• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

Rough week for the city, there were some gnarly fatal car accidents this week. And the arson that KXAN reported yesterday literally took place one block from my house.

But wow, random cold front.

Zoe

I'm very jealous that bf got to run in this weather when I had to suffer in the heat last night.

neshcom

Banned
It was nice to not have to sit in ungodly heat during the drive home. Made having to sit in rush hour traffic kinda nice.

Fukumoto over in my neck of the woods looks like it's gonna be the tits.

I'd definitely make a meetup there.
free-happy-smileys-839.gif

Zoe

Americans attempting to use bidets? Do not want.

bf has fallen hard for Lavaca Teppan lately.

Yeah, I think La Barbecue gets dismissed because it's not a good ol' Texas title and it's relatively new to Austin (although I think it's been here a solid few years, now). It's delicious, though.

Sydle

It's a little warm today. I may have to make a run to Dolce Neve for some gelato in a bit.

I went to franklins today and can't imagine a better brisket, how does la barbecue compare?

Micklethwaits pork ribs blow franklins out of the water though

I've been to both a lot and I think Franklin's and La Barbecue are true equals when it comes to brisket. La Barbecue blows Franklin out of the water when it comes to sausage.

Timeaisis

Dunno if I'll be able to make it out tonight...still at work. If I do come out it'll be a little later. I'll hit you guys up then if your still around.

neshcom

Banned
Probably get there in 30-40, but I'll keep an eye out if y'all hop before I arrive. Longg, curly brown hair wearing a plaid shirt with grey pants.
Edit: arrived. No idea where anyone else is!

Crud

Banned
Wish I was there the broke got the best of me. I would not be a blast to be around when my pockets dry. Next time I swear!

Skull_Splosion

Neo Member
Aw, I wish I had the time to go down to Austin. I don't even live that far away (Waco). I used to go on day trips there all the time. I didn't even know you guys had a community down there.

Haha! My time at the former-Remington is almost up! What a weird coincidence
Haha. Well I decided to go with Ten Oaks because I didn't feel comfortable with their pet interview. Otherwise I was going to ask how you like it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I immediately knew that school was back when Mopac traffic at 7:45 AM was backed up bumper to bumper 1 mile north of the toll. Time to be very timely - either get to work at 7 AM or VPN until 9 AM. Absolute fail in infrastructure planning - Austin should have broke ground on 3 more freeways across the city during the toll lane construction.

I know I'm not imagining it getting worse. I coworker was a former coworker for 2 years. He went to CA. He's back. I asked him and he agreed it was insane.

Zoe

Amazingly enough, traffic has been pretty good these past two days. The construction at McNeil finally clearing up likely made a huge difference.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I hope the toll lane finishing does the same, it's just at a big picture given Austin's explosive growth and 2 points of failure N/S traffic (35/Mopac), you'd think projects would be well under way. I love the area but the traffic is concerning. Considering how legendary El Nino is likely to be starting in October and how traffic escalates in response to rain/ice, I'm not looking forward to commute times over the next 8 months.

On a more random note, October is coming. If you all haven't done scare for the cure, check it out. Pretty cool. I couldn't convince many of my friends to buy tickets before they sold out, but a few of us went last year and it was great. Some bitch kept checking her iPhone and forced a zombie to break character - got what was coming to her when fake blood splooged all over it.

Well, I just accepted my job offer and everything seems to be in line for a move-in on the 1st. I've lived in Florida my whole life (except when I did an internship the first half of this year in Cuperino CA) so it's going to be weird.

All this talk about traffic has me worried but ill be 4 miles from work which is basically just Parmer Ln, so hopefully not too bad. NorCal traffic was an adjustment but I ended up dealing with it okay by the end.

Any recommendations on Internet between AT&T and TWC? AT&T has gigabit but its u-verse and I hate having to use their spotty equipment. Otherwise I was thinking 100 or 300 Mbit with TWC and I already own all my own equipment. Right now I have Comcast and its fine until it's not which I hear is how TWC is.

KodaRuss

Well, I just accepted my job offer and everything seems to be in line for a move-in on the 1st. I've lived in Florida my whole life (except when I did an internship the first half of this year in Cuperino CA) so it's going to be weird.

All this talk about traffic has me worried but ill be 4 miles from work which is basically just Parmer Ln, so hopefully not too bad. NorCal traffic was an adjustment but I ended up dealing with it okay by the end.

Any recommendations on Internet between AT&T and TWC? AT&T has gigabit but its u-verse and I hate having to use their spotty equipment. Otherwise I was thinking 100 or 300 Mbit with TWC and I already own all my own equipment. Right now I have Comcast and its fine until it's not which I hear is how TWC is.

TWC was god awful when I lived in Austin (graduated in 08) AT&T is your best bet imo.

Zoe

We have TWC for Internet, Uverse for TV. Gigabit won't be coming to our apartment any time soon.

Timeaisis

Well, you're in luck, Parmer lane traffic is not bad at all. I live around those parts as well. It only gets awful when you have to get an a highwway (Mopac or 35).

As far as internet is concerned, each company is equally terrible. :)
TWC might be slightly more convenient. But still terrible.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Well kids,

Looks like I'm coming back to Austin after about 3 years in NYC. Loved it hear, but wife and I are both homesick.

Just put an offer in on a home in Rosedale (45th and burnet area) which puts me walking distance to Draft house (pub not theater), Upper Crust and Stetsons. Pinthouse and Blue Star are close ish too. Lived in the area for about 6 years until we moved, so I know it pretty well.

Heard the old Poodle Dog is a niceish cocktail bar now which kind of irks me, but I'm excited about lil Woodrow's as a nice compliment to Billy's.

Tigress is a short uber and a drunk uber back.

Any new places I should check out (food or drinks) in the last few years? I've been home 3-4x since then but mostly hung with friends.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Hey guys

I'm thinking of relocating to the Austin area. Two questions:

Anywhere I should avoid living?

How are the jobs in IT down there? (I'm coming from NJ, where, in such close proximity to NYC, IT jobs are dime a dozen)

Thanks!

Thanks for the ISP info. I'm going to go with TWC seeing that I have all the equipment and I can get it hooked up almost immediately.

Anyone bike Walnut Creek trails? I'm super excited to be in riding distance of that.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Well kids,

Looks like I'm coming back to Austin after about 3 years in NYC. Loved it hear, but wife and I are both homesick.

Just put an offer in on a home in Rosedale (45th and burnet area) which puts me walking distance to Draft house (pub not theater), Upper Crust and Stetsons. Pinthouse and Blue Star are close ish too. Lived in the area for about 6 years until we moved, so I know it pretty well.

Heard the old Poodle Dog is a niceish cocktail bar now which kind of irks me, but I'm excited about lil Woodrow's as a nice compliment to Billy's.

Tigress is a short uber and a drunk uber back.

Any new places I should check out (food or drinks) in the last few years? I've been home 3-4x since then but mostly hung with friends.

In that area, Peached Tortilla, Noble Pig, Pint House Pizza, and Republic of Sandwich all delicious food and drink places that have opened up since you left. Welcome back!

sado

Y'know, things break...
Hey guys

How are the jobs in IT down there? (I'm coming from NJ, where, in such close proximity to NYC, IT jobs are dime a dozen)

Thanks!

Avoid Rundberg, North Lamar, and Rutland areas. North West Austin is still somewhat good if you're looking for a deal to rent. Otherwise, Cedar Park and Pflugerville are good options if you don't want the chaos that is the center of the city but still want to be able to enjoy it without too big of a distance.

IT jobs are good. Lots of sub contracted companies working for MS looking for entry level guys and plenty for those in the Network Engineering/Programing Field. Heard Rackspace is also looking or was recently.

Zoe

Hey guys

Thanks!

Please secure a job before getting here. Especially for figuring out where to live.

Top Bottom