• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I'm saying red. The white looks nice but something about the guards red works really well with the Cayman--like the body lines are captured better. I imagine that's mostly photography and lighting, though.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Honestly, my gut is saying white. That's why it's the color I initially ordered. I think it looks amazing with the hints of black, carbon, and red contrast on and inside the car.

Good man. Go with your gut.

Those are the exact same reasons I think white looks fantastic on Caymans as well.

Honestly, my gut is saying white. That's why it's the color I initially ordered. I think it looks amazing with the hints of black, carbon, and red contrast on and inside the car.

What gen is your Miata btw? Have you ever posted pics here before? It would look pretty sick with bronze wheels.

How long do you have before you can't change the color? I imagine you're gonna have to account for those sleepless nights, agonizing over the color haha. Maybe you could head down to your local dealer and and compare whatever red and white car they have to make the decision smoother.

But from what you've said, it seems like you're almost dead set on white... and I say almost because it seems like Auto-GAF is the only reason you're wanting red. I still say red of course, but it seems like you've already got a thing/theme with colored vehicles so it might be a good idea to stick to that theme as well.

Anyway, yeah I posted a couple of pics two months ago when I did a shoot. It's a 3rd Gen LE in Velocity Red Mica, which is one of the better red's I've seen from any company. Here's a couple from that shoot:

XGTRtMI.jpg

XzI68AT.jpg

ZjsJroV.jpg

Evo X

You should go with white.

I still say red of course.

I'm saying red.

I think white looks fantastic.

74d.jpg

How long do you have before you can't change the color? I imagine you're gonna have to account for those sleepless nights, agonizing over the color haha. Maybe you could head down to your local dealer and and compare whatever red and white car they have to make the decision smoother.

Anyway, yeah I posted a couple of pics two months ago when I did a shoot. It's a 3rd Gen LE in Velocity Red Mica, which is one of the better red's I've seen from any company. Here's a couple from that shoot:

Your car looks great! Those things are like go karts around twisty roads. I don't even know why you considered an RX-8.

They still haven't announced allocations for North America yet, so I don't even know if I will be assigned a car. lol.

Assuming I am, I should have until April to change color and configuration before the order is locked in. Many sleepless nights ahead. I'll try to drop by a dealer that has Caymans in both colors.

white.
as mentioned, wayy classier. downside, it must be kept pristine to look great.

Oh, I keep my vehicles in ridiculously good condition. That won't be a problem.

Statistically you will get more speeding tickets in red.

That is true. I have a completely clean driving record right now thanks to my Valentine One. I would like to keep it that way.

negitoro7

White because of the black, carbon and red bits on the car constrasting beautifully with the white. Any decent car looks great with that combo (I'm biased), but a truly GREAT car in white looks spectacular.

GHG

Guys can someone explain this to me?:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wGChzK9DZDQ

I mean what the hell is that monstrosity and who thought it was a good idea? I actually threw up a little in my mouth.

I'm currently looking at reasonably priced sports/performance cars in case the diagnostics from my x6 are worse than expected when I get the results tomorrow and naturally the Subaru WRX has come up. But no way with that abomination of a gearbox. I read that people didn't like it but my god...

But I have to say the Audi S3 sedan looks to be a fantastic deal. Might even consider trading the x6 for one regardless of the diagnostics results because I'm already tired of playing this out of warranty roulette game with BMW.

A 400bhp twin turbo engine out of warranty was always going to be a bad idea... I mean look at this, it's like BMW's engineers took inspiration from the alien ship designs in Crysis:

lem0n

I mean what the hell is that monstrosity and who thought it was a good idea? I actually threw up a little in my mouth.

I'm currently looking at reasonably priced sports/performance cars in case the diagnostics from my x6 are worse than expected when I get the results tomorrow and naturally the Subaru WRX has come up. But no way with that abomination of a gearbox. I read that people didn't like it but my god...

But I have to say the Audi S3 sedan looks to be a fantastic deal. Might even consider trading the x6 for one regardless of the diagnostics results because I'm already tired of playing this out of warranty roulette game with BMW.

A 400bhp twin turbo engine out of warranty was always going to be a bad idea... I mean look at this, it's like BMW's engineers took inspiration from the alien ship designs in Crysis:

Consider the CLA?

TylerD

Evo, White. The one that Chris Harris posted looks fucking amazing. Absolutely delicious.

Had a check engine light come on. Pulled the codes and had 4 stored.

- Thermal oil level sensor, simple fix if it's going bad though I don't ever see the yellow oil light indicating its going bad. I'll change the oil in the next couple of weeks and do the sensor if it pops back up.

- Misfire cylinder 4, meh. Same thing that happens once every 6 months or so.

- two codes for mixture preparation bank1 and bank2. Might have a dirty MAF or a leak somewhere in the intake boots, vacuum hoses.

Cleared everything and no codes again after 3 days and 50 miles, hard runs, idling for 10 mins, etc. :)

Sorry if this is the complete wrong thread to ask in but I assume someone here would have knowledge about this as I scoured google and some other forums with no luck.

I have a 2015 Tacoma that I want to get new tires and rims for. I have no need to keep the stock tires and rims and don't like craiglist ebay type selling. Is it common for a tire/rim shop to give credit for stock tires and rims from a vehicle?

No Love

Banned
Sorry if this is the complete wrong thread to ask in but I assume someone here would have knowledge about this as I scoured google and some other forums with no luck.

I have a 2015 Tacoma that I want to get new tires and rims for. I have no need to keep the stock tires and rims and don't like craiglist ebay type selling. Is it common for a tire/rim shop to give credit for stock tires and rims from a vehicle?

Sell them on Craigslist/Tacoma forums. You can probably get a lot for them + stock tires.

J-Rzez

On phone on a short break Evo X...

If the red is metallic and not boring lifeless plain red, go that red.

If the white is pearl, then it's a flip of the coin. Though I'd lean red.

If the white is basic plain-Jane white, unless you're accenting it with some color/carbon fiber pieces to break it up, meh.

Pearls/metallics help accent lines and curves, thus I tend to prefer them. When I was deciding on the color for my wrx it was wrb pearl, or white pearl. It was a super tough choice but went blue. Metallic pearls add a wow touch to just about anything. Surprisingly, I get a lot of compliments on my rex due to its color.

Nicest red I ever saw though, partially biased, was on my old 2000 Celica gts. It had a true 3-stage house of kolors kandy Apple red finish (to my base choice) and it was breath taking. Won multiple (best paint) trophies too with it, from Carlisle to e-town. Thus if that red is a metallic pearl, go for it.

GHG

Consider the CLA?

They are a bit more than I want to spend really. They go into a whole new price category once you start adding options on.

The original plan was to trade in for a Macan later this year but I don't see the point as we put down money on a 2013 2.0t tiguan which will be my wife's car this weekend (should have it registered etc before the end of the week). That now frees me up to get anything I want since she will have an SUV as a runaround.

So if I get anything in the next few months it will just be an "in between" (low maintenance, in warranty/service package) car so really don't want to spend anything crazy since the main goal is to save for an r8 v10 plus or Ferrari FF for next year at some point.

The S3 seems to tick all the boxes and it seems to be good enough so that I'll keep it long enough to find a good deal on what I really want and avoid panic buying.

jey_16

Banned
They are a bit more than I want to spend really. They go into a whole new price category once you start adding options on.

The original plan was to trade in for a Macan later this year but I don't see the point as we put down money on a 2013 2.0t tiguan which will be my wife's car this weekend (should have it registered etc before the end of the week). That now frees me up to get anything I want since she will have an SUV as a runaround.

So if I get anything in the next few months it will just be an "in between" (low maintenance, in warranty/service package) car so really don't want to spend anything crazy since the main goal is to save for an r8 v10 plus or Ferrari FF for next year at some point.

The S3 seems to tick all the boxes and it seems to be good enough so that I'll keep it long enough to find a good deal on what I really want and avoid panic buying.

i just ordered an S3 2 days ago....your right about the CLA, he in Australia at least the CLA250 is basically the same price as the S3 but its substantially underpowered. The CLA45 is almost $20k more so that was out of the question

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I love white coupes, but they're becoming waaaay too common.

And red on black accents all the way. So hot.

#Red

lem0n

We're a fan of pop-ups at this household. Hehehe. Miata is my daily, AE92 GT-S is my and my GF's new project and will be her daily, and S13 is my roommates SR20 Blacktop swapped daily.

Don't mind the oil stains from my old Yota truck...

11008447_101527954337osbun.jpg

GHG

i just ordered an S3 2 days ago....your right about the CLA, he in Australia at least the CLA250 is basically the same price as the S3 but its substantially underpowered. The CLA45 is almost $20k more so that was out of the question

Yep, same situation here in the UAE.

The only other contender is the ne Golf R which is a bit cheaper but the interior is nowhere near as nice or comfortable as the Audis.

Evo X

Wow, I never expected such a strong response to my color question! Especially split so evenly on 2 sides.

So I'm gonna take the decision out of my hands and let GAF decide entirely.

I will have a running tally going until the point the order has been locked in. Stand and be counted for #TeamRed or #TeamWhite!

Here's where it's at right now:

Smokey: Red

mkenyon: White

Rengoku: Red

DasRaven: Both??? Choose one.

Kipp: White

Don_Tonberry: White

jongkookie: Red

ShowDog: Red

Rayge: White

Jackson: Red

BrokenEchelon: White

GHG: White

minx88: Red

bah321: White

mmazurkiewicz: Red

op_ivy: White

Dave Inc.: Red

Niks: White

Stinkles: ???

negitoro7: White

Gouty: Red

TylerD: White

J-Rzez: Red

m_shortpants: White

AlphaSnake: Red

So that's 11 votes for Red and 12 votes for White right now. So close! Which side will win? :D

Smokey

Dude

Red. For real for real.

The red on the gt4 immediately pops out to you. White makes it more understated, but you are getting a GT4 breh. Do it justice.

kagete

I have a new pearl white and my older car is a metallic blue but both times I initially shopped for a red car but couldn't find the one I wanted at my desired trim level and price point.

Go red, its what sporty cars are meant to wear. Mainstream brands like Mazda and Nissan run all their ads with red cars because curves and creases just look better in motion with them.

Hey guys is GAP insurance a good idea?

Also, a friend recommended going with an insurer that will give me MSRP for my car in the event of a total loss. Anyone use this sort of policy? Who offers it?

mkenyon

Banned
The thing you have to keep in mind Evo, is that #teamwhite has objectively better style and class. Our votes should be doubly weighted. So #teamwhite is actually at 24 compared to Red's 11.
Driveclub Lambo DLC pack

http://youtu.be/0RSbShYtp3Q

Thought I should post that here. Looks legit as fuck. The sound ;__;

dat Veneno

notice how there are no white Lambos in the trailer, and the end it with a Veneno in red hmm
See, but a Porsche Cayman GT is not a Lambo. There's a level of restraint in tems of visual design between the two. One is, "ZOMG LOOK AT ME IN THIS RIDICULOUS CAR I HAVE SO MUCH MONEY". The other is, "I like to drive amazingly engineered cars and have fun on the track".

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hey guys is GAP insurance a good idea?

Also, a friend recommended going with an insurer that will give me MSRP for my car in the event of a total loss. Anyone use this sort of policy? Who offers it?

Most insurance companies will replace your new car with a model newer as a standard practice. Call up your insurance provider and ask them if you have this feature as standard on your policy. And inquire about GAP coverage.

GAP is usually only necessary when you're upside down on your loan. So if you owe 40K, your car is worth 30K. And it gets totaled (God forbid), and insurance only pays out $33K, you will have to cover the remaining 7K.

Most insurance companies will replace your new car with a model newer as a standard practice. Call up your insurance provider and ask them if you have this feature as standard on your policy. And inquire about GAP coverage.

GAP is usually only necessary when you're upside down on your loan. So if you owe 40K, your car is worth 30K. And it gets totaled (God forbid), and insurance only pays out $33K, you will have to cover the remaining 7K.

So do you personally recommend GAP? Its only $349.

I didn't know that insurers replace the car with a new model as a replacement. I've always been under the impression that they give you the value of what it was worth before the accident.

So do you personally recommend GAP? Its only $349.

I didn't know that insurers replace the car with a new model as a replacement. I've always been under the impression that they give you the value of what it was worth before the accident.

What is your current situation? How much is your car worth and how much do you owe on it?

If you are buying a new car, how much of the full price of the car are you borrowing?

CVT's are not new : Here is one they tried in F1 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3UpBKXMRto&spfreload=10

Have you tried driving the CVT in the WRX? I have and it is quite nice. Don't knock it without trying. The revless mode is only in track mode, in other modes it shifts like a regular car.

No Love

Banned
Please do expand on this more. I hear good things about it, but I also hear lots of bad things. An objective assessment, if possible.

It's like this: the majority of CVT's are designed for economy, not performance. I mean, the 0-60 alone (a metric I despise) says it all:

4.8~ second 0-60 for the manual WRX
5.6~ second 0-60 for the CVT WRX.

That's a pretty drastic decrease in performance. I'm sure the CVT traps 3-5 MPH slower than the manual, too.

The 2015 WRX is a good car. Just not with a CVT. If you're buying the new WRX, for the love of god, don't get a CVT.

mkenyon

Banned
That has a lot to do with the only successful way of launching the WRX fast. 6500+ RPM, drop the clutch and hope you don't break it, blast to 60. Like the rolling start time of the manual 5-60 is 6.6 seconds or something like that.

I wonder if there is a track time where the two could be compared.

Top Bottom