• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I take back what I said about the clay and polish not doing anything.

The sun finally showed up today and my god it did wonders to the paint.

Here's a shitty photo from my iPhone 6+:

a1pAuvI.jpg

It normally looks darker, more redder, almost maroon like actually, but as you can see... it's starting to verge on pink lol. It just looks a lot lighter than normal. Now it could be due to the light in the back that's causing it to look more lighter but I actually don't remember it looking this nice. Hopefully the sun will be up tomorrow morning, that way I can confirm this lol.

J-Rzez

I must have missed your other comment on this but as someone who details cars on the side for "me money", a good clay bar makes a huge impact on paint. It is a miracle worker. I have different levels of bar for what i'm doing, from abrasive for cars never touched, to an extremely mild one to touch up during washes.

Polishes will last you a longer time and usually give a "clear", glass like effect. Some can look "wet".

Waxes can give off a lot of depth and a "warm glow", especially to metallics/pearls, but are tougher to work with and wear faster.

That's just "general" though, there are exceptions. But a polish/wax can really make your car look different in natural and artificial light depending on what you use.

Chiester

Ugh this 2005 c240 is the worst car I've ever owned. In less than 3 years I've had to replace:
6 fuel injectors
Fuel pump and filter
Cam and crank shaft
6 spark plugs
Timing belt (about the only normal wear and tear repair)
Purge valve
Purge hose
And now Mercedes is saying my shutoff valve is leaking

I could have bought a brand new car and it would have been cheaper than all the repairs I've done to this piece of shit. Can't even get it inspected because once I fix something then skmething else breaks. I learned my lesson by not doing research before buying this thing.

Once I sell this thing after I can afford to fix it, I need to get a good family car/suv. Any recommendations as far as reliability? Was going to get the Honda fit subcompact but people saying it's too small especially since my wife has a second baby coming along

how much do you want to spend? Also does it have to be new?

I must have missed your other comment on this but as someone who details cars on the side for "me money", a good clay bar makes a huge impact on paint. It is a miracle worker. I have different levels of bar for what i'm doing, from abrasive for cars never touched, to an extremely mild one to touch up during washes.

Polishes will last you a longer time and usually give a "clear", glass like effect. Some can look "wet".

Waxes can give off a lot of depth and a "warm glow", especially to metallics/pearls, but are tougher to work with an wear faster.

That's just "general" though, there are exceptions. But a polish/wax can really make your car look different in natural and artificial light depending on what you use.

I see. All I know about clay and polish is that they attempt to restore the paint to some degree. And I only tried it coz I was bored, and my Miata would be officially be a 10 year old come August lol.

What do you think about the products I used: Meguiar's gold class soap, the Mothers California Gold clay kit with the packed in detailer, Meguiars clear coat safe polishing compound, and Mothers synthetic wax.

I know for sure that Meguiars soap is the best of the best, but the other 3 I bought just because they were on sale at O'Reilly haha. I got the synthetic wax for free by buying the clay kit and the polish compound was down to $5 bucks lolol.

Chiester

Around 18 max and it doesn't have to be new

I think you should be able to get a new if not definitely a slightly used civic sedan for that much. If you need a hatch for more cargo space you can get a ford focus (preferably the new facelift model since I feel like its a big step up inside and out from the pre facelift model) or a subaru impreza.

Dont know much about suvs but i've driven one of our mazda cx-5s, and I actually thought it was pretty good. Technically a crossover though, but should be able to get a used one for less than 18k. If you dont want to spend much money you can get an older accord wagon or subaru wagon.

Hope this somewhat helps you. Don't know if you care about interiors though. I've been in all these cars except the impreza and the wagons and I like them. But this is coming from a guy who thinks his miatas interior is one of the best, so take that as you will.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
I bet somebody is screaming with joy that they just moved up a notch on the GT4 list. haha.

6 Speed F430s are unicorns! Glad you found one. I considered getting one for a short time as one of my friend's bought one last year and loves it. But then again, he has 4 other cars to drive and rarely takes it out.

The biggest reason I'm getting the GT4 over a used higher end car in the same price range is because of the piece of mind of warranty and reasonable maintenance & daily driveability. I also love the Cayman chassis and am happy they finally stepped up the rest of the components to do it justice. It's also as fast around the Nurburgring as your F430 Scuderia. You gotta admit, that's pretty impressive!

Just crossing my fingers to hear of a guaranteed allocation slot soon.

Based on your car history, it's not surprising you voted for Red. lol

Right. My understanding is that I could've traded my spot for a fair amount of cash.

Thanks. Yes, I found a red/tan 1-owner car and had to jump on it. I enjoyed my previous experience with the transmission; thought I'd give it another try.

The GT4 is definitely an impressive machine for the money. I've tried the 991 GT3 and that's an amazing achievement; if they managed to cram a meaningful percentage of that experience in a car with an $85k base, game over.

So it sounds like the BMW M4 GTS is going to use water injection for the turbos.

Does anyone else thinks that sounds absolutely ridiculous? Having to fill up a little 5L water tank in the back? Sure it's more power and a little more efficiency but...really? Water? And what kind of water? Is tap good enough or just distilled? If tap's okay, what kind of tap? How long before somebody messes up the system by getting mineral deposits in there?

Just a really bizarre way to go.

Evo X

Autocar's GT4 review is out as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYM8yqdb97k

I was hoping Top Gear would get their hands on one of these eventually, but who knows what's gonna happen to the show with Clarkson suspended.

The sun finally showed up today and my god it did wonders to the paint.

Here's a shitty photo from my iPhone 6+:

It normally looks darker, more redder, almost maroon like actually, but as you can see... it's starting to verge on pink lol. It just looks a lot lighter than normal. Now it could be due to the light in the back that's causing it to look more lighter but I actually don't remember it looking this nice. Hopefully the sun will be up tomorrow morning, that way I can confirm this lol.

Nice job! Car looks brand new.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Holy shit, I just went to the OP and realized today marks exactly 1 year that this thread has been active! Time flew.

I feel like I only made this thread 6 months ago, at most.

2SeeKU

Just when I thought I was decidedly on TeamRed, I see this picture.

God Damnit GAF, if I can't even decide on a car color, how the hell am I going to decide what woman to marry?

Also, if you think I am posting way too much GT4 shit, you can tell me to STFU. I won't mind.

White does look good. This won't help but it looks fantastic in the metallic blue too:

New%20380HP%20Porsche%20Cayman%20GT4%20-%20Official%20(8).jpg

But if it was me, l'd stick with white, or go black. My last 4 cars have been black. Red will look dated in a few years.

ascii42

So it sounds like the BMW M4 GTS is going to use water injection for the turbos.

Does anyone else thinks that sounds absolutely ridiculous? Having to fill up a little 5L water tank in the back? Sure it's more power and a little more efficiency but...really? Water? And what kind of water? Is tap good enough or just distilled? If tap's okay, what kind of tap? How long before somebody messes up the system by getting mineral deposits in there?

I was thinking that at least it's better than Oldsmobile's turbo in the 60s, which sprayed a water and methanol mix, but yeah, it's still weird even with just water.

2SeeKU

I wonder what the reliance is on the water too? As l can see some drivers forgetting to fill up the tank.

My old WRX STi had a similar setup, where it had a reservoir of water to spray on the intercooler at the press of a button.

mkenyon

Banned
TMK, water injection (which I used on my WRX way back when) is to essentially reduce the chance of knock/predetonation in really high compression situations.

I read stuff online like, "to cool key parts" but that sounds wrong, because you don't get detonation from a hot turbocharger. Though maybe the hot turbo increases the temp of the air to the point that it detonates?

In any case, my understanding when I did it was that it essentially increases the octane rating of your fuel. That is to say, it makes the fuel harder to combust by introducing water in it. So you can program for high octane/race fuel tunes, which is what I did, without the knock/predet issues.

Halvie

Banned
Yeah, but if you had $40K to spend on a car, would you buy one?

I certainly wouldn't. If you're buying used, that gives you a hell of a lot of better options.

Even if we compare it to new cars, for $40K, I would take a Mustang GT with performance pack over this ALL DAY.

I was strongly considering getting one as my next car, but I'm not sure anymore.

No 3-door. No MPI. Power limit is supposed to be pretty much where it is with the MKVI GTI/R
fueling limited

VW being VW

Think it is going to be a lot more expensive than I thought to get a new car that is significantly faster than what I have now :(

ascii42

I wonder what the reliance is on the water too? As l can see some drivers forgetting to fill up the tank.

My old WRX STi had a similar setup, where it had a reservoir of water to spray on the intercooler at the press of a button.

I imagine it reduces the maximum boost pressure when that happens. Oldsmobile's system did that.

grendelrt

White does look good. This won't help but it looks fantastic in the metallic blue too:

New%20380HP%20Porsche%20Cayman%20GT4%20-%20Official%20(8).jpg

But if it was me, l'd stick with white, or go black. My last 4 cars have been black. Red will look dated in a few years.

My Cayman S is Aqua Blue Metallic, I really love the color, I was looking for white, but the blue won me over.

Some dipshit in a Nissan Altima was revving his engine next to mine at a traffic light. Dipshit wanted a drag race I guess so I said why the fnck not.

Dipshit had a head start and I still pulled away from him, only to let off a few seconds later coz I know there's usually cops down the hill. Funny thing is, I was only in 3rd gear when I let off... I still had 3 more to go if I really wanted to own this dipshit while he almost hit triple digits just to get past my ass.

Anyway, this is probably the only reason why I hate driving my Miata. You've got dipshits left and right thinking they can smoke my Miata and the hoonigan in me can't resist the temptation and I do shit like this. On the other hand, it's shit like this that makes me want a faster or a sleeper car, that way no dipshit will try to mess with you.

AlphaSnake

My Cayman S is Aqua Blue Metallic, I really love the color, I was looking for white, but the blue won me over.

Awesome color.

If blue were an option for Evo X, that'd get my vote above all colors. It's the most exotic, and yet not flashy. Understated, but stunning. It's beauty is its simplicity. Just like the Cayman.

Some dipshit in a Nissan Altima was revving his engine next to mine at a traffic light. Dipshit wanted a drag race I guess so I said why the fnck not.

Dipshit had a head start and I still pulled away from him, only to let off a few seconds later coz I know there's usually cops down the hill. Funny thing is, I was only in 3rd gear when I let off... I still had 3 more to go if I really wanted to own this dipshit while he almost hit triple digits just to get past my ass.

Anyway, this is probably the only reason why I hate driving my Miata. You've got dipshits left and right thinking they can smoke my Miata and the hoonigan in me can't resist the temptation and I do shit like this. On the other hand, it's shit like this that makes me want a faster or a sleeper car, that way no dipshit will try to mess with you.

Kind of wish they'd have upped the new one to at least 200hp. I know the car isn't about power, it's about being lightweight and nimble and being able to rip in each gear, but still. Was hoping for something closer to the s2k?

maybe I'm just rambling. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right price range. my civic si has 205hp but of course its fail wheel drive and heavy. it handles alright all things considered i guess. My previous car was a 95 Integra which served me all the way through college and then some, so going from that maybe 125 hp remaining car to 205 was a nice boost, but now I'm kind of itching for another jump in power, despite the Si being fairly fun to drive on a daily basis.

Chiester

Really? I've only had an ek coupe try to race me in my miata, and I even have a few (anime) stickers on my HT and a loud exhaust. Maybe it's because yours is red and mine is brg.

Zolf

I need some advice...

I have a 2008 Evo X which I like quite a bit, unfortunately the clearcoat on the roof has started to bubble and peel in one small section. It's pretty surprising since it's been kept pretty clean and parked in my garage for the last few years. Unfortunately it's a 2008 model that I acquired in 2009 so I assume it was sitting on the dealer lot for quite a while.

I guess this means that either Mitsubishi paint sucks ass (they cheap out on everything else after all), or I didn't do as good a job as I thought at washing/waxing it.

In any case, I'm planning on taking it to some places to get estimates to see if there are any real options for repairing it, but everything I've heard suggests that there's not a whole lot that can be done (at least long term). The specific section can theoretically be cleaned up and blended with the rest of the paint, but it won't ever be great and certainly wouldn't stop the paint in other areas from having the same issue. My main fear is that it's just a matter of time until the rest of the paint goes, and then it's pretty much toast. If that's the case I should probably just sell it but this will obviously hurt the resale.

lem0n

I need some advice...

I have a 2008 Evo X which I like quite a bit, unfortunately the clearcoat on the roof has started to bubble and peel in one small section. It's pretty surprising since it's been kept pretty clean and parked in my garage for the last few years. Unfortunately it's a 2008 model that I acquired in 2009 so I assume it was sitting on the dealer lot for quite a while.

I guess this means that either Mitsubishi paint sucks ass (they cheap out on everything else after all), or I didn't do as good a job as I thought at washing/waxing it.

In any case, I'm planning on taking it to some places to get estimates to see if there are any real options for repairing it, but everything I've heard suggests that there's not a whole lot that can be done (at least long term). The specific section can theoretically be cleaned up and blended with the rest of the paint, but it won't ever be great and certainly wouldn't stop the paint in other areas from having the same issue. My main fear is that it's just a matter of time until the rest of the paint goes, and then it's pretty much toast. If that's the case I should probably just sell it but this will obviously hurt the resale.
Mitsubishi paint sucks. My neighbors bave two 2010 Galants and both of them are fading really badly. In the Arizona sun, no car is safe, but I see more Mitsus with shit paint than anything else.

Zyzyxxz

I need some advice...

what about wrapping it?

Kind of wish they'd have upped the new one to at least 200hp. I know the car isn't about power, it's about being lightweight and nimble and being able to rip in each gear, but still. Was hoping for something closer to the s2k?

125 to 205hp is actually pretty huge, that's why you can feel it.

But going from 130hp(NA)->142hp(NB)->167hp(NC)->155hp(ND) isn't that much unless you're going from the NA to an NC/ND.

They'd never bring it to 200hp unles it's a Mazdaspeed purely because of the reasons you said. 200hp WILL throw off the perfect balance they've achieved the last 3 generations. Most of the turbo'd Miatas out there still have that balance under regular driving, but once you're driving spiritedly, it's actually quite scary lol.

Hell, my own Miata's balance is off already and all I did was upgrade the shocks, springs, and a lightweight exhaust. Used to be, you could toss it in a corner and it would be perfectly fine... no understeer, no rotation whatsoever. Now, it'll understeer and if you force through it, you're able to feel the tail wanting to break. But, I'm not complaining though... I love that it actually wants to oversteer, but of course that balance is kinda lost already.

It's a simple fix though, just need some bigger and adjustable sways. I was actually gonna buy one next week, but I found a deal on a Mazdaspeed CAI that I just could not pass up, so I'm getting that one first lol.

Really? I've only had an ek coupe try to race me in my miata, and I even have a few (anime) stickers on my HT and a loud exhaust. Maybe it's because yours is red and mine is brg.

Pretty much. It's bright red, loud and low. It's a perfect example of what a race car should look like but it's a Miata, so they think it's all gay and full of rainbows and shit.

That said I cannot wait when I get my headers, midpipe and tune on November. It's at least a 30whp increase. Let's see if these dipshits would still enjoy getting chopped by a little gay Miata.

mkenyon

Banned
I need some advice...

You should....
what about wrapping it?
Yup.

10991129_345079315689735_3029796013403852893_n.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the search for a car and I was wondering if I could get some input from the community here about a 2012 Nissan 370Z.

I've done some homework on it, but I'm not sure if I should bite the bullet or not (I'll explain):

The 2012 370Z is a base model (7 speed automatic) with under 15,000 miles for around $24,000. Doing the math this would be about $380-$400 a month (with a down payment), which is doable. My dilemma is always thinking about the future. I tell myself why get that, when I could try and find something used in the $12-$15K (or less) range and then save up for a car I'd really like in the next few years (possibly the next-gen Genesis Coupe or a Challenger Hellcat). Finding a car in that lower range will most likely save me about $150+ a month in car payments.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the 370Z? Is someone who is 6'4'' going to be uncomfortable? I've read mixed reviews on them personally, so it makes me wonder the resale value 3-5 years from now.

Should I take a shot or dial it back and get something a little more conventional (think used Maxima, Mazda 6 (V6 model), etc.) and save that difference ($10,000-$12,000) for something in the next 3-5 years.

Thank you in advance!

Evo X

EVO's review of the GT4 is out. Effortless 110mph 4 wheel drifts through turns. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MbLeygcY8o

No update on my allocation though. :(

Word on the Porsche forums is because of it's limited nature, the dealerships are screwing most people over.

I know the assholes over at Champion Porsche fucked a guy over. He was #2 on the list, they took a $5K deposit from him, but aren't giving him a car even though they are getting 6. Two of them are being taken by the owners to sell at a markup, and the rest are being sold to their older customers.

What was the point of the whole list thing, if they are going to ignore it anyway and do whatever the fuck they want? If you are gonna pull this kinda shit, just be upfront about it instead of getting people's hopes up, then pulling the rug out from under them.

I put down a deposit at two dealerships minutes after the car was unveiled, and have heard nothing but silence from them for over a month anytime I try to reach out.

Can anyone enlighten me on the thinking behind making an entry level GT car if the only people who are going to get one are 918 owners and 60yr old multi millionaire geezers?

Fucking hell.

Edit: Just read an update on another forum from a guy in sales. Finding it hard to believe they would make this more limited than their RS cars.

300 cayman gt4 in America. 145 spoken for by 918 owners.

This includes MY15 & MY16. MY16 cars will be those that are leaked out after MY15 orders are satisfied.

Good luck to all those on "lists"

Fuck you Porsche.

ameratsu

I feel like we've reached peak first world problem in here with evo x complaining about allocations for $85k porsches. Unless there's a yachting thread I don't know about, this about tops it.

mkenyon

Banned
All this Red vs White for maybe nothing?

Damnit Evo. Go down there in person so they can't ignore you, IMO.
I feel like we've reached peak first world problem in here with evo x complaining about allocations for $85k porsches. Unless there's a yachting thread I don't know about, this about tops it.
Hey now, don't disparage an obviously shitty situation.

ascii42

Would you like me to talk about the time my dad and I put plastic hubcap spinners on a Geo Metro?

AlphaSnake

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the search for a car and I was wondering if I could get some input from the community here about a 2012 Nissan 370Z.

I've done some homework on it, but I'm not sure if I should bite the bullet or not (I'll explain):

The 2012 370Z is a base model (7 speed automatic) with under 15,000 miles for around $24,000. Doing the math this would be about $380-$400 a month (with a down payment), which is doable. My dilemma is always thinking about the future. I tell myself why get that, when I could try and find something used in the $12-$15K (or less) range and then save up for a car I'd really like in the next few years (possibly the next-gen Genesis Coupe or a Challenger Hellcat). Finding a car in that lower range will most likely save me about $150+ a month in car payments.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the 370Z? Is someone who is 6'4'' going to be uncomfortable? I've read mixed reviews on them personally, so it makes me wonder the resale value 3-5 years from now.

Should I take a shot or dial it back and get something a little more conventional (think used Maxima, Mazda 6 (V6 model), etc.) and save that difference ($10,000-$12,000) for something in the next 3-5 years.

Thank you in advance!

Indeed. I'm happy to help.

1) I'm 6'1 and fit in the 370Z wonderfully, with plenty of headroom left above me. When I sold my car, I parted it out and some of my parts went to a guy from the Z forums who was 6'5. It's been his daily for many years. But you'll never know unless you step foot into one.

2) Resale value on 370Zs is tremendously good. Production numbers were more limited than a 350Z, so these cars are still difficult to find very cheap. I traded in my 2010, after 4 years of ownership, for $27.5K. I bought it new, below invoice, for around 38K. It hardly lost $10K. Granted my car was immaculate, fully loaded, and had only 16K miles. But nonetheless, there are other examples I've seen.

3) Is $24K what the dealer is asking for the car? Have you negotiated? It seems like it could be a little pricey for a base model car. You can practically walk into a Nissan dealership right now and get a brand new 2015 7AT base for $1K below invoice - ~$29K. Or hell, maybe if there are any 2014 leftovers, even cheaper.

I can answer more questions if you have them.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you in advance!

If you care about haNdling, don't buy one without an LSD. I think only touring+ models come with one

So, unrelated to the current discussion:

Planning on getting a new vehicle this summer/fall. How well do those 3M clear adhesive film paint protectors work? Anyone have any experience with them and if they were worth it?

I was thinking of wrapping the front end of whatever vehicle I get with something along those lines because I'm OCD about paint chips and they are common and frequent where I live.

AlphaSnake

So, unrelated to the current discussion:

Planning on getting a new vehicle this summer/fall. How well do those 3M clear adhesive film paint protectors work? Anyone have any experience with them and if they were worth it?

I was thinking of wrapping the front end of whatever vehicle I get with something along those lines because I'm OCD about paint chips and they are common and frequent where I live.

They work extremely well. They're worth it.

Get it done.

AlphaSnake

If you care about haNdling, don't buy one without an LSD. I think only touring+ models come with one

He sent me a PM. I saw the car, it actually has the full sports package on it. So it has the LSD.

They renamed the trim packages to things like Touring, Touring+ in 2013.

Evo X

One of the dealers got back to me. The one where I was #3 on the list. Gave me my money back and wished me luck.

Last month he thought he was getting 10. Turns out he's only getting one. Fail.

Sonnen Porsche in San Francisco has 20 orders. They are also getting a single one.

Non 918 selling dealers in the country are getting ZERO.

Other dealer I had a deposit with told me he can't tell me anything new since allocations are not final for them. The two 918 owners from that dealership didn't order one, but opted to take a GT3RS instead.

Oh well, whatever happens I'm cool. It's just a car. Not the end of the world. If I can't get it, I'll take my money elsewhere. Not like I'm lacking options with a $120,000 budget.

I am just frustrated with the way this whole thing is being handled.

-Porsche finally decide to make a car that people have been wanting for 10 years.

-Market it and price it as "an entry level car to open the GT market to a new customer".

-Then only make enough to satisfy millionaire clients who already own the flagship vehicle, all the while accepting $2-$10K deposits from thousands of people who never had a snowballs chance in hell of getting one.

Fuckin brilliant, eh?

i just don't get why 918 owners get first dibs.

they already have a freaking 918. why do they need a gt4? fine, porsche gives them the option as wealthy/loyal customers, but why do they need them?

mashoutposse

Ante Up
I visited the Porsche dealer today to inquire about the GT3 RS. They confirmed that their two 918 buyers have already been given real GT4 allocations (one declined). They've also been presented with real GT3 RS allocations today. The declined allocations are sent back to Porsche and cannot be reassigned.

Same gripe; salesman wondered why Porsche would make their most accessible GT car in such limited quantities.

One of the dealers got back to me. The one where I was #3 on the list. Gave me my money back and wished me luck.

Last month he thought he was getting 10. Turns out he's only getting one. Fail.

Sonnen Porsche in San Francisco has 20 orders. They are also getting a single one.

Non 918 selling dealers in the country are getting ZERO.

Other dealer I had a deposit with told me he can't tell me anything new since allocations are not final for them. The two 918 owners from that dealership didn't order one, but opted to take a GT3RS instead.

Oh well, whatever happens I'm cool. It's just a car. Not the end of the world. If I can't get it, I'll take my money elsewhere. Not like I'm lacking options with a $120,000 budget.

I am just frustrated with the way this whole thing is being handled.

-Porsche finally decide to make a car that people have been wanting for 10 years.

-Market it and price it as "an entry level car to open the GT market to a new customer".

-Then only make enough to satisfy millionaire clients who already own the flagship vehicle, all the while accepting $2-$10K deposits from thousands of people who never had a snowballs chance in hell of getting one.

Fuckin brilliant, eh?

Look on the bright side: you can afford a $120,000 car.

Lots of other great choices around, like you said.

Top Bottom