• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

aaaaa Classic Game Fest starts tomorrow. Gonna buy my wristband today. Didn't realize it was only 15$.

I'm actually going to be there tomorrow. Maybe around noon. Dunno if I would be on time to catch all of Richard Garriot's Ultima retrospective though.

God, hipster/east 6th street is great. So happy we're on the east side now. I think I'm the lone East Austin Gaffer. XD

I need to see what's up with my bike's brakes, though. Gonna check out Pedal Pushers soon, there's no excuse for me to not have my bike up to snuff when I'm in a super cyclist-friendly area.

And Zoe, have you seen Szechuan peppercorns at Whole Foods? I'm running low, and I don't wanna go all the way up north to get them. :p

neshcom

Banned
Over in the console games area wearing a grey Hearth and Oates shirt. Met up with a friend, so dunno how long I'll be around.

I'd be gang to get a drink or food after though. Didn't want to just drive down here for this...

Ultima_5

Might be moving to Austin. The company I interviewed at emailed me to say they're willing to make me an offer tomorrow.

Going to Austin in a couple of weeks, any must see places? Looking to trail run and eat BBQ! Also, uchi or uchiko?
Uchi for the sushi bar. Uchiko for the hot kitchen. Pick what you like more.

If you go to Uchiko, you must get a dessert. Their pastry program is so great.

Poeton

Uchi for the sushi bar. Uchiko for the hot kitchen. Pick what you like more.

If you go to Uchiko, you must get a dessert. Their pastry program is so great.

A little side note: They gave their pastry chef his own restaurant called St. Phillip. They do really good sandwiches and pizzas.

Timeaisis

So I grabbed some ACL (Fri+Sat Week 1) single day passes and I'm really glad I did, because both Saturdays are already sold out now. I guess everyone is in for Drake.
Even though I couldn't care less about Drake :p

Meier

My wife and I had Michi Ramen for the first time last night (my first time actually having ramen in general) as they finally opened the one on South Lamar. Very tasty. We haven't been to the other popular one yet that also opened on South Lamar because they only have vegetarian ramen on Saturdays (or Sunday?).

A little side note: They gave their pastry chef his own restaurant called St. Phillip. They do really good sandwiches and pizzas.
Yea but Philip Speers is excommunicated from Uchi after his drunken romp from the cops. :p
My wife and I had Michi Ramen for the first time last night (my first time actually having ramen in general) as they finally opened the one on South Lamar. Very tasty. We haven't been to the other popular one yet that also opened on South Lamar because they only have vegetarian ramen on Saturdays (or Sunday?).
Michi Ramen is the secret best ramen in town. No line like Tatsuya, almost-as-good broth, and right now they have delicious hiyashi chuuka for summer.

Meier

Michi Ramen is the secret best ramen in town. No line like Tatsuya, almost-as-good broth, and right now they have delicious hiyashi chuuka for summer.

Ramen Tatsuya, that's right. We will try them some day but like I said, they only have vegetarian options the one day so it's a bit limited. Michi down South is to-go only for those who are interested in grabbing some. The mochi root beer ice cream was delicious.

Timeaisis

Ramen Tatsuya is definitely worth a try. Their spicy ramen (forget it's name) is really delicious. EDIT: Miso hot

It's odd, some days I go and the line is super quick. Other times it takes forever to up to order. And this is almost always Fri or Saturdays, so it seems pretty random. Anyway worth going if you like ramen. I'll definitely check Michi out next.

TL21xx

Banned
Ramen Tatsuya is awesome. Finally got around to checking it out with a friend a few months ago and can't wait to go back when I get back from Los Angeles in a week or so. 2 months out here have really made me realize how much I love Austin.

Don't forget that there's two locations now for Ramen Tatsu-ya

Best is the #5 Tsukemen

GTFO

I don't want to meet you anymore. Lol

Ramen Tatsuya is definitely worth a try. Their spicy ramen (forget it's name) is really delicious.

Mi-So-Hot

Zoe

Ramen Tatsuya, that's right. We will try them some day but like I said, they only have vegetarian options the one day so it's a bit limited. Michi down South is to-go only for those who are interested in grabbing some. The mochi root beer ice cream was delicious.
Apparently they have brothless vegan ramen during lunch. Otherwise, their veggie ramen is only Sunday night.

Timeaisis

Ok. Had Michi last night thanks to you guys. Not sure if I like it or Tetsuya better, but it was definitely really good. I recommend it for sure.

Speaking of food, Eureka opened downtown. It's a sit down burger place that I found really good. Hipstery for sure, but that's what you get downtown. Pretty good beer selection, too.

Since its officially August now, it's time to decide on the August meet up. Everyone was lazy last month and Bryce and I were the only ones that actually met up. Good job, you lazy bastards.

So...thoughts? I really want to bar hop rainey street one of these days, by I dunno how exciting that is to y'all. If you have ideas speak up.

Crud

Banned
Ok. Had Michi last night thanks to you guys. Not sure if I like it or Tetsuya better, but it was definitely really good. I recommend it for sure.

Speaking of food, Eureka opened downtown. It's a sit down burger place that I found really good. Hipstery for sure, but that's what you get downtown. Pretty good beer selection, too.

Since its officially August now, it's time to decide on the August meet up. Everyone was lazy last month and Bryce and I were the only ones that actually met up. Good job, you lazy bastards.

So...thoughts? I really want to bar hop rainey street one of these days, by I dunno how exciting that is to y'all. If you have ideas speak up.

Blackheart is probably my favorite bar on rainy. I'm a river rat. Usually on Red River most the time if I'm bar hopping. Bar 96 is basic but its cool with me. Bungalow is cool as well. I'm down to bar hop with Gaffers that would be fun I think.

Blackheart is probably my favorite bar on rainy. I'm a river rat. Usually on Red River most the time if I'm bar hopping. Bar 96 is basic but its cool with me. Bungalow is cool as well. I'm down to bar hop with Gaffers that would be fun I think.

Black heart is pretty great. I'll be on vacation for most of august so you guys have fun

Blackheart has the best music, it's always hard and rocking.

Craft has the best beer selection. But Lucille's is the best and has the prettiest girls, by far. :3

I've lived in South Florida for 30 years and there is a small chance I might move to Austin.

How awesome is Austin?

Timeaisis

I've lived in South Florida for 30 years and there is a small chance I might move to Austin.

How awesome is Austin?

I am a Florida transplant as well. It's pretty awesome, although the traffic is indeed bad haha. And it's hot. But you should be used to that.

But there's lots to do an it's pretty fun town overall.

The traffic is bad

It is. I had kind of forgotten just how bad it is until I visited San Antonio and Houston last week. Rush hour in those cities is poetry in motion compared to the nightmare that is Austin any time of the day.

Drivers camping out in your blind spots, blocking you if you dare use your blinker, playing chicken with you at stop signs, lane changing on top of you without so much as a glance at their rearview mirror (much less over the shoulder). I have an easier time getting around LA than in this town.

Meier

How awesome is Austin?

It's very, very hot here. Different than the heat in Florida.. my wife prefers this because she hates humidity, but I'd take the daily rain of Florida over this personally. Traffic is absolute shit, but you'll be used to that.

R.e. Rainey Street: I like going to Craft Pride because Via 313 is an absolute dream.

neshcom

Banned
It mostly seems like the worst of traffic is just during rush hour, right? Traffic's pretty decent for me during my off-schedule drive time. It is pretty trash once 4, 430 rolls around, but rush hour traffic happens. #WorkFromHomeRepresent

I'd be down for a meet-up this month, but it's con season for me, so hopefully it'll falls on a week that works.

Frenden

Banned
It is. I had kind of forgotten just how bad it is until I visited San Antonio and Houston last week. Rush hour in those cities is poetry in motion compared to the nightmare that is Austin any time of the day.

Drivers camping out in your blind spots, blocking you if you dare use your blinker, playing chicken with you at stop signs, lane changing on top of you without so much as a glance at their rearview mirror (much less over the shoulder). I have an easier time getting around LA than in this town.

Splitting lanes on the 405 on my motorcycle is safer than driving a car on 35.

Frenden

Banned
I was driving from Georgetown to Austin proper for work for three years and it would take three or four hours of my life every day. I'm glad to be working from home again.

I just walk fifteen feet and I'm done. Much better.

BkEU6FWCMAE7MzE.png
Illustration of author walking fifteen feet.

I'm hoping to be accepted into UT's aerospace engineering program for Summer/Fall 2016 as I'll be finished with most of the transfer recommendations by Spring. Planning to make the move something in December of this year so I can finish up the last few things at an Austin Community College. I'd finish things up in Houston but I have to move before January anyway so it might as well be to my final destination!

Can anyone recommend apartment locations around the UT campus(less than a 20 minute drive)? Highly doubt I'll be able to work full time with the course load so the cheaper the better(1 bedroom is fine) while still being close to the campus. Obviously going to be driving to the city more in the next few months so it'd be nice to know where to start looking.

Thanks, really looking forward to moving to Austin. Have always loved visiting!

Traffic comments make me sad though, feel like Houston is pretty awful both in terms of hold ups and crazy drivers.

kgtrep

I'm hoping to be accepted into UT's aerospace engineering program for Summer/Fall 2016 as I'll be finished with most of the transfer recommendations by Spring. Planning to make the move something in December of this year so I can finish up the last few things at an Austin Community College. I'd finish things up in Houston but I have to move before January anyway so it might as well be to my final destination!

Can anyone recommend apartment locations around the UT campus(less than a 20 minute drive)? Highly doubt I'll be able to work full time with the course load so the cheaper the better(1 bedroom is fine) while still being close to the campus. Obviously going to be driving to the city more in the next few months so it'd be nice to know where to start looking.

Thanks, really looking forward to moving to Austin. Have always loved visiting!

Traffic comments make me sad though, feel like Houston is pretty awful both in terms of hold ups and crazy drivers.

There are many apartments between 32nd and 53rd street (north campus), but the rent for 1 bedroom has increased a lot over the past years. I'd guess $850-900 for 1 bedroom right now, and most places do not have large square footage for such price.

The convenience can't be easily matched by other areas, however. Even if you live further away from campus, public transportation (metro bus, UT bus, or rapid bus) should help you with your commute (all these are free for the students). So do consider the bus stations in mind when you look for apartments.

Top Bottom