• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Can we all just take a moment to reflect on how utterly incompetent Abbott was as a leader. He survived less time than Gillard, who had to contend with minority government, a hostile media, Rudd constantly white-anting and rampant misogyny, whilst he had total party unity and the explicit support of our media. Truly a political pygmy.

Also relevant: http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article...-schadenfreude
It has been my sincerest hope since the last election that Abbott either a) lasted less than a term or b) lost his first election. In the case of a) we can say, as you pointed out, that he was PM for less time than Gillard (and Rudd, in total). In the case of b), we could say that both Gillard and Rudd were instated as PM twice as many times as him.

Yagharek

I really, really hope so. But because there's no great division that can be seen in Labor (at least, not publicly) I doubt we'll get anything.

Did Abbott last as long as Juliar? I have a feeling he did, but my memory is shithouse.

Gillard lasted from late 2010 before that election until mid 2013. Abbott only lasted two years and a week til now.

danm999

I really, really hope so. But because there's no great division that can be seen in Labor (at least, not publicly) I doubt we'll get anything.

Did Abbott last as long as Juliar? I have a feeling he did, but my memory is shithouse.

No.

Gillard was 24 June 2010 – 27 June 2013.

Just found out about the spill. It should have happened much sooner.

I've got to say that Turnbull is right about Shorten not being fit to be PM. Unfortunately, it should be the Labor party room saying this.

Poona

Also, why can't this happen to Labor while they're in opposition as well? They need a new fucking leader too.

As much as I'd like to see someone like Albo in charge, I don't think it's as easy as that. I thought Kevin brought in new laws when he was last in charge to prevent someone from being rolled again as easily.

Yagharek

Let's float ideas of suitable Labor leaders.

Albo and Plibersek seem forum favourites.

What about the former treasurer Wayne Swan? Or is he damaged goods due to Abbott's relentless campaign against him?

Bowen and Burke and dreyfus are all associated with broken refugee policies.

Maybe a long shot for future senior spots could be alannah mactiernan.

Yrael

ABC's article:

Liberal leadership: Malcolm Turnbull tells Tony Abbott he will challenge

Former Liberal opposition leader and communications minister Malcolm Turnbull has resigned from Cabinet in an attempt to force a leadership ballot.

Mr Turnbull has also resigned from Cabinet.

He and Foreign Minister Julie Bishop met with the Prime Minister to request the leadership ballot earlier today.

"A little while ago I met with the Prime Minister and advised him that I would be challenging him for the leadership of the Liberal Party," Mr Turnbull told reporters at Federal Parliament.

"Now this is not a decision that anyone could take lightly. I have consulted with many, many colleagues, many Australians, many of our supporters in every walk of life.

"This course of action has been urged on me by many people over a long period of time.

[...]

wonzo

Banned
Let's float ideas of suitable Labor leaders.

Albo and Plibersek seem forum favourites.

What about the former treasurer Wayne Swan? Or is he damaged goods due to Abbott's relentless campaign against him?

Bowen and Burke and dreyfus are all associated with broken refugee policies.

Maybe a long shot for future senior spots could be alannah mactiernan.
swan's been heavily associated with plibersek as of late

Did not see this coming so soon.

There were rumors of this very scenario last week, going before the Canning bi-election to try and sure up the vote and because parliament was off for 3 weeks after this week.

Real talk, we are the coup capital of the world. Reflect poorly on us as a nation. 5 and a half years of leadership changes.

Not really, it only reflects poorly on our political elite. Why should we have to put up with poor leaders? I find it healthy that we are able to recognise poor leaders and through opinion polls are able to shape the choices inside of government. I'd rather have 5 years of change than 5 years of a single terrible leader who through long fixed terms we are unable to remove.

Yrael

Not really, it only reflects poorly on our political elite. Why should we have to put up with poor leaders? I find it healthy that we are able to recognise poor leaders and through opinion polls are able to shape the choices inside of government. I'd rather have 5 years of change than 5 years of a single terrible leader who through long fixed terms we are unable to remove.

I despise Tony Abbott and just about everything he represents, but don't want Malcolm Turnbull in charge either. On the flipside, Bill Shorten has been the most ineffective leader of the opposition that I can remember, and would probably be equally terrible as a PM.

Terrible leaders all round.

legend166

Will Turnbull do anything about housing costs?

I'm gonna guess no. So zzzzZZZZzzzz

(I've turned into a selfish one issue voter, but hey at least it effects a lot of people!)

Rubixcuba

Banned
My comment before was a restatement of Nick O'Malley major point in his book 'the Rise and Fall of Australia' that came out last year. It's essential reading pretty much, really great perspective from an outsider.

Probably slightly over top with coup capital, but it's pretty poor considering how long we had Howard.

I just got to work and have to serve food for 5 hours. Can spill wait til then, please? :(

D.Lo

Libs will win next election now if Labor doesn't ditch their own Albatross.

Turnbull will be the federal Baird.

wonzo

Banned
@lanesainty
Sky reporting that Turnbull will stick to a plebiscite on same-sex marriage.

lmao fucking useless

e:
CO2FWb5UYAAKI1T.jpg:large

I remember quite a few years back saying that Turnbull was the only liberal leader I would actually vote for. I must say I have lost most of my faith in him since then particularly thanks to the NBN. Having said that I have to say he is far preferable to abbott or hockey and honestly if shorten remains I'm charge I would have to take real pause at voting labor next time.

Who am I kidding a green vote is probably coming anyway. Still want that piece of shit Abbott to finally get his comeuppance.

senahorse

Yep. Don't expect a change in policies, because Turnbull doesn't want the right-wing to revolt on him yet again.

Exactly, same shit with a new coat of paint, except this coat of paint is smooth enough to win the majority of the voting public over, a shame the opposition is such a lame duck. If Bill is to stay maybe he needs a few beers before each time he says anything in public.

yepyepyep

Malcolm is not sounding much different. Same policies to placate the hard right of the liberal party. Same government different spokesperson.

Bloody Jeff losing his shit on ABC24. Comparing Abbott to John Key, creepy hair touching aside, Cameron and even Merkel.

That interview was strange to me, remembering what he was saying earlier in the year.

To post what I did in the thread on the spill:
Jeff Kennett, today: "This act by Malcolm Turnbull is one of gross disloyalty, extreme egotism and he is, without a doubt, the Kevin Rudd of the Liberal Party."

But from February:
Earlier, former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett has unloaded on Tony Abbott’s “terminal” leadership, saying he must be dumped “as quickly as possible” or risk destroying the Coalition government.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...207425913?sv=6f86d10a5600c2ee16b5ee6216a623c5

Yagharek

Will Turnbull do anything about housing costs?

I'm gonna guess no. So zzzzZZZZzzzz

(I've turned into a selfish one issue voter, but hey at least it effects a lot of people!)

Leave Sydney. It's something that will not change for a long time.

Edit: leave Melbourne. I had to make the same choice ie leave home for work that meets financial needs. Reality is that melb and Syd are overcooked investors playgrounds.

Kennet never has his shit together anyway. That interview was the equivalent of interviewing mark latham.

Now that's an interesting idea, I wonder where Latham is right now. Assuming he's not in his garden shed wearing a teapot on his head.

Apparently the extra special Prime Minister's pension kicks in once you have served 2 years, 5 days short!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom