• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ascii42

Hey lay off the PT Cruiser, best truck with wood panels ever!
No, that would be the Jeep Grand Wagoneer.
1987_jeep_grand_wagoneer-pic-7894975754919325460.jpeg

Full Disclosure: When I was in middle school, I totally liked the PT Cruiser.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
No, that would be the Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

Full Disclosure: When I was in middle school, I totally liked the PT Cruiser.

That's a funny way to spell Buick RoadFUCKINGMaster

1996_buick_roadmaster-pic-24578.jpeg

GM small block power. Wagon form.

What's up?

Reven

Finally really learned how to drive a manual today. I have had some experience before in stalling EVOs and STIs lol. My buddy let me use his Ranger to learn the ropes. Felt really good and definitely a lot easier to learn on than the previously mentioned cars.

FStop7

Banned
Porsche is kind of stepping on their dicks with their mishandling of the Cayman GT4. Why make it unobtanium? What end does that serve? It's not a halo car.

This is the kind of crap that Ferrari pulls.

ascii42

That's a funny way to spell Buick RoadFUCKINGMaster

1996_buick_roadmaster-pic-24578.jpeg

GM small block power. Wagon form.

What's up?

I'm really not certain why I don't have a Roadmaster. Maybe if I sell the Riviera I'll allow myself to buy one. Would have been great for moving stuff into my new house, though I've been impressed with what'll fit in the Malibu.

Momentary

Banned
And they still base their opinions on anecdotes from 15-20 years ago. I don't know how many people won't even consider domestic vehicles because all they can think about is the chevy cavalier.

Oh god, and poor Hyundai. People still think Hyundai is the same company as it was in the early 2000s and it's just... just... ugh.

Their manual transmissions are fucked up. When I bought my Genesis Coupe Track the 5th and 6th gears were starting to grind after 3,000 miles. I was on my 6th transmission before I filed under through the BBB under this states Lemon Law. Hyundai was fucking horrible to work with and refused to give me another vehicle or my money back. Both the dealership of purchase and the servicing dealership refused to help me during at trying to get something done. Then corporate was basically callous the entire time and purposely omitted steps that I needed to take for them only to bring up the, "oh your forgot to include this with your documents." Just to try and have more miles put on the vehicle. Sucks for them because this state freezes the mileage after the 3rd service ticket. There are some people who are on their 7th or 8th transmissions. Good thing I bought mine new or I would have been screwed.

This is a huge issue to the point where there was a waiting period to have more replacement transmissions shipped over to the US because no one had any in stock anymore. The problem still persists and Hyundai basically tries to sweep people under the rug who bring this up to them.

Fuck Hyundai.

AlphaSnake

Their manual transmissions are fucked up. When I bought my Genesis Coupe Track the 5th and 6th gears were starting to grind after 3,000 miles. I was on my 6th transmission before I filed under through the BBB under this states Lemon Law. Hyundai was fucking horrible to work with and refused to give me another vehicle or my money back. Both the dealership of purchase and the servicing dealership refused to help me during at trying to get something done. Then corporate was basically callous the entire time and purposely omitted steps that I needed to take for them only to bring up the, "oh your forgot to include this with your documents." Just to try and have more miles put on the vehicle. Sucks for them because this state freezes the mileage after the 3rd service ticket. There are some people who are on their 7th or 8th transmissions. Good thing I bought mine new or I would have been screwed.

This is a huge issue to the point where there was a waiting period to have more replacement transmissions shipped over to the US because no one had any in stock anymore. The problem still persists and Hyundai basically tries to sweep people under the rug who bring this up to them.

Fuck Hyundai.

Unfortunately, even Nissan (2003-2005 MT 350Zs) and Acura (AT 2003-2006 TL) had the exact same issues. So did BMW. Mercedes. And older Jaguars.

Another misconception is that it's not the manufacturer who builds the transmission. There are a handful of companies that supply most of the market: ZF, JATCO, AISIN, Getrag, and Tremec being the most well known.

Disclosure:

JATCO (Japanese Automatic Transmission Company) is owned largely by Nissan. But their transmissions are not exclusive to Nissans. They are universally sold. Even featured in Fords and Jaguars in the 90s and early 2000s.

AISIN by Toyota. Same as above, found in numerous cars.

AlphaSnake

An AISIN transmission is even used in the new Cummins Nissan Titan.

All of Nissan's manual transmissions (350Zs, 370Zs, G35, G37, etc) are AISIN. And despite being Toyota's product, anyone of them produced from 2003-2005 were catastrophically bad. AISIN issued 9...fucking NINE revisions for that transmission until it stopped chewing up gears.

God Dammit. I leave for one day and this thread turns into a discussion of station wagons with wood paneling.

LOLOL. I didn't know that mentioning the PT Cruiser would bring out the closet station wagon fans. That honestly wasn't my intention at all haha.

On the tranny talk, almost all Mazda tranny's were AISIN as well. I say were because that's during the pre-Skyactiv days. The RX-8 and the NC Miata MT used custom built tranny's that Mazda designed themselves and handed over to AISIN to mass-produce. Since unveiling the Skyactiv initiative though, everything, including the AT and MT are all built in-house in one of their factories, which is amazing if you ask me.

Anyway, this is actually the first time I've heard that the Gen Coupes have tranny issues, but to be honest I'm not surprised. All of Hyundai/Kia were practically rebadged Mitsubishi's before they were able to poach that designer guy who was at Audi before. Of course they'd run into issues when starting something from scratch. The mismanagement though is something that just can't be excused.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Uuuh. We had a conversation about station wagons with wood paneling and didn't mention the best station wagon of all time?

For real though, that car looks so badass.

ascii42

Uuuh. We had a conversation about station wagons with wood paneling and didn't mention the best station wagon of all time?

For real though, that car looks so badass.

Ah, yes, the Eagle. That could probably be considered the first crossover.

Fuck Hyundai.

I have a second gen 3.8 GT as a daily driver for 3 years. Transmission still working fine so far.

Second gear is a bitch to get in however, certainly not a good transmission by any standard, but it works.

Was yours a first gen?

J-Rzez

2016-Chevrolet-Camaro-01.jpg

This is going to be awesome.

One can hope, though i'm still leery on the whole GM thing as far as quality goes. It'll take them a long time to restore trust in their quality/brand before I'd give them a chance again.

That said, call me crazy, but personally there's a part of me wishing they'd do a "retro" Gen-3, a new "IROC-Z". I still like their styling to this day. :)

Halvie

Banned
Just go GTX. Wonderful, wonderful turbos. Make sure it's ball-bearing.

I'm running a gtx now. Like it a lot better than the old gt series I had before. Efr turbo kit should finally be coming out for my car. Not sure if I should wait and see results from that, or just settle on a different car. Have wanted to try once since they were first announced, so it is making the decision difficult.

Did some extended runs in my car today. So awesome. So fast.

Was planning to go downpipe and tune early on but I'm plenty satisfied with the stock tune for now so I'll hold off. Don't want the downpipe to screw up the stock exhaust note either.

Love this thing.

Momentary

Banned
I have a second gen 3.8 GT as a daily driver for 3 years. Transmission still working fine so far.

Second gear is a bitch to get in however, certainly not a good transmission by any standard, but it works.

Was yours a first gen?

It's a 2013. The transmission really isn't what became the issue. It was how they handled the whole situation. Now I'll never buy from them ever again.

the positive about self driving cars is that older people won't have to drive themselves around, drunks won't be tempted to drink and drive, texters can't put the car in auto mode when they need to text or chat.

a lot of positives.

No Love

Banned
I'm running a gtx now. Like it a lot better than the old gt series I had before. Efr turbo kit should finally be coming out for my car. Not sure if I should wait and see results from that, or just settle on a different car. Have wanted to try once since they were first announced, so it is making the decision difficult.

Get a different car/platform.

well I think for the majority of the population it's a good thing. I think people like us are in the minority for sure.

You mean majority of the United States... this shit won't fly in Europe or the rest of the world tbh. I actually think it'll be similar to the stick shift vs automatic debate where the US is all in for autos whereas the rest of the world still uses a stick.

I'm not against self driving cars, but I'm being realistic here.

Every city will have to establish some sort of network to communicate the cars with each other, cities aren't gonna pay for that shit unless they're gonna make money off it. If not, do they really think the FCC will clear it's already congested frequencies for car to car connectivity? We're stuck with 4 carriers who aren't improving their services not because of net neutrality, but because they have nowhere else to go in the spectrum. Sure you can let AT&T communicate to that Verizon car, but what if AT&T suffers an outage or vice versa?

Insurance laws are gonna have to change and the car needs a system that'll tell the insurance companies if the car was driving itself or somebody in the car was controlling it when an accident happens. Also, is Google gonna pay for every accident that occurs or am I gonna be liable for that shit even though I touched nothing? Or going back to that cell carrier use, you think AT&T going to pay for your medical bills when their network goes down and you crash into a car?

These pathetic idiots who are calling for only self driving cars can't even see the big picture. All they want is their convenience and nothing else.

GHG

People just want to GAF and drive.

How am I gonna keep up to date on EVo X's Porsche drama if I've gotta concentrate on driving all the time?

You mean majority of the United States... this shit won't fly in Europe or the rest of the world tbh. I actually think it'll be similar to the stick shift vs automatic debate where the US is all in for autos whereas the rest of the world still uses a stick.

I'm not against self driving cars, but I'm being realistic here.

Every city will have to establish some sort of network to communicate the cars with each other, cities aren't gonna pay for that shit unless they're gonna make money off it. If not, do they really think the FCC will clear it's already congested frequencies for car to car connectivity? We're stuck with 4 carriers who aren't improving their services not because of net neutrality, but because they have nowhere else to go in the spectrum. Sure you can let AT&T communicate to that Verizon car, but what if AT&T suffers an outage or vice versa?

Insurance laws are gonna have to change and the car needs a system that'll tell the insurance companies if the car was driving itself or somebody in the car was controlling it when an accident happens. Also, is Google gonna pay for every accident that occurs or am I gonna be liable for that shit even though I touched nothing? Or going back to that cell carrier use, you think AT&T going to pay for your medical bills when their network goes down and you crash into a car?

These pathetic idiots who are calling for only self driving cars can't even see the big picture. All they want is their convenience and nothing else.

Well self driving cars as I understand them aren't connected to one another. The car reacts to what it detects around it. I believe the Google car drove something like 300k miles successfully as the only self driving car around with 0 incidents. The only incident was from another driver who was at fault. Traffic would flow smoother because there would be fewer accidents. I drive 70 miles a day of bumper to bumper traffic, 2-3 hours a day, and those little accidents would become fewer as then you won't have people with terrible reaction times rear ending each other. I mean, Mercedes, BMW, hell even Hyundai already have auto brake technology.

I mean, it's totally going to happen. In our lifetimes I doubt there will be cars with NO manual control but it may head that direction.

Well self driving cars as I understand them aren't connected to one another. The car reacts to what it detects around it. I believe the Google car drove something like 300k miles successfully as the only self driving car around with 0 incidents. The only incident was from another driver who was at fault. Traffic would flow smoother because there would be fewer accidents. Etc etc.

I mean, it's totally going to happen. In our lifetimes I doubt there will be cars with NO manual control but it may head that direction.

Sure, but that's for a single car right now and it's singlehandedly relying on it's sensors without anticipating the next move of everything else around it. Each car will need to be interconnected because they can't anticipate what the other is going to do.

Let's put it this way, if car A is in the middle lane and needs to turn right but car B is right next to him... is car A going to slow down and let car B get in front so it can merge to the right lane(which is how we humans should do it), is it going to speed up and pass car B to make the turn or is it just gonna stay in the middle lane and use a detour instead?

Car A then has to ask itself all this:

1. If there's enough road in front to slow down and merge before making the turn?
2. Are there a bunch of cars behind car A where slowing down would cause traffic?
3. Can car A apply the brakes lightly enough not to cause everyone to jump on their brakes?
4. Does car B have another car behind it and how can I tell it to give me space so I can merge? Will this car pick up my signal lights and slow down?
5. If I miss the turn, can I reroute myself and arrive at the same time?

If a human runs into this situation, then all he needs to do is put his right signal light on. The cars behind him will slow down as he slows and it tells the car behind car B to slow down too and car B will know to speed up a little bit so car A can fit. And problem solved.

How's a self driving car supposed to do that without interconnectivity?

Sure, but that's for a single car right now and it's singlehandedly relying on it's sensors without anticipating the next move of everything else around it. Each car will need to be interconnected because they can't anticipate what the other is going to do.

Let's put it this way, if car A is in the middle lane and needs to turn right but car B is right next to him... is car A going to slow down and let car B get in front so it can merge to the right lane(which is how we humans should do it), is it going to speed up and pass car B to make the turn or is it just gonna stay in the middle lane and use a detour instead?

1. If there's enough road in front to slow down and merge before making the turn?
2. Are there a bunch of cars behind car A where slowing down would cause traffic?
3. Can car A apply the brakes lightly enough not to cause everyone to jump on their brakes?
4. Does car B have another car behind it and how can I tell it to give me space so I can merge? Will this car pick up my signal lights and slow down?

If a human runs into this situation, then all he needs to do is put his right signal light on. The cars behind him will slow down as he slows and it tells the car behind car B to slow down too and car B will know to speed up a little bit so car A can fit. And problem solved.

They can already do this. I recall reading how the Google car can already pass other cars, when it wants to go to another lane it speeds up or slows down depending on who else is in the lane(s). I think they wouldn't even necessarily have to be interconnected for this to work.

Let's assume you have all cars in all lanes going at exactly the same speed. Inevitably, they may not be in a perfect grid but even if they were this would work. You could standardize indicators on the outside of the car so when Car A wants to come over a lane, Car B sees that indicator and adjust speed accordingly. Because each car follows by radar and maintains a set distance to the car in front, if Car B slows down to make room so does the rest of that lane. Car A moves over when it's safe and the radar makes cars in that lane adjust as needed. So basically I think it would be possible to do it without having total inter connectivity, with cars just reacting to what others do with a set of pre-programmed rules (like when a car indicates, the cars around it adjust accordingly, etc). This way you could even have manual drivers in the mix as the automatics then just react to what they see (like what the Google car does today).

There are far mroe brilliant minds than me at Google, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Tesla, et al already working on this and they've probably already thought of these types of scenarios and they probably have better solutions.

That actually sounds like a very easy problem to solve. We already have systems to

1) Detect position of other cars around us accurately
2) Lane departure warning/correction
3) Lane guidance in GPS
4) Speed estimation and matching with automatic throttle and brake control

The problem with self driving cars is not the decision making. The problem is having the correct information to base a decision on.

rokkerkory

I just saw this, it is amazing film and sound work. History of BMW DTM racing:

14_1777.jpg

Saw the DVD version (blu ray isn't available yet) in the states.

Highly recommended!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I just saw this, it is amazing film and sound work. History of BMW DTM racing:

14_1777.jpg

Saw the DVD version (blu ray isn't available yet) in the states.

Highly recommended!

That looks really cool! I'll definitely have to see that sometime.

Sweet poster/cover/whatever too.

Evo X

Quick GT4 update. My dealer got back to me. I'm #2 on the list, but they have only been allocated a single car for the moment. The first guy has a July build date with August delivery. I'm kicking myself because he literally called in about the car 15 minutes earlier than me.

The Sales Manager is at some Porsche meeting in California trying to arrange more allocations so I might be able to get one later in the year. As a backup, I'm #1 on the list for the 981 Spyder that is set to be revealed in 2 weeks.

MotorTrend's review is out as well. A few quotes:

It's almost too good. On a public road, it takes suicidal speeds to really feel like you're challenging the car. Anyone with any sense will have backed down before then. You live for that fleeting moment when you can see more than one corner up the road and confirm there's no traffic, people, or buildings. On the track, you must identify the corners you're scared of then grit your teeth and carry more speed through them. The car can handle it, and it won't make you feel like a hero until you push the bounds of your comfort zone. The GT4 makes you work very hard for the emotional reward that comes from driving fast, but it makes you a better driver along the way.
The six-speed manual shifter is far less able to be improved upon. It's the best manual transmission Porsche has ever done and the best on the market today.

When driving the Cayman GT4, it's immediately and inescapably clear this is a car built by people who love to drive above all else. It's something not all sports cars can say, which makes it all the more special. The car was designed not just to be faster but also fun and exciting and rewarding. At the same time, though, it doesn't give up its rewards easily. It not only forces you to be better but also teaches you how to do it. The more you drive it, the more you want to drive it. The harder you want to drive it. The faster you want to drive it. All because you know that it only gets better the harder you push it and yourself.

Full Review: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1503_2016_porsche_cayman_gt4_first_drive/

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Some more MkVI Camaro details. The GM Alpha platform has been heavily modified, and the LT1 V8 from the C7 Corvette is confirmed to appear, with some changes.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1503_2016_chevrolet_camaro_recieves_lt1_power.html

Press release from GM follows.

2016 Camaro is All-New from the Bowtie Up 70 percent of architectural components unique to the Gen 6 Camaro
2015-03-19

DETROIT – The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro will be a truly all-new car – from the grille's bowtie to the rear spoiler.

In fact, only two parts carry over from the fifth-generation model: the bowtie emblem on the taillamp panel and the SS badge.

The Gen 6 Camaro is based on General Motors' award-winning Alpha architecture. Designed to compete with premium European brands, Alpha offers exceptional driving dynamics and refinement, as well as a balance of mass and stiffness necessary for a world-class performance car.

"Our global engineering team is incredibly passionate about Camaro, and they sweated all the details to make Gen 6 the best Camaro we could possibly put into the hands of our customers," said Mark Reuss, GM executive vice president, Global Product Development.

"Alpha provided a strong foundation, but more than 70 percent of the components are unique to the Gen 6 Camaro, including exterior and interior dimensions, an all-new interior, front and rear suspension, and powertrain components," he said. "The minute you see – and hear – the Gen 6, you know it's a Camaro, from the stance to the driving experience to the sound of the Small Block V-8."

From the strong Alpha foundation, the Camaro team made the most of every component to create a worthy successor for the Gen 5 Camaro, which has been America's best-selling performance car for five consecutive years.

The front structure, for example, was developed specifically for Camaro. It is lengthened, to create the dash-to-axle ratio necessary for car's iconic profile, and widened to provide the desired track width for stable, confident cornering. In addition, 20 percent of the 6.2L LT1 V-8 engine has been tailored to fit the Camaro's packaging, including new, tubular "tri-Y"-style exhaust manifolds.

Chevrolet will introduce the all-new, 2016 Camaro on Saturday, May 16, during a special public event at Detroit's Belle Isle park.

I can't tell you how excited I am for this, oh my god.

Top Bottom