• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubixcuba

Banned
latest

Something like this I imagine.

Shaneus

Transfield should be bought to the ground.

Heydon staying is amazing, hello High Court appeal!
What? He's staying? Then how come it took so long to make his announcement/decision public?

I agree, no good can come of him staying there... at least, not for the Libs.

Shaneus

I find the 'I can't do email' excuse pretty amusing.
Likewise. Isn't that exactly the excuse used for the visa thing over the weekend?

And he delayed his finding (on himself, obv.) TWICE.

Cue people finding emails he's responded to directly.

Apparently he was too busy to notice the giant Liberal Party logo front and centre on the leaflet.
He also gets people to read them to him. And feed him food, and drive him wherever he needs to go. At this point, I'd be surprised if he wipes his own arse.

Adam Bandt brings it, too:
Agreeing to attend a Liberal fundraiser doesn’t pass the pub test. The commissioner deciding himself that he’s not biased won’t change that ...
The commission’s work will forever be tarnished and instead of waiting for further legal action, Tony Abbott should step in and bring it to an end.
If a judge agreed to attend a fundraiser for the prosecution, there would be a mistrial.
If Tony Abbott insists on continuing his inquiry, parliament should have the final say over any new commissioner and any new terms of reference.
From here

Edit: Holy shit, his response was 67 pages? What in the flying fuck?

Edit #2: lol
The attorney general, who recommended Heydon for the position, says he (Brandis) had foreseen that the Labor party and the union movement would throw everything at the inquiry.

"I wanted someone whose reputation was so strong, whose integrity was so beyond question, that he would withstand all the mud flung at him."
Never mind that no matter what or how much mud might get flung, because the decision fell on Heydon himself, he couldn't NOT withstand it. What a joke.

danm999

Dreyfus says they're taking vote to remove Heydon back to the Senate. I find myself wondering again if they have the numbers from the cross bench.

Not that a vote passing would do them all that much good I suspect, given Cosgrove is GG, but maybe that's the point, the optics of an Abbott appointed GG protecting the Royal Commission.

Arksy

Wasn't heydon embroiled in some dodgey shit before he got picked for the HC? Hardly beyon reproach.

No he wasn't. The controversy was about a speech he made where he called judicial activism the end of the rule of law. It was controversial because people took it as a job pitch for being a HC judge. It's a pretty minor controversy though. Pretty different from just appointing your attorney general to the high court.

Arksy

It's not Cosgrove that's the issue either. The GG acts on instructions from the PM. That's the point of democracy. The house is the proper chamber for such a vote, not the Senate. The senate can jump up and down all it wants but unless it's blocking a supply bill the GG basically has to act on instructions from the PM.

danm999

It's not Cosgrove that's the issue either. The GG acts on instructions from the PM. That's the point of democracy. The house is the proper chamber for such a vote, not the Senate. The senate can jump up and down all it wants but unless it's blocking a supply bill the GG basically has to act on instructions from the PM.

Yeah feels a bit like a stunt. If they wanted to fight this the courts seem like the place.

Arksy

Yeah feels a bit like a stunt. If they wanted to fight this the courts seem like the place.

They might find it even more difficult there. I don't really know what they can argue. A royal commission has pretty extensive powers.

This is a former high court judge we are talking about he wouldn't spend fucking two weeks writing a 60+ page judgment unless he was pretty sure it wouldn't be thrown out at the first hurdle. This guy will forget more about law than any of us here will probably ever know. Still could happen I guess. We will have to see.

bomma_man

No he wasn't. The controversy was about a speech he made where he called judicial activism the end of the rule of law. It was controversial because people took it as a job pitch for being a HC judge. It's a pretty minor controversy though. Pretty different from just appointing your attorney general to the high court.

Fair enough. I had no memory of it whatsoever, just that there was something.

He's further cemented as Australia's Scalia with that speech topic though lol

Arksy

He's further cemented as Australia's Scalia with that speech topic though lol

He's as close as we're going to get, still fairly different though. He's more of a textualist than an originalist but they're both fairly "small c" conservative. A lot of his judgements are about restraining the executive and telling the government to fuck off. There's a fair few of his judgements and dissents that I'm willing to put money on that people here would agree with.

Also 67 pages ain't nothing. Some single judgements run into the hundreds of pages. He's a retired judge, old habits die hard.

bomma_man

He's as close as we're going to get, still fairly different though. He's more of a textualist than an originalist but they're both fairly "small c" conservative. A lot of his judgements are about restraining the executive and telling the government to fuck off. There's a fair few of his judgements and dissenting that I'm willing to put money on that people here would agree with.

Also 67 pages ain't nothing. Some single judgements run into the hundreds of pages. He's a retired judge, old habits die hard.

That's true, I've said before that I agreed with his decision in Pape. (Fuck French his tenuous extensions of executive power. Fuck Verdalis (sp) in particular).

danm999

When the news is objectively bad, fiasco fascist operations, Cambodia playing us for idiots, NBN costs exploding, reporting it must look like bias to the delusional.

Arksy

Yeah well I think former cops shouldn't be allowed to enter parliament but you know you don't always get what you want.

Shaneus

So, apparently Bolt will be a regular (I think) with Neil Mitchell on 3AW starting from today. I assume weekly. This could be juicy as all hell, but I've realised recently I kind of can't stand Mitchell.

Hopefully some shitfights come of this.

Yagharek

So, apparently Bolt will be a regular (I think) with Neil Mitchell on 3AW starting from today. I assume weekly. This could be juicy as all hell, but I've realised recently I kind of can't stand Mitchell.

Hopefully some shitfights come of this.

They both deserve each other.

Arksy

After all this is the guy that got pretty much everyone else (except Abbott) in the coalition to go, "Mate, you're going a bit too far. We have courts for a reason.

Yagharek

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-...for-children-to-be-removed-from-nauru/6738644
Key points:
  • Senate committee finds conditions are 'not adequate, appropriate or safe'
  • Calls for 'full audit' of allegations of sexual abuse
  • Recommends all asylum seeker children and their families be removed from Nauru
  • Requests reasonable access to detention centre for Human Rights Commission, media

So, Senate being unaustralian?

edit: less facetiously, again, when it comes to human rights, WHERE THE FUCK IS TIM WILSON

Arksy

Reading the comments lol. I'll be honest the amount of sour grapes and squirming from the union movement is oh so fucking satisfying. So much QQ over their crap being exposed.

Shaneus

If only the investigation into asylum seeker treatment could be as thorough and well-publicised (and funded) as the union investigation.

You know, the thing that actually affects the lives of people.

Edit: lol
Immigration Minister Peter Dutton rejected the report as a political witch hunt, pointing out the committee is dominated by Labor and the Greens.

The committee includes two Labor senators, two Liberals, and Sarah Hanson-Young from the Greens.

Arksy

If only the investigation into asylum seeker treatment could be as thorough and well-publicised (and funded) as the union investigation.

You know, the thing that actually affects the lives of people.

Edit: lol

You're getting no argument from me on the first point. That also needs a royal fucking commission like right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom