• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

First reviews of the GT4 are starting to come out. They mention a ram air effect that adds 10% more power when the car is at speed and say it definitely pulls harder than a Carrerra S so the 385HP estimate is VERY conservative.

http://driving.ca/reviews/road-test/first-drive-2015-porsche-cayman-gt4

There are also a bunch of new pictures from the press event in Portugal.

Guys, help me decide a color! I like the Sapphire Blue, but have already owned 2 blue cars so I feel I should switch it up.

I placed an order for White because it's a classic GT color and I've wanted a white car for a while. Should I stick with it or change to something else?

If you're going for white, you need some of those classic red 'Carrera stripes' with a 'GT4' writiing like this (just not in bad photoshop-skills and with the correct font ;-) )
QXg6vhb.jpg

When I think about it, white Stripes on the blue would also work good...

If you're going for white, you need some of those classic red 'Carrera stripes' with a 'GT4' writiing like this (just not in bad photoshop-skills and with the correct font ;-) )
QXg6vhb.jpg

When I think about it, white Stripes on the blue would also work good...

I was about to say... this is a shitty photoshop from Porsche. Then it hit me... lololol.

A+ for effort / B+ for execution.

Call up Geico, get your last policy reinstated with the new VIN number of your car. You tell them when you're planning to pick the car up and they'll date your insurance policy to be effective on that date or 24 hours earlier, just in case. Also, make sure you're happy with the price quote. If not, shop around and get some other quotes, but same process applies.

Yes, you buy the policy before you buy the car. If you don't end up getting the car, you'll get a full refund instantly.

Regarding financing, that you'll have to work out with the bank and dealership. Some will prefer to directly talk to the dealer. Others will give you the check with the full funds.

thanks for the tips.

Ty4on

After doing some research it looks like it could be a common issue with the fuel injectors but the only difference I've noticed with the car over the last few weeks is a slightly higher than usual rate of engine oil consumption. Fuel consumption has also been a bit higher than usual as well. Both of which could point to a whole host of other issues. What annoys me is I had my first service out of warranty (which ran out at the start of Jan) about 3 weeks ago and I've never had any problems with this car over the last 12 months until I took it in for that and they said a bunch of things needed changing to the tune of $2,000 and now this. I can't help but suspect something fishy is going on.

What were the circumstances? I noticed the same in the work car when at high throttle (the hills here often required full throttle for that tiny engine). Shutting it down would cancel 'limp mode', but at the next hill it would beep. I think scanners like the one Alpha mentioned are affordable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't any oil consumption abnormal other than specific engines like wankels?

kagete

So my brief search for a "nice" vehicle for my wife and I has already come to an end before we could even test drive a CX5. We ended up with a Lexus NX200t, which my wife near instantly fell in love with. We got as close to the base model as we could possibly get, with just some added mats, cargo protector/net, mudflaps, and all-around llumar tint. It's pearl white but not as glossy as I thought it would be and is actually a flatter shade like it's textured under the clearcoat. Interior is the Flaxen vinyl leatherette (black was a no-no here in Atlanta, and the Cream was horrendously yellowish).

Total negotiation time exceeded 3 hours in the finance manager's office because my wife wanted to say yes to each overpriced addon they were selling like paint sealant for $1295, GAP insurance for $895 (my insurance charges $20 a year for this), ding shield for $1000, etc. I brought an ipad and keyboard to negotiation with my google sheet for breakdowns and double checked every single number on the finance guy's screen. Got it down by only $1100 off MSRP at 1.5% APR. I did much better with older purchases but I guess this car was too hot to really negotiate down on too much. Guys, don't ever bring your wife to the negotiation. It was an uphill battle in there because she was all googly-eyed at owning the car ASAP while I was trying to do what's best for us by haggling. We ended up staying 2 and a half hours past the dealers closing time and couldn't actually take delivery until the next day.

I bought and didn't lease since my family has conditioned me to keep cars forever. My parents still have a '91 Mitsubishi L300, '95 L200, and '95 Sentra that are running well enough today. Already ordered the ugly OEM body side moldings to put on myself and I'm now thinking about a clearbra or xpel or opticoat. Any thoughts on these 3 options? Or should I just wax regularly?

AC7VYC9.jpg

My brief impressions of the cars we looked at before buying:

2014 CRV - Nice, but boring. I didn't get to drive this but my officemate gladly showed his to me in detail
2015 CRV - Feels so much nicer than the 2015, but still boring. I have 3 officemates that bought this car in the last 6 months.
2015 Murano - Great interior, great tech, body gaps are inconsistent, engine is too loud but has nice enough pull for my suburban driving needs. This car felt like it had too much going on tech-wise while not feeling pinned down. The brown Mocha leather though... we almost bought this car and I wanted the top line Platinum with a trade-down for the wheels. I'm glad we didn't though!
2015 Infiniti QX50 - nicest interior, but we could tell it hasn't been updated in a while. We didn't actually get to test drive this one due to being in a hurry.
2015 Outback - I wanted to get my wife to test drive this but the worst brown-noser at work just got one and just thinking about having the same vehicle as her makes me want to puke so we had to skip this.
2015 Forester - Thought it was horrendous from the outside and peeking into the windows. Didn't even bother sitting inside.
2015 CX5 - Really wanted to try one, and the new mazda6 too, but we kept stalling because of our friend insisting to wait for the 2016 ones with the same interior as his new Mazda3. We love his 3's interior and infotainment system.
2014 Edge - Looked into one because my boss just bought one and mentioned the 2015 had no significant changes while there were still 2014s on the lots with deep discounts on them. He asked me again yesterday what I thought of them and I had to politely say something nice even though I thought they were boring. Nice and quiet inside though.
2015 Camry - we were looking at the v6, glad we didn't linger on this and shopped around. I was quoted the highest insurance premium for the v6 camry compared to everything else on this list.

2015 NX - I didn't get to test drive before buying because my wife loved it too much on her drive and we jumped straight into negotiations. Now that I got to drive it 40 miles back home from the dealer I can say it's definitely great and nicer than anything my family has (all old cars) but it wasn't the best highway driver out of the lot. At 70mph the steering is still twitchy and I had to keep correcting myself to stay in lane when the roads got bumpy. Putting it into Sport helped alleviate this but I wanted to stay on ECO while on the long drive home which made it really wallow-y. It's basically a Camry at highway speeds. The interior isn't the best of everything we tested but it's greater than anything I've ever owned so i don't mind. The infotainment doesn't feel like it's brand new and I eagerly await any patches that might come because the UI is Radio focused and doesn't have a single screen or setting or top bar that displays either the current time or mph. The fuel economy and eco screens are all super nice but who cares when you're already driving a 25mpg combined car that requires premium? If the badge wasn't a Lexus, I wouldn't have bought it. But it was, and reliability was always my #1 priority so i went ahead and made the wife really, really happy. The Lexus dealership experience was the hands down best (Nalley Lexus Roswell) out of the ones we went to. Insurance wise, I guess my good driving paid off and/or Lexus drivers are really safe because this was the cheapest quote out of all vehicles listed above. Agent said it might be because it wasn't showing in their systems yet. I got $900 premium for 12 months thru SafeCo ($100/300, with rental/roadside).

Smokey

So I got into my x6 (n63 engine) yesterday morning, let it do the usual 30 second warm up cycle and drive off. Literally 30 seconds later I get the warning sound and Idrive is telling me "engine fault, reduced power, safe to continue, drive moderately". So I go easy and get it to work ok, making sure the car up shifts at around 2k rpm or before but my god did the car feel sluggish.

Then I get in the car to go home later in the day and the car is fine, no warnings, no sluggishness but I still drive it moderately just in case because I was paranoid the thing would crap out on me on the way home.

After doing some research it looks like it could be a common issue with the fuel injectors but the only difference I've noticed with the car over the last few weeks is a slightly higher than usual rate of engine oil consumption. Fuel consumption has also been a bit higher than usual as well. Both of which could point to a whole host of other issues. What annoys me is I had my first service out of warranty (which ran out at the start of Jan) about 3 weeks ago and I've never had any problems with this car over the last 12 months until I took it in for that and they said a bunch of things needed changing to the tune of $2,000 and now this. I can't help but suspect something fishy is going on.

Taking it to a highly recommended indie here tomorrow (no way am I taking it back to the crooks at bmw here) but just wanted to ask some advise from any of you guys who might have owned BMWs before.

Even if the warning has disappeared and all seems normal for now it could point towards an underlying problem right? Would they be able to see why I got the reduced power warning previously by hooking the car up to the computer and running diagnostics?

Smokey? Anyone else?

It used to happen to me quite often, but hasn't done it in quite some time.. Not sure if it's a sensor issue or what, but I've taken it to the dealership when I was under warranty. They checked everything and it was fine.

When it happened to me I usually had to turn the car off then back on and it was fine.

Evo X

Looks like the votes are evenly split between White and Red. Those were my top two choices. Red gives it more of a flashy supercar look, whereas white accentuates the curves and shows off all well against the contrasted black pieces like the front air damn and headlights.

Damn, I am no closer to deciding. lol

If you're going for white, you need some of those classic red 'Carrera stripes' with a 'GT4' writiing like this.

They don't offer stripes from the factory on this car, so that would have to be an aftermarket decal.

I think it would have enough red accents as it is. Don't want to go overboard.

The brakes and taillights would be the exterior red accents, and on the inside I have opted for deviated stitching and seat belts in red.

For reference, here's what that looks like on a Boxster GTS.

2015-porsche-boxster-gts-interior.jpg

Looks like the votes are evenly split between White and Red. Those were my top two choices. Red gives it more of a flashy supercar look, whereas white accentuates the curves and shows off all well against the contrasted black pieces like the front air damn and headlights.

As an owner of one of the best red colored cars in existence, I'm obviously also going to vote for red too lol. Speaking unbiased though, I really do like the red because of it's flashyness compared to the understated white. I still remember the first year or so when I owned my Miata and I'd just stop and stare after a long day at school/work coz it just looks gorgeous. It's sooooo much better looking now too after I've lowered it that I still tend to do it in a really pretty day haha.

. Guys, don't ever bring your wife to the negotiation. It was an uphill battle in there because she was all googly-eyed at owning the car ASAP while I was trying to do what's best for us by haggling. We ended up staying 2 and a half hours past the dealers closing time and couldn't actual

Ha! My wife and I are the exact opposite. She is an absolute shark when buying a car and gets us the greatest deals. I get all googly eyed and want the car no matter what, so I do the research on the vehicle and let her crush the guys at the dealership. It is hilarious because she is very cute, so they don't see it coming.

Congrats on the new ride.

Smokey

Red. Seriously. You are getting a gt4 breh stop trying to hide it. Think of the kids. They see a red gt4 and in their head they're like fuuuuuuck (too young to curse in front of parents) I want that. They then spend their lives remembering that car, working in an occupation to afford such car, therefore contributing to the economy. None of this happens if the car is white.

So red it is. You're welcome.

Red. Seriously. You are getting a gt4 breh stop trying to hide it. Think of the kids. They see a red gt4 and in their head they're like fuuuuuuck (too young to curse in front of parents) I want that. They then spend their lives remembering that car, working in an occupation to afford such car, therefore contributing to the economy. None of this happens if the car is white.

My man. This plays off of what is still one of Porsche's best commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sWPHKU1XZU

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
M is the 5 series competitor. It's now the Q50.

Q40/50/70 are the sedans, would be the 3/5/7 Series for BMW.

Q60 is the coupe version of the Q40.

Throw an X after a Q and you get to the crossover/suv line. But this is where it starts to make zero sense.

QX50, despite being 50, is the Crossover/Hatchback version of the Q40.

QX60 is that pseudo minivan thingie.

QX70 is the old FX.

QX80 is the big Titan-based SUV.

I have a feeling that it's nonsensical for the sake of not mirroring BMW. They should have just bit the bullet and mirrored BMW.

Mercedes naming convention has always eluded me. The only one I "understand" isd the C series. Because it rhymes with 3.

I realize it's simple but for some reason it never sticks, so I can't identify mercs by sight.

mkenyon

Banned

Yeah, but there will also be a kid who sees it in white, and then makes the association with understated sports cars and a sense of class. You've then helped this kid start to have better taste from an early age, rather than focusing on bright and shiny things as a clue for quality.

So, think of the kids man.

Momentary

Banned
Aston Martin Vulcan would be such a waste of a design if they don't release a road version of the car.

I would get one in white...

Jackson

Carmine what? Guards Red or nothing. I don't even like red cars (unless it's a Ferrari) but red is so awesome on the Cayman.

I went to a PCA event couple weeks back there was a Sapphire Blue 991 GT3. I didn't dig it. The blue made it feel too tame.

Yellow journalism at its finest!

Headline - "Porsche already considering even more hardcore Cayman GT4 RS?"

What Porsche rep actualy said "This is just the beginning of the era. I would be interested in doing a Cayman GT4 RS version, but at the moment we didn't even talk about such a thing. If the customers call for something like this we could think about it."

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Mercedes naming convention has always eluded me. The only one I "understand" isd the C series. Because it rhymes with 3.

I realize it's simple but for some reason it never sticks, so I can't identify mercs by sight.

In reality, no naming convention makes any sense anymore. None at all. A lot of them used to be dependent on displacement figures, but now that engines have shrunk in size, lowering the numbers of a car's badge worries the marketing department of every car manufacturer, because it comes off sounding like a downgrade.

Even Mercedes is about to go through a huge change in naming conventions, as all SUVs will soon be called Gx. Which means no more ML or GL. So you have the G, GL, GLA and GLK right now. The GLA remains. The GLK becomes GLC. The ML will be called GLE. And the GL will be the GLS. There will also be a GLE Coupe (which will still be a 4-door...made to compete with the X6). I believe I got that correct. I'd double check, but I can't be bothered to find the document that specifies it. :p

Anyway, everyone is rushing to change everything and it's pretty fucking annoying.

They don't offer stripes from the factory on this car, so that would have to be an aftermarket decal.

I think it would have enough red accents as it is. Don't want to go overboard.

The brakes and taillights would be the exterior red accents, and on the inside I have opted for deviated stitching and seat belts in red.

For reference, here's what that looks like on a Boxster GTS.

2015-porsche-boxster-gts-interior.jpg

You can't go wrong with either, but only gorgeous cars can rock white.

GHG

It used to happen to me quite often, but hasn't done it in quite some time.. Not sure if it's a sensor issue or what, but I've taken it to the dealership when I was under warranty. They checked everything and it was fine.

When it happened to me I usually had to turn the car off then back on and it was fine.

Cool, thanks hopefully that is the case here.

What were the circumstances? I noticed the same in the work car when at high throttle (the hills here often required full throttle for that tiny engine). Shutting it down would cancel 'limp mode', but at the next hill it would beep. I think scanners like the one Alpha mentioned are affordable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't any oil consumption abnormal other than specific engines like wankels?

I was just pulling out of a junction as normal and it happened. Nothing crazy.

Bmw performance turbo engines always consume oil, but it's usually about a quart every 10,000-15,000 km. My car has gone through 3/4 of a quart in the last 500km or so. That's not normal.

Taking it to the indie in a few hours so will see what the verdict is.

Oh and Evo X. Get it in white.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
There's this house for sale on the corner of my street, and I think the real estate agent has a white Cayman, because there's this white Cayman that parks there every once in a while that is just STUNNING. The way the black air intakes and other details contrast against the white paint is just too good.

One day I'll have a white Cayman of my own...

jey_16

Banned
Wow....just pulled the trigger on an S3 sedan. Feels a bit surreal right now, never spent this much money on a car in my life!

endre

I just found these M9 concept images and thought to share:

While I do not like it when the A1 pillars on a car are not painted the same color as the body, it does look cool with the roof open. In this case, considering how thin the windshield frames are it would probably look bad when painted.

Mohonky

Remember the GTR v Z06 motor trend article ?

Interesting comments from Tadge Juechter (Chief Engineer for the Z06)

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-motor-trend-2015-z06-vs-2015-gt-r-nismo.html

Cliffs:

Vette was out of alignment
Nissan used an Octane Booster (lol)
Motor Trend has an upcoming article testing the A8 Z06, implies that it was much faster

Sounds more like they are pulling a Ferrari. If it was out of alignment, then shit job from the factory or a problem if its going to just change over time.

Octane booster is normal, many Japanese turbo vehicles will not run on less than 98ron fuel or you'll burn out the engine. Thats a pretty normal thing to do.

They've also pretty much said they went back and dialled in their suspension specifically for a re-run on that track. Are they going to let Nismo come over and fiddle with the GTR and tune it for the track as well?

negitoro7

Been driving around the last few days in a first gen Mazda 2 rental. The absolute hatred, disgust and embarrassment I have for this car cannot be fully expressed in words. How a company known for "zoom zoom" can make a car with such horrendous steering feel, and throttle and brake response is mind numbing. The lack of feeling of the aforementioned combined with the anemic power is downright frightening on the highway. The slippery plastic-feeling steering wheel requires a tight grip to not let it slip out of the hands as every pebble and groove on the road potentially throws the car off-course.

Wish I had waited for the autobody shop's courtesy cars (which includes Accords and Mazda 3s at least) instead of being at the mercy of a rental car picked out for me by Hertz and my insurance company.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Been driving around the last few days in a first gen Mazda 2 rental. The absolute hatred, disgust and embarrassment I have for this car cannot be fully expressed in words. How a company known for "zoom zoom" can make a car with such horrendous steering feel, and throttle and brake response is mind numbing. The lack of feeling of the aforementioned combined with the anemic power is downright frightening on the highway. The slippery plastic-feeling steering wheel requires a tight grip to not let it slip out of the hands as every pebble and groove on the road potentially throws the car off-course.

Wish I had waited for the autobody shop's courtesy cars (which includes Accords and Mazda 3s at least) instead of being at the mercy of a rental car picked out for me by Hertz and my insurance company.

Yeah that's their world cheap car. it's almost as bad as the fiat 500 base model.

Viperbah

Sounds more like they are pulling a Ferrari. If it was out of alignment, then shit job from the factory or a problem if its going to just change over time.

Octane booster is normal, many Japanese turbo vehicles will not run on less than 98ron fuel or you'll burn out the engine. Thats a pretty normal thing to do.

They've also pretty much said they went back and dialled in their suspension specifically for a re-run on that track. Are they going to let Nismo come over and fiddle with the GTR and tune it for the track as well?

I hope they do let the Nissan come back. They ran on 91 (91-93 octane=98ron) in the original test....Nissan added something on top of the 91.

Momentary

Banned

Which Ferrari did the GT-R go up against?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just came back from a bike ride where an F-Type V8 passed me. Right after it passed me it had to slow down for a turn, AKA it had to downshift, and oh my goodness the snap crackle pop of the exhaust nearly caused me to faint. One of the most wonderful things ever.

thanks guys. its actually not an individual color. its silverstone with full sakhir orange interior. i was initially gonna go with yas marina blue with silverstone interior, but decided last minute that it was too flashy.

i'll get better pictures and some video soon so you can judge the sound for yourself. its a conservative sound i guess, but thats what i wanted. now, however, i'm finding that to get the most out of a JB4 i need a downpipe so that should improve the sound if go in that direction in a few months.

Evo X

Looks like White is slightly leading Red if I counted the votes correctly.

Chris Harris just posted these on his Twitter, which isn't making the decision any easier. I wish I could see this car in person.

B_cB2VYWIAEmq-b.jpg:large

B_f4ak7XEAA4DDu.jpg:large

B_beitqW8AI417a.jpg:large

Yeah, but there will also be a kid who sees it in white, and then makes the association with understated sports cars and a sense of class. You've then helped this kid start to have better taste from an early age, rather than focusing on bright and shiny things as a clue for quality.

So, think of the kids man.

LOL, you guys are hilarious.

There are no plans for a GT4RS at the moment. They might consider a Cup car, but that's not street legal. Besides, I don't see where they can even position such a car. The GT4 is already pretty close to the GT3 in price and speed. If they do too little, it won't be worth the premium. If they do too much, it would get too close to or perhaps eclipse the GT3, which they would never let happen.

In the rare case that they do make one, it won't be for at least 2 years, so I could easily enjoy this now and trade up if I want to.

Carmine what? Guards Red or nothing. I don't even like red cars (unless it's a Ferrari) but red is so awesome on the Cayman.

Yeah, I always thought Red was too flashy and reserved for cars like Ferrari, but your GTS looks great. I just don't know if I want the attention, especially from the authorities.

Remember the GTR v Z06 motor trend article ?

Interesting comments from Tadge Juechter (Chief Engineer for the Z06)

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-motor-trend-2015-z06-vs-2015-gt-r-nismo.html

Cliffs:

Vette was out of alignment
Nissan used an Octane Booster (lol)
Motor Trend has an upcoming article testing the A8 Z06, implies that it was much faster

Chevy dude just sounds salty as fuck. Retuning the car specifically for that track, then demanding a rematch.

Finally here after 5 months.

16745734155_e401e288b5_c.jpg

Congrats! Did you go with DCT or manual?

Finally here after 5 months.

16745734155_e401e288b5_c.jpg

Congrats man!

Evo X, what's your gut feeling on which color to get? I'm 100% sure you're not gonna be dissatisfied with whatever color you get and the other factors that influence you on it are probably not gonna matter either once you take delivery.

Being reasonable aside, just go for the red man. It's much much much easier to keep a red car clean than a white one. I used to have a white Corolla and that thing just sucked up dust like a vacuum, whereas on my red Miata, the dust isn't that clear unless you run your finger on it. Besides, white isn't really understated either, I mean come on... the roads are black so you're still gonna stick out on the road. If you really want a understated and classy color, go for the black, that way you'll blend with the road and look classy when you go over a yellow/white strip on the road.

Also, the sun shining on that red Cayman giving the illusion of a bronze/gold rims is seriously making me drool all over my keyboard. I've been wanting to plastidip my rims into a bronze/gold color but I don't have the time to do it myself, not to mention that I suck at plastidipping so I've held off on it. My next rims are definitely gonna be bronze/gold though lol.

Evo X

Anybody need a new desktop wallpaper? This was just posted on Porsche's Facebook page.

Evo X, what's your gut feeling on which color to get? I'm 100% sure you're not gonna be dissatisfied with whatever color you get and the other factors that influence you on it are probably not gonna matter either once you take delivery.

Being reasonable aside, just go for the red man. It's much much much easier to keep a red car clean than a white one. I used to have a white Corolla and that thing just sucked up dust like a vacuum, whereas on my red Miata, the dust isn't that clear unless you run your finger on it. Besides, white isn't really understated either, I mean come on... the roads are black so you're still gonna stick out on the road. If you really want a understated and classy color, go for the black, that way you'll blend with the road and look classy when you go over a yellow/white strip on the road.

Also, the sun shining on that red Cayman giving the illusion of a bronze/gold rims is seriously making me drool all over my keyboard. I've been wanting to plastidip my rims into a bronze/gold color but I don't have the time to do it myself, not to mention that I suck at plastidipping so I've held off on it. My next rims are definitely gonna be bronze/gold though lol.

Honestly, my gut is saying white. That's why it's the color I initially ordered. I think it looks amazing with the hints of black, carbon, and red contrast on and inside the car.

Here's a picture of the optional seats I am getting. Also imagine red stitching, door straps, and seat belts instead of yellow:

The subconscious reasons I'm drawn to white:

1) I have wanted a 997 GT3 ever since I first saw it in real life 8 years ago. That particular one happened to be white so that's always stuck in my mind.

2) When I was shopping for my Evo 10 way back, I was set on getting white, but they were all sold out so I had to settle for Graphite Grey.

3) Both my Ducati and Triump motorcycles are white with hinds of red and look spectacular. I've always gotten tons of compliments when I'm out riding, especially since I have matching gear that makes me look like a Power Ranger. lol

What gen is your Miata btw? Have you ever posted pics here before? It would look pretty sick with bronze wheels.

Yeh if its between red and white i like that red much more.

The M3 is a DCT btw.

Man, I'm getting the feeling that you guys are keeping the voting results 50/50 just to troll me. lol

Viperbah

Chevy dude just sounds salty as fuck. Retuning the car specifically for that track, then demanding a rematch.

Yeah...I would like to see Nissan get a chance to do the same thing then have a rematch with the A8 Z06 with both cars running the same octane.

You should go with white, btw

Top Bottom