• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newspoll 51/49 to Labor.

Somewhat meaningless as an individual result but if you were the sort of person to stump your leadership based on the other bloke being behind in Newspoll for more that 30 polls and you personally would turn it around, you might be the sort of person who would be feeling a little nervous right now.

Also

State Income Taxes: 19/58 for and against.

Turnbull: 38/48 (-10)
Shorten: 32/53 (-21)

Oh, wow. The government is gonna be sweating up to the budget. And if that doesn't take with the electorate, they'll be sweating to the election.

Joe Bullock is apparently in no rush to sign his senate resignation forms delaying Dodson's appointment. Maybe trying to get to a certain date to guarantee some extra pension?

Shaneus

Joe Bullock is apparently in no rush to sign his senate resignation forms delaying Dodson's appointment. Maybe trying to get to a certain date to guarantee some extra pension?
Doesn't seem like the type to do such a thing! Such an upstanding fellow
/s

Yagharek

Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has announced an incoming Labor government would hold a royal commission into misconduct in the banking and financial services industry.

Mr Shorten said shadow cabinet has endorsed the move, and the decision has not been "made lightly".

Labor has called on the Turnbull Government to make the same commitment.

"Many Australians have suffered through the decisions of banks and financial institutions," Mr Shorten said.

"Retirees who have lost their retirement savings, small businesses who have lost their livelihood, Australian families who have lost hundreds of thousands of dollars, life insurance beneficiaries, denied justice and legitimate claims.

"There are literally tens of thousands of victims, if not more.

"Today I say enough is enough. This string of scandals has to stop."

Federal ICAC will hopefully follow.

Interesting summation of the Unions RC results so far.

The Dreadful Lawlessness:

1. A guy from the CFMEU in the ACT who probably did ask for a bribe on a couple of occasions, probably in trouble.
  2. A guy from the above company, not union affiliated, offing the bribe who denied said bribes perjuring himself as he had written a summation of them.
  3. A CFMEU organiser from Brisbane charged with assault but the evidence seems to show he was the one assaulted. Charges Dropped.
  4. Ex-Canberra Raider John Lomax charged with blackmail to do with wages. Charges dropped and Lomax may be suing.

That's it. 80+ Million well spent so far!

r1chard

Interesting summation of the Unions RC results so far.

The Dreadful Lawlessness:

1. A guy from the CFMEU in the ACT who probably did ask for a bribe on a couple of occasions, probably in trouble.
  2. A guy from the above company, not union affiliated, offing the bribe who denied said bribes perjuring himself as he had written a summation of them.
  3. A CFMEU organiser from Brisbane charged with assault but the evidence seems to show he was the one assaulted. Charges Dropped.
  4. Ex-Canberra Raider John Lomax charged with blackmail to do with wages. Charges dropped and Lomax may be suing.

That's it. 80+ Million well spent so far!

Hmm.. When I viewed that article earlier today there was a comment saying something like "good job ignoring the other 40 investigations underway and charges that have been laid because of the commission" but that comment is oddly missing now. I wonder whether there's any substance to that...

Hmm.. When I viewed that article earlier today there was a comment saying something like "good job ignoring the other 40 investigations underway and charges that have been laid because of the commission" but that comment is oddly missing now. I wonder whether there's any substance to that...

There is some other case in Victoria I've heard about to maybe do with Leighton Holdings but that's about it. Michalea Cash keeps going on about the 100+ people up on charges yet there is no evidence. Have 100+ people been put to the DPP and there it remains? Did the RC recommend charges and it never went anywhere? If 100+ CFMEU members where in the courts it would be everywhere in the media, would lead the front page everyday but...

Now the CFMEU are hardly choir boys, far from it, but it's quite clear a lot of the evidence is flimsy at best, downright bullshit at worst.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Shaneus are you OK? :p

Strange they have to wait until 2020 for another election and an Administrator will be appointed till them. But I suppose councils are a complete mystery.

Clive in trouble too.

Clive Palmer appears to have acted recklessly as a shadow director of Queensland Nickel and may have committed criminal offenses, according to a report by administrators.

Will depend on the the corporate watchdogs and the DPP if he is to face charges but if it wasn't already, Palmer United is dead/buried/cremated...

Two fools getting it on the same day.

Shaneus

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Shaneus are you OK? :p
giphy.gif

Arksy

Fun spray from Alan Jones on the factional nonsense going on the NSW liberal party at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxuWINNLud8&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=CorporalPepper

Also, at what age can you no longer call yourself a "Young" Liberal? Or is that a rhetorical question?

Young Labor cuts you off at around 26 but the Young Libs let you stay on 'till 31. Difference in approach here, Young Labor want to catch people during their university years while the Young Libs want to catch people as they start working.

Quasar

http://mashable.com/2016/04/12/telstra-marriage-equality

Allegedly under pressure from the Catholic Church, Australia's largest telecommunications provider will not be participating in the public campaign in support of same-sex marriage, a new report suggests.

According to The Australian, Archdiocese of Sydney business manager Michael Digges approached a number of companies who had given permission for their logo to be used in a newspaper advertisement in support of marriage equality in May 2015.

He suggested the church could withdraw business from participating companies, including Telstra, which reportedly serves Catholic schools around Australia.

And the plebiscite date hasn't even been announced yet.

http://mashable.com/2016/04/12/telstra-marriage-equality

And the plebiscite date hasn't even been announced yet.

Telstra is like the last company in the world that actually needs to back down in any practical sense. There's a heckalot of rural areas where Telstra is literally the only game in town (in the sense they have the only Network that's even mildly reliable). And they know this (it's why their prices are like 5x as much as some of their competition).

Shandy

My internet just came back on today after some Telstra dip clocked out halfway through reconnecting my internet at the exchange. And now this? Telstra can go dig a hole and die in it. I don't even care about the jobs, especially that one technician. So, also, thanks Malcolm for killing the NBN which was supposed to save us from those bastards.

SSM was always something I was for, but I never really thought that much about it because I never really thought about getting married. But I'm getting older and it just makes me fucking angry now. I think SCOTUS was a personal watershed for me. Like, if America can do it, what excuse does the government have to keep on denying us this? It doesn't make any fucking sense. Oh, just like the arguments against SSM. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahshfuisdhuiyfasoiuh

Ugh, so angry...

My internet just came back on today after some Telstra dip clocked out halfway through reconnecting my internet at the exchange. And now this? Telstra can go dig a hole and die in it. I don't even care about the jobs, especially that one technician. So, also, thanks Malcolm for killing the NBN which was supposed to save us from those bastards.

SSM was always something I was for, but I never really thought that much about it because I never really thought about getting married. But I'm getting older and it just makes me fucking angry now. I think SCOTUS was a personal watershed for me. Like, if America can do it, what excuse does the government have to keep on denying us this? It doesn't make any fucking sense. Oh, just like the arguments against SSM. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahshfuisdhuiyfasoiuh

Ugh, so angry...

Tbf SCOTUS had to do it because the actual legislative branch of the US government couldn't. The reason we don't have it by that means is because we a) don't have a Bill of Rights , which means we generally rely on weaker implied rights and b) our High Court generally seems far less willing to do such things (these things are probably related).

I mean it's still pathetic we can't given how much of the UK and Western Europe and New Zealand has.

Yagharek

Australia is usually about a decade behind NZ on human rights and somehow we never seem to learn. The conservative virus is widespread.

Quasar

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-...surplus-with-spending-cuts-alone-mood/7325930

Global rating agency Moody's has warned Treasurer Scott Morrison that spending cuts alone will not be enough to safeguard Australia's AAA credit rating.

In its latest note on the credit implications of current events, Moody's cited last Friday's announcement by Mr Morrison that his focus would be on spending cuts, not tax increases, to repair the budget deficit.

It is a view Mr Morrison repeated on the ABC's AM program today.

However, Moody's analysts Marie Diron and Matthew Circosta have warned spending cuts are unlikely to get Australia's budget back in the black over the next five years.

No revenue problem, huh?

Quasar

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-...rs-attack-individual-freedoms-lawyers/7325550

The New South Wales Government has been accused of ignoring the legal community while trying to push though laws, which the NSW Bar Association describes as an "unprecedented attack on individual freedoms and the rule of law".

Last month NSW Police Minister Troy Grant introduced a bill that would allow police to obtain new crime prevention orders that could restrict people's movements, ban them from employment or subject them to curfews for up to five years.

The orders are similar to those police can make against terrorism suspects, except they could be imposed on anyone deemed to be involved in serious criminal activity.

When introducing the laws Mr Grant said they were aimed at crippling organised crime and bikie gangs but the NSW Bar Association has described the proposed laws as draconian and questioned whether they could be unconstitutional.

"The NSW Government's Crimes [serious crime prevention orders] bill 2016 ... constitutes an unprecedented attack on individual freedoms and the rule of law," the association's president Neil Hutley SC said.

In a scathing statement posted on the Bar Association's website, Mr Hutley said the proposed law "potentially endangers the liberties of tens of thousands of NSW citizens".

"The potential for unwarranted interference in individuals liberties and their day to day lives is extreme," Mr Hutley said.

He argued the powers were not subject to necessary legal constraint or judicial oversight, and in many cases could circumvent basic rules of evidence.

Isn't the NSW government grand.

And this is why the slippery slope fallacy being used as an absolute denial of the obvious trajectory of low hanging fruit legislation is problematic. Because something isn't automatic doesn't mean it isn't extremely probable.

The liberal part is in pretty tiny writing, no Liberal party badge and a nice "green" stripe. Someone knows they are going to lose their seat and is trying to run solely on name recognition and distance themselves from their party!

The liberal part is in pretty tiny writing, no Liberal party badge and a nice "green" stripe. Someone knows they are going to lose their seat and is trying to run solely on name recognition and distance themselves from their party!

Its disturbing how quickly parties of government will have their members disown them (like if it even looks close they run a mile) opposition parties at least have to clearly be losing.

Its disturbing how quickly parties of government will have their members disown them (like if it even looks close they run a mile) opposition parties at least have to clearly be losing.

I can't find a picture of his actual sign just one of his office exterior, but in 2013 Chris Bowen did something very similar.

484694-6031170a-17c4-11e3-bfe3-15bd677d882b.jpg

Changed from red to orange and removed all references to the ALP. He was called on the cowardly maneuver back then.

I can't find a picture of his actual sign just one of his office exterior, but in 2013 Chris Bowen did something very similar.

484694-6031170a-17c4-11e3-bfe3-15bd677d882b.jpg

Changed from red to orange and removed all references to the ALP. He was called on the cowardly maneuver back then.
Yeah, I knew some ALP members did it too, wasn't expecting someone that high profile though.

Yeah, I knew some ALP members did it too, wasn't expecting someone that high profile though.

Found one:

593546-chris-bowen.jpg

Is he a democrat? Random guy on the street running for council?

Funny thing it may have worked. A few of them in that region went orange, Bowen, Jason Clare and Michelle Rowland and they probably suffered the smallest swings against them in comparison to the rest of the party, barely more than 2% compared to double figures in some places.

If I recall correctly Tony Burke did something similar. Given the result in their respective seats it seems like it might have been a fair idea.

I'm not sure I want to associate "saved my seat" with good idea automatically. If you need to make false implications about your party affiliation to hold your seat maybe you should either really not be in that parry or not have your seat.

Shaneus

I'm not sure I want to associate "saved my seat" with good idea automatically. If you need to make false implications about your party affiliation to hold your seat maybe you should either really not be in that parry or not have your seat.
Fingers crossed this comes to pass and Henderson is moved out. Can't stand her. Only realised the other day that Corangamite is the most marginal seat in Australia.

Quasar

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...b-amid-banking-firestorm-20160415-go7c4y.html

A major bank will help foot the bill for a glitzy pre-election political fundraiser to be fronted by Treasurer Scott Morrison and his deputy Kelly O'Dwyer at the same time as they are resisting calls for a royal commission into the scandal-plagued banking sector.

The $1200 to $2500-a-table breakfast, scheduled for 10 days after Mr Morrison delivers his first budget, will be held under the banner of co-sponsor National Australia Bank.

NAB is one of two corporate sponsors for the May 13 event organised by the Higgins 200 Club, a fundraising body that supports Ms O'Dwyer, the federal member for Higgins.

Ms O'Dwyer's office did not respond to a list of questions posed by Fairfax Media around whether it was appropriate to have a major bank as a financial sponsor during the political firestorm over a royal commission - a Labor proposal supported by some members of the Coalition.

Mr Morrison, who will deliver an analysis of the budget for Coalition donors, has insisted ASIC is a "tough cop on the beat" and there is no need to spend the $50 million-plus required for a royal commission.

The Coalition has been left exposed on the issue, having stripped $120 million from ASIC's budget.

Nothing suspicious there.

r1chard

Ahahaha, especially that line from the NAB that ASIC are the best people to handle investigations into banking. I think they've got to stop mentioning ASIC, or at least I'm pretty sure the Libs would prefer they stopped using it to counter the Royal Commission :-D

Ahahaha, especially that line from the NAB that ASIC are the best people to handle investigations into banking. I think they've got to stop mentioning ASIC, or at least I'm pretty sure the Libs would prefer they stopped using it to counter the Royal Commission :-D

I'm pretty sure the Libs started using it to counter the idea. Theoretically it's sort of true, the problem is that ASIC is a disturbingly good example of regulatory capture, they don't even really seem to be trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom