• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian doctors to face jail for reporting on refugee conditions under new laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakura

You don't have a constitution or some other document that protects free speech? It's not like this falls under military or national security so there is no way this type of law should be able to stand.

Lots of countries have "free speech" or "freedom of expression" with the caveat that it is allowed to be limited by law. You can say whatever you want, unless the government says otherwise, kind of defeats the purpose of having freedom of expression enshrined in your constitution in my opinion. Though I'm not aware on how Australian law regards freedom of expression, I imagine it is a similar case.

Dead Man

Labor are only pragmatic humanitarians. If it costs them votes their principles evaporate.

Yep. Try telling that to the majority of their voters though. I've got friends that refuse to vote anything but Labor even though they hate 3/4 of the shite they do, and complain they are too right wing and corporatist. And yet the never vote for anyone else.

ibyea

Banned
Yep. Try telling that to the majority of their voters though. I've got friends that refuse to vote anything but Labor even though they hate 3/4 of the shite they do, and complain they are too right wing and corporatist. And yet the never vote for anyone else.

Doesn't Australia have these preference voting system where you can do 2nd place votes and stuff? I am pretty sure they can afford to vote third party without helping the greater evil.

Dead Man

Doesn't Australia have these preference voting system where you can do 2nd place votes and stuff? I am pretty sure they can afford to vote third party without helping the greater evil.

Indeed. But it doesn't even get that far, they are not worried about splitting the left vote, they just don't consider voting for anyone else.

wonzo

Banned
ur friend sounds like the typical labor left hack type, eternally struck with stockholm syndrome and a laughable hatred of ~the greenies~

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Revolting and shameful, though nothing surprises me under this government anymore. I really don't think there is any way I could despise Tony Abbott any more than I already do, but every time that fuckwit appears he finds a new way.

As the husband of a GP in Australia I find this fucking funny. And try to send a Doctor down for this. Won't fucking happen. Doctors have some of the best legal cover going and they'd love to get their teeth into a story that basically goes 'Government arrested Doctor for looking after patient'. The fact it goes against the basic tenants of medicine which is 'Do no harm' is just fucking comedy.

Indeed. But it doesn't even get that far, they are not worried about splitting the left vote, they just don't consider voting for anyone else.
I voted Labor at the last election for this reason, but goddamn it, never again. I'm voting for who I truly believe deserves it next time.

Both major parties are disgraceful on this issue.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'll actually be eligible to vote for the next round of Australian elections, having just voted in the UK ones. My dual-wielding skills should make short work of this Tony fellow.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All they want is the right to abuse human beings and laws to protect them from being exposed. Is that too much to ask?

Dryk

I voted Labor at the last election for this reason, but goddamn it, never again. I'm voting for who I truly believe deserves it next time.

It's so easy to vote for who you want and make sure the Labor/Liberal gets the vote in the end above the other here. I wish more people considered it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'll actually be eligible to vote for the next round of Australian elections, having just voted in the UK ones. My dual-wielding skills should make short work of this Tony fellow.

Use a plasma pistol charge shot followed by an smg spray to his face.

It's so easy to vote for who you want and make sure the Labor/Liberal gets the vote in the end above the other here. I wish more people considered it.
Yes, I know that now. I was just worried of screwing it up and making my vote worthless last time.

Having said that, in my electorate there's little chance of anyone but the Liberal candidate winning anyway, which is a bit depressing.

elfinke

While there is no excusing this, nor is there any empathy for those two cunts Scott Morrison and Peter Dutton, there is hope in that this law cannot possibly override the Public Interest Disclosure Act, at least in so far as people acting as whistleblowers about 'maladministration'. I guess it would have to be tried in front of court whether the PIDA also covers Drs talking about health and other conditions.

That would be an interesting case to follow, but I hope, for my own sanity, that it won't come to that.

Between this law, the Amnesty International report into indigenous imprisonment in the NT and the controversy over Adam Goodes, I've just about given up on the general voting population of this great place.

Fucking christ.

I'd blame the public for allowing us to get to this point but the fear mongering during the last round of elections was fucking disgusting.

No we're not facing a crisis fuck heads

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I'd blame the public for allowing us to get to this point but the fear mongering during the last round of elections was fucking disgusting.

No we're not facing a crisis fuck heads

Yes we are... we are all gonna die
If that is not a crisis nothing is.

=p

Ok that's despicable but how does the government justify this as a positive change for Australia? What's the deep rooted reasoning or belief for such actions?

shootfast

So, how long until they start outright sinking refugee boats mid ocean?

It was because refugee boats were sinking mid ocean that we went back to Nauru. There has been over 1000 refugee deaths at sea before we went back to the pacific solution. http://theconversation.com/factcheck-did-1200-refugees-die-at-sea-under-labor-38094

Anyway bill shorten actually put it bluntly as to why there won't any change in policies for refugees "But I cannot also lie to myself, and I will not live in an intellectually dishonest world where I say that if we have policies which drag people here to hop on unsafe boats and drown at sea, well I'm not going to be party to that either."

"How do I ask people to fish people out of the sea, and not be prepared to deal with the policy consequences of it?" http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...olicy-and-boat-turnbacks-20150505-1na6d0.html

It was because refugee boats were sinking mid ocean that we went back to Nauru. There has been over 1000 refugee deaths at sea before we went back to the pacific solution. http://theconversation.com/factcheck-did-1200-refugees-die-at-sea-under-labor-38094

Anyway bill shorten actually put it bluntly as to why there won't any change in policies for refugees "But I cannot also lie to myself, and I will not live in an intellectually dishonest world where I say that if we have policies which drag people here to hop on unsafe boats and drown at sea, well I'm not going to be party to that either."

"How do I ask people to fish people out of the sea, and not be prepared to deal with the policy consequences of it?" http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...olicy-and-boat-turnbacks-20150505-1na6d0.html

Any evidence this has actually reduced people drowning at sea? I didn't see any evidence it would before the pacific solution and I haven't seen any since.

That doesn't really show that asylum seeker deaths have decreased at all.

At best all this government might be able to say is that less people are drowning in our waters (although even that is pretty unclear), but to pretend that this is stopping refugee movement across waters or that this has somehow decreased deaths overall is just logically not terribly sound on the part of the government and the opposition. This has bugger all to do with saving people.

shootfast

That doesn't really show that asylum seeker deaths have decreased at all.

At best all this government might be able to say is that less people are drowning in our waters (although even that is pretty unclear), but to pretend that this is stopping refugee movement across waters or that this has somehow decreased deaths overall is just logically not terribly sound on the part of the government and the opposition. This has bugger all to do with saving people.

Around 1100 deaths in six years without pacific solution averages at around 183 per year, vs present deaths around 31 deaths since operation sovereign border began two years ago as indicated by the abc article. To save people you increase refugee intake, Australia takes 1000:1 population to refugee vs condescending previous poster mujun's country of Japan 50000:1

Around 1100 deaths in six years without pacific solution averages at around 183 per year, vs present deaths around 31 deaths since operation sovereign border began two years ago as indicated by the abc article. To save people you increase refugee intake, Australia takes 1000:1 population to refugee vs condescending previous poster mujun's country of Japan 50000:1

True, it would help reduce drownings in our seas if we increased intake and processed people faster so that they didn't need to get on boats.

Japan takes bugger all refugees but they do provide a lot in aid.

Again though, 31 deaths.. in Australian waters? Who is to say that these people aren't just drowning after being towed back, or drowning going to indonesia or NZ instead?

shootfast

True, it would help reduce drownings in our seas if we increased intake and processed people faster so that they didn't need to get on boats.

Japan takes bugger all refugees but they do provide a lot in aid.

Again though, 31 deaths.. in Australian waters? Who is to say that these people aren't just drowning after being towed back, or drowning going to indonesia or NZ instead?

It was in Indonesian waters off java as indicated by the abc log, but since destination was Australia it counts. Tow backs use a gps remote guided life boat to send them back which is quite safe. As to drowning going to indonesia, before the Burmese refugee crisis they would get to Indonesia by plane.

At the moment every country around Burma is playing ping pong with refugees, at this rate we would not need to worry about them suffering in Nauru cause they will die in burma under apartheid conditions, die to evil human traffickers who use them as slaves in border camps till they are paid, die enroute at sea to destination because no country will let them enter and some of those criticized us for our refugee policies before like hypocrites or reach their destination which is Malaysia.

Anyway if you want anything to do with operation sovereign borders from arrivals, turn backs and deaths just go back to the abc log, they update it regularly and I'll leave it to the abc to determine whether a death at sea is related to Australia. Because there a lot of deaths at sea, take the Mediterranean at the moment.

mujun

I didn't realize that!

Thanks for letting me know, I'm totally going to move back now as the ratio of population to refugee is the sole thing I was basing my decision on.

Dead Man

ur friend sounds like the typical labor left hack type, eternally struck with stockholm syndrome and a laughable hatred of ~the greenies~
If only it was only one friend. A couple have started to look elsewhere though, which is nice.
You should start your own political party. You could call it, "fuck it", or "the furious party".

I'd vote for you.
:) You can have party member number 1.

Glad to hear it, and yeah, both majors are terrible on this front, authoritarian wankers.

Dead Man

They are still dying, just somewhere else.

To save people you increase foreign aid, you process claims quickly (days in many countries versus YEARS in Australia) and safely (ensuring they don't get sexually abused for instance, thanks Morrison), you negotiate with neighbouring countries, you do all sorts of shit. What you don't do is imprison people at sea, detain children for years, send gay, lesbian, and bisexual people back to countries where gay people are imprisoned or executed, cover up abuse and deaths in custody. It's not fucking complicated.

img_0609.png

Edit: Gah, double post.

wonzo

Banned
relevant:

Nauru guards were spying on Sarah Hanson-Young, Senate inquiry told

Guards at the Nauru detention centre conducted sweeping surveillance of Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young to monitor her movements on the island, a former employee has alleged.

In an extraordinary submission to a Senate inquiry into serious allegations of abuse and conditions at the Australian-run Nauru detention centre, a former employee subcontracted to security provider Wilson Security accused the company of engaging in serious misconduct.

When asked about the allegations on Friday, Tony Abbott said he believed Hanson-Young was being “looked after”, and rejected the allegations of spying.

The employee raises serious allegations about the security company, including about staff fabricating military backgrounds to gain employment, discrimination against Australian guards and evidence of planned uses of excessive force against asylum seekers.

The submission also contains a disturbing account of Wilson Security guards being tasked to conduct surveillance of Hanson-Young during a recent visit to the island.

“When Senator Sarah Hanson-Young visited Nauru, Wilson Security organised a team from ERT [emergency response team] to spy on her while she was on Nauru. This included following her around the island while she was outside of the OPCs [offshore processing centres] and setting up an observation post to watch her room at the Menen hotel,” it says.

The call sign used by the guards to identify Hanson-Young in their surveillance was “raven”, according to the former employee.

bVzsYw3.jpg

fizzik

Banned
I'd love for a radical to get into a position of authority, drag these Fucking animals in front of a court and throw them all in prison for 30 years. My country is a God Damn embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom