• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austria bans the burqa

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pope

Good. Bad ideas are bad ideas. I dont care how many people believe in it. Sorry guys Harris, Hitchens and Maher have really poisened me against Islam in paticular.

KAL2006

Banned
My cousin wears a burqa. She does it cause she wants to not because she is forced.

She hasn't got a criminal record or hasn't used a burqa to commit crimes in her life.

I can see why a fellow British civilian doesn't like her wearing a burqa but she does no harm. Luckily she has now moved to a Asian populated town so it's not a big deal anymore.

Koren

Force? isn't prohibiting someone from wearing a thing under punishment of law considered force?
Well, there's already rules... You're not supposed to be allowed to go into the streets naked, for example. Is it a loss of personal rights?

How about this, we give each individual legal authority over their own body. Whatever they want to do with their own body is up to them, but they don't get authority over anyone else's body but their own.
Because it's totally impossible to enforce?

KAL2006

Banned
Hmm looks like some of you Gaffers must have got robbed or assaulted by someone in a burqa

I don't give a shit if someone wears a turkey on their head for all I care.

If people are concerned about oppression I think there are other ways about it.

Won

Update? kind of...
there's been a demo today organised by a few muslim- and a left-leaning group
(for pics see the article)
http://derstandard.at/2000052109217/Demo-gegen-Kopftuchverbot-in-Wien

The thing I don't really get, is that they apparently protest a "Kopftuchverbot" (face veil) when the ban is about the burka? Either I'm missing something here, or they are.

Well, with the whole "no religious symbols on police and judges" thing there is at least one more step coming up and with a protest you want to show you are not okay in what direction things are going. With the attention the ban got, now is probably the best time to run a demo on that topic.

Besides that people in Vienna really like to demonstrate.

FYI the vast majority of Muslims don't believe burqa/niqap is mandatory.

It's pretty much a Salafi/Wahhabi thing.

Pretty much. I come from Morocco and the sight of this thing raises most people' eyebrows, so one can only imagine the reaction it triggers from western crowds. It is aesthetically unappealing, ideologically charged and could potentially present some safety issues. I firmly believe that people's faces should be visible in a public space; It strikes me as impolite, if not uncivilized, to walk around as an unidentifiable mass.

It's always funny reading these threads. Purely anecdotal of course but 2 years ago I was talking to a Muslim girl in my 6 form and she said when she gets to the age of like 23/24 she's going to start wearing a Burkha because she wants to. She said her family were totally cool with her wearing a hijab but it's something she wanted to do. Seems like Gaf has some deeper insight into female muslims heads.

If it's a security thing then ban all items of clothing covering the face not just the burka

typist

What school made you cover up your entire face and body whenever you're in public.

My entire body, save my hands -- this was just a regular Catholic school uniform in the south of England. Fortunately my face was not heavily regulated in the same way. Although 'long' hair (I think the specification was past the collar) was forbidden for boys for some reason (probably what St Paul said about long hair being disgraceful on men), in addition to piercings and 'provocative' hair styles. If we forbid Muslims from enforcing dress codes, I think we ought to forbid Catholic dress codes as well

Pretty much. I come from Morocco and the sight of this thing raises most people' eyebrows, so one can only imagine the reaction it triggers from western crowds. It is aesthetically unappealing, ideologically charged and could potentially present some safety issues. I firmly believe that people's faces should be visible in a public space; It strikes me as impolite, if not uncivilized, to walk around as an unidentifiable mass.

In Turkey they are nicknamed beetles.

It's always funny reading these threads. Purely anecdotal of course but 2 years ago I was talking to a Muslim girl in my 6 form and she said when she gets to the age of like 23/24 she's going to start wearing a Burkha because she wants to. She said her family were totally cool with her wearing a hijab but it's something she wanted to do. Seems like Gaf has some deeper insight into female muslims heads.

If it's a security thing then ban all items of clothing covering the face not just the burka

There is a movement of young Muslim women embracing tradition in myriad ways. There's been a bit of scholarship about it; my office mate follows it and keeps me updated. It's fascinating. It's also what makes me hesitate here. Are they pushing back against things like this? Is it freedom in being covered?
Is it enough to offset the women being forced? Will this help/benefit anyone at all? I really don't know.

I don't think it's normal for a 23 year old to want to cover herself with a black cloth, she should be enjoying herself in a different way but what do I know.

Normal by what measure? What's normal? Sometimes young women become nuns. That's a thing. Who cares?

kpaadet

Hmm looks like some of you Gaffers must have got robbed or assaulted by someone in a burqa

I don't give a shit if someone wears a turkey on their head for all I care.

If people are concerned about oppression I think there are other ways about it.

It is illegal to cover your face completely in most countries, why should the burqa get a free pass?

Koren

Seems like Gaf has some deeper insight into female muslims heads.
Well, I'm ready to believe that a majority of women that wear Burqa do it by a personnal choice. I frankly have no idea of the percentage of people that are forced to wear it, but I'm sure plently wear it as a free, personal choice.

The problem isn't there. The problem is that free, personal choice can still be a result of behaviour of people around you, customs, culture, society.

I don't buy the idea that "my family don't like it" proves anything... In fact, a lot of young people act against their parents, and that argument can work both ways.

Now, protecting people against themselves is a hard thing. Who decide which is good or bad? I don't have an idea... That's the reason it's such a difficult question.

On a different, but related, matter, I'm not sure I support free euthanasia (for non-sick people and similar situations, I mean). I'm pretty sure that, if it's freely allowed, plently of old people will ask for it, *willingly*, but under a (possibly inconcious) feeling that they're a burden for the society.

Well, that's the case in several places. It's a separate problem, though.

Dalibor68

Banned
Sorry for bumping but since I'm from Austria and was away during the main discussion I feel like I have to clarify the new policy, as it has been completely misinterpreted/posted incorrectly.

1) Full veil covering (as in stuff that covers your face, for example both Burqa AND Niqab) is banned, no matter what religion its from. It's not a "burqa ban", it's a full-veil ban (which in practice of course has most effect on women wearing niqabs, of which there are many more than burqas)

2) Religious clothing(hijabs, but also kippas, big visible cross necklaces etc) for three government jobs(judge, state prosecutor and police) has also been banned, again not based on a specific religion. Judges and prosecutors would already be prohibited due to court clothing rules, so that's just like confirming the status quo. The police ban is the only really new thing but in practice I think it's also not relevant (yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom