• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

Oh yeah, I saw that Lexus vid yesterday. Been meaning to post it here, but forgot.

Shit is insane. Wonder what was going through the driver's head as it happened.

Would a wheelie bar help in this situation?

2SeeKU

I believe the wheelie bar is really for the initial launch, but might have helped? I'm just surprised the front splitter the car had wasn't enough.

Another video of the crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NWibhly_0Q

Holy shit. Hope the driver is ok.

But that car is (was) insane. Anyone know what kind of mods he's running on that thing?

Under the bonnet of the lux sedan is not the standard 5.0-litre V8. Instead, there’s a 649 cubic-inch Pat Musi V8 with twin turbochargers. It’s matched up to a Rossler TH400 transmission and Neal Chance Torque converter. It produces a “potential peak” output of 3000hp when running 30psi.

Goddamit Porsche. They make a $100k Miata and decide to deprive people of it's greatness.

Here's hoping the Auto-GAF color wars weren't fought for nothing.

I can't tell you how excited I am for this, oh my god.

I'd honestly be excited if they can expand the rear window into something, I dunno... that you can actually use to look behind?

That honestly is my only gripe about the Camaro. I love everything about it but this.

That said, the Challenger still has my muscle car heart though. Something about it's ridiculousness just appeals to me.

https://youtu.be/Zxe_DqAkeAk

This is why down force is important. Damn.

Welp.

For a second there I thought this was the standard Gran Turismo 6 glitch or something but nooope.

Speaking of games, is it worth getting an Xbone just for Forza?

I mean sure I can just play Project Cars or Asseto Corsa on my decent PC... but Forza Horizon 2 just got a Miata DLC pack that has the new ND Miata along with other cool Miatas. Plus I have the 360 version of FH2 and it sucked ass lol.

Goddamit Porsche. They make a $100k Miata and decide to deprive people of it's greatness.

I'd honestly be excited if they can expand the rear window into something, I dunno... that you can actually use to look behind?

That honestly is my only gripe about the Camaro. I love everything about it but this.

That said, the Challenger still has my muscle car heart though. Something about it's ridiculousness just appeals to me.

Welp.

For a second there I thought this was the standard Gran Turismo 6 glitch or something but nooope.

I mean sure I can just play Project Cars or Asseto Corsa on my decent PC... but Forza Horizon 2 just got a Miata DLC pack that has the new ND Miata along with other cool Miatas. Plus I have the 360 version of FH2 and it sucked ass lol.

I'm personally enjoying the fuck out of Driveclub and have been for months now...no Miatas though :(

I'm personally enjoying the fuck out of Driveclub and have been for months now...no Miatas though :(

I originally had plans to buy a PS4 when MGSV comes out in September but since the bastards at Konami just kicked Kojima out to the curb, I don't think I'll do that. If nothing else, I'll just get the PC version with Greenman Gaming's usual VIP sales. Though I'm still quite tempted to pick up the Xbone collectors edition of MGSV just for the stuff and double dip for the PC version just for the excellent graphics but I'm not sure if I'm still willing to give Konami my cash lol.

But anyway, yeah. I like Driveclub but it's just ridiculous that they couldn't even get any decent normal cars on it. All I'm asking for is a Miata, Focus ST, WRX/STi, Toyobaru, Evo X(the car not the user lol), the muscle car trio or hell any of the everyday cars really. I don't understand how that is considering it got delayed for a year and their boss is also the boss of a studio called Polyphony Digital.

I probably shouldn't shit much on Evolution studios considering that they just went through layoffs today, but I just found it unacceptable considering how they wanted this to be the ultimate arcade/sim hybrid racing game yet they couldn't even get any of the cars that most of us drive.

I originally had plans to buy a PS4 when MGSV comes out in September but since the bastards at Konami just kicked Kojima out to the curb, I don't think I'll do that. If nothing else, I'll just get the PC version with Greenman Gaming's usual VIP sales. Though I'm still quite tempted to pick up the Xbone collectors edition of MGSV just for the stuff and double dip for the PC version just for the excellent graphics but I'm not sure if I'm still willing to give Konami my cash lol.

But anyway, yeah. I like Driveclub but it's just ridiculous that they couldn't even get any decent normal cars on it. All I'm asking for is a Miata, Focus ST, WRX/STi, Toyobaru, Evo X(the car not the user lol), the muscle car trio or hell any of the everyday cars really. I don't understand how that is considering it got delayed for a year and their boss is also the boss of a studio called Polyphony Digital.

I probably shouldn't shit much on Evolution studios considering that they just went through layoffs today, but I just found it unacceptable considering how they wanted this to be the ultimate arcade/sim hybrid racing game yet they couldn't even get any of the cars that most of us drive.

That's true. On the flip side, it's pretty fun to drive cars I'll never get to drive haha.

But yeah I do wish they had some more "affordable" selections.

Evo X

YES!

Forza Horizon 2 on the One is my favorite racing game of all time. I keep coming back to it after months

GHG

Welp.

I did it just for Horizon 2 and I kind of regret it despite spending 100+ hours with the game. There is simply nothing else I want to play on the console at the moment so it sits there unless I get the urge to have a horizon 2 session.

I thought I would play Forza 5 quite a bit as well so bought the car pack for that but nope, the career mode for that game is beyond horrendous.

If I were you I'd wait for e3 to see what else they announce that you might want and to see how Forza 6 is shaping up.

Oh yeah, I saw that Lexus vid yesterday. Been meaning to post it here, but forgot.

A wheelie bar would've done nothing.

Something caused the front of the car to lift, when that happens, air gets underneath the car and pushes it up.

It would've been like putting wheelie bars on a plane, once it's off the ground, it's off.

Wheelie bars work for takeoff because the car isn't going fast enough yet to be lifted by the air.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Welp.

Isn't the 360 fh2 basically the same game? I think the x1 has been fantastic, especially for racers. I love the shit out of fh2, and fm5 even more so. The thrust master wheel is pretty great too. Pcars is just around the corner and is looking quite good on x1, but wait till e3 to see the "no ones getting disappointed"fm6

Mohonky

Maybe, maybe not.

It could potentially have given him a bit more time to roll off the throttle but once the front wheels are up and you are essentially balancing on the rears, the torque twisting the chasis will cause the car to want to rock side to side so even if he didn't flip into the air the way he did, chances are he was going to potentially be thrown into an unrecoverable tank like slapper and crash regardless.

Personally I am more perplexed by the big GT wing on the rear. Its not unusual for a drag car to have a rar wing or an extension over the rear, but thats usually on cars heavily raked forward.

Yeah FH2 360 is essentially the same game, only missing are the DLC packs, fantastic graphics, off-roading gameplay, Forza 5's handling, some cars, and the map is a little different... So no actually lol. Rather it's FH1 with FH2's map.

But yeah, that's a good point actually. Forza is the only thing I'll play on Xbone as nothing else interests me and almost all the interesting 3rd party games are also on PC so yeah...

We'll see I guess lol.

In other news, I just bought myself a Mazdaspeed CAI! This thing is gonna be loud as fnck once I get my header/midpipe in August lol.

Momentary

Banned
I know most people hate this version of the Mustang, but I think it's superior.

galpin-rocket-mustang-3.jpg

I wonder what price tag Galpin is going to slap on this 725hp beast.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I think it looks cool, but man, designers really do love giant-ass grills these days.

Blame federal regulations. They require larger bumper bars/guards, and when you have forced induction like this car does, it requires a lot of air for flow and cooling the engine bay. Many cars are turbo today, so this is going to become very common.

ascii42

Blame federal regulations. They require larger bumper bars/guards, and when you have forced induction like this car does, it requires a lot of air for flow and cooling the engine bay. Many cars are turbo today, so this is going to become very common.

Sure, but then we have economy cars where a large part of the grille is actually blocked

This thing managed to cool a V8, albeit a naturally aspirated one.

AlphaSnake

Sure, but then we have economy cars where a large part of the grille is actually blocked

This thing managed to cool a V8, albeit a naturally aspirated one.

Right. That's where the bumper bar goes. They want to protect that from damage. Most bumpers have cushions/foam right behind that area.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I know most people hate this version of the Mustang, but I think it's superior.

galpin-rocket-mustang-3.jpg

I wonder what price tag Galpin is going to slap on this 725hp beast.

Looks like an Aston Martin and is easily the best looking Mustang in thirty years. Last gen was a shitshow.

LFA vs 918 drag race

You can probably guess the outcome, but I didn't think there would be such as massive difference between the two! LFA is like a 4 banger Camry by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMXz_Ckn8ac

Well in terms of performance for dollar, I'd say the LFA does just fine in this comparison. It wouldn't fare so well value-wise against a Skyline. But yeah, completely smoked. Electric torque?

you can get two LFAs for the price of a 918.
the Huracan is like 60% of the LFAs price and would have likely given the 918 a better fight.

the 918 is an awesome car but so is every other car at a million+.

AlphaSnake

you can get two LFAs for the price of a 918.
the Huracan is like 60% of the LFAs price and would have likely given the 918 a better fight.

the 918 is an awesome car but so is every other car at a million+.

I think the 918 is $845,000, so it doesn't quite crest the $1M mark like the the McLaren does and the Ferrari.

Porsche 918 Spyder Faster Than McLaren P1 at Laguna Seca

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/porsche-918-spyder-faster-than-mclaren.html

The Porsche lapped the track in 1:29.89 while the McLaren did it in 1:30.71, which is almost a second slower, and that's not something we should easily ignore. All-wheel drive does go a long way indeed.

Granted, Laguna Seca is the type of track that heavily rewards cars that can put all their power down as soon as they exit the corners.

Pobst said that "The McLaren could not exit the four slow corners at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca the way the 918 could, a clear and present contrast."

Racking up the wins, man.

where ferrari at doe

Where else? Pouting in the corner as usual:

McLaren was happy to send technical support, and Porsche supplied a 918, but Ferrari refused to grant permission for hot laps and data acquisition to the owner of the car we had lined up.

There's tons of data and telemetry in the Motor Trend article.

Loved this bit:

When he does use the DRS, the data shows him doing 155.5 mph over the hill at Turn 1, but the real shock is that the P1's laps are in the high 1:30s. McLaren people are surprised. Porsche people are surprised. Everyone is surprised. We adjust the pressures, and Pobst heads out again. Everyone's anxiously watching the stopwatches on their phones.

Pobst comes back in, still beaming. "Throttle control is critical, challenging, and enjoyable with the traction and stability off," he says. "I love a car with more power than tire grip. It just adds to the thrill." The McLaren people change tire pressures. An engineer says the Pirellis take four or five adjustments before they settle. The P1 goes out for more laps and comes in for more adjustments. On goes another set of Trofeo Rs. More laps. More pressure changes. The best the P1 does is a 1:30.71.

Porsche reckons the 918 would be even faster with the same effort put into the McLaren's tires and pressures.

The 918 wasn't even in Weissach-spec, (other than the wheels). This whole thing wouldn't be nearly as funny had Rod Dennis not hyped the P1's track prowess so much before it launched, but hey, at least they showed up. Ferrari can go eat shit.

No Love

Banned
Once again, AWD shows why it's king. I equally enjoy AWD and RWD but physics can't be denied and a well-sorted AWD system is really crucial with the level of performance and power that cars are doing nowadays.

If Porsche can accomplish this with the 918, I shudder to imagine what Nissan has cooking for the R36 GTR.

I have a friend who's down in Texas for TX2K15... I'm super jelly.

And he said that there's people who go all in. There's a guy staying at his hotel who shipped quite a few containers of racing fuel, down for the events.

Lol,wut?

Are you saying you think the R36 is going to be faster than the 918?

I don't know, man. The original model year R35 set a time of 7:54. Seven years of tweaking later, and the 2015 NISMO did it in 7:08.

46 seconds of improvement on the same chassis, with the same engine, across seven years.

I could see the R36 break the seven minute mark. Maybe not with the launch model, but after a few years of tweaks.

Then again, I fully expect several other models to start breaking the same barrier in the next few years.

Edit: I was talking about 'ring times.

Jackson

I don't know, man. The original model year R35 set a time of 7:54. Seven years of tweaking later, and the 2015 NISMO did it in 7:08.

46 seconds of improvement on the same chassis, with the same engine, across seven years.

I could see the R36 break the seven minute mark. Maybe not with the launch model, but after a few years of tweaks.

Then again, I fully expect several other models to start breaking the same barrier in the next few years.

The Nismo GTR did Laguna Seca 6 seconds slower than the 918, driven by the same person. The T/A Viper was 4 seconds slower. So its possible sure, but I think by the time $100k cars are breaking $1m car records the new $1m cars will smoke those times again. We're still in v1 of hybrid tech filling torque flat spots and all that jazz.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html

Is the P1/FLF/918/Huayra/Agera's 10x the price worth 4 seconds less on a track from a professional driver than the Viper T/A? No, of course not. But that's never the point of these cars. It's like buying the best GFX card on the market. Sure it costs $3,000 and is like 10% better than the $1,000, and like 30% better than the $500, and no game really uses its top end features. But at that level it's about prestige and the experience. The buying experience of a hyper car alone is a big part of it. Flying you to their events, to the factory. Getting it customized to your specifications beyond picking some paint swatches.

Anyway is it justifiable? No. But to people who can afford it. Why not? Besides they'll make most if not all their money back anyway, and possibly even make a profit. My buddy who owns the P1 is assuming he'll at least break even.

Top Bottom