• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

There are many apartments between 32nd and 53rd street (north campus), but the rent for 1 bedroom has increased a lot over the past years. I'd guess $850-900 for 1 bedroom right now, and most places do not have large square footage for such price.

The convenience can't be easily matched by other areas, however. Even if you live further away from campus, public transportation (metro bus, UT bus, or rapid bus) should help you with your commute (all these are free for the students). So do consider the bus stations in mind when you look for apartments.
I approve of this post.

Also, some neo-nazis stabbed some guys by East Side Pies last night. I was super close to going to drink on hipster 6th last night but wound up going to dirty/west 6th.

Make the switch Troubled Bat

neshcom

Banned
I like how big the Lakeline Alamo is, but I'm looking forward to moving closer to the Lamar/Slaughter theaters. But maybe I can't blame Alamo for a janky summer season.

I went bike riding... Biggest mistake of my life. I swear I almost passed out in the heat, which would have been because I was in a deserted area.

I went bike riding... Biggest mistake of my life. I swear I almost passed out in the heat, which would have been bad because I was in a deserted area.
The plan was to ride my bike from east 12th to my job downtown, but fuck that. These hills are too much for my amateur ass. XD I'll ride to HEB and I'll keep walking home.

Frenden

Banned
I'm considering it.

YJuUPpo.png

Hmm...

IgvCCCO.png

I worked for the company that makes all the Keep Austin Weird, SXSW, Rot Rally, and Chuys tees for a couple of years. I drew a lot of bat themed tee shirts, haha. Always tried to sneak bats and 'dillos into the touristy stuff I had to make.

Frenden

Banned
These companies make super bland, conservative designs that don't feature art as "silly" as that bat I drew often. It was a real creative fight to get that sort of thing pushed through.

If it ain't tie-dyed with white text, good luck!

FartOfWar

Banned
Traffic has become more violent here over time.

Speaking of Houston, two weekends ago, myself, my wife and two girls (ages 6 and 18 mos) are on our way to Houston. We are on 183 heading South when a Silverado pickup truck tails us for what felt like a lifetime. We were stuck on our lane with no where to go. I could not see his front bumper in my sideciew mirror. BAM. He makes contact. Yet stays the course and is on our asses. He breaks off to next lane, and cuts us hard to where had we not slammed on our brakes, he would have deliverately slammed us to side of 183. I'm on phone with cops this whole time. Cops catch up as dude takes the 290 exit to Houston. We recount the story.

This was on a saturday. We followed up and had a statement on the guy out on monday after we got back in time.

Ages 6 and 18 months...
Sorry to hear it. Ive lived in san diego, san fran, seattle, and boston and texas drivers are by far the worst. I despise driving here. Was curious to what extent I was confirming my bias with observations and researched national acccident rate data. Texas is indeed in top ten most dangerous states to drive and austins fatal crash rate is extremely high. F150s, silverados, and rams drivers are the lowest of the low.

Frenden

Banned
Sorry to hear it. Ive lived in san diego, san fran, seattle, and boston and texas drivers are by far the worst. I despise driving here. Was curious to what extent I was confirming my bias with observations and researched national acccident rate data. Texas is indeed in top ten most dangerous states to drive and austins fatal crash rate is extremely high. F150s, silverados, and rams drivers are the lowest of the low.

I've lived/worked a few places and Texas is the worst I've experienced. LA, Toronto, and Chicago have nothing on Texas traffic. Though Chicago has pockets of awful during construction season.

FartOfWar

Banned
I've lived/worked a few places and Texas is the worst I've experienced. LA, Toronto, and Chicago have nothing on Texas traffic. Though Chicago has pockets of awful during construction season.
Traffic itself is far worse in three of the four cities I listed, but the drivers here are dangerous. Unecessary lane changes, aggressive, tailgating, low impulse control,speeding, etc. Accident data reflects these idiots mistaken sense of immunity in their gas guzzling super duty trucks.

Frenden

Banned
Traffic itself is far worse in three of the four cities I listed, but the drivers here are dangerous. Unecessary lane changes, aggressive, tailgating, low impulse control,speeding, etc. Accident data reflects these idiots mistaken sense of immunity in their gas guzzling super duty trucks.

I agree with that impression. Traffic has been as bad or worse other places, but the general skill level of driving here seems lower.

Knox

I agree with that impression. Traffic has been as bad or worse other places, but the general skill level of driving here seems lower.

I've kinda always attributed that to a lot of people in Austin are from other parts of the country, so there's a mix up of generally accepted driving rules that clash with each other.

This heat.

How does anyone deal with cars w/ leather seats during the summer? This is my first summer with my car and it's a straight up iron on my seats. I could press my suit just by laying it out inside my car.

I'm sooo excited to finally get back to Austin in a couple of weeks for school. After my first year there, being in Lubbock again for the summer has been a little boring. This year I'm hoping to venture outside of the campus area a little more for food so I'll definitely be reading through this thread for suggestions. Those ramen places on this page are at the top of my list, they sound great!

Thanks for the replies! For those who have been to San Francisco often, how would you compare the drivers in Austin to there? That's the one place I've been where I felt scared driving just because everyone seems insane. On every ride around someone was pulling into a no turn lane, performing sudden uies, and so on.

Zoe

Thanks for the replies! For those who have been to San Francisco often, how would you compare the drivers in Austin to there? That's the one place I've been where I felt scared driving just because everyone seems insane. On every ride around someone was pulling into a no turn lane, performing sudden uies, and so on.

You'll probably see that behavior around downtown and UT, but get farther out and it's not that bad.

I worked for the company that makes all the Keep Austin Weird, SXSW, Rot Rally, and Chuys tees for a couple of years. I drew a lot of bat themed tee shirts, haha. Always tried to sneak bats and 'dillos into the touristy stuff I had to make.

It gives me even more reason to use the avatar. :3

Random Fact: My username isn't just some random thing I came up with. It's because of the bats in Austin, TX. Whooo!

Frenden

Banned
It gives me even more reason to use the avatar. :3

Random Fact: My username isn't just some random thing I came up with. It's because of the bats in Austin, TX. Whooo!

Awesome. I worked in animal rescue while doing art stuff before the latter became my full time.

I have pigs, cats, and chickens right now, but we've had goats, sheep, pigs, chickens, guinea foul, ducks, rabbits, ferrets, horses, lizards...

You get the idea. I've never had bats, though. They're so rad. I used to talk to one of the dudes that did bat wildlife rehab here, but I haven't seen him online for a year or two.

Zoe

Don't they have structures you can build for bats to perch on? I'm sure you need to be really close to downtown (or the Round Rock colony) though.

Frenden

Banned
Don't they have structures you can build for bats to perch on? I'm sure you need to be really close to downtown (or the Round Rock colony) though.

I've had bird and bat houses on my property before (and we had bats briefly living in them on my old farm in Illinois), but I'm out in the middle of nowhere on six acres near Georgetown now. When I say had bats, I mean, like rehab'd or fostered them.

Timeaisis

The Super Official August Rainey Street Meet-Up, Hang-Out and Social Gathering

Friday, August 21st - 8:00 PM
Rainy Street - Starting at Container Bar

This one is going to be relaxed. I feel like we have the most fun when we're just chilling, anyway. So just come down, have a drink, and hang out while we figure out what the hell the big deal is about Rainey Street.

We need somewhere to start at. I've only been to Rainey like once or twice, and I forget basically everything. Let us know. I know Blackheart was suggested as a good bar.

Rainy Street - Needs a bar to start at -- suggestions?

This one is going to be relaxed. I feel like we have the most fun when we're just chilling, anyway. So just come down, have a drink, and hang out while we figure out what the hell the big deal is about Rainey Street.

We need somewhere to start at. I've only been to Rainey like once or twice, and I forget basically everything. Let us know. I know Blackheart was suggested as a good bar.
Container Bar is trendy as hell, and it's at the (north) start of Rainey.

I may or may not be able to make it, depending on how my work schedule pans out (next week is posted tomorrow morning). If I work the day after it'll be a no-go, since I wake up at 2:50am for my job.
free-happy-smileys-839.gif

Timeaisis

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/chick-fil-owner-shocked-employees-194620368.html

Chik Fil A at Arboretum made some news today after reopening from a 5 month hiatus to reconstruct the place.

Man, that's really cool of them.

Container Bar is trendy as hell, and it's at the (north) start of Rainey.

I may or may not be able to make it, depending on how my work schedule pans out (next week is posted tomorrow morning). If I work the day after it'll be a no-go, since I wake up at 2:50am for my job.
free-happy-smileys-839.gif

Awesome, thanks. Hope you can make it. :)

Timeaisis

How's everyone doing? I had to work over the weekend so it kind of sucked for me. It's been pretty hot. I'm ready for summer to be over, dunno about you guys.

fuzzyset

I'm very much ready for summer to be over. I just never want to do things outdoors in this heat. Is that meetup still happening this weekend?

Crud

Banned

Rainy Street - Starting at Container Bar

I will be ass broke so I will pre game before I come. Lol I'm real tite rite now but I wanna hang with ATX GAF.

Timeaisis

Guys, it wasn't that hot yesterday. Our ac at work decided to not work as hard, though. So it felt like it. Hope this weekend isn't as much of a squelcher as the last one.

I don't want summer to be over. I won't be able to get my full body tan.
Batty pls.

I'm very much ready for summer to be over. I just never want to do things outdoors in this heat. Is that meetup still happening this weekend?

If people are still interested, then yes.

Fuck, those were two really good days off. ^-^

The evenings are getting more and more comfortable, and I see more cyclists when I'm out around town. It's gonna be a really fun autumn.

Are there any other central or east-side Gaffers?

Nafai1123

Banned
Heading the Austin for the first time ever tomorrow, so excited! (BTW this thread is fantastic, thanks for the suggestions)

GiJoccin

Hit up Micklethwaits after the wait was too long at Franklins... Holy shit the pork and beef ribs were absolutely unctuous...

Top Bottom