• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Forget domestic violence perpetrators murdering their partners and children, forget racists, forget institutions harbouring child abusers, forget wannabe terrorists and forget Kyle Sandilands, the worst of Australia is people making fun of Peter Dutton on twitter after he once again reminded everyone that he's a thoughtless dipstick.

Yrael

Forget domestic violence perpetrators murdering their partners and children, forget racists, forget institutions harbouring child abusers, forget wannabe terrorists and forget Kyle Sandilands, the worst of Australia is people making fun of Peter Dutton on twitter after he once again reminded everyone that he's a thoughtless dipstick.

Well said.

Just about everything Tone says makes me spit chips.

Rlan

aWzWkop.jpg

Yagharek

Don't forget the LNP seems happy to contract out the detention of refugees in other countries to companies that have included child abusers and rapists as well. And then sack whistleblowers and legislate against protecting whistleblowers.

Bernbaum

The Liberal party needs to dump Tony Abbott.

He's just awful.

There needs to be more incentive for smart people to enter politics. Australia has some very bright people and it's a real shame that not many of them are choosing a political career. We deserve better representation.

JC Sera

The Liberal party needs to dump Tony Abbott.

He's just awful.

There needs to be more incentive for smart people to enter politics. Australia has some very bright people and it's a real shame that not many of them are choosing a political career. We deserve better representation.
I couldn't think for a second why any intelligent person would avoid politics
truly the politician we need

Fredescu

All we have to do is find someone who power doesn't corrupt and then

Fredescu

All we have to do is find someone who power doesn't corrupt and then

Shitty joke, but this guy has a point. It's legit fucking difficult to actual be a good politician. To even be in a position of power in the first place, you have to understand power and understand how to use it, almost definitely stepping on a bunch of toes to get there.

You have to have a good broad understanding of political philosophy and political history, but also have an excellent feel for the mood in the here and now.

You have to be an active fund raiser for your party and yourself, but have the integrity not to let these funds affect your political judgement, which in short amounts to asking people to give you money for nothing.

You have to be able to position yourself such that the work of thousands of people in the public service appears to have be directed by you, but still command their respect such that they continue to do that work.

You have to make bad people feel good about themselves.

You have to placate dozens of competing interests, none of whom you can satisfy completely. Some of those interests control the majority of the press. Some of those interests fund your party campaigns. Some of those interests fund your enemies but have the ear of the people. Some of those interests genuinely need your help but helping them too much damages your ability to help them at all.

You have to think on your feet and deal with conflict loving press and social media every day about every issue. You have to be able to speak convincingly about world issues, economics, and morality.

You are oncall 24/7 for every major world event, every significant death, any event that captures the imagination of the people. Whatever it is, you must be across it and you must make a statement within hours, likely having to answer questions from the press about a subject which 24 hours ago you had no knowledge of.

And you have to do all this amid people bitching and moaning every six months about how much you get paid.

Smart doesn't really cover it.

JC Sera

And you have to do all this amid people bitching and moaning every six months about how much you get paid.

Smart doesn't really cover it.
Ok i was with you until this point

but yeah its a high pressure, high social, likely to be dragged through the mud out the front of the media circus job
Common sense would ward against it

you need someone who is passionate & dedicated, and passion & dedication doesn't always come from smart places

Fredescu

Ok i was with you until this point

If you put that fact up against the fact that any politician of any integrity has probably turned down a bunch of money already and I can really see it grating. After a while it's gotta be like "oh, fine, I'll change this a little and take that board position once I resign" or similar. And I mostly mentioned it because Bern was talking about incentives for the right people to want to be politicians. Imagine having your remuneration up for constant public debate.

Jintor

evidently the only people who are good to have in power are the people who don't want it.

i therefore propose we determine a way to force high political office on people who don't want it

danm999

Just give them a written test that has questions like this;

How hard should we bomb Syria;

1. Hard
  2. Very hard
  3. Extremely hard
  4. With more fury than the fire of a thousand suns
  5. All of the above. There's a by-election on after all.
  6. Why are we bombing Syria again?

And anybody who selects anything but the last answer should be disqualified.

danm999

That cartoon is spot on. Usually there's at least an attempt to fudge a roadmap though.

"We'll be greeted as liberators by Iraqis".

"ARVN will drive the Viet Cong back to the 17th parallel".

"We'll seize Berlin and all be home by Christmas".

There doesn't seem to be anything like that in Syria, even a fantasy narrative is absent. We're committing to bombing an ill-defined area of land for an ill-defined amount of time, where even complete physical destruction of the enemy would simply empower another terrible tyrant breathing room to further prosecute a civil war against his own civilians.

Strategy at least implies you have aims.

Dryk

evidently the only people who are good to have in power are the people who don't want it.

i therefore propose we determine a way to force high political office on people who don't want it
Douglas Adam's figured this out decades ago. His proposed solution is unfortunately impractical

Arksy

Why are they doing this again? The fact that coal is a rather abundant cheap source of fuel isn't really controversial...

Yagharek

Dryk

as i recall, the ruler of the universe was some guy in a shack who was unaware that he was the ruler of the universe and would be hard pressed to remember what he done five minutes ago.
I can't remember if he couldn't remember. But he was a solipsist so he didn't care. But as a solipsist hermit he was essentially free from all bias and conflict of interest, so they could freely ask him what the right thing to do was and he would tell them what he thought.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't even wait until after the by-election.Gives Labor a few days to ramp up the effort to try to actually win it.

Jintor

my twitter also exploded

anyway so yeah if turnbull gets in it's going to be a much harder slog for bill 'fade into the background and/or nod at pretty much everything' shorten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom