashamed to say that Marles is my local member (although I think that with recent rezoning, that may not quite be the case). Despise him thoroughly.

Edit: Nope, is my local member. I voted Greens last election, though.

danm999

Mad props to Burnside. I know he's defended some bastards in his time, but lately there's very little to argue with him about.

I'm ashamed to say that Marles is my local member (although I think that with recent rezoning, that may not quite be the case). Despise him thoroughly.

Yeah he was turrible on Q&A a few weeks ago. Can't believe he was given a ministerial portfolio.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Been in office all morning. We haven't had a single phone call or walk in condemning the (possible) policy. Not sure if I'm more suprised or saddened by that.

Quasar

Been in office all morning. We haven't had a single phone call or walk in condemning the (possible) policy. Not sure if I'm more suprised or saddened by that.

As upset as I am about it all, I can't imagine me walking into my local members office and condemning the whole thing to whatever frontline staff there is (I'm an introvert). Or even really phoning. Closest I've gotten in the past was writing to my local member over Conroys Filter.

And since then I've abandoned Labor as a total lost cause, so I'm left with the 'why even bother' feeling given the parties continuing lurch to the right.

I imagine you might see more upset, just after the horse has bolted.

I've never lived in an electorate that didn't have National carved into its bones, so not like I'd be wandering into or phoning a Labor MPs office unless it was in a portfolio capacity.

Yagharek

That's probably because they're cynical enough to expect it was going to happen. The labor party has no moral compass and sells out to the highest electoral bidder.

Greens should be seeing a vote increase.

Quasar

I've never lived in an electorate that didn't have National carved into its bones, so not like I'd be wandering into or phoning a Labor MPs office unless it was in a portfolio capacity.

Heh. Mine, Newcastle, has been strongly Labor probably since federation.

Anyway, given the timing I was encouraged to just write an electronic letter to my local member. As pointless as those things probably are.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Heh. Mine, Newcastle, has been strongly Labor probably since federation.

Anyway, given the timing I was encouraged to just write an electronic letter to my local member. As pointless as those things probably are.
I'll keep an eye out for it ;)

Fun fact. Newcastle has been Labor at Federal since Federation. Is also very left leaning hence the anger internally here today.

Burnside going ham. Unfortunately they will easily enough ignore his points since he's just a bleeding heart or something equally dismissive

Fredescu

This might explain why:

Whatever the rhetoric from the left and refugee advocates, the electoral reality is fairly simple. There is a substantial group of voters -- in April, more than a quarter -- who still think the current government's policy on asylum seekers is too soft. Another 34% think the current policy is appropriate. Twenty-two per cent of people think the current policy is too tough. But less than a third of that 22% are Labor voters. Even assuming all of them shift to the Greens on boat turnbacks -- highly unlikely -- their preferences will flow back to Labor anyway, except perhaps in a couple of inner-city seats where MPs like Anthony Albanese -- Shorten's rival for the leadership of the party in 2013 -- are.

But the flipside of losing votes to the Greens is that more than a quarter of Labor voters think the current policy is too soft. Ruling out boat turnbacks has nearly as much potential to lose votes as embracing them -- except the "too soft" votes, once lost, won't flow back to Labor via preferences, because they'll go to the Coalition. In short, the argument that Labor will lose votes embracing turnbacks doesn't stand up.

From: http://www.crikey.com.au/2015/07/23/labor-on-turnbacks-moral-conundrum-political-no-brainer/
Link to poll: http://www.essentialvision.com.au/too-soft-or-too-tough-on-asylum-seekers-6

Rubixcuba

Banned
Can't read all of that at moment, but I think what we can all take is that the majority of Australians either accept the policy or wish it was more strict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom