• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia offers to pay Rohingya refugees to return to Myanmar

There's been a dark, ugly, cynical cloud over this country and a real nastiness to politics ever since Abbott was in power (earlier, really, children overboard was another low point). Miserable bunch of cunts in power. Fucking Liberal party. Meanwhile we're being asked to participate in and pay for a non binding opinion poll on same sex marriage. Where was the public consult for this one, Malcolm?

Its not just the Liberal party, Labor reopened offshore processing.

Its "politicians are cunts" in general, mainly because there is a huge bulk of Australians who are silently racist, hence the politicians will always pander to them as it keeps them in power.

Boy, Australia really is "America - Southern Hemisphere".

Yeah, but nah.

I'm a dark skinned Australian and I'm not scarred of police or gun violence. Tuition and healthcare are affordable too. Also, the social mobility in Australia is far greater than America.

DJKhaled

Yeesh. The horror stories coming out of the Australian immigration/asylum system keep piling up. Does Australia get more applications than it can manage?
No. We just have evil right wing lunatics in charge. I'm absolutely sick of this country and can't wait to leave.

Australians are just the most disgustingly racist people on the planet aren't they?

No. Are a lot racist? Yeah they are but let's not forget America voted in a guy calling Mexicans rapists. But you are being a judgemental dick.

No. We have universal healthcare. Not much gun violence. Police can be assholes but there's no fear of them shooting you unlike America. So no, we aren't comparable.

And I'm not defending Australia. I honestly can't wait to leave. But people saying this bullshit are wrong.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Its not just the Liberal party, Labor reopened offshore processing.

Its "politicians are cunts" in general, mainly because there is a huge bulk of Australians who are silently racist, hence the politicians will always pander to them as it keeps them in power.

Yeah, but nah.

I'm a dark skinned Australian and I'm not scarred of police or gun violence. Tuition and healthcare are affordable too. Also, the social mobility in Australia is far greater than America.
True. I think a picture of Dutton triggered me. Its a pretty miserable situation all around.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Australia is a racist country it's a country that was after all funded on racism and a form of racism i.e oppression of aboriginal people that still continues to this day. So their current refugee policy makes sense in this context.

That said it's not all bad - there was after all very powerful forms of resistance going back in 2016 last year with thousands of people mobilizing at Lady Cliento Hospital in Brisbane to prevent a refugee baby from being deported back to Naaru (off-shore detention centre etc).

Personally in response to this story, nothing surprises me about this goverment, and I've almost being completely desensitised to anything this goverment does regarding refugees.

Mr_Moogle

Worse still, we follow the US into all it's a shitty unnecessary wars. We went to Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq. One of these days we are going to pay the price for being the US's lapdogs.

Top Bottom