• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Turnbull was leader before and wasn't able to build a connection with voter base. The policies he has are the same that Abbott advocated. The messaging and governance will undoubtedly improve but to say he has election edge over Shorten so soon is short-sighted.

It's wishful thinking but it's policy that will hopefully drive the election issues/debates. Not Turnbull is better than Shorten as a person.

Also, where's Tones?

Yagharek

Yeah, I don't think it will be Albo (as much as I'd love for it to be). Other guy has copped too much over the travel thing. So yeah, Tanya or Wong.

I still want Albo there, though :(

Wong is a senator. She can't be opposition leader unless she runs for a lower house seat a la barnaby joyce.

Bernbaum

I'll concede that point haha. Will be interesting next month then how Turnbull attempts to quell the right, News Ltd. If he can't, I think we'll see (2009?) Turnbull Mk II

Wait for Turnbull to assume his final form at Election 2019 where he will devour David Flint and then shit out a Republic.

D.Lo

Haha, everything Nsw Labor posts to Facebook gets 100 comments saying 'now get rid of Shorten' or you won't win'

Seems there's a push for Bowen even, second only to Albo.

Bernbaum

feVBMm5.jpg

Bernbaum

Abbott's resignation speech reads like something a Grade 11 student whipped up the night before the assignment was due.

A lacklustre finish to a forgettable tenure.

JC Sera

I thought it was okay. His best speech in years.

I think he might be a sociopath though. A very strange man.
Given his behaviour towards his sister I wouldn't be surprised?
But if that was a fact then I feel sorry for his daughters
even with the uni scholarship

Bernbaum

I thought it was okay. His best speech in years.

I think he might be a sociopath though. A very strange man.

It managed to be both rambling yet robotic. At least when Sarah Palin goes full verbal diarrhea she has some emotion behind it.

It's also a bit rich of him to ask the press to play along by the rules when he's had the sympathy of the largest commercial news vendor in the country.

Dryk

Seems to be the sentiment across all the media today. Fair enough, but the country is better off for yesterday's events.
The media are still running with the old "All change is bad" from the Labor spills. Nobody has bothered to point out in all this time that if the prime minister is shaking in stunned silence it's probably best to wheel them out and get someone that can do the job.

I don't want the LNP anywhere near government, I'm also a little worried about how much worse a current LNP government that can actually do its job may end up being. This was still absolutely the best move they could have made at one of the best possible times and it baffles me that their base can't see that.

darkace

Banned
At least Turnbull doesn't look like a lizard person that learnt human emotions from watching reruns of Neighbours from the mid-90's, giving him at least one thing up on Abbott.

Dryk

It's also funny that Tony's blaming the media when it's become very clear this morning that the media is largely on his side

Dryk

I realised while talking to some people that Shorten's basically an opposition robot set to "Abbott" with flat batteries.

Bernbaum

The notion of a spill is now incredibly toxic. That may now give Turnbull the liberty to implement policies in line with his conscience without fear of recriminations from the Liberal Party's old guard.

danm999

So I can already sort of see Labor's plan of attack in Question Time; "you're a good speaker but what are you going to do differently Malcolm?"

Not sure Shorten's capable of pulling that off, but Malcolm also needs to get away from the shit Abbott policies.

DrSlek

So when he said we'd deployed to the other side of the world to bring our loved ones home.....what the hell is he talking about?

wonzo

Banned
Hmn, might have to adjust my polling expectations as he's already pulling that "talking down to those he disagrees with" schtick which pissed the public off when he was opposition leader.

hidys

Hmn, might have to adjust my polling expectations as he's already pulling that "talking down to those he disagrees with" schtick which pissed the public off when he was opposition leader.

Polls will almost certainly still swing in their favour.

danm999

This week will basically be a wash since everybody is shell shocked and playing defensively, while everybody else is jockeying for positions and picking up the pieces. They'll get a poll bump, possibly even surge ahead of Labor 2PP, simply because they're changing from a very unpopular leader to a popular one.

It'll matter more in a few weeks once he's picked his new Cabinet, and decided on strategy and policy and all that. Because if all he does is champion existing policies with a better speaking style that isn't going to go very far.

wonzo

Banned
Polls will almost certainly still swing in their favour.
Well yeah, maybe not as big as I'm expecting tho.

It'll matter more in a few weeks once he's picked his new Cabinet, and decided on strategy and policy and all that. Because if all he does is champion existing policies with a better speaking style that isn't going to go very far.
He seems to be doing exactly the latter.

danm999

He seems to be doing exactly the latter.

If he does he will be in for a tough time. He really can't re-litigate the 2014 budget and climate change inaction and the like. The ship has sailed on those.

It's why Abbott didn't want to touch industrial relations reforms or Shorten didn't want to touch boat people. Once the narrative has formed it's really fucking difficult to dislodge.

They'll need new policy, and it will need to satisfy the party, the Senate cross benchers and the public.

Canning will be interesting.

Yup, no clue how that's going to go down any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom