• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkace

Banned
Morgan had a 57:43 to ALP in August when everyone else was 53:47. They seem a bit... variable.

Morgan has a 1.5 point in-house Labor bias (so the 57-43 ALP was really a 55.5-45.5) but it also tends to seriously overstate mood swings in the electorate (at the introduction of the carbon tax essential was 55-45 LNP, while Morgan was 62-38). Morgan isn't a bad pollster, it's just that they are undoubtedly the worst to pick a single poll off of, you need their medium-term trend to tell a story that makes sense.

Fredescu

50-50 in Essential.

I thought this table was interesting:

f764GOi.png

41% of Greens votes think Mal would be better than Bill. Only 17% for Bill.

danm999

Strikes me as a disaster Labor voters are nearly tipping Turnbull equal to Shorten.

Then again that Essential Poll indicates that the Newspoll is probably right in saying it's pretty close on a 2PP. Maybe people have finally wised up to vote on the basis of the party, not the PM since the PM mightn't be there even for one term.

D.Lo

Yes if nothing else, the public has been taught in great detail that the PM is not a president, and you elect a party not a man (or woman, but we have yet to outright elect a party led by a woman).

It was just hilarious in 2010 how Labor ditched a guy who really did run like a president. Made it look really bad to the public.

danm999

You would think the Republican movement would jump on this ever changing leadership culture as their main talking point.

"Aren't you tired of not being able to pick/retain your leader?" etc

Could be a shot in the arm for a movement that really struggles to formulate tangible reasons for why the change should be made.

D.Lo

Eh, another level of elected government is NOT what this country needs. We have so much waste.

The model last time was correct, leave it as a figurehead, kind of like Speaker of the house.

I don't think it failed last time because of the model. That was just a scare campaign paid for by monarchists. And of course little Johnny's deliberate muddying of the waters by adding the poorly thought out preamble to the constitution question, making for a confusing 'No/Yes' campaign required.

But yes I guess the leadership stuff could be used to market another push? I'm someone who believes any post-enlightenment human should find the concept of a monarchy abhorrent, but I don't want some bad system added for no reason other than it is marketable either.

danm999

Oh it's not an argument that comes from a good place, but it's totally one that would resonate with Australians I think.

I think both Rudd and Abbott ran campaigns that heavily based their tactics on the US model of personal politics, and the electorate has an appetite for that now.

D.Lo

If we have a PM who can be an advocate for the change and educate the population along the process of what is ultimately a very simple, non-disruptive change (GG=HOS) I think it can pass very easily today.

And we may have that advocate PM now too.

EDIT: Fuck Johnny Howard. We go on about Abbott, but Howard was worse, because he was actually successful in his backward looking regressive bullshit and wasted ten years of what would have been a perfect environment for progress.

Abbott didn't sell Telstra, Avalon Airport, Melbourne Airport, Brisbane Airport, Perth Airport, Sydney Airport, the National Transmission Network, ADI...

Shaneus

So, this is actually pretty damned awesome I think. I guess. Maybe?

Apologies if you have trouble reading the paywalled article. I might be able to quote you a price on being able to read it somehow. Ahem.

Quasar

So, this is actually pretty damned awesome I think. I guess. Maybe?

Apologies if you have trouble reading the paywalled article. I might be able to quote you a price on being able to read it somehow. Ahem.

Maybe. I can't imagine Fifield being worse. Of course most copyright stuff seems driven by Robb agreeing to anything the US asks for re TPP.

Delimiter touches on this too.

https://delimiter.com.au/2015/09/22/turnbull-rips-copyright-portfolio-from-attorney-generals-dept/

wonzo

Banned
The Republic referendum lost last time because that rat fucker Howard chose the least popular option (parliament electing the figurehead instead of the people). Given both Party leaders are staunch Republicans I can't see that happening a second time.

e:
CPfApV3UkAA9wf9.jpg:large

Quasar

The Republic referendum lost last time because that rat fucker Howard chose the least popular option (parliament electing the figurehead instead of the people). Given both Party leaders are staunch Republicans I can't see that happening a second time.

I wonder how that will play out given in many eyes it seems the PM is the President.

Certainly I haven't really moved any from my belief that directly electing a president with the current GG powers isn't a great idea. I preferred the appointed option (I voted yes last time), though I can't really remember the fine print. Like was it a majority in both houses or what?

e:
CPfApV3UkAA9wf9.jpg:large

If this isn't parody/sarcasm someone needs to inform these people that water is halal.

D.Lo

I wonder how that will play out given in many eyes it seems the PM is the President.

Certainly I haven't really moved any from my belief that directly electing a president with the current GG powers isn't a great idea. I preferred the appointed option (I voted yes last time), though I can't really remember the fine print. Like was it a majority in both houses or what?
2/3 majority in the house.

I personally liked the model.

But every step of the way was carefully managed by Howard and the monarchists to make it fail.

Arksy

2/3 majority in the house.

I personally liked the model.

But every step of the way was carefully managed by Howard and the monarchists to make it fail.

How? Howard made it so constitutional conventions were elected in each state who got together to come up with the model that was eventually put to the people. You can't really get much more hands off than that.

r1chard

Watched Monday's Media Watch yesterday and thought the line it took was very interesting (that Bolt et al actually don't have the power to control things that they think they do, and even less so now since Turnbull is probably not going to give them much, if any time).

And then today this: Malcolm Turnbull's coup against Abbott sets off 'civil war' in News Corp Australia. Yes, it's the Guardian, so take with a tablespoon of salt.

But still.

Fun times!

Also, it really is stark sometimes how Bolt's entire world view seems to boil down to "us vs. them".

danm999

Watched Monday's Media Watch yesterday and thought the line it took was very interesting (that Bolt et al actually don't have the power to control things that they think they do, and even less so now since Turnbull is probably not going to give them much, if any time).

This is the subtext of Hadley's desperate and pathetic move to get Morrison to swear on a Bible.

He subsequently said from his unseen emails and calls his audience was split 50/50 on whether that was the right thing to do, which leads me to believe he in fact was copping heaps of shit for it from his own listeners if he didn't even have the heart to pretend support for him was in the majority.

Tommy DJ

People don't think its going to change, though The Australian might disappear since I don't believe its profitable and only really exists in this day and age because of Murdoch himself.

People rather just really hate the fucker in the same way they hate Thatcher.

Fredescu

Still saying what? That old people die?

That Rupert Murdoch is the singular influence that drives the editorial content of News Limited.

I'm in two minds about it. It's been said of Chris Mitchell that he has the job because he's good at anticipating what Murdoch wants. It's possible that The Australian is his personal loss making crusade and that under new ownership that would shutter it as unprofitable. The tabloids are still profitable despite dropping readership, so I doubt those would change on Rupert's death, but I guess probably die naturally along with the rest of print media.

Tommy DJ

...what's your point? That all media is biased?

You do know that, despite the party they might endorse during an election, editorial standards do exist.

Dead Man

That Rupert Murdoch is the singular influence that drives the editorial content of News Limited.

I'm in two minds about it. It's been said of Chris Mitchell that he has the job because he's good at anticipating what Murdoch wants. It's possible that The Australian is his personal loss making crusade and that under new ownership that would shutter it as unprofitable. The tabloids are still profitable despite dropping readership, so I doubt those would change on Rupert's death, but I guess probably die naturally along with the rest of print media.
I didn't get that from Berns post, I got more of a celebration of personal failure but I'm sure he can clarify if he wants to,
...and that its something to celebrate apparently? Why? What will change for the better out of it?

The editors pick the editorial content. If not, then how can you explain this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_federal_election,_2010#Newspaper_endorsements
Because he's a fuckwit and nobody like to see fuckwits succeed. Even if nothing changes, people enjoy schadenfreude. Again, I saw no expectation of real change, just enjoying someone's potential failure.

But read in whatever you want.

Fredescu

The editors pick the editorial content. If not, then how can you explain this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_federal_election,_2010#Newspaper_endorsements

Yes, so the selection of a particular editor is a big influence on the editorial content.

I didn't get that from Berns post, I got more of a celebration of personal failure but I'm sure he can clarify if he wants to,

Fair enough. That was my reading, but probably my mistake.

My point is that celebrating the death of Rupert Murdoch will be both pointless and tasteless.

Probably, but I do all sorts of pointless and tasteless things, so I'll be celebrating with the rest of them.

Yagharek

People are still saying this? If anyone thinks anything is going to change after one man dies, then I have some bad news for you...

This is true. News Corp is rotten to the core and it's quite adept at fulfilling the old toads wishes even when he checks in to Bernie's weekend getaway.

Yagharek

My point is that celebrating the death of Rupert Murdoch will be both pointless and tasteless.

Given Rupert's predilection for supporting illegal and ill planned military ventures and cheerleading the anti science global warming denialists it can be readily argued this man is vicariously responsible for hundreds if not hundreds of thousands of deaths at least in part.

It will be a good day when he's gone.

darkace

Banned
It's possible that The Australian is his personal loss making crusade and that under new ownership that would shutter it as unprofitable.

While I wouldn't expect the entire direction of News Ltd. to change overnight, this is definitely a possibility once the demented plutocrat eats it. There is apparently already a sizeable contingent of shareholders that seek to shut down The Australian because it bleeds money.

danm999

I dunno, I think Murdoch has way more influence than your garden variety media CEO.

Mentioned above he probably runs the Australian as a loss leader for his brand of political advocacy and has been weirdly hands on in a number of countries in attempting to shape outcomes in the political processes.

He definitely provides an insanely well oiled and connected operation for fledgling and established conservative candidates all over the world and is constantly looking to act as king-maker for the next big thing. Take his lunch with Scott Morrison recently, someone who the right wing of the party is clearly grooming for leadership after Abbott's demise.

Or if you've read the book Double Down, which was an insider's account of the 2012 election from the guys who did Game Change, he was basically responsible for instability in the field against Romney because he tried to get Chris Christie to run, and forced the Romney campaign to consider Christie as VP (something they dropped after vetting Christie and not liking what they saw).

When he goes, it'll definitely be a blow to the interconnectedness of this weird Tory/Coalition/Republican media machine and may not necessarily be something his successor chooses to replicate.

JC Sera

warning opinions;
As much as hes a pain, celebrating his death would be just as tasteless as celebrating thatchers. They both still have family that are dear to them, that don't really deserve to be spat in the face like that. Its ok to say "hey he was pretty horrible" but the laugh and dance "the wicked witch is dead" sorta thing is kinda disrespectful, not to him, but those who cared about him personally.

On the other hand, I feel like waiting for change via having the old guard die out has never been that effective.
Thatchers government helped cover up and enact child abuse in institutions.

Her death deserves to be celebrated along with the rest of them.
I'm not saying be not happy about it
though child abuse is pretty much the threshhold of thank fucking god that piece of shit is dead
I thought most of the celebrating was in relation to what she did to the economy and working class

Yagharek

Thatchers government helped cover up and enact child abuse in institutions.

Her death deserves to be celebrated along with the rest of them.

Fredescu

Eh, a plutocrat is a different class of person to even a Thatcher. Anyone emotionally attached to him is going to have a bin of money to dry their tears away. They don't need your sympathy even if you're offering it.

(I'm actually genuinely interested in arguments against this view though, if you have them)

JC Sera

Eh, a plutocrat is a different class of person to even a Thatcher. Anyone emotionally attached to him is going to have a bin of money to dry their tears away. They don't need your sympathy even if you're offering it.

(I'm actually genuinely interested in arguments against this view though, if you have them)
I don't really have an argument against it other than
"Don't be a dick" and "you're better than that"
also for the bins of money thing Zelda Williams comes to mind, and her harassment after her fathers death
However even the thought of comparing williams to those two is fucking sickening

Ventron

We should've learned from Notch that money doesn't dry your tears. You don't have to feel sorry for them if you don't want to, but money shouldn't be the reason, it doesn't replace human emotions.

Fredescu

"Don't be a dick" and "you're better than that"

Well, I'm not better than that, but still, maybe "celebration" is the wrong word to use. Reading dozens of articles chronicling his bad deeds and feeling a warm fuzzy feeling that he's now dead is probably as close as I'll get.

also for the bins of money thing Zelda Williams comes to mind, and her harassment after her fathers death

Not even remotely close to the level of money we're talking about. Rupert Murdoch could give 2400 people the same net worth as Robin Williams.

Fredescu

We should've learned from Notch that money doesn't dry your tears.

Notch feels alienated by his money. I'm not trying to say they're happier for having more money, just that they have the ability to shield themselves from the public reaction if they want to. Money allows you to more easily drop out of society for a while to deal with your grief. It's likely that many Thatcher (or Williams) relatives don't have that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom