• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ShowDog

I love everything about that convertible, except... no roll hoops?! What the hell were they thinking. This is a z06 performance edition and you can't even take it on the track. Not to mention, utilizing it properly on a public road would be dangerous and could easily lead to a rollover accident.

It looks so right.

It really does

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It looks so right.

So subtle, so perfect.

I still think the only thing not made out of plastic on a Vette is the engine though. Ugh.

I'd like one of these instead.
2014_alfa_romeo_4c_20_1024x768.jpg

I'm car shopping right now. I test drove a Prius fell in love with it.
Fusion Hybrid's body was designed by the Aston Martin guy and it shows.

Power mode my friend....

I have had one since 2009, have enjoyed driving it, and the MPGs

I prefer the looks of the Prius over the Fusion! But yes the Prius is a boring car. Don't mind it though since people I know with love just going out for a drive on the weekends. I don't do that anymore to save money on gas.

I've had a Volt for a little more than 2 years. It's fantastic, I charge it up every night and except for when it get's really cold I get about 35-40 miles on a charge.

I've have 223 MPG lifetime on it. 13259 Miles on the car and 11909 are electric miles. I've never had to get an oil change since the gas engine rarely runs.
1202.gif

ascii42

In the case of the Volt, that's not that ridiculous

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?50809-Oil-Change-FAQ
2. Can the oil really last up to 2 years without changing?
You betcha!—depending on how much you use the ICE (internal combustion engine). Many people go for months without ever using the engine, that's less wear and tear on gas engine. If you run your engine every day it may need changing more frequently. So a driver who runs in EV mode 70% of the time can probably go a year or two between oil changes.

Those guys need to get a TDI instead if they want MPG.

TDI really isn't appealing anymore though... The new mazda 3 is rated for 41mpg, I think the jetta TDI is 45mpg, and diesel is more expensive. As a solely MPG decision it's not as alluring since there hasn't really been pressure yet to redesign the diesel engines. Plus it's a couple thousand more for the "benefit" of owning a diesel. They're just not a good value proposition anymore. Maybe if you drive insane mileage it will but it feels like many will not breakeven from the difference in car and diesel prices or struggle to break even if they do.

Granadier

TDI really isn't appealing anymore though... The new mazda 3 is rated for 41mpg, I think the jetta TDI is 45mpg, and diesel is more expensive. As a solely MPG decision it's not as alluring since there hasn't really been pressure yet to redesign the diesel engines. Plus it's a couple thousand more for the "benefit" of owning a diesel. They're just not a good value proposition anymore. Maybe if you drive insane mileage it will but it feels like many will not breakeven from the difference in car and diesel prices or struggle to break even if they do.

I disagree with most of your reasons, but to each his own.

Laekon

I get that the 3,000 mile rule is antiquated at this point, but over two years is seriously pushing it.
Does synthetic oil really break down? I'm using my car so infrequently now that I'm doing oil changes based on time but I don't know how long that should be.

Granadier

Why do you feel it's better? I'm curious.

• Diesels are cleaner than gasoline engines now
  • They get better MPG, "45" is advertised, but it will vary between 45 - 55
  • A gas/hybrid will get 45 - 50 mpg whereas a diesel/hybrid(if they allowed them here) would get 55 - 70 mpg
  • Diesels last far longer than gas counterparts (300k - 400k avg vs. 100k - 200k)
  • Torque is available everywhere on diesels (GDI helps this, but diesels still hold the advantage)
  • Gas engines have to be underpowered to get the same mpg ranges as diesels. (SKYACTIV 155 hp, 155 lbft vs. TDI 140hp, 236 lbft)
  • Diesels get lower mpg in city/short trips drivings, but will still maintain ~40 mpg while the Mazda 3 will drop into the 30's.
  • $0.40/gal extra is not extreme, (it's absurd that diesel costs more than gas here in the US)
The Mazda 3 you talk about, (SKYACTIV), runs at a high compression for a gas engine and utilizes extremely lean mixtures while cruising to achieve the 41 mpg rating. This lowers the lifespan of the engine.

Source: I own a 2001 TDI that averages 50 mpg at 205k miles, and have worked as a VW and Mazda mechanic in the past.

• A gas/hybrid will get 45 - 50 mpg whereas a diesel/hybrid(if they allowed them here) would get 55 - 70 mpg
  • Diesels last far longer than gas counterparts (300k - 400k avg vs. 100k - 200k)
  • Torque is available everywhere on diesels (GDI helps this, but diesels still hold the advantage)
  • Gas engines have to be underpowered to get the same mpg ranges as diesels. (SKYACTIV 155 hp, 155 lbft vs. TDI 140hp, 236 lbft)
  • Diesels get lower mpg in city/short trips drivings, but will still maintain ~40 mpg while the Mazda 3 will drop into the 30's.
  • $0.40/gal extra is not extreme, (it's absurd that diesel costs more than gas here in the US)
The Mazda 3 you talk about, (SKYACTIV), runs at a high compression for a gas engine and utilizes extremely lean mixtures while cruising to achieve the 41 mpg rating. This lowers the lifespan of the engine.

Source: I own a 2001 TDI that averages 50 mpg at 205k miles, and have worked as a VW and Mazda mechanic in the past.

Yeah, I understand those and I don't disagree. I was going solely by your post about just worrying about MPG. Which in that case you don't give a shit whether they're cleaner or some of the other factors. I know for my cars, they rust out in my area well before the engine or such craps out so that's kind of a moot point. I still like diesels but I still for someone hell bent on saving money and mpg it's not as clear cut anymore as people suggest.

And yeah, the difference in price is bullshit since it's less refined but you still have to pay it. :p It's closer to $.50 difference by me. :/

Weren't there rumours that the new Miata might be revealed?

If you call this a reveal then sure:

14ny-next-mx-5-chassis-jpg300-46994044443347309.jpg

new miata chassis

That said, I'm excited to see it. If the new Miata doesn't show up at the Miatas at Laguna Seca this September then we're definitely seeing it in the Chicago show next year. The fact that they already have the chassis pretty much means it's almost complete. I've heard that besides the body styling they're still trying to optimize the location of the drivers seat so even this chassis can't be considered as the production chassis.

But who knows. When Mazda unveiled the new 6 and 3, it didn't even take them a long time to unveil the production version.

Well if the manufacturer is oking it, I can't see it being much of an issue if the ICE use is truly that low.

Does synthetic oil really break down? I'm using my car so infrequently now that I'm doing oil changes based on time but I don't know how long that should be.

AFAIK it doesn't really break down but if it sits around idly in an idle car for long periods it can start to have negative side effects. Obviously this guy seems to be actually driving his car, but come on man, it's a Volt, it has an ICE, it's getting used, change the damn oil once a year just for the sake of erring on the side of caution if nothing else.

Picked up the mustang today! :D

Grats! Verison? Any reason you chose to pull the trigger instead of waiting for the next-gen one?

Granadier

Yeah, I understand those and I don't disagree. I was going solely by your post about just worrying about MPG. Which in that case you don't give a shit whether they're cleaner or some of the other factors. I know for my cars, they rust out in my area well before the engine or such craps out so that's kind of a moot point. I still like diesels but I still for someone hell bent on saving money and mpg it's not as clear cut anymore as people suggest.

And yeah, the difference in price is bullshit since it's less refined but you still have to pay it. :p It's closer to $.50 difference by me. :/

Which is another advantage for the TDI/VW over the Mazda since all VW's come with a 12 year corrosion warranty.

And the price difference is based on taxes. Diesel is cheaper than gas in Europe.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Had to correct the guy who says Ian Callum designed the Fusion.

I need to stay away from non-enthusiast car threads though. They are migraine inducing, which is a shock considering the internet is full of knowledge you can absorb...yet people spout stupid things about a brand making bad cars 10 years ago, which means they still make bad cars today, etc. Or just in general comparing cars that shouldn't even be compared.

Granadier

It's the equivalent of the general populace with IT. Everyone uses it, but very few people are interested in learning about it.

asdad123

So... Bought a jeep 11 days ago and today I noticed grease inside the front wheels. Called the salesman I purchased it from, service is closed for the holiday, but they have one service guy working doing random stuff so he told me to bring it in when I get out of work.

Car is 11 days old today.

It Looks like the two rings behind the wheels are loose and moving around. Definitely not okay. Any idea if this should hopefully be an easy fix? I definitely don't feel comfortable driving around with loose parts by the wheels so I'll be asking for a rental when I drop it off today.

So I was looking through the pictures I took, and I think I may have found the problem about why this happened.

If you look at the pictures of the back CV boot in the background (this is the rear wheel), it has a silver metal clamp on it holding the end of the boot. The front ones didn't seem to have the clamp on it all as you can se in the pictures above.

If that in fact is the problem, I can't believe it passed QC like that. Ill be calling the dealership first thing in the morning on Monday to make sure its repaired correctly. The other person who had the same issue said his dealership replaced the complete axles in the front. Should I be demanding that if all they want to do is replace the CV boots? Mind you, the car was driven over 300 miles with this issue before I noticed it.

I vaguely remember years ago diesel being much cheaper than regular gas. Then all of a sudden I started to notice diesel became more expensive per gallon.

Wonder why. I know there has been a slight push to it, but it still is so much less popular than regular gas.

Ty4on

I love diesels, but have to disagree.
  • Diesels struggle to be as clean with EGR and Adblue being required to keep smog emissions down.
  • Diesels tend to get very low numbers from the EPA, but hybrids can also beat the estimates especially at lower speeds if you stay a lot in electric mode. Diesel will always give more kWh per liter due to higher power density, but a big part of the fuel is used to simply keep the engine spinning.
  • Reliability of the older diesels were quite insane, but there is an awful lot on newer diesels put there to improve emissions, economy, power and smoothness that can go wrong. I have zero numbers so they could still be bulletproof, but I keep hearing of things that break like EGR, turbos and just recently I learned about the dual mass flywheel which sometimes explodes...
  • Torque wise it really depends. Diesels have a lot of torque, but that is when the turbo is spooled up. The new low displacement turbo diesels have zero power below ~1200RPM which I notice a lot where I drive because it is quite steep most places. The Honda CRZ being the only hybrid with a manual has max torque at 1000RPM. It's far from the big push in a diesel, but at least I can count on it :p
    In rural roads diesels get much better needing less downshifting than petrol cars.
  • Again in shorter, slower trips hybrids excel. The Prius even stores hot coolant for up to three days. Living in the arctic I wish all cars did that especially diesels that need a million years to heat up.
  • I don't have an opinion, but you should live here. Diesel here is 9$ a gallon. A real bargain when petrol is almost 10 :p

The vast majority of cars I drive are diesels and I really like most of them and how reliable our 380,000km work horse is. One of the biggest surprises was an old beat up Toyota with 415,000km and a Diesel so old it lacked a turbo charger. It was icy so I didn't need the extra power and despite shaking a bit at idle (possibly too low) the engine was really sweet and reved nicely. The big surprise was how much better it was than the much newer diesel I usually drove.
The Golf Bluemotion also seemingly refuses to burn fuel and is able to get just over 3l/100km (high 70s MPG) while keeping a consant speed which blew my mind when I first noticed it. A 50% reduction in fuel consumption is hard to ignore.

Had to correct the guy who says Ian Callum designed the Fusion.

I need to stay away from non-enthusiast car threads though. They are migraine inducing, which is a shock considering the internet is full of knowledge you can absorb...yet people spout stupid things about a brand making bad cars 10 years ago, which means they still make bad cars today, etc. Or just in general comparing cars that shouldn't even be compared.

I tell myself every time I see a thread not to click on it and then I do and the headache ensues.

Granadier

I love diesels, but have to disagree.
  • Diesels struggle to be as clean with EGR and Adblue being required to keep smog emissions down.
  • Diesels tend to get very low numbers from the EPA, but hybrids can also beat the estimates especially at lower speeds if you stay a lot in electric mode. Diesel will always give more kWh per liter due to higher power density, but a big part of the fuel is used to simply keep the engine spinning.
  • Reliability of the older diesels were quite insane, but there is an awful lot on newer diesels put there to improve emissions, economy, power and smoothness that can go wrong. I have zero numbers so they could still be bulletproof, but I keep hearing of things that break like EGR, turbos and just recently I learned about the dual mass flywheel which sometimes explodes...
  • Torque wise it really depends. Diesels have a lot of torque, but that is when the turbo is spooled up. The new low displacement turbo diesels have zero power below ~1200RPM which I notice a lot where I drive because it is quite steep most places. The Honda CRZ being the only hybrid with a manual has max torque at 1000RPM. It's far from the big push in a diesel, but at least I can count on it :p
    In rural roads diesels get much better needing less downshifting than petrol cars.
  • Again in shorter, slower trips hybrids excel. The Prius even stores hot coolant for up to three days. Living in the arctic I wish all cars did that especially diesels that need a million years to heat up.
  • I don't have an opinion, but you should live here. Diesel here is 9$ a gallon. A real bargain when petrol is almost 10 :p

The vast majority of cars I drive are diesels and I really like most of them and how reliable our 380,000km work horse is. One of the biggest surprises was an old beat up Toyota with 415,000km and a Diesel so old it lacked a turbo charger. It was icy so I didn't need the extra power and despite shaking a bit at idle (possibly too low) the engine was really sweet and reved nicely. The big surprise was how much better it was than the much newer diesel I usually drove.
The Golf Bluemotion also seemingly refuses to burn fuel and is able to get just over 3l/100km (high 70s MPG) while keeping a consant speed which blew my mind when I first noticed it. A 50% reduction in fuel consumption is hard to ignore.

Thank you for the counterpoints, and for the input from outside of the US. These are valid concerns when dealing with diesel vehicles.

TylerD

I was very pleased when I popped off my valve cover. Virtually no signs of wear and no gunk anywhere. Makes me want to keep using Liqui Moly synthetic. Really surprised how plasticized the center gaskets were after about 2 years.

BsV65FOl.jpg

Oil filter housing gasket is going well. Just need to put things back together after I thoroughly cleaned that side of the engine.

Which is another advantage for the TDI/VW over the Mazda since all VW's come with a 12 year corrosion warranty.

And the price difference is based on taxes. Diesel is cheaper than gas in Europe.

No shit? I never knew about that! Is there any sort of requirement or something to have the rust repaired? That seems too good to be true to replace any rust for 12 years. That's really cool though and a huge plus.

AFAIK it doesn't really break down but if it sits around idly in an idle car for long periods it can start to have negative side effects. Obviously this guy seems to be actually driving his car, but come on man, it's a Volt, it has an ICE, it's getting used, change the damn oil once a year just for the sake of erring on the side of caution if nothing else.

Grats! Verison? Any reason you chose to pull the trigger instead of waiting for the next-gen one?

I got the mustang club of america V6 edition. I didn't really like the look of the 2015, only one I kind of cared for was the 50th anniversary one they unveiled but I'm assuming that would only be available for the GT no? My old car is also giving me fits and it's so old and has so many miles at this point that I don't feel comfortable dropping the money and hoping it doesn't break again. I love it and wish it was still working but I feel I have to cut my losses, I can't keep breaking down trying to get to work.

Pics:
HlOHZ16.jpg

nYf8vcY.jpg

iWzsPpT.jpg

Smokey

I can understand why you would go with the current gen Stang. Next-gen version does nothing for me.

Congrats on the ride! Maybe I missed it but is it brand new or used?

I can understand why you would go with the current gen Stang. Next-gen version does nothing for me.

Congrats on the ride! Maybe I missed it but is it brand new or used?

Yeah, I like the look of the current gen much more too. I double checked the '15s but I don't feel like I'm missing out by not waiting for the '15s. It's used but it only had 2k miles and garage kept. It's pretty much as close to new as you can get without it being new. They still haven't done the first oil change because it didn't reach mileage yet. It was over 2k cheaper than a new one even with my discount and had a much better warranty since it was certified so I went with it over a new one.

Granadier

No shit? I never knew about that! Is there any sort of requirement or something to have the rust repaired? That seems too good to be true to replace any rust for 12 years. That's really cool though and a huge plus.

Yeah, Volkswagen Automotive Group has a pretty serious stance on corrosion. They coat the entire body of their cars with a corrosion resistance coating to prevent rust. I'm not sure what kind of hoops you have to jump through to qualify for the repairs, but I know of quite a few people that have been able to get rust and corrosion repaired for free by them. They repair it in house as well at the dealerships.

Has the 2015 Mustang implemented independent rear suspension yet?

edit: How is the MyTouch Ford system? I was trained on it, but never had a chance to experience it in the field or as a consumer.

Yeah, Volkswagen Automotive Group has a pretty serious stance on corrosion. They coat the entire body of their cars with a corrosion resistance coating to prevent rust. I'm not sure what kind of hoops you have to jump through to qualify for the repairs, but I know of quite a few people that have been able to get rust and corrosion repaired for free by them. They repair it in house as well at the dealerships.

Has the 2015 Mustang implemented independent rear suspension yet?

edit: How is the MyTouch Ford system? I was trained on it, but never had a chance to experience it in the field or as a consumer.

Yeah, 2015 should be the first year with independent rear suspension.

I didn't get the touch unit and after hearing reviews, I didn't really want it either. Got the premium sound and such but just no touch screen. I don't know if it's better in the 2014 (doubt it) but the 2012 one it was too far into the dash to touch so you really had reach to touch anything which felt awful. And I have a pretty long reach. I doubt they redesigned for it but that was probably the biggest complaint I heard for the touch screen.

Congrats on the purchase Zaraki! That's a nice looking car
Thanks! I've probably put 150 miles on it already driving around friends to and just having fun with how nice it was this weekend.

I'm thinking about ordering a cold air intake since that seems to cheapest and easiest thing to add to it.

rokkerkory

Thanks! I've probably put 150 miles on it already driving around friends to and just having fun with how nice it was this weekend.

I'm thinking about ordering a cold air intake since that seems to cheapest and easiest thing to add to it.

congrats man... is it auto or manual?

Yeah, you can't go wrong there. Easy to get to, requires minimal tools and you can swap them out pretty quick. They look good too.

Yeah, I've worked on previous cars but it seems like that gives you a nice boost and it is literally stupid easy to swap in and out which is awesome.

congrats man... is it auto or manual?

Manual, I wouldn't have bought it if it was an auto. I've only owned manual cars.

TylerD

Yeah, I've worked on previous cars but it seems like that gives you a nice boost and it is literally stupid easy to swap in and out which is awesome.

Manual, I wouldn't have bought it if it was an auto. I've only owned manual cars.

Looks real sharp and good on you for only driving manuals. I'm 3 of 5 in my car ownership lifetime.

Intakes are good for making your car sound meaner but are pretty negligible for power increases.

Here is an interesting video on intakes.

http://youtu.be/gCi2yo4UqPI

Top Bottom