• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia/Indonesia relations hit low point over drug executions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait. Are people actually defending the death penalty handed by a judiciary as famously corrupt and incompetent as Indonesia's?

Abbott's comments were impossibly shitty though. Jesus Christ, can't wait to kick this clown out.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
At same time they also execute the leader of those bombing. Is not like the executing every drug dealer in Indonesia.

Also one can argue drug kill and ruin more people in Indonesia than Bali bombing
Then spend money on rehab. Executing low level smugglers has no real impact on supply or demand. And most drug deaths are from prescription drugs.

Darren870

Then spend money on rehab. Executing low level smugglers has no real impact on supply or demand. And most drug deaths are from prescription drugs.

These aren't low lever smugglers. This involved a gang of 9 people with careful planning and execution. But in the end they got caught. There is a reason 7/9 will be in jail and these two got the death penalty.

Don't know if you are Australian, but drugs have been a pretty big problem in the cities. Their are plenty of people on ICE in the cities. It brings plenty of crime along with it too.

Phrynobatrachus

Neo Member
These aren't low lever smugglers. This involved a gang of 9 people with careful planning and execution. But in the end they got caught. There is a reason 7/9 will be in jail and these two got the death penalty.

Don't know if you are Australian, but drugs have been a pretty big problem in the cities. Their are plenty of people on ICE in the cities. It brings plenty of crime along with it too.

8 kg is NOT a lot in the grand scheme of drug pushing. A drop in the bucket. As for drug problems in general, I don't think executing people is going to solve anything at all. It certainly isn't going to reduce crime or treat addicts. But that's perhaps a topic for a different thread.

Qvoth

Do the Aussies not understand money talks or what? Just give the officials some money and they'll be out in a few hours

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

They're not hardened, violent criminal masterminds. The drugs are so cheap that it's attracting people you wouldn't typically associate with the drug trade.

I'm not saying that they should be free to smuggle drugs but the punishment does not fit the crime. At all. And I find it odd that the supplier was caught and released. I'm sure there's layers to this onion.

Jimrpg

The death penalty for drug mules is such a primitive law... These south East Asian countries really need to rethink the punishment that's more suitable for the crime. For these people they have no idea what they are getting themselves into. If anyone deserves the death penalty it's the drug lords themselves.

CrunchyB

They're not hardened, violent criminal masterminds. The drugs are so cheap that it's attracting people you wouldn't typically associate with the drug trade.

I'm not saying that they should be free to smuggle drugs but the punishment does not fit the crime. At all. And I find it odd that the supplier was caught and released. I'm sure there's layers to this onion.

The Dutch guy they executed apparently ran a meth lab. He probably wasn't the mastermind behind the whole operation but they pinned the whole thing on him and it became a show trial.

I can understand being tough on drugs, but executing low or mid-level criminals seems awfully excessive and not very effective.

Had no idea #boycottbali was a thing on Twitter. I know more than a few Aussies heading to Bali over the next few months, none seem concerned lol.

Those would be good arguments attacking the hypocrisy of the government itself. Instead Abbott chooses to attack aid which helps ordinary Indonesians. Aid the government doesn't give a shit about.

Abbott is a legitimate moron. Really pisses me off to see him say shit like this when you know everyone in his entourage are screaming internally at the stupidity on display.

Polari

8 kg is NOT a lot in the grand scheme of drug pushing. A drop in the bucket. As for drug problems in general, I don't think executing people is going to solve anything at all. It certainly isn't going to reduce crime or treat addicts. But that's perhaps a topic for a different thread.

Well it's a pretty strong deterrent against trafficking, so should in theory reduce supply = drugs less accessible = less addicts in the long run.

I'm not saying it's right but there is a logic to it.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Indonesia has already released every terrorist responsible for the Bali bombings which killed 92 Australians and does virtually nothing to stop human smugglers filling half broken boats full off asylum seekers and send them to Australia. It's hardly a one way issue.

Tony Abbott needs to learn when to shut the fuck up though.

Add to that that they also pay money to get Indonesian's off death row in other countries for drug crimes and murder.

Death penalty for drugs in going full retard.

Darklord

Banned
Culturally, it's basically the UK but bigger, with more wide-spread land. But no other western countries are as socially and/or poltically backwards as Australia, imo

America would be considered FAR more backwards and moving in that direction more every day.

Brazil and Netherlands already have recalled their ambassadors in Indonesia over drug executions of it's citizens.

So it's a set precedent, if Australia "get away" with letting off their citizens because they complained a lot, it would still look bad from a political point of view. So it's a bigger mess than just deciding one way or another.

Phrynobatrachus

Neo Member
Well it's a pretty strong deterrent against trafficking, so should in theory reduce supply = drugs less accessible = less addicts in the long run.

I'm not saying it's right but there is a logic to it.

There is no scientific consensus on whether the death penalty is an effective crime deterrent or not.

SmZA

Fears Tony Abbott has damaged Bali nine diplomacy

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has been leading what officials describe as a "massive" private and public diplomacy campaign to persuade Indonesian leaders to halt the execution of drug traffickers Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, convicted of trafficking heroin.
1424380971563.jpg

On Wednesday, however, Mr Abbott appeared to depart from the diplomatic script to promise an "absolutely unambiguous" response if the executions went ahead. Mr Abbott linked the threat to Australia's generous humanitarian aid program following the Aceh tsunami of a decade ago.

Mr Abbott's comments not only attracted a heated response from Jakarta but have also caused dismay at senior levels of the Australian government, including inside cabinet.

"It's awful," said a senior source, requesting anonymity.

"It undid a lot of the good work," said another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom