• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian doctors to face jail for reporting on refugee conditions under new laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

After a long string of failures, culminating in the United Nations finding systemic violations of torture conventions in Australian asylum seeker detention centres on Manus Island, the Australian government has finally arrived at a solution. Gag the doctors and the problem will go away.

Doctors and teachers working in immigration detention facilities could face up to two years in prison if they speak out against conditions in the centres or provide information to journalists, under sweeping new laws to gag whistleblowers.

The Border Force Act, which was passed quietly on May 14 by both major parties, clamps down on "entrusted people" in detention centres recording or disclosing information about conditions in centres such as those on Nauru and Manus Island.

Australian Medical Association president Brian Owler, said this was the first time doctors had been threatened with jail time for revealing inadequate conditions for their patients in immigration centres.

"Clearly if doctors are moved to speak out about issues then they should be able to do so," he said. "That's one of the responsibilities that most doctors feel they have.

"This puts most doctors in these circumstances in a very difficult situation if they have to face two years' imprisonment for speaking out, or be quiet and let people suffer. That's not appropriate."

Related news:
Australian doctors fear an 11-year-old refugee boy living in the community on Nauru could be permanently disabled if he does not receive urgent surgery on his arm.

Doctors for Refugees co-founder Dr Barri Phatarfod is concerned those resettled on the island are not getting access to appropriate medical care.

She cited the case of an Iranian boy who fractured his left arm on 4 May.

It is not known how the injury occurred, but his arm has been reset in a cast and the boy is still in severe pain.

A two-week window for surgery for this specific type of fracture had passed and, a month on, the International Health and Medical Services (IHMS) and Nauru doctors had still not decided whether to operate, Phatarfod said.

She said 11 Australian doctors, including an orthopaedic surgeon, a radiologist and an emergency physician familiar with the case, have all said surgery is required otherwise he will lose complete function of his arm.

Fusebox

Banned
Disgusting. Can't talk about the boats, can't talk about the refugees. Abbott is like some bastard lovechild of the Iraqi Information Minister and Voldemort.

Buzzman

Banned
J5vGn45.jpg

senahorse

Disgusted in Labor (I expect this from the Liberal government) for once again giving this the green light and blurring the lines between the two factions. Our current government has been horrible in these instances and with a spineless opposition (lol) there isn't much hope for this country in the future in these areas.

THRILLH0

Banned
Nope nope nope nope nope.

These are the lucky ones bruh. The rest are floating around in the middle of the fucking ocean.

ICKE

Banned
These are draconian measures but similar policies will most likely take place in Europe as refugees keep flooding in via the Mediterranean. There is speak of military intervention and bombing specific facilities within the North-African coast so that boats will not be able to leave.

The sentiment is rather similar here. Do what is necessary to stop the influx of people and minimize information related to these humanitarian disasters. The geopolitical situation in some parts of the world is quite sad but at the same time there is less and less political will to even engage in official development assistance - let alone helping people who are trying to cross borders.

Matty77

Silly humanity. Everytime we take one step forward as a species we somehow find another area/issue to take two steps back.

Australia is what happens when you let the Anglo-crazies have a country to experiment on.

Okay, that;s an exaggeration but stuff like this ain't helping.

Arksy

Someone should start a kickstarter, leak something decent enough to get charged, and then take it to the high court.

I don't think anyone is willing to go to jail to satisfy my legal curiosity. :(

Australia is what happens when you let the Anglo-crazies have a country to experiment on.

Okay, that;s an exaggeration but stuff like this ain't helping.

Yes, what an awful country we have. We're only ranked near the top of nearly every positive list ever.

Jesus Australia, your government and mine (Canadian) could not be more similar. Scientists saying something the government doesn't like, make it illegal to do so!

Yagharek

And people will still vote to continue human rights abuses.

This is the Stolen Generation, White Australia, institutional abuse and the Milgram Experiment all rolled up into one.

Laekon

You don't have a constitution or some other document that protects free speech? It's not like this falls under military or national security so there is no way this type of law should be able to stand.

Dryk

what are they thinking? they just want people to die in the refugee camps?
I'm not sure. They'd definitely prefer they stay at home and die there, and they definitely don't want them dying in transit to Australia (from is fine though) because the rhetoric that helps their base sleep at night is that this is saving people from drowning in the long term.

dejay

Banned
I predict the numbers of pro bono lawyers fighting any charges laid against doctors and teachers would be quite large and they won't be quiet about it. Not the attention the government will want I feel.

Fuck this for a fucked up shitty move.

JC Sera

m3k

So angry about this ... Fuckin labour passed this to avoid being implicated ... They're all fucked

I feel like writing a letter of protest against this shit .. Dont think it will amount to much but normally I could count on labour to be against this sort of thing

Dryk

D: D: D: D: D: D: Seriously?! Even Labour?!
You can always count on Labor to support national security measures. Whether they actually believe in it or are just doing it so they don't look weak is something I've never been able to figure out, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

ibyea

Banned
You can always count on Labor to support national security measures. Whether they actually believe in it or are just doing it so they don't look weak is something I've never been able to figure out, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

Shouldn't be surprised. Here in the US the Democrats are just as spineless.

Voters in this country are like elastic bands.
Abbott was deeply unpopular 6 months ago, but when he hunkers down and plays it safe his numbers spring back up again.

He could drown a litter of kittens, so long as he kept quiet for a while he would be forgiven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom