• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Please secure a job before getting here. Especially for figuring out where to live.

That goes without a doubt, I'm not foolish enough to move across the country without a job lined up -- my lease is up in March, so I'm in the VERY early stages, but now I have a general idea where to look for work / prices on places to live, etc.

Zoe

That goes without a doubt, I'm not foolish enough to move across the country without a job lined up -- my lease is up in March, so I'm in the VERY early stages, but now I have a general idea where to look for work / prices on places to live, etc.

Hah, you'd think so, but I've seen many people online, and even met some professionals in real life, who moved here without anything lined up other than a dream.

Crud

Banned
Hah, you'd think so, but I've seen many people online, and even met some professionals in real life, who moved here without anything lined up other than a dream.

My friend moved here with nothing slept behind a HEB for two weeks until he got a job. People know there is work here and will come with just the clothes on their back.

Chris R

I'm spending a few nights downtown in Austin in October for a conference. Any particular restaurants I need to visit that are walkable from the downtown hotels?

Think I might try to get to Franklin BBQ again since I wasn't able to get there last time I was in Austin.

Frenden

Banned
My friend moved here with nothing slept behind a HEB for two weeks until he got a job. People know there is work here and will come with just the clothes on their back.

I moved here sight-unseen three years ago. Picked a house to rent online, packed up my stuff, moved here without ever visiting.

But I freelance, so that's easier.

Zoe

I always go to Max's Wine Dive or Gus's Fried Chicken whenever I have to go to the convention center.

Franklin lines have actually been decent the past couple of days now that everybody's back in school.

I moved here sight-unseen three years ago. Picked a house to rent online, packed up my stuff, moved here without ever visiting.

No wonder you're in Georgetown.

Frenden

Banned
I always go to Max's Wine Dive or Gus's Fried Chicken whenever I have to go to the convention center.

Franklin lines have actually been decent the past couple of days now that everybody's back in school.

No wonder you're in Georgetown.

Pretty much. I had farm critters and stuff, too, though. I'm on six acres and have two pet pigs. That doesn't fly a lot of places.

Frenden

Banned
I lived very rurally in IL for ten years. I remember searching for a shoe store and the nearest result that wasn't Walmart was 65 miles away.

Georgetown feels absolutely metropolitan in comparison.

In fairness, I'm technically Georgetown, but am not in town proper. Unincorporated, never see neighbors, wooded acreage, big deck, fire pit. There are perks.

I drive in to Austin often.

Zoe

I could not live in Georgetown. Just can't.

We might... They're still building new houses out there, and bf would certainly be happy living right next to Mel's, but it definitely wouldn't be worth it if either of us worked south of Parmer/35.

Coolluck

I'm spending a few nights downtown in Austin in October for a conference. Any particular restaurants I need to visit that are walkable from the downtown hotels?

Think I might try to get to Franklin BBQ again since I wasn't able to get there last time I was in Austin.

Do you have access to a car because you may as well just drive down to Lockhart.

Crud

Banned
We might... They're still building new houses out there, and bf would certainly be happy living right next to Mel's, but it definitely wouldn't be worth it if either of us worked south of Parmer/35.

I'm living far east but I want to move up North around Parmer to be closer to work. I used to live right off Metric across from ACC Northridge. That was a great location looking around there. Plus most my friends live up north. I only do houses I cant stand apartments.

Zoe

I'm living far east but I want to move up North around Parmer to be closer to work. I used to love right off Metric across from ACC Northridge. That was a great location looking around there. Plus most my friends live up north. I only do houses I cant stand apartments.

Parmer is definitely my comfort zone, preferably west of Mopac.

Timeaisis

I'm living far east but I want to move up North around Parmer to be closer to work. I used to love right off Metric across from ACC Northridge. That was a great location looking around there. Plus most my friends live up north. I only do houses I cant stand apartments.

Parmer is the secret best place to live in Austin. Cheaper rent, enough shit around, short(ish) drive to just about anywhere you want to go (downtown, central, northwest, east side, etc.), easy access to mopac AND 35, much better traffic traffic.

Also, I love how this thread goes through patches of nothingness and then randomly explodes with activity sometimes.

Crud

Banned
I'm off today so I'm sitting on GAF bored. I just wanna drink beer somewhere but its too early. I feel like an alcoholic lol. I only had 2 beers this work week I wanna take a load off. Probably just get some Lone Star from the gas station and take my ass back home lol.

neshcom

Banned
Hah, that's literally what I did. It's why I ended up loving an hour from work. At least it's been crazy cheap up north.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Hah, that's literally what I did. It's why I ended up loving an hour from work. At least it's been crazy cheap up north.

This may be a crazy absurd longshot, but I don't see the term Neshcom very often. Are you THE neshcom from <>?

Chris R

Do you have access to a car because you may as well just drive down to Lockhart.

I'll have a car, but after sitting my ass down in meetings all day long I'd rather walk somewhere downtown than drive for a bit. That being said, drive down to Lockhart for what?

Lathentar

Looking for Pants

Just hit Kerlin BBQ instead. Next to no line and nearly as good.

With school starting the lines at BBQ places have been much shorter than usual. I went to La BBQ at 1 PM yesterday and only stood behind 3 people before ordering. It was amazing.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Well kids,

Looks like I'm coming back to Austin after about 3 years in NYC. Loved it hear, but wife and I are both homesick.

Just put an offer in on a home in Rosedale (45th and burnet area) which puts me walking distance to Draft house (pub not theater), Upper Crust and Stetsons. Pinthouse and Blue Star are close ish too. Lived in the area for about 6 years until we moved, so I know it pretty well.

Heard the old Poodle Dog is a niceish cocktail bar now which kind of irks me, but I'm excited about lil Woodrow's as a nice compliment to Billy's.

Tigress is a short uber and a drunk uber back.

Any new places I should check out (food or drinks) in the last few years? I've been home 3-4x since then but mostly hung with friends.

In addition to the existing comments, look forward to Brass Tap opening in the Domain and actually making the Domain useful.

Hey guys

I'm thinking of relocating to the Austin area. Two questions:

Anywhere I should avoid living?

How are the jobs in IT down there? (I'm coming from NJ, where, in such close proximity to NYC, IT jobs are dime a dozen)

Thanks!

I recommend scoping out commutes by trying them out if possible. Or at the very least try google maps directions during rush hour and add 30-50% it's optimistic estimate.

The general scalability problem with Texas infrastructure has a long history. Texas is massive - it wasn't feasible for cities and businesses to construct large scale daily roads. So instead everything is built along subsidized public highways. Businesses are on adjacent service/access roads. That's why you'll see everything clusterfuck along I-35, Mopac (loop 1), 183 - because it doesn't matter if you're commuting to work 10 miles, 1 mile, or getting groceries, everyone gets in the pile. If you like the core downtown culture, I recommend living within 2 miles of what you want to do everyday, and avoid I-35/Mopac/183. If you plan on living in suburbs, choose a place that you can easily get onto toll roads (45/Mopac toll/130) and avoid 7-8AM, 4-6PM. In addition to this mess there's this douchebag that throws rocks at cars over 1-35 - my wife's new car got hit 1 week after construction debris flinging and breaking her windshield a second time.

Also remember that it gets very hot during the Summer here. Nearly all apartments were hastily, cheaply built. The landlord gives 0 fucks if the wall has 0 insulation, and Austin Energy will rob you will sending you newsletters proudly announcing they're 10% renewable. To give you an idea of how bad this is, both my original apartment and my 2nd apartment with my wife were about 750 sq feet. Both were on the top of 3 floors, and would struggle to keep the temperature below 80 degrees before dusk. My 1st apartment was the worst - there were some days that the AC wouldn't get below 80 until midnight. The bills were about $180/month. Now we live in a house several times that size - thanks to a competitive market and improvements to insulation we pay less than that with 100% renewable. It's one thing to pay more and it suck, it's another to not be able to sleep. If you get an apartment I recommend not getting top floor with a high rise ceiling. Also carefully look at leases as some apartments will force you to pay every month left if you break the lease early.

If you get a house, lookup your property taxes. We got a house bigger than it should have been and we'll manage, but it would have been much more ideal to aim for a smaller one. It's like 2.x% a year when you add it all up. Also beware of new houses - there isn't a standard guaranteed garage length size. Our houses' garage requires use to use 2 bays to fit a normal sedan diagonally.

Also consider
It's actually still good but I wish the government would actually execute on transit planning that's actually relevant to the public

Parmer is the secret best place to live in Austin. Cheaper rent, enough shit around, short(ish) drive to just about anywhere you want to go (downtown, central, northwest, east side, etc.), easy access to mopac AND 35, much better traffic traffic.

Also, I love how this thread goes through patches of nothingness and then randomly explodes with activity sometimes.

I used to think that about stuff along 183 between mopac and 35. From lifer Austinite friends, they say it reminds them of downtown somewhat from 15 years ago. Afordable, ethnic, interesting while downtown has become a gentrified place where it seems like anything is awesome if it's in a food truck. I guess Wells Branch is next.

I do enjoy going downtown during SXSW, but otherwise I tend to go Summer/December when UT is out. There's interesting stuff down there, but it isn't worth 2 hours of driving.

Chris R

Just hit Kerlin BBQ instead. Next to no line and nearly as good.

With school starting the lines at BBQ places have been much shorter than usual. I went to La BBQ at 1 PM yesterday and only stood behind 3 people before ordering. It was amazing.

Might try to visit them since I'm in a hotel in San Marcos until my conference starts because of F1 weekend (at least I'm not in San Antonio this time!)

kodecraft

Preach!

Parmer best place to live? Now I've heard everything! Haha

I suppose if you bring money into it, the value for the place you would be getting. There are way more interesting areas than parmer and I say that as someone who lived one exit north of parmer

Zoe

Parmer best place to live? Now I've heard everything! Haha

I suppose if you bring money into it, the value for the place you would be getting. There are way more interesting areas than parmer and I say that as someone who lived one exit north of parmer

Parmer is a long road.

I made it from South Florida to Austin! I'm moved in but still waiting on my pod to be delivered with all my stuff.

Tonight I'm meeting some friends at Yard Bar. I think my pup is going to love it.

Timeaisis

Right off W Parmer and N Lamar. I'm really close to work and Walnut Creek which looks like it has some great trials for walking the dog and mountain biking.
Awesome. Pretty nice area. Walnut Creek is a pretty great park, too. I haven't done the bike trails yet (don't have a mtn bike...yet), but I want to. I live just a tad west of you off Parmer and Metric.

Anyway, welcome! :)

All you Austin people hanging out, and I'm just sittin here in Cedar Park. :(
If it makes you feel any better literally every one of my work friends lives in Cedar Park lol. The drive ain't too bad!
Also we really don't ever hang out in this thread

Except neshcom and I and the Austin GAFer of the month&#8482;

I'm just five minutes from Austin, 20 minutes from down town. Wished I lived closer to down town but oh well.

I live a mile or two off the north side of Anderson Lane. So Torchy's is within spittin distance!

neshcom

Banned
Hey, I'm still in the Cedar Park-ish area for another four weeks! And welcome Quote!

Ive got a really packed week coming up between shoots and Dragon Con, but I'm mostly stressed about having to pack up again and find a new place on the Expensive Side of town.

As Zoe said, Max's Wine Dive is alright. In fact, all 3 restaurants in that suite are solid choices.
  • Max's Wine Dive has the best fried chicken in the city
  • Mai Thai is way better than PF Chang's and has some delicious and authentic Thai food (I know the owners).
  • Piranha Killer Sushi is very white-folk/trendy sushi, but Chris (the head sushi chef) is actually really good at nigiri, the guy has crazy speed for his age. If you sit in front of him you'll get a really good meal.

Are you staying at the JW?

Yard Bar is pretty legit if you're looking for a drink while your pup plays.

I went to Walnut Creek with some friends and their dog. I'm used to county parks having fenced dog parks, but here they don't seem to really exist (though, my community has a nice one but always empty). However, they have "Off-Leash" areas at the parks and you can let your pup off the leash and walk whatever area behind those signs. In tonight's case they were trails, and I've never been comfortable unleashing my Chow so I brought a 30 ft leash. Well after about 15 mins of walking, my friend's dog was doing so well, and mine was sticking along without having to tug much so I let her off and she did amazing! I was worried she would try to chase a biker or another hiker because she isn't used to them, but she barely cared (or maybe a little scared) and moved right out of their path. Great weather around sundown too. I think i'm going to try and take her everyday and hopefully socialize her a bit and eventually take her places to eat that dogs are allowed.

Here she is with the dumbest face I've ever seen! Marzipan says "YAAAA TEXAS!"

B2x5D3o.png

If I read weird about my dog, here is a quick TL;DR. Chows are considered aggressive breed and exactly ZERO landlords would rent with a Chow in FL. I didn't know this when I got her and when I found out had to keep her hidden(ish). 4 years later, I moved to Austin where quite a few places have NO breed restrictions. More than anything else, I'm glad I can go to places with her like parks, let alone just going on a walk in my community so she can potty in the grass. Right before my transfer here, I was about to be homeless or jobless because of this, so its really hard to express how happy I am that all the puzzle pieces fell into place and that this is the lifestyle we can have now.

Okay, that'll be the last time i'll be gushy about this!

Her coat protects her from the heat like it does from the cold. You're not supposed to shave them because of that reason, though I think next year I might give her a lion cut by trimming a bit off. She is also really good at giving me signs that she is done, like pawing me.

Also, shorter walks and less walks during the day. It's very similar to Florida in that sense. On the other hand she will love the winters here I think.

Frenden

Banned
Austin has a lot of progressive animal law in no small part due to the influence of Austin Pets Alive. The latter helps keep Austin the largest no-kill city in the world.

Austin's a pretty good place to be a dog or cat. (I may be biased because my wife runs the cat half of APA :p).

That's awesome. I've never taken part in community efforts but I think that'll have to change.

Other news, I'm going to the Salt Lick this weekend, the one that is a a decent drive. I'm really excited for real BBQ.

Awesome. Pretty nice area. Walnut Creek is a pretty great park, too. I haven't done the bike trails yet (don't have a mtn bike...yet), but I want to. I live just a tad west of you off Parmer and Metric.

Anyway, welcome! :)

If it makes you feel any better literally every one of my work friends lives in Cedar Park lol. The drive ain't too bad!
Also we really don't ever hang out in this thread

Except neshcom and I and the Austin GAFer of the month™

I'm down for a meetup!

Zoe

Salt Lick is my favorite, but that's mainly because I'm not a big fan of barbecue in the first place. I go for the bread and sauce :lol

Frenden

Banned
Salt Lick is a good first BBQ here. You get to eat a lot/try different things and the BYOB atmosphere is good with a group.

I always take friends from out of town to Salt Lick before Franklins to give them a sense of how great Franklins is.

Top Bottom