• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I'm just glad the government of the day generally doesn't seem to interfere too much with the High Court's composition; or, perhaps, that any justices appointed to the High Court seem to take their law to stand above their politics.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Joe Hockey's face is mighty punchable.

Pity LNP voters don't really care about economics, they just hate Labor because LABOR MISTAKES AND BOAT PEOPLE AND LETS GIVE LNP A CHANCE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Spring clean yourself free of Labor and Greens.

We have at most an implied freedom of political communication power that has been read into the Constitution by the courts. Even that is not as powerful as you'd think - see Monis v The Queen and AG(SA) v Corporation of Adelaide for two rulings from this year alone that have set the limits on it. (Narrowly, in the case of Monis, if i recall correctly). Notably, it's a negative power, not a positive one; it just means that parliament can't legislate to take it away unless it's necessary on balance with other considerations.

Yep. We generally lack positive powers since we don't have much in enumerated rights. I feel this is probably a bad thing on balance. In many areas of expression, we have some of the most restrictive laws in the Western world (but we also have erratic and generally low enforcement so the net outcome doesn't really stand out). We live in a weird country.

Jintor

HAHAHA WHAT

A Liberal National government in Australia would adopt the opt-out UK approach to filtering the internet for all Australians.

The policy comes less than 41 hours before polls open for voting in federal election where the Coalition is currently expected to win. It is also almost a year after the Labor government abandoned its plans for mandatory internet filtering, and three years after the Coalition announced it would not support a policy for mandatory internet filtering.

The announcement, buried in a AU$10 million online safety policy published online today (PDF) announces that under a Tony Abbott government, Australians would have "adult content" filters installed on their phone services and fixed internet services unless they opt out.

Hahahahaha wow. That last minute rush. Jesus christ. Amazingly disingenuous. Not that you'd be voting Coalition on tech issues prior, but still.

Joe Hockey's face is mighty punchable.

Spring clean yourself free of Labor and Greens.

I'd actually like to see how often Labor and Greens vote together and opposite the LNP , vs how often Labor and the Coalition vote together opposite the Greens. I doubt there's anything interesting to learn from Coalition and Greens vs Labor but it'd be an interesting wishlist addition.

bomma_man

I'm just glad the government of the day generally doesn't seem to interfere too much with the High Court's composition; or, perhaps, that any justices appointed to the High Court seem to take their law to stand above their politics.

I get the impression that Heydon was the Scalia of Australia though.

wonzo

Banned
Another day, another BludgerTrack update:

2013-09-04-bludgertra8mukg.png

HAHAHA WHAT

Hahahahaha wow. That last minute rush. Jesus christ. Amazingly disingenuous. Not that you'd be voting Coalition on tech issues prior, but still.
Holy shit, fucking cunts.

Jintor

SMH and the Age went Liberal? Wtf

I mean not only is the policy eleventh hour but it's buried far far away and afaik zdnet is breaking that story!

Doesn't it seem obvious that the coalition revealing all their costings last minute was a strategic decision to secure the votes of those who opted for early voting? Surely there will be some early voters regretting their choices after the costings reveal.

magenta

SMH and the Age went Liberal? Wtf

I mean not only is the policy eleventh hour but it's buried far far away and afaik zdnet is breaking that story!

People who still buy papers are older and probably conservative (my assumption). IMO a lot of stories are chosen and written to appeal to those who still pay attention to the papers, they want Labor out so that is the narrative. They are still a business after all.

I thought I was the only person voting for Tony, here. lol
Oh, you live in his electorate then?

Labor had their chance, now Liberal can either have a go at fixing the mistakes made in the last 6 years or make some of their own.

Just like Lionel Richie i will be dancing on the ceiling if this happens :)

I went to bed not long after my post, the only way they are accountable to their actions is to send them packing in the election.

I am more unhappy about the state of the budget than anything else.

Awesome, good work popping into the thread over and over and not answering anyone's questions. You clearly know what you are talking about.

QLD shouldnt be allowed to vote. Too much sun frys the brain. VIC votes smart and they hardly get any!

That's not what our number plates say ;.;

I guess he felt his conservative credentials were too low and needed buffing with Family First and Katter ?

Ahem, Katter is preferencing labor. Have you even looked at his policies?

wonzo

Banned
Rinehart says prisoners should be able to pay their way out of jail

Australia's richest person, Gina Rinehart, says non-violent prisoners should be allowed to pay their way out of jail.

Ms Rinehart, who owns 15 per cent of Fairfax Media, said Australia should follow the lead of US state Texas and look for ways to reduce the number of people imprisoned at taxpayers' expense.

"Let them pay to get out of prison or not enter prison (a new source of revenue), and let them be part of the tax-paying workforce," she said in an opinion article published in the latest edition of Australian Resources and Investment magazine.

She said Australia would benefit because it needs "more workers and taxpayers", especially in the face of increasing health costs due to an ageing population.
Won't someone think of the white collar criminals ;_;

Yagharek

Won't someone think of the white collar criminals ;_;

That's easy. Just make stupidity a federal crime, lock Rinehart up for 1 billion years and let her pay her way out at 1c per day.

Mining tax sorted.

Coalition plans mandatory internet filtering of adult content

LOL. They snuck that one in late in the campaign. Hands up who wants UK-style internet filtering?

So tempted to remind some other deadshit liberal voters who were smarmy cunts back in 2008/9/10 that "I told you so" but I no longer talk to them so they can GAGF.

Oh, you live in his electorate then?

Awesome, good work popping into the thread over and over and not answering anyone's questions. You clearly know what you are talking about.

That's not what our number plates say ;.;

Ahem, Katter is preferencing labor. Have you even looked at his policies?

Yeah I have. He's definitely socially conservative. Its possible he's taken a strong anticensorship stance though (and I missed it) there's pro and anti censorship views on both left and right. I also think his labor preference is pragmatic rather than ideological (ie he's more likely to pick up one of the 4 traditionally right seats (at least in QLD) of conservative preferences than a left one).

Ventron

Coalition plans mandatory internet filtering of adult content

LOL. They snuck that one in late in the campaign. Hands up who wants UK-style internet filtering?

Fuck-a this. Well they've lost my senate vote at the very least (my electorate doesn't have good choices for the lower house). They have something like this on T-Mobile and I had to opt out because it kept flagging false positives. It's not as bad as the completely mandatory filter from before but come on, when the list of banned sites included a dentist's...

markot

Banned
Fuck-a this. Well they've lost my senate vote at the very least (my electorate doesn't have good choices for the lower house). They have something like this on T-Mobile and I had to opt out because it kept flagging false positives. It's not as bad as the completely mandatory filter from before but come on, when the list of banned sites included a dentist's...

Didnt you watch Seinfeld?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom