• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ShowDog

Yeah, people I know have had the sales person call after the sale to bust them to put a review of 5 stars.

More or less ya. I can't get simple questions answered and fuck no I'm not driving there. Most places don't stock manuals. I'm not driving am hour or two for them to say "lol we don't carry that". You really consider that a viable solution? They should be able to answer simple questions, its not rocket science. I'm not wasting time haggling with people who don't even have a car.

What do people think of the blue reflex mica paint for Mazda? I finally found the car in stock but only that color and I dislike it but everyone I show it to seems to like it. They're a lot cheaper too since its in stock. Curious what people think of the color.

I'm not a big fan of that color, it looks drab to me

ascii42

I'm kinda warming up to the new Mustang, maybe it's because of some of the color/wheel combinations here.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/large-batch-2015-1557.html
This angle is fine
attachment.php

It's when you start seeing the weird slope of the trunk that causes problems.

ascii42

I'm waiting on the new Dodge Challenger at the NY auto show, otherwise I'm getting a Mini.

I'm definitely interested in the Challenger, but I remain curious about the next Camaro. I've driven the ATS and I can imagine what that platform would be like with a V8. Fortunately I don't plan on buying a new car for a few more years at least, which is good because that'll allow both to be a couple model years in.

Smokey

Test drove a 650i Gran Coupe today. Interior was nice. Full leather and all. And dat V8. Love the presence of the car on the road. If I wanted a touring car, but not leave the BMW fam, I'm pretty sure I'd go with it. The one I test drove was $96,000. They had a 550i that was a good 15k-17k cheaper. Same engine...so really just 15k if you like 6 GC looks.

hm

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Test drove a 650i Gran Coupe today. Interior was nice. Full leather and all. And dat V8. Love the presence of the car on the road. If I wanted a touring car, but not leave the BMW fam, I'm pretty sure I'd go with it. The one I test drove was $96,000. They had a 550i that was a good 15k-17k cheaper. Same engine...so really just 15k if you like 6 GC looks.

hm

550i handles like shit and wallows all over the highway. I drove them

hm

6-Series looks like shit :[

I think this is an unpopular opinion around here.

Smokey

So this guy ordered a 2015 Lambo Huracan

Finally, last but definitely not least. My biggest pickup ever at this point. I put down a order for the 2015 Lamborghini Huracan LP610-4 last month. Delivery should be around the 4th quarter of this year.

IMG_20140311_031238.jpg

Here's an almost exact Huracan at the Geneva autoshow like the one I ordered. Verde Mantis exterior color with the transparent engine bonnet.
1982237_439872136142916_1115151642_n.jpg

13271897785_a44bc24ea9.jpg

inb4 making fun of my poor choice of color.

AlphaSnake

Interesting. I've never driven it before, just knew it had the same engine as 650. More details if you remember?

i like it
MEET ME SOMEWHERE

Yeah I got tons of details. When I was car shopping a few months ago and looking to trade in my Z, the 550i was waaay high on my list. It was that or the M56S. I went to a number of BMW dealers, drove the car and walked away really disappointed. The steering feels artificial, for starters. It's not quite Audi bad, but it just wasn't what I was used to coming from owning a 335i Coupe and driving my brothers E62 M6 on a frequent basis - both cars with incredibly tight steering setups.

But I hoped the chassis would feel better, and it didn't. Lane changes caused an incredible amount of sway, the body roll was extremely evident and the front and rear of the car simply felt disconnected if you tossed the car side to side. You could feel the rear move after the front, this is usually a sign of very poor damper control, soft sway bars, and spring rates that are geared more for couch-highway cruising, rather than GT sportiness that the 5-series had been known for in the past. Not even the current Audi A6 is that poorly sprung. So imagine this car through a sweeping turn or exit ramp...and ti just didn't feel pretty.

The worst though was when you peg it on the highway and you could feel that open diff doing its worse, where the car actually moves toward one direction as one wheel spins faster than the other...there is simply no excuse for this in a 420HP+ high-powered sedan. On a barely slick road, that was simply infuriating. I tried looking at M-Sport models, but then I was stepping into a territory of money I couldn't justify and apparently it doesn't even help that much anyway according to everyone who owns them or has driven them. The car mags even back this up.

None of this should come as a surprise, because the 5-series platform is based on the 7-series platform this generation.

Smokey

Yeah I got tons of details. When I was car shopping a few months ago and looking to trade in my Z, the 550i was waaay high on my list. It was that or the M56S. I went to a number of BMW dealers, drove the car and walked away really disappointed. The steering feels artificial, for starters. It's not quite Audi bad, but it just wasn't what I was used to coming from owning a 335i Coupe and driving my brothers E62 M6 on a frequent basis - both cars with incredibly tight steering setups.

But I hoped the chassis would feel better, and it didn't. Lane changes caused an incredible amount of sway, the body roll was extremely evident and the front and rear of the car simply felt disconnected if you tossed the car side to side. You could feel the rear move after the front, this is usually a sign of very poor damper control, soft sway bars, and spring rates that are geared more for couch-highway cruising, rather than GT sportiness that the 5-series had been known for in the past. Not even the current Audi A6 is that poorly sprung. So imagine this car through a sweeping turn or exit ramp...and ti just didn't feel pretty.

The worst though was when you peg it on the highway and you could feel that open diff doing its worse, where the car actually moves toward one direction as one wheel spins faster than the other...there is simply no excuse for this in a 420HP+ high-powered sedan. On a barely slick road, that was simply infuriating. I tried looking at M-Sport models, but then I was stepping into a territory of money I couldn't justify and apparently it doesn't even help that much anyway according to everyone who owns them or has driven them. The car mags even back this up.

None of this should come as a surprise, because the 5-series platform is based on the 7-series platform this generation.

Yeah I read that BMW was going to further reduce the number of platforms their cars are based on. Down to two or something? Lame. Truly becoming the Toyota of "luxury" cars. Or is that Audi.

Did you drive the 6 series? I want your impressions since you are more tuned into the details than I am. Your bro has a M6 right?

Yeah I read that BMW was going to further reduce the number of platforms their cars are based on. Down to two or something? Lame. Truly becoming the Toyota of "luxury" cars. Or is that Audi.

Did you drive the 6 series? I want your impressions since you are more tuned into the details than I am. Your bro has a M6 right?

Everybody is doing it. Mercedes is trimming it down to four platforms, one for sedans, one for SUVs, one for their cheap shit, and I assume one for the sportiers cars.

AlphaSnake

Yeah he has the new M6 now. The 6-series in general handles quite a bit better than a 5-series, though. Even the standard ones. I'd definitely recommend one.

So can anyone weigh in on mustangs in snow/rain? I live in the northeast by new York and trying to get an idea. Its the v6 premium and it doesn't feel insane that I would think its a problem... I can't tell since I get huge contrasts from you'll die in a fiery death at a single flake of snow to its not much different than other cars. If I'm careful should it be bearable? I'll have probably close to a 20 min. commute soon.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So this guy ordered a 2015 Lambo Huracan

I'm not impressed. There's one guy running around Palm Beach Gardens with a Bugatti Veyron. Sorry, no pics, I was driving in my dinky Fiat 500 and couldn't take my cameraphone out of my pocket.

jk he better come in here once he gets it in his driveway.

AlphaSnake

So can anyone weigh in on mustangs in snow/rain? I live in the northeast by new York and trying to get an idea. Its the v6 premium and it doesn't feel insane that I would think its a problem... I can't tell since I get huge contrasts from you'll die in a fiery death at a single flake of snow to its not much different than other cars. If I'm careful should it be bearable? I'll have probably close to a 20 min. commute soon.

Power has NO bearing on how a RWD car performs in the snow. A 180HP RWD car will have the same exact issues a 550HP one will.

You need dedicated winter tires on any RWD car in the northeast. Winter. Not all season...WINTER TIRES.

Power has NO bearing on how a RWD car performs in the snow. A 180HP RWD car will have the same exact issues a 550HP one will.

You need dedicated winter tires on any RWD car in the northeast. Winter. Not all season...WINTER TIRES.
But will that make it bearable? I don't mind being careful, I just want to get into an accident or can't get to work or whatever. I was going to buy a set of steel wheels and blizzak tires since that's what everyone online seems to love is the bridgestone blizzak. If there's steps I can do to use it year round I will, I just don't want it to get hurt or anything or realize I'm making a poor decision due to the snow.
The biggest thing people complained about was torque. They said since it has higher torque, that makes it want to spin and lose grip more.

AlphaSnake

But will that make it bearable? I don't mind being careful, I just want to get into an accident or can't get to work or whatever. I was going to buy a set of steel wheels and blizzak tires since that's what everyone online seems to love is the bridgestone blizzak. If there's steps I can do to use it year round I will, I just don't want it to get hurt or anything or realize I'm making a poor decision due to the snow.
The biggest thing people complained about was torque. They said since it has higher torque, that makes it want to spin and lose grip more.

If you have winter tires on it, it will ride fantastic in the snow as long as you're careful - I did this in my 350Z many years ago and had no problems.

If you ride on the stock OEM tires the car comes with, you will crash it or get stuck no matter how careful you try to be. Your only option driving a RWD car in the snow is with winter tires on it and nothing else.

Are you getting a manual? I survived this winter in a BRZ in Michigan. Not dangerous but you will have to learn how to use your throttle really well.

If you have winter tires on it, it will ride fantastic in the snow as long as you're careful - I did this in my 350Z many years ago and had no problems.

If you ride on the stock OEM tires the car comes with, you will crash it or get stuck no matter how careful you try to be. Your only option driving a RWD car in the snow is with winter tires on it and nothing else.

Awesome, that's fine. I don't mind buying winter tires at all. One last question, did you weigh down the trunk or anything? Some people were saying to get like 3-4 bags of kitty litter or sand to put in the back. Did you bother with that at all by chance.

Are you getting a manual? I survived this winter in a BRZ in Michigan. Not dangerous but you will have to learn how to use your throttle really well.

Yeah, that's all I've ever driven is manuals and I really don't want an automatic for something like a sports car.

lem0n

In my 10 years of driving (all BMWs), I've never had a cute blonde wink at me and tell me my car was awesome, at a stop light. Within a month of Miata ownership, it's happened.

In my 10 years of driving (all BMWs), I've never had a cute blonde wink at me and tell me my car was awesome, at a stop light. Within a month of Miata ownership, it's happened.

Sames. Every girl I know at school who sees my car for the first time is surprised my dumbass can drive such a cool car haha.

Haha, so you're saying I shouldn't get the mustang after all? :(

Lol unfortunately, Mustang's are a common sight these days. And when you do get a nice 'stang like a Boss 302 or Shelby GT500, you'll be attracting dudes instead of chicks instead.

Btw, has anybody ever driven a Lotus Evora before?

Had the chance to drive one this past weekend, albeit in a tightass parking lot that I couldn't do much in, but JFC... if you think the Miata is cramped... try getting in/out of that thing. That said, I love how it sounds and the clutch feels perfectly fine for a daily driver. Of course, I probably wouldn't daily an MR monster... but if you've got the balls for it, I'm sure it's possible lol.

You should be OK then. The couple of times I did get stuck (funnily enough, in my own apartment's parking lot), I just started off in 2nd and got out.

Nice. I mean winter driving is never awesome so I'm just hoping it's like my other cars where if I'm careful I'll be ok.

Sames. Every girl I know at school who sees my car for the first time is surprised my dumbass can drive such a cool car haha.

Lol unfortunately, Mustang's are a common sight these days. And when you do get a nice 'stang like a Boss 302 or Shelby GT500, you'll be attracting dudes instead of chicks instead.

Btw, has anybody ever driven a Lotus Evora before?

Had the chance to drive one this past weekend, albeit in a tightass parking lot that I couldn't do much in, but JFC... if you think the Miata is cramped... try getting in/out of that thing. That said, I love how it sounds and the clutch feels perfectly fine for a daily driver. Of course, I probably wouldn't daily an MR monster... but if you've got the balls for it, I'm sure it's possible lol.

Sure, and the same thing with most beemers which is why he never got those kind of looks before. Miata is still an odd sight for most but I want to hold off on the redesign to consider that I think.

AlphaSnake

Awesome, that's fine. I don't mind buying winter tires at all. One last question, did you weigh down the trunk or anything? Some people were saying to get like 3-4 bags of kitty litter or sand to put in the back. Did you bother with that at all by chance.

Yeah, that's all I've ever driven is manuals and I really don't want an automatic for something like a sports car.

No. Weighing down the rear isn't that helpful. The winter tires will do just fine, you will be astonished at how well they work. No amount of careful driving will compromise for the tires. It's not about how much power you put down or how careful you put it down, it's simply the rubber slipping on the snow.

Also, because Mustangs have live-rear axle, they are especially going to be terrible in the snow without winter tires.

No. Weighing down the rear isn't that helpful. The winter tires will do just fine, you will be astonished at how well they work. No amount of careful driving will compromise for the tires. It's not about how much power you put down or how careful you put it down, it's simply the rubber slipping on the snow.

Also, because Mustangs have live-rear axle, they are especially going to be terrible in the snow without winter tires.

Nice, I'll call them tomorrow to say I'm buying it then. Thanks again for all the advice guys, I think I finally decided on my car.

Picture of the car:

2Ln9Lri.jpg

Sure, and the same thing with most beemers which is why he never got those kind of looks before. Miata is still an odd sight for most but I want to hold off on the redesign to consider that I think.

Yup. Miata's are still surprisingly rare even though there's abour 900k examples in the world. Hell the parking lot I park at school only has 3 Miatas... 2 NC's including mine and an NB. Once in a while another Miata shows up, but for the most part it's 3 at the very least.

And you might as well wanna hold off an the Mustang as well. Alpha's right, those live-axles are terrible in the snow... thankfully Ford decided that it's time to modern up the suspension and the 2015's have an independent rear suspension so it should drive a lot better than the old ones.

That said, snow tires on either car will do wonders. I've driven my Miata at the limit in 30F degree weather with my summer tires on and it will slip if you're not careful. I'm actually considering snow tires next winter since it's starting to get a lot more colder over here in Texas in recent years.

Yup. Miata's are still surprisingly rare even though there's abour 900k examples in the world. Hell the parking lot I park at school only has 3 Miatas... 2 NC's including mine and an NB. Once in a while another Miata shows up, but for the most part it's 3 at the very least.

And you might as well wanna hold off an the Mustang as well. Alpha's right, those live-axles are terrible in the snow... thankfully Ford decided that it's time to modern up the suspension and the 2015's have an independent rear suspension so it should drive a lot better than the old ones.

That said, snow tires on either car will do wonders. I've driven my Miata at the limit in 30F degree weather with my summer tires on and it will slip if you're not careful. I'm actually considering snow tires next winter since it's starting to get a lot more colder over here in Texas in recent years.

2015 mustang is fugly as shit to me. It's either this or nothing. If snow tires make it drivable then that's good enough for me. I'll only be doing a 20 min drive.

Lizardus

So the 2015 Shelby GT350 having a flat-plane 8 cylinder engine and over 8000 RPM redline is a real thing or just something I dreamt up?

lem0n

I hardly ever see any other NA's out here. There's another red one that I see regularly, but that's it. Closer to Phoenix I have some friends with NAs, though.

Also, to dude getting a Mustang- make sure you get the 5.0 or you will always regret not getting one fitted with that motor. Coyote is a magical engine that makes me excited in my pants.

Top Bottom