• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

One of the dealers got back to me. The one where I was #3 on the list. Gave me my money back and wished me luck.

Last month he thought he was getting 10. Turns out he's only getting one. Fail.

Sonnen Porsche in San Francisco has 20 orders. They are also getting a single one.

Non 918 selling dealers in the country are getting ZERO.

Other dealer I had a deposit with told me he can't tell me anything new since allocations are not final for them. The two 918 owners from that dealership didn't order one, but opted to take a GT3RS instead.

Oh well, whatever happens I'm cool. It's just a car. Not the end of the world. If I can't get it, I'll take my money elsewhere. Not like I'm lacking options with a $120,000 budget.

I am just frustrated with the way this whole thing is being handled.

-Porsche finally decide to make a car that people have been wanting for 10 years.

-Market it and price it as "an entry level car to open the GT market to a new customer".

-Then only make enough to satisfy millionaire clients who already own the flagship vehicle, all the while accepting $2-$10K deposits from thousands of people who never had a snowballs chance in hell of getting one.

Fuckin brilliant, eh?

Damn, that sucks man :\

But yeah, it's just a car and you'll be fine with your budget lol.

grendelrt

One of the dealers got back to me. The one where I was #3 on the list. Gave me my money back and wished me luck.

Sonnen Porsche in San Francisco has 20 orders. They are also getting a single one.

Other dealer I had a deposit with told me he can't tell me anything new since allocations are not final for them. The two 918 owners from that dealership didn't order one, but opted to take a GT3RS instead.

Oh well, whatever happens I'm cool. It's just a car. Not the end of the world. If I can't get it, I'll take my money elsewhere. Not like I'm lacking options with a $120,000 budget.

-Porsche finally decide to make a car that people have been wanting for 10 years.

-Market it and price it as "an entry level car to open the GT market to a new customer".

-Then only make enough to satisfy millionaire clients who already own the flagship vehicle, all the while accepting $2-$10K deposits from thousands of people who never had a snowballs chance in hell of getting one.

Fuckin brilliant, eh?

It really is shitty, I completely agree with you on why make an entry level car then make it exclusive to high end customers, it makes no sense.

Chromax

I have no idea why they do that. A Mclaren dealer told me the early 650s only goes to people that ordered the P1, while a Ferrari one told me the same with 488 and LaFerrari.

Smh... sounds like your typical German Arrogance™ that BMW loves to perpetuate. I thought Porsche, especially being under VAG, would be better than that?

Maybe you could send word to Jalopnik or Chris Harris? It'll probably amount to nothing, maybe a post about how it's almost impossible to get one despite it's entry-level price and the world goes on without Porsche giving a fnck. Or maybe that post goes viral and some unpaid English speaking intern in Stuttgart sees it while he's on the train checking Twitter on the way to pick up some sauerkraut so he can impress his bosses at his internship.

But yeah, it's their loss tbh. News like this is just turning off prospective buyers from the company. Sure, I probably won't be able to afford one until I'm one week away from going six feet under, but I can still aspire to own one... but after reading this shit, nah... I'll just go back to browsing Miata.net and see whether it's better to go turbo or supercharger. At least that I know is a definite possibility.

rokkerkory

Fuckin brilliant, eh?

Sucks!! Get gt3 slighty used?

Evo X

Thanks for all the support fellas. I know it's totally "First World Problems" or whatever, but we are all car enthusiasts so you can understand where I'm at. Been super excited for the last month, and it sucks to have your hopes crushed by things that are out of your control.

i just don't get why 918 owners get first dibs.

they already have a freaking 918. why do they need a gt4? fine, porsche gives them the option as wealthy/loyal customers, but why do they need them?

Just another car to add to their collection. They just want what others can't have I suppose. $100K is probably chump change to them.

Look on the bright side: you can afford a $120,000 car.

Lots of other great choices around, like you said.

Yeah, I'm just not sure what else I would get. The Z06 is amazing performance, but not really my thing. This really was my dream car within this price range. Anything else I want is way more expensive.

I have no idea why they do that. A Mclaren dealer told me the early 650s only goes to people that ordered the P1, while a Ferrari one told me the same with 488 and LaFerrari.

That's a little different. The McLaren 650S and Ferrari 488 are in a totally different league compared to the GT4. This isn't some hand built exotic, it's a Cayman. They should just shut down production of the normal line for a bit to ramp up GT4 production. Normal ones are barely selling.

Smh... sounds like your typical German Arrogance™ that BMW loves to perpetuate. I thought Porsche, especially being under VAG, would be better than that?

Maybe you could send word to Jalopnik or Chris Harris? It'll probably amount to nothing, maybe a post about how it's almost impossible to get one despite it's entry-level price and the world goes on without Porsche giving a fnck. Or maybe that post goes viral and some unpaid English speaking intern in Stuttgart sees it while he's on the train checking Twitter on the way to pick up some sauerkraut so he can impress his bosses at his internship.

But yeah, it's their loss tbh. News like this is just turning off prospective buyers from the company. Sure, I probably won't be able to afford one until I'm one week away from going six feet under, but I can still aspire to own one... but after reading this shit, nah... I'll just go back to browsing Miata.net and see whether it's better to go turbo or supercharger. At least that I know is a definite possibility.

Porsche management really is asleep at the wheel on this one. This thing is not a ultra high end specialty car where it is considered good business practice to intentionally under-build. They have a great opportunity to bring a whole slew of new customers into the fold with this car. The GT4 is a car that car enthusiasts, not just Porsche enthusiasts, wanted for a long time. I don't care if you are a fan of Audi RS, BMW M, Merc AMG, Nissan GTR, Corvette Z06... this GT4 garners respect and people from all other brands are gravitating towards it and are cross shopping it. Porsche seems to be fucking up a good thing for no reason.

It's total bullshit and the dealers don't care. They sell 10 SUVs for every 1 sports car. The GT4 allocations just seem like a pat on the back for the ones that perform the best. A little prize to keep the dealership owner's rich diehard buddies happy while they continue to fling the Cayennes, Macans, and Panemeras to soccer moms.

Sucks!! Get gt3 slighty used?

I'd love to, except used 991 GT3s are still $150K plus tax. Out of my price range at the moment I'm afraid.

Jackson

Fuckin brilliant, eh?

Sorry to hear it. GTS is still a great car though. :) Test drive one and see what you think!

It's illegal in WA state not to refund a deposit, so it's new skin off my nose, but that's awful for others if dealers are ripping them off.

GHG

Fuckin brilliant, eh?

This is pretty shitty from Porsche. The worst thing is you can't even hang about and say you will wait until they start appearing on the market as some of the the 918 owners will sell them since they will inevitably be even more expensive.

Bright side is that it's a big budget so you'll have no shortage of options.

What else are you considering? Does it have to be manual?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I know what I'd do with your budget Evo.

90wn9Pc.jpg

Hesemonni

Banned
Speaking of 5-series BMW's. Why is BMW ignoring easy money by not making M5 tourings to steal RS6 Avant's and E65 T AMG's thunder?

RLxfMU5.jpg

And I'm saying this as an über sensible 520xd's owner ;)

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I'd wait for the manual AWD version later this year. I test drove the R and it's a hooligan car. A British muscle car you gotta wrestle around a corner. It's kinda the opposite of the Cayman.

Is the manual headed to the V8 or is the AWD going to the V6?

GHG

Maybe I should save up until I can get a 991 GT3 with that insane 9K redline.

Listen to this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O_CdoCYcag

Although, stock GT4 doesn't sound so bad either, especially on the downshifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Yikm7Jgcc

Yes. Do this. To be honest its the only car that will tick all the boxes coming from the GT4.

This is a calculated move by Porsche. They know that if the gt4 run wasn't so limited it would eat into the top end 911 sales really badly.

Rengoku

Maybe I should save up until I can get a 991 GT3 with that insane 9K redline.

Listen to this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O_CdoCYcag

Although, stock GT4 doesn't sound so bad either, especially on the downshifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Yikm7Jgcc

DO IT! I know, the wait will be excruciating, but put it this way, if you got the 991 GT3, you will never wonder "what if" with the cayman GT4. Different story the other way around. If you can wait for it, do it!

I loathe upshifts in DCT cars. They don't have any character in the over run and you get this weird pop/fart as the engine dumps revs faster than it would naturally. It's terrible and I fucking hate it.

The 911 GT3 is ruined just by that one thing. VRRRRROOOOOOOO *fart* VRRRROOOOOO *fart*

Seriously, compare it to the GT3 RS 4.0. That little breath that the engine takes between gears adds so much to the experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI-fLokjOxI

RSP

Speaking of 5-series BMW's. Why is BMW ignoring easy money by not making M5 tourings to steal RS6 Avant's and E65 T AMG's thunder?

RLxfMU5.jpg

The previous generation did not sell very well. I think it only sold about 1500 units. I don't know how big the market is for 500+hp estate cars.

