• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

...and that its something to celebrate apparently? Why? What will change for the better out of it?

The editors pick the editorial content. If not, then how can you explain this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_federal_election,_2010#Newspaper_endorsements

I remember seeing a lecture where, yes, Roo doesn't decree from on high what he wants to see, but rather editors have become remarkably precient in anticipating the type of content he likes to see in his papers.

Fredescu

Regarding The Australian and the tabloids, Keane said this in his bit today:

The key difference between the Oz and Bolt, his tabloid far-right colleagues and the shock jocks is the difference between the crony capitalist and culture warrior segments of the right. There's significant crossover between the two, of course, and the Oz loves a good culture war, but it understands there are wider issues than a remorseless war unto the death with the left; in particular, the interests of business, which must be supported at all costs via a constant campaign for lower corporate tax, fewer rights for workers and unions and deregulation -- though mainly for favoured industries like the mining sector and the banks. The replacement of Abbott with Turnbull, from this point of view, augurs well for the agenda of business, since Abbott had simply ground to a halt on any economic reform of note.

From the point of view of culture warriors, however, the replacement of Abbott with Turnbull is a disaster: not merely has the battle been lost, but the fortress has been overrun and the enemy has installed its own ruler. From here, there is only resistance or collaboration -- thus the treatment of Morrison, at best a collaborator, but perhaps the one who let the drawbridge down to the invaders, and even Bronwyn Bishop, said to have backed Turnbull as payback for Tony Abbott not supporting her all the way to political suicide.

Ventron

Notch feels alienated by his money. I'm not trying to say they're happier for having more money, just that they have the ability to shield themselves from the public reaction if they want to. Money allows you to more easily drop out of society for a while to deal with your grief. It's likely that many Thatcher (or Williams) relatives don't have that option.

Alright, but that wasn't what I gathered when you said "they have a bin of money to dry their tears away".
From first-hand experience though I can tell you loneliness and isolation tends to make depression worse. The burden should not be on them to shield themselves from the bitterness. By all means people can attack the things they've done wrong, but to attack their personal grief I think is a low blow regardless of their wealth.

Fredescu

From first-hand experience though I can tell you loneliness and isolation tends to make depression worse.

No doubt. This is a family we're talking about though.

The burden should not be on them to shield themselves from the bitterness. By all means people can attack the things they've done wrong,

Right or wrong, it's going to have to be, and honestly they'd have to be pretty used to it by now. It's not like there isn't bucketloads of bitterness for him out there being expressed every day.

but to attack their personal grief

I don't think anyone's doing that. JC is suggesting restraint because attacks on him will affect his family. No one is justifying direct attacks on his family.

Quasar

Unsurprisingly Morrison has already signaled further government spending cuts with the old 'we don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem' and at the same time talking up plans for income tax cuts.

hidys

You're right.

We definitely need to spend more.

It's certainly what the slowing growth, rising unemployment and downward pressure on inflation suggests.

Not to mention that cutting interest rates have done fuck all. Cutting spending would be an awful idea.

D.Lo

He's not wrong. We do have a spending problem.
You only have a spending problem when you spend more than you earn,

Though personally I think government employee wages should be cut, not jobs. It's the far above market pay and conditions that wastes money.

That being said, there are some severe wasteful spending on things like fossil fuel mining subsidiaries and other handouts, mainly stuff left over from the Howard days, which he got away with because the mining boom and loads of privatization. The subsidiaries are especially no longer necessary now that mining is rapidly declining, and there's nothing government can do to stop the inevitable demise of coal (especially since both India and China are rapidly moving to domestic coal production alongside renewables with the intent of reducing coal imports as much as possible).

Again, Howard and Costello were probably the second-worst PM/treasurer team after Abbot and Hockey for reasons that are much clearer in hindsight.

D.Lo

Again, Howard and Costello were probably the second-worst PM/treasurer team after Abbot and Hockey for reasons that are much clearer in hindsight.
As I said previously, I think they were demonstrably worse.

The amount of massively profitable, natural monopoly assets they sold was utterly ridiculous. Sold at bargain prices (apart from Telstra which they screwed from both sides). Their main reform was a high administration cost regressive consumption tax they promised to never ever introduce (yes it went to an election but they lost the popular vote in that election so had no mandate) and then they gimped it to get it through the senate.

They neutralised One Nation by adopting all their policies, and a little fellow named Tony undermined them with some dirty deeds.

While they were clearly incompetent I think Abbott/Hockey (or anyone really) would have survived a while in a roaring economy. They could have say dropped taxes and done whatever other stupid crap they wanted and people would have given it all a pass. That's effectively what Howard did.

The Howard government was an extremely poor government. I'll give him props for Gun control and partly for East Timor, otherwise it was a wasted and backward 11 years.

Arksy

What do you base that on?

The fact that the states are completely broke while the federal government has all these redundant departments who do nothing, or worse. The Federal Department of Employment? Well..haven't they been doing a bang up job? The angrier underemployed side of me wants to say that they should all be fired and blacklisted for gross incompetence but I might be a bit bias. Federal Department of Transport? An entire federal department dedicated to airport runways. Are you kidding me? (Slight hyperbole, but only slight).

darkace

Banned

Infrastructure, for one. Of all kinds, improved public transport, proper NBN, general maintenance, etc.

But the big one is human capital, the Australian government needs to provide a plan for investing and nurturing the human capital in the country, as it's far and away the most important part of any successful countries story. I don't have any specifics for this area, but I'd commission a white paper on it were I in charge.

Edit: I'd like to add that I don't think that spending in general is good or bad, it's just something that the government must do in order to continue with the running of the economy.

I'm sure now, with my one University level course in Microeconomics, there is a pretty good chance I could be the next Coalition Treasurer. Holy crap Morrison is a moron, talk about a man completely out of his depth in a kiddie pool.

Loved the bit where he kept saying "Some people say..." to justify his ill-informed rants and when Sales pulled him back in saying actually no one is saying that, yep he went on another "Some people say..." rant. Bring back Joe.

Arksy

Infrastructure, for one. Of all kinds, improved public transport, proper NBN, general maintenance, etc.

But the big one is human capital, the Australian government needs to provide a plan for investing and nurturing the human capital in the country, as it's far and away the most important part of any successful countries story. I don't have any specifics for this area, but I'd commission a white paper on it were I in charge.

I get infrastructure, but I'm not sure what you mean by human capital...the Australian government provides interest free loans to study at University, and now government assistance has been expanded into trades and other professions...we are investing in human capital. Big time. I'm not sure what more you could want the government to do in that regard.

D.Lo

What do you base that on?
The government just said it so it must be true.

Here are the biggest government expenditure items, in order (source: Treasury forward estimates - minus 'stage government help' which is #1):

Pension, Medicare, Family Tax benefit (middle class welfare), Disability Support pension, public hospitals, job seeker welfare payments, Aged care, payments to private schools (WTF), PBS.

I'm definitely open to heavy means testing, including house, for all types of welfare. Abolish all Howard's cash splash middle class welfare.

The fact that the states are completely broke while the federal government has all these redundant departments who do nothing, or worse. The Federal Department of Employment? Well..haven't they been doing a bang up job? The angrier underemployed side of me wants to say that they should all be fired and blacklisted for gross incompetence but I might be a bit bias. Federal Department of Transport? An entire federal department dedicated to airport runways. Are you kidding me? (Slight hyperbole, but only slight).
That's true, but what we really need to do is re-federte and abolish the states.

Or at least go fully national with lots of things - hospitals, schools etc should be no-brainers.

Arksy

Doesn't payments to private schools include universities? If not, WTF indeed....

Also, agree 100% with heavy means testing and abolishing middle class welfare.

darkace

Banned
I get infrastructure, but I'm not sure what you mean by human capital...the Australian government provides interest free loans to study at University, and now government assistance has been expanded into trades and other professions...we are investing in human capital. Big time. I'm not sure what more you could want the government to do in that regard.

I'd like the government to assist in re-skilling workers left unemployed by the changing workforce of the world. I'd like the government to guide workers towards the jobs of the future, whilst simultaneously actually investing in the industries that have the potential for future growth.

We're cutting our investments in human capital, they're at the lowest levels since Menzies, whilst our government investment in universities is the lowest out of every single OECD nation. Human capital is something with almost unlimited potential, and something that the private sector will never have the ability to properly nurture. For our government to under-invest in this is to forever commit our nation to almost-was.

Fredescu

"Spending is too high" is a completely different statement too "there is some spending that appears wasteful".

Revenue is 23% of GDP and spending is 26%. In times gone by it has been 25/25. To say revenue isn't a problem as Morrison did is just flat wrong.

You can make the argument that we should just cut spending to match revenue, but we're in the process of adjustment to heavily dropping infrastructure investment and facing the likelihood of a recession. Cutting 3% of GDP would be pure insanity and lead to an extended recession. The time to be cutting spending is not now.

D.Lo

Still, the #1 most costly item (debatable if it is spending or lost revenue) is superannuation tax concessions, which overwhelmingly benefit the rich. The lowest bracket of workers pay MORE tax on their super than their non-super income, which is insane, and the rich have massive discounts and loopholes.

"Spending is too high" is a completely different statement too "there is some spending that appears wasteful".

Revenue is 23% of GDP and spending is 26%. In times gone by it has been 25/25. To say revenue isn't a problem as Morrison did is just flat wrong.
Exactly, he';s opened with a very stupid, clearly 100% false statement. Maybe he isn't the golden child after all.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
This is like saying that you think someone eats too much because you have a different taste in food to them.

Arksy

I don't think I buy the Keynesian premise that a drop in government spending will lead to a recession. I think that kind of assumes that government is the only vassal capable of expenditure, and I think that's a bit silly.

This is like saying that you think someone eats too much because you have a different taste in food to them.

Sigh, I'm working of the (stupid) assumption that a government would (should) only tax as much as they spend, so getting rid of wasteful spending should reduce taxes overall.

Yes, yes, I'll go sit in a corner now.

darkace

Banned
It's not the only vassal capable of expenditure, but it is the one with the greatest ability to create and target spending by a mile.

Not to mention that Keynesianism says nothing about a drop in government spending causing a recession, but that government spending should prop up the private sector when it experiences certain signs. Signs that happen to be plastered all over the private sector at the moment.

Jintor

we're doing everything in a power to tell these people, who are seeking asylum from something, to go back to where they came from, because it will totally be safe and stuff

i mean it'll be better than the shithole we call offshore detention right? so really we're just thinking of them

Fredescu

I don't think I buy the Keynesian premise that a drop in government spending will lead to a recession. I think that kind of assumes that government is the only vassal capable of expenditure, and I think that's a bit silly.

Not in all cases, but right now, yes. Keynes would suggest cutting spending in times of high growth. Government spending is the only reason last quarter was in positive growth. We had a once off spend on some military hardware (can't recall what) that cost 0.4% of GDP and we had 0.2% growth. If not for that, there would be a lot of recession talk about now.

Sigh, I'm working of the (stupid) assumption that a government would (should) only tax as much as they spend, so getting rid of wasteful spending should reduce taxes overall.

That's the goal, but you have to be careful in the execution. "Getting rid of wasteful spending" always means sacking a lot of people. Those people will have to go on unemployment benefits anyway, so you don't want to sack a bunch of people and push them out into a contracting economy to find work.

hidys

CPlOaWsUsAAKBYo.jpg

I don't know how long that has been on the public record but I am amazed that it didn't hurt him in his pre-selection.

hirokazu

Statements like that then expressing concern for what is happening on Manus makes my head spin.

As for, the Greens senator, how about halving your vote? Linking penalty rates to some sort of 'white Anglo Saxon' privilege is a extraordinarily leap.
Pauline Hansen was right about Asians taking our jobs! D:

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
It's not about only, it's about capability and purpose. A government has greater spending capacity and is less limited in the occasions and reasons it can spend than a profit oriented private sector agent. If you think that in the absence of government spending that the private sector will always pick up the slack then you'd have to believe in one of three things:
- That the private sector is actually lazy and slothful and foregoes low-risk production and consumption unless it's absolutely needed to stop a recession (where risk apparently no longer matters).
- Ricardian equivalence (that people are always thinking long-term and will save to pay for future tax increases to reduce deficits).
- That government spending always causes crowding out, either real or financial. Real crowding out is characterised by inflation, which is modest in Australia (and barely there in much of the developed world) and financial crowding out is a myth because central banks like the RBA control the interest rate.

That's fine as a preference, even if I disagree with it, was more referring to the difference between criticising the levels of spending and taxation and criticising their distribution, composition etc... An extreme pacifist may have criticised the use of deficits and federal income taxes to fight the Nazis, but that's not a view about macro-economics or the efficiency of resource allocation.

Dryk

Investing in training is pointless without also nurturing industries for those people to work in. We're paying to train other countries workers otherwise and that doesn't really help us.

danm999

Suddenly Bjorn Lomberg's meal ticket from Abbott makes more sense; he would have been trotted out as an "expert" at those investigations.

Fredescu

IPA driven Oz published anti-BoM conspiracy theories were pretty popular for a few months. I'm not at all surprised at this, and I don't mean that in a cynical way, I mean I assumed this is what would have been happening at the time.

We probably don't talk about domestic violence enough in this thread.

CPnxUvxUwAAnFAw.jpg

Package details: http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...ull-to-commit-41m-to-tackle-domestic-violence

Opinions about this? What would something like this look like? Is this a cop out to not fund womens shelters?

Reading about the DV package it sounds like the bulk of the money will be "to train front-line employees, including police, social and community workers and medical staff." But the real issue has to be, a couple is living in their home on the assumption of shared financial resources. So if the suggestion above is that the woman and kids stay home and the man gets kicked out, why does the $41m not include any financial assistance to compensate for the presumed loss of income?

JC Sera

Hahhahah yeah DV is so fucked up right now
DV & and asylum seeker abuse are currently make me most ashamed of this country

btw can I have the source on the abbot BoM thing, I wanna share it

bomma_man

In Tassie magistrates have the power to amend leases "for the benefit" of victims of family violence, which sounds nice, but most wouldn't be able to pay the rent on their own, and as far as I know there's no complimentary rent assistance program.

Fredescu

Not sure about that. The issue is male violence against women and children. I think saying "it happens to men too" just obscures the real problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom