• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

GHG

Ah maybe that's why my issue has gone away. I change it every 5k-7k miles or so. For awhile I was relying on the car to tell me when to change it.

Yeh if you change it that often your car should run well and have minimal issues.

If you leave it 20k or more between oil changes your vanos ends up looking like this:

dsc00860rvk.jpg

This is how it should look if you do regular oil changes:

P1010046-3.jpg

mashoutposse

Ante Up
I only know Joe from Rennlist, not personally.

Are you getting a GT4?

I'd love to. I'm taking myself off the list. It looks like I'll be securing another 6-speed manual 430 Coupe (stumbled onto it literally minutes after it came on the market).

BTW, Guards Red.

Vanos will ALWAYS be an issue on BMW's as long as they keep insisting that 20k between oil changes is ok. The unit seizes up if its getting dirty oil.

Do your oil changes every 10k BMW GAF. It will save you problems in the future.

Man, if only BMW wasn't so flat out unreliable during the early 2000's. I had a chance to buy an E46 M3 a few years ago at a steal but when I started researching on it, everything I saw was VANOS seal this, VANOS seal that. And since I was a broke college student back then, there was no way I could afford it so I had to let it go.

But all's well ends well though and getting the Miata is one of the best things I've ever gotten.

Also, 20k oil change on any car is practically insane. You could technically do it in a Toyota or Honda and it would still run, but you're on the verge of blowing shit up. And to do that in a BMW? I swear, these Germans are a little kooky in their head sometimes.

Smokey

Yeh if you change it that often your car should run well and have minimal issues.

If you leave it 20k or more between oil changes your vanos ends up looking like this:

dsc00860rvk.jpg

P1010046-3.jpg

i am reminded of chocolate icing in that first pic and then i got hungry

I'd love to. I'm taking myself off the list. It looks like I'll be securing another 6-speed manual 430 Coupe (stumbled onto it literally minutes after it came on the market).

BTW, Guards Red.

so do you like...collect Ferrari's now or something?

fwoibles

Also, 20k oil change on any car is practically insane. You could technically do it in a Toyota or Honda and it would still run, but you're on the verge of blowing shit up. And to do that in a BMW? I swear, these Germans are a little kooky in their head sometimes.

Got a puny little 2.0 diesel, gets punished with a heavy car, prolonged high speeds and a lot of short rides (<3min), I change the Castrol Longlife religiously after 10000km and after every winter to get the moisture out.
Not wanting to be rude but I don't get why there could even be an expectation for a performance engine, even if it's not driven at high speeds, to not be susceptible to damages from not changing oil regularly, especially in more extreme weather.
Plus, the 20k you've given is probably miles. A oil change for higher class german cars is around 100€ if you don't go to a dealership, 200 if you do.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
so do you like...collect Ferrari's now or something?

I inadvertently found that the best way to keep the miles down is to have more than one. ;)

On a serious note, I jumped on this one due to its rarity. Beyond this, I'm not looking to expand the roster anytime soon.

Evo X

BTW, Guards Red.

I bet somebody is screaming with joy that they just moved up a notch on the GT4 list. haha.

6 Speed F430s are unicorns! Glad you found one. I considered getting one for a short time as one of my friend's bought one last year and loves it. But then again, he has 4 other cars to drive and rarely takes it out.

The biggest reason I'm getting the GT4 over a used higher end car in the same price range is because of the piece of mind of warranty and reasonable maintenance & daily driveability. I also love the Cayman chassis and am happy they finally stepped up the rest of the components to do it justice. It's also as fast around the Nurburgring as your F430 Scuderia. You gotta admit, that's pretty impressive!

Just crossing my fingers to hear of a guaranteed allocation slot soon.

Based on your car history, it's not surprising you voted for Red. lol

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, does anyone have access to the BMW employee discount here? I noticed the Mini USA site updated with a configurator for the 2015 John Cooper Works... goddamn, those prices...

I now totally understand why people pay loads of money to get their car the full detail.

I washed, clayed, polished and waxed my Miata today... started at 1PM and finished at 5PM. My back fncking hurts like hell, and I'm sooo drained from the 4 hours I don't even feel like doing anything else. I just wanna lay in bed and watch TV or whatever. It doesn't help that I hand-polished and waxed it... and I didn't even get to detail my interior either!

Ugh, either I'm gonna get a orbital buffer next time or pay some dude to do everything. I mean I enjoyed playing with the clay and stuff but everything else can go down the toilet lol.

lem0n

I now totally understand why people pay loads of money to get their car the full detail.

I washed, clayed, polished and waxed my Miata today... started at 1PM and finished at 5PM. My back fncking hurts like hell, and I'm sooo drained from the 4 hours I don't even feel like doing anything else. I just wanna lay in bed and watch TV or whatever. It doesn't help that I hand-polished and waxed it... and I didn't even get to detail my interior either!

Ugh, either I'm gonna get a orbital buffer next time or pay some dude to do everything. I mean I enjoyed playing with the clay and stuff but everything else can go down the toilet lol.

Now imagine doing that on something monstrous, like an F10 M5 or something. Then think of detailing every day to make a living. OUCH, lol.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

My detailer spent 10 hours+ on my M56S. LOL

I used to spend 6 hours on my 370Z. It was brutal. Back and arms are just in a world of hell once your done and for days after.

Evo X

Man, hand washing and drying my cars is a taxing exercise. No way would I attempt a detail!

One of my best friend's has been doing it professionally for years, so I let him take care of it. He has all the necessary tools and body build for it. A high quality job should have the car looking great for the year so I don't mind spending the money.

AlphaSnake

Man, hand washing and drying my cars is a taxing exercise. No way would I attempt a detail!

One of my best friend's has been doing it professionally for years, so I let him take care of it. He has all the necessary tools and body build for it. A high quality job should have the car looking great for the year so I don't mind spending the money.

Speaking of body build...

Every high-end detailer I know is 5'5 or shorter. :|

I'm talking like 5-6 examples.

Now imagine doing that on something monstrous, like an F10 M5 or something. Then think of detailing every day to make a living. OUCH, lol.

Ugh. I feel sorry for whoever has to detail a true monster like an SUV or truck. If it's a pro, then hopefully they're charging the right price, but if it's just you or somebody inexperienced, just save yourself the trouble lol.

My detailer spent 10 hours+ on my M56S. LOL

I used to spend 6 hours on my 370Z. It was brutal. Back and arms are just in a world of hell once your done and for days after.

10+ hours?! How much do you pay him? One of the detailing shops I know charge somewhere around $300 for the exterior and interior. They're also a waterless wash so I have no clue how they're staying in business.

I'm glad claying/polishing is a twice a year thing, but I honestly don't even know if I'm gonna go for a second time. I mean it seems like my paint is still pristine as fnck for a 10 year old car... I didn't really pick up any visible dirt, oxidation, or whatever when I clayed it. There was a couple of spots especially in the fender and skirts, but besides those it seemed pretty good to me. I was actually even debating on whether I should still polish it or just wax instead. I went for the polish since I bought it but same results, I didn't see a visible difference. Then again, it was pretty cloudy when I got done.

And to think I just wanted to wash it just to get rid of the salt/brine/salt mixture from the winter storm last week. It's already been 6 hours, 3 pills of Aleve and my back still hurts like hell lol.

Evo X

We need pics of your efforts jong.

That is, if you still have the arm strength left to lift a camera. lol

Speaking of body build...

Every high-end detailer I know is 5'5 or shorter. :|

I'm talking like 5-6 examples.

Ha! Never noticed this, but you're right. My friend is ~5'6".

TylerD

dsc00860rvk.jpg

P1010046-3.jpg

I was pleased to see that cams and vanos on my first and second engines were very clean when I did the valve cover gaskets. I do 7k mile changes with Liqui Moly. Have a slight bit of vanos rattle on the second but it's not as bad as the first.

Smokey

You have an out of warranty BMW.

Do it.

I feel the same but then it likely means giving up luxuries like the heads up display and leather dash.

Unless I get another BMW...

Probably a smart choice. Out of warranty European cars can quickly empty your wallet.

What's the budget and cars you're considering?

I am fortunate that I literally live two blocks from my office so I don't put a lot of wear and tear on the car, and do my best to stay on top of maintenance. Also when I leave the house there is a German shop (services Porsche/BMW/Merc) a block away. Because of these two things I'm not all that concerned about maintenance. I walk to work half the time anyway. Currently sitting at 88.5k miles.

It's mostly me just whining tbh lol. I'd love to get a new one but timing isn't quite right at the moment.

I think I am going to actually double up on my monthly payments. If I do that I will be note free by Jan 2016.

That means no Titan X doe ;__;

AlphaSnake

Ugh. I feel sorry for whoever has to detail a true monster like an SUV or truck. If it's a pro, then hopefully they're charging the right price, but if it's just you or somebody inexperienced, just save yourself the trouble lol.

10+ hours?! How much do you pay him? One of the detailing shops I know charge somewhere around $300 for the exterior and interior. They're also a waterless wash so I have no clue how they're staying in business.

It was $400. It's his standard detail, before he starts applying things like Crystal Serum (which lasts for years, and repels dust and water). The detail got rid of like 95% of swirling. The car looked immaculate, especially since it is black with a soft clear coat.

10410276_10152769383348644_1438852194216920861_n.jpg

I like that blacked out grill, it's a nice touch.

Last time I had the 911 detailed all it did was point out that yes, the paint is, in fact, 33 years old. At some point I'll spend the $$$$ to have it repainted but for now I'm enjoying driving it without worrying about rock chips and the like.

Evo X

Looks great monogram!

You should do a write up of a comparison between that and your E92 M.

I personally think the biggest upgrade by far was the interior.

I am fortunate that I literally live two blocks from my office so I don't put a lot of wear and tear on the car, and do my best to stay on top of maintenance. Also when I leave the house there is a German shop (services Porsche/BMW/Merc) a block away. Because of these two things I'm not all that concerned about maintenance. I walk to work half the time anyway. Currently sitting at 88.5k miles.

It's mostly me just whining tbh lol. I'd love to get a new one but timing isn't quite right at the moment.

I think I am going to actually double up on my monthly payments. If I do that I will be note free by Jan 2016.

YOLO brah. Screw the Titan X.

I've got deposits for the GT4 at two dealerships. If they both pan out, you should take one of the slots.

Live beyond your means like a true American!

Figuring out how to pay for all that shit is a problem for future Smokey. lol

TylerD

Makes such a huge difference. I love living so close (3 minute walk) to my office and if my shit breaks down I can borrow the company Quest with the CVT to get to the store/gym or where ever.

mkenyon

Banned

As much as I want all your old parts, you don't really need to upgrade breh. Waiting for something like the 1080s and getting twice the power for the money is the sane way to go.

Then you can get to the point of being payment free, put some money into your bank, and get that Cayman GT4, Stingray, or whatever else.

AlphaSnake

I like that blacked out grill, it's a nice touch.

Thanks. It looks really menacing. I had the whole grille blacked out, but left the emblem alone. Now the logo looks like it's floating and the small chrome contrast is so beautiful against the black.

Smokey

YOLO brah. Screw the Titan X.

I've got deposits for the GT4 at two dealerships. If they both pan out, you should take one of the slots.

Live beyond your means like a true American!

Figuring out how to pay for all that shit is a problem for future Smokey. lol

LOL

Makes such a huge difference. I love living so close (3 minute walk) to my office and if my shit breaks down I can borrow the company Quest with the CVT to get to the store/gym or where ever.

Yeah I don't ever see myself having a commute greater than say 10 minutes or so again. It used to take me a minimum of 1hr to get work in the morning and more than that to get home. That's at least 40 hours a week of sitting in traffic a month. Nahhhh.

As much as I want all your old parts, you don't really need to upgrade breh. Waiting for something like the 1080s and getting twice the power for the money is the sane way to go.

Then you can get to the point of being payment free, put some money into your bank, and get that Cayman GT4, Stingray, or whatever else.

I have never been sane about PC ;_;

I am itching for something new. Everything you said makes absolute sense but I know that when next week comes...and they get put up on Egg/EVGA/Amazon...my finger is going to start twitching lol

mkenyon

Banned
My drive to work is about 25 minutes right now, but I only go through two stoplights. My wife and I joke that "morning rush hour" means we had to slow down for a deer crossing the road.

I'd prefer it be way shorter, but that's the price for the rural life.

Evo X

Ha!I got you all beat when it comes to work commute.

It takes me about 8 seconds to walk down the hall from my bedroom to my office.

Bonus: I also get to work in my underwear. Bet ya can't say the same. Lol

About two years ago, I had a gig where I had to commute from the suburbs to downtown Chicago. Between the trains and buses I had to take, I probably spent about 3 hours a day just getting there and back. Fuck that shit. Never again.

No Love

Banned

About two years ago, I had a gig where I had to commute from the suburbs to downtown Chicago. Between the trains and buses I had to take, I probably spent about 3 hours a day just getting there and back. Fuck that shit. Never again.

I drive 2 minutes to work and most of my employees are hot 19-20 year old girls. I also get to smoke weed all day.

Batter up!

TheContact

Ugh this 2005 c240 is the worst car I've ever owned. In less than 3 years I've had to replace:
6 fuel injectors
Fuel pump and filter
Cam and crank shaft
6 spark plugs
Timing belt (about the only normal wear and tear repair)
Purge valve
Purge hose
And now Mercedes is saying my shutoff valve is leaking

I could have bought a brand new car and it would have been cheaper than all the repairs I've done to this piece of shit. Can't even get it inspected because once I fix something then skmething else breaks. I learned my lesson by not doing research before buying this thing.

Once I sell this thing after I can afford to fix it, I need to get a good family car/suv. Any recommendations as far as reliability? Was going to get the Honda fit subcompact but people saying it's too small especially since my wife has a second baby coming along

mkenyon

Banned
I drive 2 minutes to work and most of my employees are hot 19-20 year old girls. I also get to smoke weed all day.

Batter up!
So, you hiring?

The dream!

AlphaSnake

Sup

Evo X

Batter up!

The fuck? Are you a porn producer?

The dream!

You know it! I also have a GAF tab open almost all the time. It's pretty sweet, although not massively productive. lol

Setting my own schedule is nice too. I just got back from a 90 minute weight lifting session in the middle of the work day. Unfortunately, I had to put on clothes for that. People do not approve of me working out naked for some strange reason.

High five!

Now for the true test. Are you part of the boxer brief master race or one of those tighty whitey weirdos?

AlphaSnake

High five!

Now for the true test. Are you part of the boxer brief master race or one of those tighty whitey weirdos?

LMAO. I'm usually in basketball shorts and a tee. Never know when FedEx or UPS knocks to drop off a package that has to be signed.

Evo X

LMAO. I'm usually in basketball shorts and a tee. Never know when FedEx or UPS knocks to drop off a package that has to be signed.

This is how most pornos start. Maybe you can star in one of NoLove's new movies.

A little side income never hurt nobody.

mkenyon

Banned
Self employed too, and I typically end up wearing my running clothes in the afternoon. I take my dog for a 3-5 mile run for my lunch. Rain or shine!

Evo X

Just when I thought I was decidedly on TeamRed, I see this picture.

Porsche-Cayman-GT4-review-xlarge.jpg

God Damnit GAF, if I can't even decide on a car color, how the hell am I going to decide what woman to marry?

Also, if you think I am posting way too much GT4 shit, you can tell me to STFU. I won't mind.

Lol y'all are gonna hate me. I just finished school 2 months ago for radio/tv and I haven't really gotten a gig even though DFW is one of the top 10 markets both for sectors so I'm doing a part time valet gig at the airport.

It's a decent gig really. Let's just say I never work overtime but still have the ability to pay my bills as well as save enough cash to buy car parts haha.

The moment I get an actual full time gig though, I'm outta here lol. It's kinda fun but you never drive the high end cars. No Teslas, Porsches or anything above 70k really.

Also I'll post the pics later. I'm already at work and won't get off until 10.

mkenyon

Banned
Like I said, it's picking which Davalos sister to take home. You're gonna be happy no matter what you do.

That being said, the reason why that pic is extra gorgeous is because of the background and lighting.

Evo X

Like I said, it's picking which Davalos sister to take home. You're gonna be happy no matter what you do.

That being said, the reason why that pic is extra gorgeous is because of the background and lighting.

I want to take them both home though.

Also, I love that rainbow oil spill effect in the headlights. I remember seeing some Astons with that. A polarizing lens I believe.

AlphaSnake

This is how most pornos start. Maybe you can star in one of NoLove's new movies.

A little side income never hurt nobody.

All of the delivery people here are men. :(

I have to wait until wifey gets home. LOL

Top Bottom