• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia offers to pay Rohingya refugees to return to Myanmar

Dead Man

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/19/australia-offers-pay-rohingya-refugees-return-myanmar
Australia is promising thousands of dollars to Rohingya refugees who agree to return to Myanmar, a country that has been accused of ethnic cleansing against the Muslim minority.

Asylum seekers in the Australian-run detention centre on Papua New Guinea’s Manus Island, have been pressured by officials to return to their home countries, even if they face violence.

Papua New Guinea’s supreme court last year ruled the centre for around 800 people breached human rights, was illegal and must close. Australia has since ratcheted up efforts to clear the centre, offering up to A$25,000 to refugees agreeing to go home.

Returning Rohingya to their country could put their lives at risk. Myanmar does not recognise the ethnic minority and has conducted military operations in Rohingya villages that the United Nations’ top human rights official branded “a textbook example of ethnic cleansing”.

Close to 400,000 Rohingya have fled to neighbouring Bangladesh, many with bullet wounds and stories of mass killings, as their villages burn.

So fucking ashamed of my government.

danm999

It's fine, they won't die at sea trying to reach Australia, we couldn't have that on our conscience.

Instead they can die on land back home.

daxy

Yeesh. The horror stories coming out of the Australian immigration/asylum system keep piling up. Does Australia get more applications than it can manage?

Well this is just fucking evil. The demonization of asylum seekers in Australian politics is an absolute disgrace, and I will be genuinely shocked when policies of cruelty are no longer the norm. It really just seems like not enough people give a shit, or people have convinced themselves that 'people smuggling' is such a scourge that these insane policies are somehow morally justified.

ibyea

Banned
Who is going to accept the cash when you are literally going to die?

This isn't even the least of the evil of the Australian government considering what happens in Nauru and Manus.

Jonnax

6th Largest Country, only 24 million people.

They also seem to produce a shit ton of those "illegal immigrant catching" and "border police" TV shows for shitty daytime TV.

Also a country that commited genocide against the indigenous but also a country famous for ignoring it.

They also seem to produce a shit ton of those "illegal immigrant catching" and "border police" TV shows for shitty daytime TV.

Also a country that commited genocide against the indigenous but also a country famous for ignoring it.

Yep. Also one of the biggest producers of carbon dioxide per capita.

Yeesh. The horror stories coming out of the Australian immigration/asylum system keep piling up. Does Australia get more applications than it can manage?

We elect our political leaders based on how much of a cunt they promise to be to the most vulnerable asylum seekers.

I'm not even joking, it's been this way since 2001.

Mr_Moogle

You realise most of Australia is uninhabitable desert right?

I'm not going to argue about the rest of it though. It's all very true. This country has a terrible record with immigration and human rights for indigenous people.

Yep. Also one of the biggest producers of carbon dioxide per capita.

Our state is trying it's hardest to push renewables but the federal government are a bunch conservative assholes who want to keep mining coal.

eizarus

Banned

Isn't their leader also very right wing? It's starting to sound like the more worse parts of Trump's US in the East.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
There's been a dark, ugly, cynical cloud over this country and a real nastiness to politics ever since Abbott was in power (earlier, really, children overboard was another low point). Miserable bunch of cunts in power. Fucking Liberal party. Meanwhile we're being asked to participate in and pay for a non binding opinion poll on same sex marriage. Where was the public consult for this one, Malcolm?

the world is failing these people.
Feels like the western world is falling apart without a strong leader to set an example. Even Obama could barely do the job thanks to Republicans basically threatening to torpedo any international efforts once they got into office. Right now it feels like half the world has about as much sense of direction as a headless chicken.

Bernbaum

duttonaaa.jpg

FUME5

What's worse is that their only real opposition has shown no desire to tackle them on immigration reform, because the people no longer seem to give a shit outside of the usual groups who campaign on behalf of refugees.

Fucked if I can see that changing either.

That's actually fucked up

to put it relatively

Not even the Trump administration has offered money to refugees to go back to syria

m3k

what a sack of unempathetic shits

lets put a banker/politician in charge of the country and see how social issues go... everything feels like a business transaction

Maximo

You would be surprised or I guess...not so surprised how little and I mean NOT AT ALL is reported in any Newspaper or on News channels about Refugees, out of sight out of mind to most aussies here even my extremely left leaning friends don't hear about these things often its simply not reported on sadly.

Top Bottom