Two of the E61 M5's are driving around where I live. Oh the glorious V10 sound ...

Hey guys. I need your help.
I was traveling to Florida and I just stopped in Gainsville and I was in the drive through and while I was idling, the car turned off.
Every time I start it now, it fails to hold the idle and just shuts off. Any ideas?

J-Rzez

I see. All I know about clay and polish is that they attempt to restore the paint to some degree. And I only tried it coz I was bored, and my Miata would be officially be a 10 year old come August lol.

What do you think about the products I used: Meguiar's gold class soap, the Mothers California Gold clay kit with the packed in detailer, Meguiars clear coat safe polishing compound, and Mothers synthetic wax.

I know for sure that Meguiars soap is the best of the best, but the other 3 I bought just because they were on sale at O'Reilly haha. I got the synthetic wax for free by buying the clay kit and the polish compound was down to $5 bucks lolol.

I apologize for the late reply. I come to this thread every so often anymore (busy sucks).

Meguiars makes good stuff for your average chain store, though their detailers choice clay is good. That's really about it. Their gold class car wash smells so damn good though.

My advice is to go to Autogeek.net and get some different products. My go to's for my car and my clients are:

Claybar: Wolfgang/Meguiars DC
Swirl Reducer: Wolfgang
Polish: Wolfgang
Wax: Pinnacle
Interior: 303 Aerospace protectant (seriously, it's so good, not greasy, not overly shiny, lasts so long, proven UV defense)

Wax or polish is your choice. Polish for a "clear" shine, wax for a "warm glow" like I said earlier. Wolfgang polishes are fantastic, easy to use, and last for a damn long time, even in my shit climate with winter salt and industrial parks. The wax is a little tougher to work with, lasts longer than your average wax, and has such a nice warm glow to the paint in light if that's your thing.

That 303 though for your interior is a must have for anyone IMHO.

TMK, water injection (which I used on my WRX way back when) is to essentially reduce the chance of knock/predetonation in really high compression situations.

I read stuff online like, "to cool key parts" but that sounds wrong, because you don't get detonation from a hot turbocharger. Though maybe the hot turbo increases the temp of the air to the point that it detonates?

In any case, my understanding when I did it was that it essentially increases the octane rating of your fuel. That is to say, it makes the fuel harder to combust by introducing water in it. So you can program for high octane/race fuel tunes, which is what I did, without the knock/predet issues.

It can slightly impact direct temps, but it's for the knock more than anything, you're correct.

I need some advice...

I have a 2008 Evo X which I like quite a bit, unfortunately the clearcoat on the roof has started to bubble and peel in one small section. It's pretty surprising since it's been kept pretty clean and parked in my garage for the last few years. Unfortunately it's a 2008 model that I acquired in 2009 so I assume it was sitting on the dealer lot for quite a while.

I guess this means that either Mitsubishi paint sucks ass (they cheap out on everything else after all), or I didn't do as good a job as I thought at washing/waxing it.

In any case, I'm planning on taking it to some places to get estimates to see if there are any real options for repairing it, but everything I've heard suggests that there's not a whole lot that can be done (at least long term). The specific section can theoretically be cleaned up and blended with the rest of the paint, but it won't ever be great and certainly wouldn't stop the paint in other areas from having the same issue. My main fear is that it's just a matter of time until the rest of the paint goes, and then it's pretty much toast. If that's the case I should probably just sell it but this will obviously hurt the resale.

Do not blend in clear. I've had nothing but bad luck each time from different shops. Get the whole "section/panel" done. Not only can you get lifting issues, but you can sometimes notice a clarity issue between brands, let alone age of the clear. It likely won't look uniform.

Welcome to mitsu paint quality. I been there. They didn't even clear my side mirrors on my old Evo 8... lol. Mitsu and Subaru have been fighting it out for a long time with not only having the most dominate "WRC" car, but also shittiest paint quality from any Japanese maker.

No Love

Banned
Hey guys. I need your help.
I was traveling to Florida and I just stopped in Gainsville and I was in the drive through and while I was idling, the car turned off.
Every time I start it now, it fails to hold the idle and just shuts off. Any ideas?

Sounds like some sort of air leak or sensor malfunction? Could be an O2 sensor? Does the car hold idle if you manually rev it?

grendelrt

Well spent my entire Sunday cleaning up the car, there were some fine scratches and stuff from the first owner (I bought with 5K miles) so I did claybar, a couple polishes, and some wax. Came out pretty great, I love the feeling of totally clean waxed paint, your finger just slides right down it :O

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

RLxfMU5.jpg

Because nobody buys them. They're not rare because they're in limited production. They're rare because nobody goes into a dealership and orders one.

GHG

Anyone know which show should have more info on the RS3?

Probably a European show...

Its not announced to be coming to any regions other than Europe at the moment unfortunately.

That's why I'm considering an s3 sedan at the moment. But then for similar money here in the UAE I can get a 2011/2012 Panamera turbo with a few years of warranty left and that makes so much more sense to me with every review I watch...

No Love

Banned
Probably a European show...

Its not announced to be coming to any regions other than Europe at the moment unfortunately.

That's why I'm considering an s3 sedan at the moment. But then for similar money here in the UAE I can get a 2011/2012 Panamera turbo with a few years of warranty left and that makes so much more sense to me with every review I watch...

Get the Panamera Turbo. It's way more car than an S3 will ever be.

AlphaSnake

Man that BMW vs Lexus thread is a hoot...of stupidity.

My level of restraint was seriously tested to its limits.

AlphaSnake

Yup. Goes to show you how ignorant the average person is about cars.

That thread is the equivalent of someone going into the gaming forum and saying "hay guyz, Nintendo is known for the best 3rd party support!!"

It's like people so keenly keep up with rather petty shit like videogame consoles, but can't be assed to understand that the automotive industry changes and evolves at a pace that's probably 30x what the gaming industry is capable of.

Things that may have been applicable to something 20 years ago are not applicable today. Hell, even 5 years ago. And what actually irks me of all that is that they're throwing their uninformed stupidity out there, telling a guy how to spend $40-50K on a subject they are completely oblivious to.

AlphaSnake

I like the one guy who rags on owners of BMW 335s ($50K cars, mind you) and says they were too cheap to buy a real BMW like a 5-series, not realizing they start at nearly the same price and come with a measly 4-cylinder turbo. LOL

And turns out he drives a 7 year old Acura TL.

2SeeKU

Well spent my entire Sunday cleaning up the car, there were some fine scratches and stuff from the first owner (I bought with 5K miles) so I did claybar, a couple polishes, and some wax. Came out pretty great, I love the feeling of totally clean waxed paint, your finger just slides right down it :O

Looking good. Looks great in the sun!

FStop7

Banned
Yup. Goes to show you how ignorant the average person is about cars.

That thread is the equivalent of someone going into the gaming forum and saying "hay guyz, Nintendo is known for the best 3rd party support!!"

It's like people so keenly keep up with rather petty shit like videogame consoles, but can't be assed to understand that the automotive industry changes and evolves at a pace that's probably 30x what the gaming industry is capable of.

Things that may have been applicable to something 20 years ago are not applicable today. Hell, even 5 years ago. And what actually irks me of all that is that they're throwing their uninformed stupidity out there, telling a guy how to spend $40-50K on a subject they are completely oblivious to.

This is why it's good to avoid car threads on non-car forums. This thread excepted, of course! This thread is quite a bit better than most car forums because it's generally non-partisan.

I apologize for the late reply. I come to this thread every so often anymore (busy sucks).

Meguiars makes good stuff for your average chain store, though their detailers choice clay is good. That's really about it. Their gold class car wash smells so damn good though.

My advice is to go to Autogeek.net and get some different products. My go to's for my car and my clients are:

Claybar: Wolfgang/Meguiars DC
Swirl Reducer: Wolfgang
Polish: Wolfgang
Wax: Pinnacle
Interior: 303 Aerospace protectant (seriously, it's so good, not greasy, not overly shiny, lasts so long, proven UV defense)

Wax or polish is your choice. Polish for a "clear" shine, wax for a "warm glow" like I said earlier. Wolfgang polishes are fantastic, easy to use, and last for a damn long time, even in my shit climate with winter salt and industrial parks. The wax is a little tougher to work with, lasts longer than your average wax, and has such a nice warm glow to the paint in light if that's your thing.

That 303 though for your interior is a must have for anyone IMHO.

Woah, I'm gonna save this post for the future or something. I've browsed Autogeek so many times but I have no clue what to get so I end up going AutoReilly for my car wash stuff.

Looks like I know what I'll be getting come November, that's if I decide to clay and polish my car again haha.

LOLOL. I tried to skim the thread and nooooope.

The funny thing, most people in there were not only uninformed, but it seemed to me that they got their info from a quick Google search or two and not really knowing how any of the shit works.

This is why it's good to avoid car threads on non-car forums. This thread excepted, of course! This thread is quite a bit better than most car forums because it's generally non-partisan.

The only reason why Auto-GAF works really well with each other is because we're all enthusiasts first and fanboys second. No one really hates any cars here unless it's a PT Cruiser and no one here really fanboys over any company either. I mean I fanboy over Mazda, but I don't tell everybody to get a Miata(even though they should lol). And it seems like just last week we were all in agreement that Porsche is the best car company in the world until the bastards through a curveball at Evo X and immediately got stripped of the title lol.

And they still base their opinions on anecdotes from 15-20 years ago. I don't know how many people won't even consider domestic vehicles because all they can think about is the chevy cavalier.

Oh god, and poor Hyundai. People still think Hyundai is the same company as it was in the early 2000s and it's just... just... ugh.

Zyzyxxz

The only reason why Auto-GAF works really well with each other is because we're all enthusiasts first and fanboys second. No one really hates any cars here unless it's a PT Cruiser and no one here really fanboys over any company either. I mean I fanboy over Mazda, but I don't tell everybody to get a Miata(even though they should lol). And it seems like just last week we were all in agreement that Porsche is the best car company in the world until the bastards through a curveball at Evo X and immediately got stripped of the title lol.

Hey lay off the PT Cruiser, best truck with wood panels ever!

2002_chrysler_pt_cruiser_limited-pic-20504.jpeg

RIP
cryingbaldeagle.gif

AlphaSnake

And they still base their opinions on anecdotes from 15-20 years ago. I don't know how many people won't even consider domestic vehicles because all they can think about is the chevy cavalier.

Oh god, and poor Hyundai. People still think Hyundai is the same company as it was in the early 2000s and it's just... just... ugh.

Precisely my point.

It's like I said, no different than saying that Nintendo still has the best 3rd party support. And that Sega makes great consoles.

LMAO

I like the one guy who rags on owners of BMW 335s ($50K cars, mind you) and says they were too cheap to buy a real BMW like a 5-series, not realizing they start at nearly the same price and come with a measly 4-cylinder turbo. LOL

And turns out he drives a 7 year old Acura TL.

I do my best to stay out of those threads because I am perpetually on the edge of calling people idiots. So many terrible opinions stemming from--as you said--facts several decades old, or based on the flimsiest anecdotal shreds of their lives that somehow give them a good reason to hold a belief about a car, badge, or whatever.

I feel like cars especially are this thing that everyone seems to love having an opinion on, and even fewer people than usual know jackshit about what they're talking about.

GHG

We live in a world where there are a lot of people are happy about self-driving cars becoming a reality soon. We also live in an age where the internet allows everybody to have an opinion about everything, regardless of whether they know about it or not.

I'm not surprised in the slightest about that thread and that most people don't have a clue about cars.

AlphaSnake

I do my best to stay out of those threads because I am perpetually on the edge of calling people idiots. So many terrible opinions stemming from--as you said--facts several decades old, or based on the flimsiest anecdotal shreds of their lives that somehow give them a good reason to hold a belief about a car, badge, or whatever.

I feel like cars especially are this thing that everyone seems to love having an opinion on, and even fewer people than usual know jackshit about what they're talking about.

It looks like I killed the thread though with my reply.

The only one that was actually informative, backed by substance and first hand knowledge, and easy to read.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-01.jpg

This is going to be awesome.

My predictions:

The MkVI Camaro will have engine options similar to the Mustang: the V6 will carry over from the previous generation, but the V8 in the SS will be a detuned version of the LT1 in the C7 Corvette, and there will be a turbo four from the Camaro's new platform mate, the Cadillac ATS, tuned to make at least 300 horsepower.

The six-speed manual will also carry over, with the Corvette's 8-speed automatic optional across the board.

Much like the Mustang, the V6 will be the base model for fleet sales, the SS will be for traditionalists, and the turbo four will be for those who don't want to choose between fuel economy or highly-tunable performance.

Also like the Mustang, the SS and turbo four models will gain a performance pack option, similar to the MkV Camaro's SS 1LE option. Expect sport tuned suspension, unique wheels, and maybe some graphics.

The supercharged ZL-1 and track focused Z/28 models will carry over at a later date, because the Dodge Hellcat and Ford Shelby GT350 are challenges that must be answered for the bowtie brigade.

To address complaints about the poor visibility of the MkV, expect tech goodies like lane keeping assist, blind spot alert, parallel park assist, as well as more glass in the side mirrors.

The coupe will go on sale before the end of the year, and the convertible will follow in spring 2016.

Top Bottom