• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her main thesis, that poverty creates the conditions under which a host of social ills, including domestic violence and crime in general will proliferate, is actually something that has evidence to back it up. It's just that she then peppers it with absurdly retrograde notions regarding gender roles that are so removed from the lived experience of the past fifty years that they're almost non-sequitors.

I feel as though she had a brief moment of clarity, an epiphany about the state of the world in which she was on the brink of rethinking her entire world view, but then the dark clouds of rote-learnt dogma rolled in and she awkwardly shoehorned these into her article, lest she displease the implacable gods of ultraconservatism.

Fredescu

that poverty creates the conditions under which a host of social ills, including domestic violence

That point is arguable. There are a lot more barriers to reporting domestic violence in well off families. Enough that it makes interpreting the statistics difficult. There are enough cases of domestic violence existing at all among the well off to tell us that making people richer won't make domestic violence go away.

D.Lo

That point is arguable. There are a lot more barriers to reporting domestic violence in well off families. Enough that it makes interpreting the statistics difficult. There are enough cases of domestic violence existing at all among the well off to tell us that making people richer won't make domestic violence go away.
Show me the receipts.

I've worked in community services for ten years, particularly with teens and at times with domestic violence victim women, and in my experience the vast majority of social ills have an economic cause at their root. Poverty spirals families downward. There is the odd kid from a rich family that gets into drugs, and the odd true sociopath husband, but they're 1 in 100.

I usually loathe Miranda Divine and she put a few things badly there but I completely agree with the premise.

JC Sera

In rich DV you can also get the case of financial abuse and isolation
"tell anyone and I will cut you off and leave you homeless, while I have a handful of lawyers" ect

there is a power thing that makes it easier to silence the victim if they have no independent income

lack of education definitely inflames DV, which is connected to poverty
but I would also say upperclass cases are more effectively silenced

Edit: D.Lo, on the sociopathic husband thing
a whole thing that makes DV so insidious is the abuser often isn't a sociopath, and a normal person in every other aspect of hteir life
disrespect for woman is not uncommon amongst the rich, especially old money and all that
look at the fucking melbourne club for instance

Dead Man

Dear lord, Bolt has gone off the deep end:

3d706dda62e538f5cfa8e08a67c39e63

There are many layers to Tony Abbott.

Loss of Tony Abbott as prime minister is a time of sorrow

NOW Tony Abbott is gone I can finally tell the truth about him. Folks, you made a big mistake with this bloke.

No, no. The mistake wasn’t that you voted for him.

In fact, you got one of the finest human beings to be Prime Minister.

In many ways he seemed too moral for the job, yet he achieved more in two years than the last two Labor prime ministers achieved in six.
Yes, I know Abbott made mistakes, and I was hard on the worst. I know he was too stubborn. And I know he was clumsy in selling himself.

I admit I even quarrelled with him privately when he too-nobly refused to whack Labor leader Bill Shorten over some detail of national security.

No, the country before politics, he declared. I could have shaken the silly bugger, who played politics like it was cricket when everyone else was cage fighting.

God, he wouldn’t even do the populist thing and just promise to build our next submarines in Adelaide, and to hell with the cost or national interest.

But that was Abbott, and for me character always counts in the end.

That’s why I say: this country has despised and rejected a great servant. It is a time of sorrow.

r1chard

In many ways he seemed too moral for the job, yet he achieved more in two years than the last two Labor prime ministers achieved in six.
This is the claim I hear those far-right-wing commentators repeating, but I just cannot understand it. In all measures except boats being stopped (and even then it went from some very small number after Rudd's "no IMAs resettled in Australia" to zero), he achieved measurably less than his predecessors: bills passed in parliament, health of the economy, election promises kept.. What measure are these people using to claim "achieved more in two years"? Genuinely curious so responses of "they're just one-eyed" won't help ;-)

Or is this just a case of repeating it enough for it to be accepted as truth?

Edit: I forgot knighthoods awarded. Of course he achieved giving out more of those.

Fredescu

in my experience the vast majority of social ills have an economic cause at their root

I agree that lifting people out of poverty solves a lot of social ills, but are no doubt a lot of instances of domestic violence that occur in well off families. Approaching domestic violence as purely an economic problem ignores these cases. There has to be another approach.

Dryk

This is the claim I hear those far-right-wing commentators repeating, but I just cannot understand it. In all measures except boats being stopped (and even then it went from some very small number after Rudd's "no IMAs resettled in Australia" to zero), he achieved measurably less than his predecessors: bills passed in parliament, health of the economy, election promises kept.. What measure are these people using to claim "achieved more in two years"? Genuinely curious so responses of "they're just one-eyed" won't help ;-)
Maybe they count bills passed by Labor as a negative contribution because they don't agree with them?

Ignoring the substance of the image, I'm quite transfixed by the morphed 2 PMs there

Malcolm Turnbull Is A Ghost

Turnbull, however, is untethered from a Tory pantheon or spiritual purpose, as Abbott imagined himself to have. He’s just a fleshy vessel for the whims of the global market, aided and abetted by the same corporate progressive instincts that inspire banking conglomerates to support Sydney Mardi Gras. Remember the GayTM? Turnbull is a GayTM.

The rightwing loons that are currently losing their minds over Turnbull as emblematic of new wilderness years for conservatives are right on one thing: of course he is where he is because of the naked pursuit of power. That’s how these things work. But more than anything, Malcolm Turnbull is a ghost, who has haunted every aspect of our politics with the promise of a slightly politer life for over ten years. Let’s see where that goes.

danm999

Dat News Corp civil war.

Too loyal? Well, true, yet when I once asked why he wouldn’t buy off his critics by sacking Joe Hockey as Treasurer, Abbott told me he knew Hockey actually had the talent to be great, and would be if given another chance.

ANDREW HE DID SACK HOCKEY TO SAVE HIS SKIN. IT JUST DIDN'T WORK.

D.Lo

Does Divine have an actual following?

I remember when fairfax bought her for a few years, apparently she brought no readers, just infuriated regular readers.

Bolt has old people I guess?

Ignoring the substance of the image, I'm quite transfixed by the morphed 2 PMs there

Malcolm Turnbull Is A Ghost

Generally speaking I'm pretty strongly in favor of organized labor (there's a pretty decent link between median living conditions and degree of unionization) but I'm not sure Uber is the best thing to call Turnbull out for. Taxis in Australia are terrible, for all that their licensing and medallions are supposed to be for public safety, at the very least a large minority of taxi drivers I've hired have driven like lunatics (speeding, accelerating into red lights and braking hard when they don't change, making dubious high speed lane changes and operating electronic devices while the vehicle is in motion and taking their eyes off the road to do so). Not that Uber is without flaws

ETA - Am I the only one who all the JavaScript stuff on Neogaf has stopped working for (using Chrome) ? I can't use the drop down menu next to my user name (clicking goes to my profile) and all the Bold/Italic/etc options in the edit/post window are non-responsive.

Danoss

I agree that lifting people out of poverty solves a lot of social ills, but are no doubt a lot of instances of domestic violence that occur in well off families. Approaching domestic violence as purely an economic problem ignores these cases. There has to be another approach.

Indeed. Statistics aren't very helpful if they're relying on reported instances of domestic violence. The higher up the economic ladder you go, the less likely reports are to be made as they prefer others to see how everything is just fine. This isn't exclusive either, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Arksy

Does Divine have an actual following?

I remember when fairfax bought her for a few years, apparently she brought no readers, just infuriated regular readers.

Bolt has old people I guess?

Bolt has a wide readership, I'm guessing a good number of those are left-wingers and people who are ideologically opposed to him who read him for the sole purpose to get annoyed or offended.

The dude is a professional troll.

Indeed. Statistics aren't very helpful if they're relying on reported instances of domestic violence. The higher up the economic ladder you go, the less likely reports are to be made as they prefer others to see how everything is just fine. This isn't exclusive either, but it's worth keeping in mind.

it's not just that. Its connections too. Not that that's exclusive to the wealthy. If the only cop in a small town is a drinking buddy / old friend of your abuser you're SOL too.

Gazunta

The dude is a professional troll.
Thiiiiiiiiis. It amazes / disappoints me on an almost daily basis how many of my normally level-headed, reasonable friends (on all sides of the political spectrum) fall for the trap of getting riled up at the opinions of people who are PAID TO GET PEOPLE RILED UP.

Agh. Just infuriating. Just ignore them and they go away. These people contribute nothing to society why should anyone care what they think?

Thiiiiiiiiis. It amazes / disappoints me on an almost daily basis how many of my normally level-headed, reasonable friends (on all sides of the political spectrum) fall for the trap of getting riled up at the opinions of people who are PAID TO GET PEOPLE RILED UP.

Agh. Just infuriating. Just ignore them and they go away. These people contribute nothing to society why should anyone care what they think?

In fairness Bolt was pretty much directly responsible for a piece of legislation the Coalition tried to pass (Changing 18C of the RDA).

Fredescu

You should care what they think because they have the backing of billionaires and the ears of politicians. They're infuriating not just because of the bullshit they speak, but because of the reach that bullshit has. Discussing the flaws in what they say is as important as making fun of them to let off steam.

Arksy

Well in this case I understand where he's coming from, Abbott was very well liked and respected by pretty much all levels of the party. Yeah, he was pretty clumsy with words as Bolt admits but I understand why they're upset.

They think that the left have won in deposing an ideological conservative and planted a candidate that has the approval of the leftist media. It's clearly bullshit, because while Turnbull is a liberal rather than a conservative if the conservatives actually fucking got over themselves for a second they'd realise that the best hope for conservatism over the next decade lies with the man that's currently PM. If he can't do it I don't think there's anyone in our party currently who can. Not only is Turnbull articulate and principled he is also charismatic.

Arksy

I almost choked. He happily sold out his principles to allow him to be leader. Not that thats unexpected for a politician.

No leader of a modern political party can be that dogmatic and survive..it's claimed many political scalps over the recent years. I'll be shocked (read: livid) if we got any more of that ridiculous authoritarian nonsense from here on in.

Not exactly something to go on the resume of an aspiring PM.

"Yeah, he fainted at the sight of blood, but he was a good bloke and all the other surgeons loved him."

Agreed, I think his inability to properly articulate policy positions was his biggest downfall. John Howard was generally very good at this, he'd always start speeches telling us why he was doing something and what ill his policy was meant to address.

Danoss

it's not just that. Its connections too. Not that that's exclusive to the wealthy. If the only cop in a small town is a drinking buddy / old friend of your abuser you're SOL too.

Totally. There are plenty of reasons why a person might not report it. The worst I can think of are the problems that comprise Battered Person Syndrome, where the victim believes it's their fault to begin with and the (likely) associated depression leaves them feeling powerless to do anything about it even if they could place the blame where it belongs.

The victim in the above situation could be surrounded by people urging them to report it, with a solid network of people willing to support and help them in every way possible. Nothing may be done even then because, for any number of reasons, it's not always that easy.

These things require a great deal of thought and empathy. It's much easier for people like Miranda to point the finger at what they believe to be the problem and call it a day. There's just a hint of irony to this, considering the topic of her opinion piece.

I don't think anyone is saying that poverty is the cause of DV, any more than it's the cause of (say) alcoholism. I do believe however, that poverty exacerbates problems that are there already and allows them to run riot. This was the thin, wavering thread of truth in that otherwise deplorable and wrong-headed article.

Generally speaking I'm pretty strongly in favor of organized labor (there's a pretty decent link between median living conditions and degree of unionization) but I'm not sure Uber is the best thing to call Turnbull out for.

I didn't really read it as calling him out over it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Danoss

I do believe however, that poverty exacerbates problems that are there already and allows them to run riot.

This, I agree with. There's obviously a lot more to it, but as things currently stand in this country, it is a fair thing to say.

I don't think anyone is saying that poverty is the cause of DV, any more than it's the cause of (say) alcoholism.

This, I don't. No one in this thread is advocating for it, sure, but the spark for this particular topic contained this gem:

It’s clear. Welfare traps create the conditions for domestic violence.

Unless I'm misreading this, she said it. It's complete rubbish.

Abusers are taking out their frustrations in an unacceptable manner. While there are numerous possible sources of frustration, I will admit that poverty can be a constant source of frustration. Even so, I highly doubt that if you take someone who isn't prone to bouts of misdirected anger or rage and put them into those conditions that they are likely to change into someone who is, just as much as I doubt that the reverse would be true.

I'll mention one thing from personal experience that I feel is applicable here. It may seem off-track, but please stick with me. As you likely know, I have ADHD and was diagnosed when I was age four. One aspect of this disorder is a low frustration tolerance. Another is an inability to regulate emotion. Just these two aspects (ignoring numerous others) combined can give rise to more frequent bouts of anger and rage, often misdirected. Poor financial management skills, future planning skills and others all combine to cause problems in life and can easily create an environment where domestic violence or some kind of abuse could occur, depending on the severity.

ADHD is hereditary and if the gene is present in one parent, the chance one of their children inherits it is around 50%. Even without the genes present, consumption of cigarettes, alcohol, and some drugs can increase the chances of inflicting this disorder on the children. With smoking, drinking and taking drugs being more prevalent in lower income areas, these can give rise to a higher percentage of ADHD sufferers than the average of around 4%. Couple this with the high cost of health care, especially mental health like this, and you've got a larger number of sufferers of a very disruptive disorder that is easy treatable with the correct medication (if not preventable in the non-genetic cases).

I know 4% of the population isn't large, but it isn't exactly small either. I also know that ADHD sufferers aren't exclusive offenders of domestic violence or abuse, but they do make up a statistically relevant portion of the prison population. Untreated ADHD, especially in the wrong environment, can bring about conduct disorder which can also result in sociopathy.

My point is that even using this small example, the problem isn't poverty itself, but the cost of healthcare which is beyond the means of those that could benefit most. This is but one that I know, understand and have personally experienced to one step shy of it being as bad as it gets. It makes me wonder, how many other little things are there that make up the larger picture? I wasn't, nor am I an abuser, but I could have just as easily ended up that way.

Miranda almost got onto a worthwhile commentary and then she lost it. Again, thought and empathy being required. The aim of the thing she was railing against is to reduce violence against women and children, isn't it?

I know this isn't the thread for sharing, but I did a little bit above, so feel free to skip ahead if you like (you've done well if you're read this far). My mother was not financially strained at all, but having an ADHD child was a constant source of frustration for her. Even though I was diagnosed early, the knowledge and medication just wasn't there then like it is now (and it's still quite lacking). Guess who the frustration was taken out on. As far back as my memories go, there was physical, verbal, and emotional abuse. By both her and one of her long term partners, which continued until a year or two into high school.

Awareness of the issue makes a huge difference, no matter how many people say it's a waste of time. I'm sure it won't be hard for anyone to guess how many people (read: adults/teachers) asked me why I was wearing a tracksuit for a couple of weeks in the middle of summer in forth grade. None. No one asked. Of course, I wouldn't have told them because my mum asked me not to, after she covered me in welts and bruises and I had to take the next day off school because I could barely move without pain. Maybe they knew, I don't know. I would like to know where Castle Hill and a beachside suburb on the Central Coast fall in Miranda's statistics, because I didn't live in a welfare trap and the conditions were perfect.

Sorry if my over-sharing here was a bit much. Please don't read it as me being upset or annoyed at any comments here, I'm not at all. AusGAF would normally be where I'd post this, but the political talk that sparked it was here. Anyway, to steer the topic a little back on track, here's a pic of Malcolm talking about his latest fishing trip (or telling a dick joke):

7I431pd.jpg

danm999

A combo of legacy building and I reckon he thinks he can do a KRudd and rise from the dead. The fact he's even gone on Hadley's show tells you he's thinking he can rise again.

He's already saying to Hadley they moved on him ahead of Canning because it would have demonstrated he could win the next election, and that even though he's never been popular personally, 2013 proved that didn't matter. Something something about David Cameron and the polls (a largely worthless pointless talking point to compare to a system that's not FPTP and where voting is voluntary).

Of course, he doesn't realize he's not Rudd, the public isn't confused about why he's gone, and that if he somehow got the votes next party room meeting and got himself re-elected as PM, the next election would make 2013 look like a tight race.

D.Lo

Basically, he's continuing to show that he's a loon who is oblivious to reality.

Good old 'people skills' Abbott.

He honestly believed people would like Knighting Prince Philip. He honestly believed his daughter got that scholarship based on merit. He honestly believed it was 'the vague rules' that were the problem with Bronny'a chopper ride.

He should always have been a laughing stock. If it wasn't for Gillard and Shorten and co wrecking the Labor brand for half a decade (so far) with their stupid coup, he would never have gotten anywhere near the prime ministership.

danm999

He should always have been a laughing stock. If it wasn't for Gillard and Shorten and co wrecking the Labor brand for half a decade (so far) with their stupid coup, he would never have gotten anywhere near the prime ministership.

I was thinking today if was there ever an era when he would have done better (not well, but better) as PM. It would have to be pre-Whitlam I guess.

His views would have been more mainstream, the "febrile" media was smaller, published less frequently and more controllable. Social media didn't exist. Etc.

Yrael

I'm struggling to reconcile these things.

Ditto. I am appalled by the depths of our failure to treat asylum seekers with basic humanity. Thinking about the brutal treatment (including rampant sexual abuse and violence) of refugees on Nauru in particular makes me sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom