• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, kid is going to make some bad decisions while driving that probably. I know I made plenty of bad decisions when I was behind the wheel of a fast car between 16-22. But those weren't McLaren fast. Except for this Cutlass my neighbor used to let me drive. That did 10 second 1/4 miles :p
Get him a miata or a caterham, not a 900 horsepower hypercar.

He's 16 for crying out loud.
I'm probably being defensive because my parents bought me a brand new Wrangler, I used inheritance from my Grandpa on giving it a 4" lift with 32" tires. Then my folks later bought me a WRX.

I never felt like I didn't appreciate what I had though. I was an auto enthusiast through and through, worked on all sorts of stuff with my neighbor, including installing said lift kit on my Wrangler, as well as the go fast parts on my Rex.

I'm just sayin', maybe the kid has rules and regulations about driving it. I'm an optimist though.

Evo X

The latter. I wish my parents had that kind of money to buy me shit. LOL

Yeah, I've been working since I was 12 years old to be able to buy shit. Not gonna complain because I am sure I am better off for it as it has taught me the value of earning things through hard work.

On the other hand though, if I was given a fucking McLaren for free , I don't think I'd turn it down. Screw moral high ground in that case. lol

Maybe the kid is a hardcore auto enthusiast that has been doing legit Kart racing since he was a lad?

Give 'em the benefit of the doubt, IMO.

That could very well be the case.

This is his Instagram:

https://instagram.com/graycars/

His profile says" Drive a mclaren p1. Car Connoisseur. Grateful for it all. Follow for more"

Everything is set to private unless you login. I don't have an account, but if you do you can follow him and see his posts. Let us know if there's anything illuminating.

Yeah, kid is going to make some bad decisions while driving that probably. I know I made plenty of bad decisions when I was behind the wheel of a fast car between 16-22. But those weren't McLaren fast. Except for this Cutlass my neighbor used to let me drive. That did 10 second 1/4 miles :p

This is almost a certainty. Undeveloped frontal cortex + testosterone + peer pressure + 1,000HP = recipe for disaster.

Man, the stupid shit I did in my Evo and M3 when I was his age. I'm surprised I have a clean driving record. In fact, I am surprised I am still alive. No matter how skilled I'd like to think I am, I am sure that was all because of my sheer dumb luck and Valentine One. lol

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, I've been working since I was 12 years old to be able to buy shit. Not gonna complain because I am sure I am better off for it as it has taught me the value of earning things through hard work.

On the other hand though, if I was given a fucking McLaren for free , I don't think I'd turn it down. Screw moral high ground in that case. lol

For real.

Same here with me. Starting writing about videogames when I was 13 years old. Started the largest indy PlayStation site on the interwebs back in the late 90s, and it's still around today (though I don't write anymore). I've been working for damn near 18 years.

I want a P1.

In other news, my brother just ordered a Rosso Mars Huracan.

Untitled-36.jpg

It'll be delivered early June. He's going to have Lambo wrap it Nero matte, just like this:

4-1407496540.jpg

You could order the entire car painted Nero Nemesis. But dealers advise against that, because matte is not a preference everyone likes. And it's also $15K extra from the factory. Where as if the Lambo dealer does it (Lamborghini Long Island), it's only $6K and it can always be removed in case a future buyer prefers the red. So they advised to order it in a desired color such as red, and wrap it.

I look forward to driving this thing. I'll be in New York when he takes delivery.

Evo X

For real.

Same here with me. Starting writing about videogames when I was 13 years old. Started the largest indy PlayStation site on the interwebs back in the late 90s, and it's still around today (though I don't write anymore). I've been working for damn near 18 years.

I want a P1.

In other news, my brother just ordered a Rosso Mars Huracan.

Untitled-36.jpg

It'll be delivered early June. He's going to have Lambo wrap it Nero matte, just like this:

4-1407496540.jpg

You could order the entire car painted Nero Nemesis. But dealers advise against that, because matte is not a preference everyone likes. And it's also $15K extra from the factory. Where as if the Lambo dealer does it (Lamborghini Long Island), it's only $6K and it can always be removed in case a future buyer prefers the red. So they advised to order it in a desired color such as red, and wrap it.

