• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2017 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all should be ashamed of ourselves.
We let this happen. We were so distracted with bel18ving that we forgot to f15r.

2017 ain't a lick better than 2016.

See you at the French Open.

jett

D-Member
I woke up early to watch this shit and it's already over? lol

You know that tennis has hit a low when you put your hopes in a player like Raonic to beat Nadal. I mean, if Murray being #1 is not enough.

We're about to get a Fedal grand slam final after literally years, and tennis has hit a new low? Nah bruh, the only thing hitting a new low are the people rooting against it.

clemenx

Banned
I have not seen him here but he was playing at a great level in Brisbane where he won. Maybe he's found it but after the couple of years of disappointments I guess no one is ready to believe in him just yet.

Diamond

Rafa back in form it seems. It also means Zverev (Sascha) could have gone really far had he won their close encounter.

3 setters all around for the QFs, I hope the semies deliver. It's been a very fun tournament so far, would be a shame to have a lackluster second week.

I don't consider Dimitrov to be the new guard as much as Zverev, Thiem, Fritz, and Kygrios. I think those guys will be better despite this result, I dunno, could be completely wrong.

THose guys are still young, but I was expecting them to come out strong. I think Kygrios will be another Monfils type player.

It crazy to think that even if you imagine them more polished and better, you still can't imagine them actually being on the level of the the prime big 4. The new guard is just time.

Surely even as a Federer fan you must be a bit excited to see a Federer v Nadal final. Are the complaints about Nadal based on anything other than fear of him reaching 17 slams?

Also let's not forget that neither Fed or Nadal are in the final yet. Stan is no walkover and Nadal has lost to much worse players than dimitrov on hard courts.

Nadal has been great fun to watch this tournament and as much as I want Fed to win it's great seeing Nadal back

Surely even as a Federer fan you must be a bit excited to see a Federer v Nadal final. Are the complaints about Nadal based on anything other than fear of him reaching 17 slams?

Also let's not forget that neither Fed or Nadal are in the final yet. Stan is no walkover and Nadal has lost to much worse players than dimitrov on hard courts.

Nadal has been great fun to watch this tournament and as much as I want Fed to win it's great seeing Nadal back

Nadal pretty much beats anyone with single handed backhand, righty. These conditions, I dunno. They look decent for Nadal. On some hardcourts Fed has destroyed Nadal, but this aint like that at all.

Fed vs Nadal will be great.

Fed wins in front of Nadals girlfriend, her first time in Australia = great

Nadal wins, Fed will cry again ala 2009 = great

win-win

Dimitrov vs Wawrinka final will be a let down in comparison

I think I would actually make Federer favourite in a final against Nadal. I don't think Nadal's head-to-head records count for much these days, he's too up and down.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Rafa back in form it seems. It also means Zverev (Sascha) could have gone really far had he won their close encounter.

3 setters all around for the QFs, I hope the semies deliver. It's been a very fun tournament so far, would be a shame to have a lackluster second week.

Younger Zverev will be top ten by the end of this year. He's better than Thiem, who managed to get to no.7 by... some sort of dark magic???

JBwB

It would be incredibly interesting to see whether Federer can beat Nadal nowadays. Physically he's clearly ready but mentally? Those past losses are probably still eating at him.

I'll be rooting for him in the finals if he manages to beat Wawrinka in the SF (which seems likely).

I think across more sports you're going to see athletes competing at the top for longer these days. They're all much fitter, take better care of themselves and have teams around them compared to previous generations.

Ricker

I think across more sports you're going to see athletes competing at the top for longer these days. They're all much fitter, take better care of themselves and have teams around them compared to previous generations.

Yep...did you guys see how much Lucic-Baroni is taped up...she wouldnt even be playing if this was like 20 years ago... ;P

Geez Raonic... he really can't beat the Top 4 can he? There was the Wimbledon semi he won against Federer but the latter was injured and coming off a 5-setter.

I think I would actually make Federer favourite in a final against Nadal. I don't think Nadal's head-to-head records count for much these days, he's too up and down.

He's not that down at the moment, and he's just a stylistic nightmare for Fed. Always playing into his backhand with a lot of spin. Just that repeating dynamic they both know is going to happen and Nadal will win them. Conditions might suit Fed enough, but I doubt it. If its a Fed Nadal final, I might put money on Nadal if the odds are right.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i think fed has shown that he can beat nadal on hard courts. with him i think its more mental than not being able to physically deal with the backhand side.

MarveI

I feel like people are sleeping on Dimitrov and Stan here already thinking about a Fedal final. My gut feeling says we're going to see a Dimitrov-Stan final. Nadal hasn't played that well aside of Raonic match and Raonic wasn't 100% there so that could cloud our judgement and Dimitrov is goating it this year, undefeated. Fed has a better chance to reach the final (good matchup vs Stan and Dimi). The worst case scenario is a Dimitrov-Fed final.

Is no one watching CoCo and Venus? BTW reporters smh

C2_rcUnXUAA4Cad.jpg

I haven't seen Venus play this well in years. Didn't know she was still capable of playing at this level.

Based on that exchange, I'm not sold on Gibbs assumption that Coco supports Trump. Based on Coco's tweet, she was hoping Trump would get beat badly so the GOP would reform. I would guess she is a republican but wasn't a trump supporter based on that exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom