• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I hardly ever see any other NA's out here. There's another red one that I see regularly, but that's it. Closer to Phoenix I have some friends with NAs, though.

Also, to dude getting a Mustang- make sure you get the 5.0 or you will always regret not getting one fitted with that motor. Coyote is a magical engine that makes me excited in my pants.
I'm not getting a 5.0. The price difference is too huge unfortunately.

Oh man, my S15 Silvia has cleared customs in BC. It's about to make it's trek across Canada to my importer in Toronto. It's been a rather long and drawn out process, but the years I've been waiting for it to be legal are about to come to a close...

It should arrive sometime next week!

Oh man, my S15 Silvia has cleared customs in BC. It's about to make it's trek across Canada to my importer in Toronto. It's been a rather long and drawn out process, but the years I've been waiting for it to be legal are about to come to a close...

It should arrive sometime next week!

Oooh, pics when it arrives!

I'm having some heat soak issues with my starter on the S2000, as there are only a few millimeters of clearance between it and the collector tube for the headers off the passenger-side bank. Time to order a couple sheets of Zircoflex III. Got her mostly cleaned up this weekend and will probably hit the hard top with a coat of primer next weekend if it's not too humid down here. SO EXCITE

jxYE5ls.jpg

06HBsP3.jpg

Viperbah

I'm having some heat soak issues with my starter on the S2000, as there are only a few millimeters of clearance between it and the collector tube for the headers off the passenger-side bank. Time to order a couple sheets of Zircoflex III. Got her mostly cleaned up this weekend and will probably hit the hard top with a coat of primer next weekend if it's not too humid down here. SO EXCITE

Nice ride.....turbo Ls1?

ruxtpin

Banned
Question about auto actions like Barrett Jackson. Anyone here ever participated in one?

I'm curious about what kind of money you have to have to participate; do I need the cash in hand/bank, or could I go to the auction pre-approved for a loan (and whatever extra cash I have), and be able to bid on whatever my loan + cash would allow?

lem0n

That's... not an F20c

Viperbah

It looks like you were right, that is a turbo, just that the turbo isn't inside the engine bay :))
That should be a bit laggy, right?

haha...I thought you were kidding...sorry that probably came off like I was being a dick.

ehh maybe...I am not the turbo expert but I think in general the farther the turbo is from the intake the more lag. Modern turbos are pretty good about improving that though

ShowDog

Let's hear more about this s2000 of yours

Oh, I'll be taking a bunch once it's finally made it's way home.

And did you heat treat (coating) your headers, since the clearance is tight in your engine bay? There was a LSx S2K that I happened to get a ride in, during a local meet. That thing was stupid fast already. I would like to see thing boosted LSx in action for sure!!!

TCRS

Banned
New Land Rover Discovery (LR4) concept:

P1000172.JPG

more pics:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/15/land-rover-discovery-vision-concept-new-york-2014/

Land Rover pls. the disco is supposed to be a half luxury/half utilitarian off road vehicle. Its boxy design is its trademark and it's what made the disco so practical. Now they want to go down the Range Rover route with that ugly round design. And those small windows, yikes. The current Disco has very large windows which is one of its features.

Wrong direction imo.

There is no turbo there unless he magically made one fit under the left fender, but it does look like a LS motor.

It's remotely mounted back near the differential due to the lack of real estate in the engine bay. It's a single Turbonetics T76, rather small for the LS2 which has been stroked to 6.6l--you'd normally find turbos of that size in pairs on an engine like this one. That helps alleviate a bit of the "lag" you'd expect in such a setup where there's more volume to deal with between the compressor and the intake--the turbo spools right around 3k rpm. I say "lag" because the engine makes loads of torque before boost, and it's not a peaky setup at all--very flat torque curve, very predictable power delivery. The torque is literally everywhere. Put your foot in it at any rpm in any gear and it moves when it's actually getting traction.

And did you heat treat (coating) your headers, since the clearance is tight in your engine bay?
Nah--this was by all means a budget build. I imagined there would be some heat issues in the bay as it is now with the stock bumper and hood, but with more ventilation I figured it'd be fine. I couldn't not drive the thing, though, and stupidly did so on public roads around here, which led to the starter overheating (and even with more bay ventilation, I think the zircoflex material will be absolutely necessary). Luckily a fellow car guy was refueling at the same gas station where I'd become stranded, so it took no persuasion to get it push-started. :)

Let's hear more about this s2000 of yours
Post a pic like that and no further explanation? Come on.
From the first page of this thread where I orginally posted about it:
"I finally picked up my S2000 from a great shop upstate where it has been undergoing surgery for some time now. Drove it home 178 miles and it now sits in my garage awaiting bigger brakes, more rubber, and a thorough suspension overhaul... while I work my life away to save the $$$ to do so. I'll be pulling the fenders and attaching flares soon so I can figure out the maximum widths and proper offsets I'll need for my future wheels and thus how much meat I can reasonably fit underneath it without resorting to chopping up the wheel wells. This will be my dedicated track car for the foreseeable future--mostly for Time Attack/NASA TTx purposes. I'm afraid it'll be lumped into the TTU class when it's all said and done, where it may not exactly be competitive, but we'll see how much weight I can knock off and how much aero I can tack on before the necessary spring rates make it a skateboard. Whichever class it makes, whether I can put it in the top half of the timesheets or not, it'll be my own personal heaven. Even with the boost controller dialed all the way back and running a 93-octane tune, it's fucking scary. Granted, that was on these old, cold, 255mm Star Spec Z1s... can't wait to see what it can do with appropriate tires. I am so elated."

I'll be cutting my teeth on homemade aero for this car in terms of the splitter, canards, diffuser, and undertray; also hoping to get my hands on a Kognition wing soon. It'll be a lifelong project so long as I don't put it into a tire wall or worse, and a huge learning experience in regards to the aero. Can't wait.

One more potential problem in the future is the LS2's stock wet sump. At the levels to which I want to build this thing, I'm debating between an Accusump system or going with a full dry sump conversion from ARE or AVIAID... neither of which will be nice to my wallet. I'll just have to weigh my options with the pump location because, as mentioned, it's very tight in the bay as it is, even with only the bare minimum accessories on the engine.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Aston Martin is dropping the price of a V8 Vantage down to $99K.

Somebody hold me. :'(

AlphaSnake

XKR still better.

So is the F-Type.

But you have to drive an Aston Martin to understand what an amazing experience it is. I've driven the V8 Vantage and it was an amazing car, to be honest. I've been thinking to myself...what would I rather have an Aston or a Jag F-Type.

The logical part of me says F-Type. But there's something about being able to have a Vantage for $99K that just sticks out and makes me wet.

AlphaSnake

The FRS RS1.0 has to be up there for one of the worst names ever.

The aesthetic upgrades are nice though, wish they were standard and wish they actually added some power.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Nah--this was by all means a budget build

This is the first time I've ever heard someone refer to a turbo LS2 S2000 build as "budget".
But beautiful car. Absolutely stunning when the hood is open. I bet it's a real fun thing to drive
when you have traction.

oh and ,l,, I'm envious

Also, based on the OP I would have to disagree and say that the P1 and the cars like it, (918, La Ferrari), brought the greatest change to the industry in the past few years. The integration of a hybrid system that was originally designed for economy to increase the power of a vehicle exponentially is game changing. Granted these systems have been in La Mans and F1 for years, but now that they are being included in production vehicles it is only a matter of time until they trickle down in the $100 - 200k price bracket. They will be, and already are, game changing for the industry.

http://youtu.be/wDKrcZ7xLY8

M235i v. Cla45

Randy said the M235i is the best driving BMW in the last ten years
What I wouldn't give to have that M235i as my grocery-getter. I'm so glad little RWD coupes have come back with a vengeance.

This is the first time I've ever heard someone refer to a turbo LS2 S2000 build as "budget".
Relative to what it could have been! Selling the F20C, transmission, diff, and rear axles on S2KI was easy money, and if you're not afraid of lightly used parts and scavenging from the misfortunes of others (wrecked '06 GTO, wrecked '04 Cobra), you can stretch your dollar pretty far.

Granadier

That Miata chassis is a thing of beauty. I love how they have kept the structural member running along the drive shaft to connect the trans and diff.

That Merc interior though....beautiful leather, but those vents are puke worthy. And that shifter looks like something a woman would use to pleasure herself. Maybe that's what they're going for with that center console though...

Laekon

The Volkswagen GTI Mk7 finally hits the US in June. Here's the pricing info.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/15/2015-vw-gti-pricing-24395/#continued
Really disappointed to see they are moving production to Mexico. I remember earlier Jettas having quality issues when production was moved out of Germany.

The only thing I hope they add is the ability to put on a hitch rack. Having a roof rack for bikes is the only thing I don't like about my 2008 GTI. It's been an awesome car.

Granadier

Really disappointed to see they are moving production to Mexico. I remember earlier Jettas having quality issues when production was moved out of Germany.

The only thing I hope they add is the ability to put on a hitch rack. Having a roof rack for bikes is the only thing I don't like about my 2008 GTI. It's been an awesome car.

VW's for North America have been made in Mexico and Brazil for quite a while.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

I'm just sad that I have to get the 4-door Autobahn model to get nav, and that has leather standard.

I want a three-door with the nav and the plaid seats.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
This is the new Dodge Challenger.

ttieaex8aq580w3xz5ec.jpg

The bodyshell is the same, but the underpinnings, front and rear bumpers (check out those '71-inspired taillights!), and interior have all been revamped.

TylerD

Going to visit my parents over the weekend in Oklahoma and take care of my oil leaks on the 330. They haven't been much of a problem since I don't drive so much and I clean things up regularly. Valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gaskets to be replaced and I have a new CCV and hoses that ill take but might hold off on installing. Looking forward to working on it in a garage and out of the blowing dust.

I filled up in New Mexico on the way back from my ski trip on March 2 and didn't fill up again until April 5th @ 22 mpg. Walking work commute is noice and when I do drive, I enjoy it, hence the pretty bad economy.

From what I understood, the GTI was not.
But it's sort of irrelevant. The issues are common with new model/location of any car. They've had factories down there for over a decade now and even the new engines will be manufactured there. It's been a long enough time that for that to actually disappoint you is just silly at this point.

On another note, any suggestions on car care products? In thinking mothers VLR for my leather seats and meguiers nxt for wax. Any recommendations on tire shine or wheel cleaners or better stuff than I'm considering? I pick up the car Saturday.

ameratsu

This was posted on another forum I visit

Guy with a 911 991 has been having massive problems with it. Porsche is dicking him around about getting his money back.

It's completely astounding that a modern vehicle could be so spectacularily unreliable. Not a problem here or there, but a complete mess.

Top Bottom