I look forward to driving this thing. I'll be in New York when he takes delivery.

Nice. My first business was a website as well, but focusing on cars, not games. It was pretty big until YouTube came along and destroyed my business model.

Are you the younger brother by any chance? It seems our families are quite similar. I wonder if my brother will trade in his R8 for a Huracan too.

AlphaSnake

Nice. My first business was a website as well, but focusing on cars, not games. It was pretty big until YouTube came along and destroyed my business model.

Are you the younger brother by any chance? It seems our families are quite similar. I wonder if my brother will trade in his R8 for a Huracan too.

Yeah, I'm the younger brother.

Evo X

Chris Harris has a great 14 minute summary and show floor walk around of all the cool stuff at Geneva.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ns3XEkpsc

Says press will get to drive the GT4 later this week, with GT3RS tests coming sometime in May. Should be exciting.

Yeah, I'm the younger brother.

What does your brother do if you don't mind me asking?

On another tangent, fuck being the youngest sibling. We have an uphill battle to success.

http://www.businessinsider.com/first-born-children-smarter-and-more-successful-2014-6

AlphaSnake

Chris Harris has a great 14 minute summary and show floor walk around of all the cool stuff at Geneva.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ns3XEkpsc

Says press will get to drive the GT4 later this week, with GT3RS tests coming sometime in May. Should be exciting.

What does your brother do if you don't mind me asking?

On another tangent, fuck being the youngest sibling. We have an uphill battle to success.

http://www.businessinsider.com/first-born-children-smarter-and-more-successful-2014-6

He made most of his money running a digital advertising business that was later purchased by BandsInTown. I'm in the same business, although purely mobile advertising, as a founder/part owner and operations exec. But he owns almost a majority of this company as well. LOL

And seriously, fuck being the younger sibling. I always feel like I'm in his shadows. Probably one of the reasons why I packed my shit and moved to Florida. Although, I can say, with FULL certainty, that I am smarter than my older brother is in almost every way. He's just extremely business savvy. He's actually a bit of a dummy a lot of times.

I agree about the Accord V6... it's fast for a midsize coupe. Too bad it's $30 grand for one. At that point you might as well buy a WRX, and not only is it gonna be faster, it's AWD too.

Anyway, don't they always test cars up here in NA? I know Mazda always tests out their cars here and their closest factory is south of the border.

That said I do kinda hope that Honda brings this to NA since another sole European creation is also coming to the US. Imagine the 2nd coming of the hot hatch era... Mazdaspeed3/6, Focus ST/RS, Civic Type R, Golf GTI, and the Cooper S... that'd be some fun daily drivers.

Meh...

Kid doesn't know the feeling of buying shit with your own money, working your ass off for it, the blood, sweat and cussing when you're working on it, and of course the feeling when you fix it right and driving it like a maniac whether it be on the track or somewhere illegal lol.

Besides, as fast as the P1 is with all it's nannies, the drivers skill dictates the kind of driving you can bring out of it. Let him go against the street racers of SoCal. If he can actually beat them by a country mile then I might feel jealous. But as it is, he's just a kid with no sense of car culture or the real world.

I hope they at least bring the engine to NA in the Si or something. There are also rumors of a revived S2k which would goddam incredible with that engine and a RWD power train.

I wonder if Honda is bullshitting with that 7:50 nurburgring time... If not it's pretty impressive

Evo X

Yo, Alpha. The new episode of Supercar Superbuild on Discovery channel was about the Huracan if you and your brother wanna check it out.

There are also rumors of a revived S2k which would goddam incredible with that engine and a RWD power train.

I don't want a turbo motor in the next S2K. A large part of its appeal was it's high revving, quick throttle response engine. It suits the personality of a sharp steering lightweight car like that.

I would love a revived S2K with N/A power levels similar to an E46 M3.

I don't want a turbo motor in the next S2K. A large part of its appeal was it's high revving, quick throttle response engine. It suits the personality of a sharp steering lightweight car like that.

I don't necessarily agree. Putting a turbo on it would only further exaggerate it's negative characteristics, but if they do it right and have the turbo in the 3k-8k power band then they could technically create something that'd be great. A lot of the turbo Miata's in existence have their tune set up like that, gutless below 2k but the moment it hits 2500, it's gone batshit insane up to close to the redline lol. AFAIK, it's the only proper way to keep the Miata's neutral handling characteristics, otherwise it'd be an S2k with it's terrible lift-off oversteer sending you into a tree or ditch.

So I looked up this supposed S2K revival... Coutesy of Autoexpress in May 2014.

Honda is set for a massive transformation from sensible to sporty, and leading the revolution are three new sports cars, which include a spiritual successor to the S2000 and an all-new NSX.

Like the original Honda S2000, this mid-engined sports car – revealed in our exclusive image - is set to be a coupe rather than a convertible and it will sit in the middle of the three cars.

A Honda insider told us about a secret in-house meeting at Honda's Tochigi R&D centre in Japan to discuss the potential for this new mid-sized sports car, which would be part of the world’s first-ever mid-engined trio of sports cars from one manufacturer. From what we’ve heard, there’s a strong chance this new Honda S2000 will get the green light.

The Honda S2000 is similar in looks to the S660 and NSX, with all three cars getting sharp lines, a bold grille and narrow headlights giving them a character unlike any of Honda’s current models.

Under the skin of the new Honda S2000, we’ve been told to expect a revised version of the 2.0-litre 350bhp turbo engine, which will power the next generation Honda Civic Type R.

Some hybrid tech - developed in conjunction with the McLaren Formula 1 team - should also feature and it's set to allow for 0-62mph in around five seconds, but with an economy of around 40mpg.

Honda is looking at adding a simplified version of the all-wheel-drive petrol-electric system used in the NSX.

The mid-size Honda S2000 replacement will be the last of Honda's three new sports cars to arrive and it's expected to go on sale in 2017 for around £35,000. The new Honda NSX is expected to arrive by the first part of 2015, making it the first of the new models to go into production.

£35K in American dollars is $54K... the last time you could get an S2k from a Honda dealer was in 2009 and the price at that point was around $35k I believe.

I actually would be very surprised if this gets the green light. At $54K they're reaching Cayman levels of pricing. Nobody in their right mind would buy a $54K Honda when they can spend the same amount for a Porsche. They're better off competing against the RX-9 or the 390Z at $40K if they want this to succeed.

fwoibles

lem0n

I'm thinking about picking up a '89 Corolla GT-S AE92. White, manual, 155k, clean. Cheap. Any aftermarket for these? Are they good to drive? My girl wants a car with flip up headlights like my Miata, and she loves Initial D so this is the closest to an AE86 I could find.

Thoughts? I know it's FWD, heh.

Almost identical to this one, and just as clean:

Toyota_Corolla_GT-S.jpg

ameratsu

I'm thinking about picking up a '89 Corolla GT-S AE92. White, manual, 155k, clean. Cheap. Any aftermarket for these? Are they good to drive? My girl wants a car with flip up headlights like my Miata, and she loves Initial D so this is the closest to an AE86 I could find.

Thoughts? I know it's FWD, heh.

Almost identical to this one, and just as clean:

Toyota_Corolla_GT-S.jpg

I had an AE92 SR5 as my first car. They're amazingly reliable and cheap to run. The only strike against would be if it has the time-period burgandy interior, like your example pic, as those got horribly faded after a decade and look absolutely awful.

Taborcarn

My first car was a base model '89 Corolla, with the same burgundy interior and a cherry exterior to match. Bought it from a friend of my grandmother's for a song. By far the most boring car of any of my friends but it got me reliably through high school and all of college until my graduation in '04, when the carburetor pretty much disintegrated.

FStop7

Banned
I think the S2000 might be my favorite of all the cars I've owned. For context, I've had old school 5.0L Mustangs, a 4.6L Cobra, a worked Evo IX, E46 M3, E90 M3, and E63 M6.

The S2000 had the best shifter of any car I've owned and the best of any I've driven, full stop, except for the 997 GT3. The seats were super comfortable. I drove from Atlanta to NYC in pouring rain and was never once uncomfortable. Zero convertible top leaks. The engine required zero attention save for oil changes. Zero rattles. Zero squeaks. I had a MY 2002, when it still had the 9k redline. It was definitely not a straight line contender, but it was outstanding on the mountain roads. And I think it cost all of $19k, back in 2005...

Corgi

Banned
thinking of maybe getting a new car. family situations of that I need to occasionally take grandparents around... and BRZ isn't the easiest car for old people to get into. Usually I drive the sedan in the house for this.. but brother is heading off to college this year and is taking that.

looking for something 4 doors. fun. some power, automatic (no family/friends can drive stick). 30k max. rwd or awd. low maintenance cost.

Looking at '15 wrx (curious about "performance tuned" cvt), used infiniti G35/37/Q40(?), anything else worth having an eye on atm?

No Love

Banned
thinking of maybe getting a new car. family situations of that I need to occasionally take grandparents around... and BRZ isn't the easiest car for old people to get into. Usually I drive the sedan in the house for this.. but brother is heading off to college this year and is taking that.

looking for something 4 doors. fun. some power, automatic (no family/friends can drive stick). 30k max. rwd or awd. low maintenance cost.

Looking at '15 wrx (curious about "performance tuned" cvt), used infiniti G35/37/Q40(?), anything else worth having an eye on atm?

Used Lexus IS-F. They can be had for $28-35k.

mkenyon

Banned

Those are the *exact* two cars I debated between myself, and all that I would suggest in that price range.
Used Lexus IS-F. They can be had for $28-35k.
Or that.

Seriously? 28k? how many miles?

TylerD

My parents bought my first 3 vehicles and I was very grateful. My first 944 saw more action off-road than my Grand Cherokee. I grew up close to the city lake and there was a gravel road that I would use for "rally driving". 4 teenagers in a 944 on a gravel road was probably not the best idea in the world. I almost ended up in the trees or the lake on many occasions but it was a riot.

There was a 3 mile straight stretch of highway that I used for some high speed runs in my 944 Turbo.

The stupidest thing I have been involved with was a 130-140mph run in a frat brother's 02 F-150 Lightning on the way back from a "brotherhood" event at a strip club 80 miles from school. Driver definitely above the legal limit and both passengers drunk. I was sitting bitch. He would call me to come pick him up from class every once in a while and I loved to make that thing whine.

No Love

Banned
Those are the *exact* two cars I debated between myself, and all that I would suggest in that price range.

Or that.

Seriously? 28k? how many miles?

This is a terrible idea.

All of the IS-F's on cars.com under $30K are almost 8 years old and have high mileage. I doubt that is going to fit into his "low maintenance cost" criteria.

Not a terrible idea at all. Lexus IS-F's are known to go 200k miles with minor maintenance. I remember one guy writing that all he replaced were the shocks and spark plugs. It's a fucking Toyota and the build quality is extremely high.

I've seen one with 80k miles for $28k before. Clean title, two owner. I regularly see them with 50-80k miles for $32-34k.

AlphaSnake

Infiniti. For that money it'll be reliable. Plenty of power. Newer model. Low mileage. Will include tech toys

AlphaSnake

Do you think a G37 or an M45 would be a better buy? Or can M56's be had for $30k?

M45 is an old car by now. You can easily find them, but they're outdated aesthetically.

You can find some M56s in the high 30s, but the ones I've seen were either extremely high mileage, accidents, or both. But then again, good luck trying to find the car in the first place.

In entire country, right now, there are only 90 M56s listed. A lot are either base or AWD, which lack desirability.

To put how few 90 is into perspective. There are 288 Ferrari F430s listed across the country.

LOL

AlphaSnake

I almost didn't believe you and had to take a look myself.

Wow.

How are those not more popular?

Low production volumes. You can find plenty of M37s, but the 56 was always a rare car.

I think the FX50 is even more rare. Only 67 for sale in the USA.

Corgi

Banned
infiniti cars are always a bitch to keep track of (doesn't help that their sedans look roughly the same at a glance). So the M's are their midsize or fullsize sedans?

What does that translate to the new ones... q70? Or is that the coupe...

rokkerkory

With the UK price being announced (£17,595) do we have a guess as to what the US price will be?

Torn between waiting for this (if it isnt too pricey) and buying a Mazda3 now.

Haha I am in the same boat! But I wanna wait until CX-3 prices are unveiled.

Likely to be similar in pricing to 3's hatchback pricing.

mkenyon

Banned
infiniti cars are always a bitch to keep track of (doesn't help that their sedans look roughly the same at a glance). So the M's are their midsize or fullsize sedans?

M is the 5 series competitor. It's now the Q50.

Q40/50/70 are the sedans, would be the 3/5/7 Series for BMW.

Q60 is the coupe version of the Q40.

Throw an X after a Q and you get to the crossover/suv line. But this is where it starts to make zero sense.

QX50, despite being 50, is the Crossover/Hatchback version of the Q40.

QX60 is that pseudo minivan thingie.

QX70 is the old FX.

QX80 is the big Titan-based SUV.

I have a feeling that it's nonsensical for the sake of not mirroring BMW. They should have just bit the bullet and mirrored BMW.

AlphaSnake

M=Q70. It's the 5-series competitor.

M is the 5 series competitor. It's now the Q50.

Q40/50/70 are the sedans, would be the 3/5/7 Series for BMW.

M=Q70.

The Q50 is the 3-series/C-Class/A4 competitor. Although it's actually a split between them and the 5-Series/E-Class/XF/A6 in size.

The Q40 will be discontinued soon enough, it's the old G37. Infiniti keeps it around an entry level model until the Q30 arrives.

Evo X

First reviews of the GT4 are starting to come out. They mention a ram air effect that adds 10% more power when the car is at speed and say it definitely pulls harder than a Carrerra S so the 385HP estimate is VERY conservative.

http://driving.ca/reviews/road-test/first-drive-2015-porsche-cayman-gt4

There are also a bunch of new pictures from the press event in Portugal.

Guys, help me decide a color! I like the Sapphire Blue, but have already owned 2 blue cars so I feel I should switch it up.

I placed an order for White because it's a classic GT color and I've wanted a white car for a while. Should I stick with it or change to something else?

img_4575-1.jpg

img_4560-1.jpg

img_4524-1.jpg

916579d1425578582-allocations-pca-2.jpg

img_4562-1.jpg

img_4567-1.jpg

916578d1425578582-allocations-pca-1.jpg

916582d1425578582-allocations-pca-5.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
White seems fitting. But I'm not huge on vibrant red in general. Unless it accents a base of white, then it's hawt. Like Type-Rs.

Rengoku

First reviews of the GT4 are starting to come out. They mention a ram air effect that adds 10% more power when the car is at speed and say it definitely pulls harder than a Carrerra S so the 385HP estimate is VERY conservative.

Guys, help me decide a color! I like the Sapphire Blue, but have already owned 2 blue cars so I feel I should switch it up.

I placed an order for White because it's a classic GT color and I've wanted a white car for a while. Should I stick with it or change to something else?

Dude! Carmine Red! It looks soo good on the GT4!

gt4red.jpg

DasRaven

Keeping the already ridiculous Big Reds? Carmine red, Carrera white, GT Silver (my choice).

Opting for PCCB? Sapphire Blue or Racing yellow.

Can someone help me out with the car buying process?

My car is here, so any day now I will be heading over to pick it up, but I've never bought a car before, and i want to expedite things at the dealer by completing certain things before I even get there.

I don't have any insurance now. Haven't had a car for months so I cancelled my insurance months back. Just use my company car now.
Can I go to an insurance agent(Geico for example) and buy insurance for the car before I've even bought it?

For financing I want to go through PenFed. How does that work? I call them up, get approved, and they wire money to the dealer once I give the call? Or is sending a check next day more typical? I've actually been preapproved already but don't know how to procede now since I haven't gotten a call from the dealer yet.

I guess registration is last. I assume the dealer will give me temp plates and I can drive over to the DMV and get it registered?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Put me in for a vote for white. Caymans just look so good in white.

AlphaSnake

Can someone help me out with the car buying process?

My car is here, so any day now I will be heading over to pick it up, but I've never bought a car before, and i want to expedite things at the dealer by completing certain things before I even get there.

I don't have any insurance now. Haven't had a car for months so I cancelled my insurance months back. Just use my company car now.
Can I go to an insurance agent(Geico for example) and buy insurance for the car before I've even bought it?

For financing I want to go through PenFed. How does that work? I call them up, get approved, and they wire money to the dealer once I give the call? Or is sending a check next day more typical? I've actually been preapproved already but don't know how to procede now since I haven't gotten a call from the dealer yet.

I guess registration is last. I assume the dealer will give me temp plates and I can drive over to the DMV and get it registered?

Call up Geico, get your last policy reinstated with the new VIN number of your car. You tell them when you're planning to pick the car up and they'll date your insurance policy to be effective on that date or 24 hours earlier, just in case. Also, make sure you're happy with the price quote. If not, shop around and get some other quotes, but same process applies.

Yes, you buy the policy before you buy the car. If you don't end up getting the car, you'll get a full refund instantly.

Regarding financing, that you'll have to work out with the bank and dealership. Some will prefer to directly talk to the dealer. Others will give you the check with the full funds.

GHG

So I got into my x6 (n63 engine) yesterday morning, let it do the usual 30 second warm up cycle and drive off. Literally 30 seconds later I get the warning sound and Idrive is telling me "engine fault, reduced power, safe to continue, drive moderately". So I go easy and get it to work ok, making sure the car up shifts at around 2k rpm or before but my god did the car feel sluggish.

Then I get in the car to go home later in the day and the car is fine, no warnings, no sluggishness but I still drive it moderately just in case because I was paranoid the thing would crap out on me on the way home.

After doing some research it looks like it could be a common issue with the fuel injectors but the only difference I've noticed with the car over the last few weeks is a slightly higher than usual rate of engine oil consumption. Fuel consumption has also been a bit higher than usual as well. Both of which could point to a whole host of other issues. What annoys me is I had my first service out of warranty (which ran out at the start of Jan) about 3 weeks ago and I've never had any problems with this car over the last 12 months until I took it in for that and they said a bunch of things needed changing to the tune of $2,000 and now this. I can't help but suspect something fishy is going on.

Taking it to a highly recommended indie here tomorrow (no way am I taking it back to the crooks at bmw here) but just wanted to ask some advise from any of you guys who might have owned BMWs before.

Even if the warning has disappeared and all seems normal for now it could point towards an underlying problem right? Would they be able to see why I got the reduced power warning previously by hooking the car up to the computer and running diagnostics?

Smokey? Anyone else?

AlphaSnake

So I got into my x6 (n63 engine) yesterday morning, let it do the usual 30 second warm up cycle and drive off. Literally 30 seconds later I get the warning sound and Idrive is telling me "engine fault, reduced power, safe to continue, drive moderately". So I go easy and get it to work ok, making sure the car up shifts at around 2k rpm or before but my god did the car feel sluggish.

Then I get in the car to go home later in the day and the car is fine, no warnings, no sluggishness but I still drive it moderately just in case because I was paranoid the thing would crap out on me on the way home.

After doing some research it looks like it could be a common issue with the fuel injectors but the only difference I've noticed with the car over the last few weeks is a slightly higher than usual rate of engine oil consumption. Fuel consumption has also been a bit higher than usual as well. Both of which could point to a whole host of other issues. What annoys me is I had my first service out of warranty (which ran out at the start of Jan) about 3 weeks ago and I've never had any problems with this car over the last 12 months until I took it in for that and they said a bunch of things needed changing to the tune of $2,000 and now this. I can't help but suspect something fishy is going on.

Taking it to a highly recommended indie here tomorrow (no way am I taking it back to the crooks at bmw here) but just wanted to ask some advise from any of you guys who might have owned BMWs before.

Even if the warning has disappeared and all seems normal for now it could point towards an underlying problem right? Would they be able to see why I got the reduced power warning previously by hooking the car up to the computer and running diagnostics?

Smokey? Anyone else?

Yes. The code stays logged in the ECU. A BMW scanner will pick it up.

Top Bottom