• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2017 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a nice interview, got to love the mix between extremely emotional crying like crazy and then 1 second later angrily complaining about the court lol.

MIMIC

Banned
Haven't been able to see much of the tournament this time around. Cannot believe that Venus is so close to a slam final. She'd probably get thumped by Serena, but it's crazy that she's doing so well again.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Might be wrong, but assuming Serena wins, this will be the first time three players from the same country all made the semis since the 2004 French Open (Nalbandian, Gaudio, Coria). For women it was the 2002 US Open (Serena, Venus, Davenport).

JBwB

Yea but how many times have they played in the last few years, under the lights, on the courts of the Australian open which aren't conventional hardcourts, not made out of cement, but something else that makes them slower and bouncier.

These aren't the American hardcourts. Honestly, I haven't watched enough of either this year to have a great instinct. But if it's in the evening and slow, Stan could potentially really hit through Fed, like he did at the French. Guess it also depends on how well Fed has been serving throughout the tournament. But the slower it is, the less effective and more error prone it is.

As noted by Roger himself, RLA's court speed (might as well include the other arenas as well) this year is noticeably a lot faster than it was in previous years.

There were a lot of upsets in this tournament. Most notably against those who thrive on slower courts. Aggressive players seem to be thriving here.

Might be wrong, but assuming Serena wins, this will be the first time three players from the same country all made the semis since the 2004 French Open (Nalbandian, Gaudio, Coria). For women it was the 2002 US Open (Serena, Venus, Davenport).

Not bad considering the US #3 and #4 didn't play in the Aussie open due to injury. CoCo is the US #5 ranked player

Niraj

Can Fed beat Stan?

I know Fed obviously has the superior match up record, but how has it been in recent years?

If you just take it from 2014 (Stan's first slam), Fed is 5-2. Both losses are on clay (Monte Carlo, French Open). They had a pretty tight one at the WTF in 2014 (third set tiebreak), Wimbledon was also pretty tight (Stan won the first set, second set was a tiebreak, last two were 6-4), but Roger won pretty easily in their last two matches at the WTF and the US Open in 2015.

Ricker

Really thought Konta had a chance the way she was playing since the start of the year...

Raonic/Nadal at 3:30 in the morning lol...guess I will find out Raonic won when I wake up about 3 hours later.(or it might still be going) :p ;)

T-0800

Really thought Konta had a chance the way she was playing since the start of the year...

Raonic/Nadal at 3:30 in the morning lol...guess I will find out Raonic won when I wake up about 3 hours later.(or it might still be going) :p ;)

7pm for me.

jett

D-Member
The 9th ranked British player I'm sure was happy to see Zverev lose to Fed

Lloyd Glasspool
‏@LloydGlasspool
Why does Andy have to lose to mischa sverev. Anyone but him. Come on Andy your so much better than that.

Lloyd is dating Heather Watson so....maybe Zverev tried to steal his girl or something? Everyone has haters on tour

People keep track of that?

His ATP ranking: 364

Guess Andy Murray should help train some of his countrymen.

JBwB

This Nadal / Raonic match... I literally have no guess on who will win.

Going to be a very interesting match for sure.

Niraj

I think if Raonic wins he has to take the first set.

I like Dimitrov to make it through this match. If he plays Raonic, I think he might just make the final.

As noted by Roger himself, RLA's court speed (might as well include the other arenas as well) this year is noticeably a lot faster than it was in previous years.

There were a lot of upsets in this tournament. Most notably against those who thrive on slower courts. Aggressive players seem to be thriving here.

This is true. I chalked those upsets up to the day time temperatures that makes it faster, but I didn't know Fed said that, and yea, they do change the speeds from year to year. Quite easy to make it faster with lighter less fluffy balls, or changes to the surface.

Well the faster, the better for Fed, that is for sure.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If Nadal wins this, I think he'll win the whole thing. But this is a tough challenge, he's probably the worst returner left in the draw right now. Going to be a very long match, methinks.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
7h match HERE WE GO

Don't know about long time-wise - I expect lots of aces, unreturned serves, and short points. I mean more in the sense of lots of 7-6 and 7-5 sets.

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know about long time-wise - I expect lots of aces, unreturned serves, and short points. I mean more in the sense of lots of 7-6 and 7-5 sets.

Or not, if Nadal plays like that.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Without the injuries Nadal would be on 20 Slams by now.

Without the injuries he'd be on 0 Slams by now. He gets these injuries as a result of his playstyle, his playstyle is what allows him to win Slams. Can't have one without the other.

noshten

I hope Dimitrov beats either Raonic or Rafa. I think he has a chance - his path to the semis is likely the easiest and he has not played a grueling match yet. I think there is a sense of belief in Dimitrov's game that he used to be lacking - hopefully he doesn't choke on the big stage.

Kensuke

Raonic gifted this set and probably the whole match now. That set was his to lose. The blow of this will be too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom