• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

No Love

Banned
Lol,wut?

Are you saying you think the R36 is going to be faster than the 918?

No, what I'm saying is imagine what Nissan will bring to the $100k~ realm of supercars vs. what Porsche has done with their $1 million+ car.

The R36 GTR is going to be an absolute monster at a fraction of the cost. Just like the C7 Z06. But I honestly wonder if the R36 GTR will be even faster than the C7 Z06. That's a scary thought.

FStop7

Banned
6 seconds at Laguna Seca is a lifetime.

No way will the next gen GTR be 6 seconds faster at Laguna than the current Nismo.

Momentary

Banned
astonfire.gif

Holy hell I hope this car gets a street legal version. The Aston Martin Vulcan is just one of the best looking pieces of machinery out there now.

No Love

Banned
6 seconds at Laguna Seca is a lifetime.

No way will the next gen GTR be 6 seconds faster at Laguna than the current Nismo.

We might get a surprise. The new GTR will have a far more advanced AWD system, more power than the Nismo, and probably use some pretty advanced weight reduction techniques/materials, and better tires/brakes. The aero should also be improved even further.

Should be exciting at least.

mkenyon

Banned
The only problem with the GTR is that it is too good.

Looking forward to the R36 as well. GTR is still at the top of my "do want" list. One day, perhaps.

Isn't the R36 going to have a hybrid powertrain as well? Two electric motors at the wheels or something similar like all the supercars are starting to adopt?

If they keep the weight the same, or reduce it, while adding another 100~ horses and as much torque...that thing will teleport out of corners.

Smokey

For some odd reason the past like two weeks...I've wanted to check out a new charger/challenger

Saw a black on black hellcat the other day. Dat exhaust tho

mkenyon

Banned
For some odd reason the past like two weeks...I've wanted to check out a new charger/challenger

Friend has recently become obsessed with them. Ultimate cruising car. Probably worth your time to check out since it's in your price range. Kind of fits what you want too, unless track days are something that you're after.

They're, IMO, one of the best looking cards on the market. The Challenger, I mean. He wants to do this to it, which I'm not huge on.

No, what I'm saying is imagine what Nissan will bring to the $100k~ realm of supercars vs. what Porsche has done with their $1 million+ car.

The R36 GTR is going to be an absolute monster at a fraction of the cost. Just like the C7 Z06. But I honestly wonder if the R36 GTR will be even faster than the C7 Z06. That's a scary thought.

I've been hearing that the next GTR will be ~$150k.

Friend has recently become obsessed with them. Ultimate cruising car. Probably worth your time to check out since it's in your price range. Kind of fits what you want too, unless track days are something that you're after.

They're, IMO, one of the best looking cards on the market. The Challenger, I mean. He wants to do this to it, which I'm not huge on.

dr-who-what.gif

ascii42

I've had my eye on the Challenger for a long time. Test drove one a few years ago. All they had was V6 models. The salesman tried to tell me that they basically never get V8 versions, but the V6 models are fast enough. Right...

Well, sure the V6 model is plenty fast, but that's not the point. And you expect me to believe you ceed all V8 sales to other dealerships? Because I see plenty of R/T models driving around.

Once the new Camaro is out, there's a very good chance I'm going to buy one of them. Another part of me is interested in the Volt. So yeah, V8 pony car or EREV.

I've been hearing that the next GTR will be ~$150k.

If that's the case then the NSX better be bringing some serious game. They've said it has faster acceleration than the R35 and Model S P85D, so should be interesting. Both will be 150k as well.

And then if Toyota brings out the FT-1 as a competitor....hnnng.

The Challenger is the perfect example of the ridiculousness of American excess... which makes it fncking awesome in my book!

If I had to get one, my pick would be a R/T Plus. Stick shift, 5.7L V8 at 375hp. Sure, you could get the SRT 392 with the 6.4L V8 and 485hp but you could build R/T Plus with all the bells and whistles for about $5K less than the 392's base price. Besides, 485hp is gonna be a little difficult to use in daily driving... 375hp is more than enough for daily driving and spirited of course.

That said, I highly doubt a Challenger is gonna be my next car. There are far too many amazing cars out there these days so it's gonna be a hard sell. But man, I'd love to own one though.

Halvie

Banned
The Challenger is the perfect example of the ridiculousness of American excess... which makes it fncking awesome in my book!

If I had to get one, my pick would be a R/T Plus. Stick shift, 5.7L V8 at 375hp. Sure, you could get the SRT 392 with the 6.4L V8 and 485hp but you could build R/T Plus with all the bells and whistles for about $5K less than the 392's base price. Besides, 485hp is gonna be a little difficult to use in daily driving... 375hp is more than enough for daily driving and spirited of course.

That said, I highly doubt a Challenger is gonna be my next car. There are far too many amazing cars out there these days so it's gonna be a hard sell. But man, I'd love to own one though.

No scat pack? Thought that was supposed to basically be R/T with SRT motor.

ascii42

Yep. Short of Hellcat I'd be aiming for the Scat Pack.

Scat pack is a good value. Definitely worth looking at if it's in your price range. It's a bit beyond what I'd be comfortable spending on a car. I think R/T Shaker is the most I could convince myself to spend.

Evo X

You guys heard the rumor that the new Ford GT is going to be priced ~$400K?

What do you think? Does it deserve to be up there in Aventador and F12 territory or are Ford crazy?

My jealousy of the Huracan owners in this thread has just increased even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL6pJEwjGWw&t=300

I think you mean, owner. Singular.

As far as I know, there's only one gaffer with a Huracan. Alpha's brother has one on order, but I don't think he posts here.

But yes, I agree. I'm super jelly as well.

No scat pack? Thought that was supposed to basically be R/T with SRT motor.

Speaking realistically, no lol. The R/T Plus gives you the option of getting all the sporty goodness as well as the luxurious interior. Whereas the Scat Pack is somewhat of a barebones version of the SRT392, no leather seats and the like. And ultimately price... the R/T Plus I want comes out to $40K including everything I want, the Scat Pack would be around $45K without all the luxury stuff... and at that point the SRT392 will only be $2-3K more and it'll have everything that I want lol.

Anyway, nah Ford aren't crazy. If it can keep up with the Aventador and F12 then obviously nope, anything otherwise, then yeah they'd be crazy.

Speaking of supercars, as I missed the discussion earlier due to work...

Nissan's will hopefully go back to their idea of the GT-R being a supercar for the masses. I still remember when Nissan was hyping it up as a budget supercar, it didn't even take them 3 years before the price just ballooned and it got outside of budget supercar territory.

Thankfully, the Hellcat exists to remedy that.

Lastly, am I the only one who thinks that the Lexus LFA is the true successor of the NSX? I got bored at work the other day and started to read up on how the LFA came to be and it's reception when it came out. A lot of rave reviews for it, and some considering it as the greatest Japanese supercar to come out... and IIRC the last time people uttered those words was when the NSX was released in 1992.

No Love

Banned
Speaking realistically, no lol. The R/T Plus gives you the option of getting all the sporty goodness as well as the luxurious interior. Whereas the Scat Pack is somewhat of a barebones version of the SRT392, no leather seats and the like. And ultimately price... the R/T Plus I want comes out to $40K including everything I want, the Scat Pack would be around $45K without all the luxury stuff... and at that point the SRT392 will only be $2-3K more and it'll have everything that I want lol.

Anyway, nah Ford aren't crazy. If it can keep up with the Aventador and F12 then obviously nope, anything otherwise, then yeah they'd be crazy.

Speaking of supercars, as I missed the discussion earlier due to work...

Nissan's will hopefully go back to their idea of the GT-R being a supercar for the masses. I still remember when Nissan was hyping it up as a budget supercar, it didn't even take them 3 years before the price just ballooned and it got outside of budget supercar territory.

Thankfully, the Hellcat exists to remedy that.

Lastly, am I the only one who thinks that the Lexus LFA is the true successor of the NSX? I got bored at work the other day and started to read up on how the LFA came to be and it's reception when it came out. A lot of rave reviews for it, and some considering it as the greatest Japanese supercar to come out... and IIRC the last time people uttered those words was when the NSX was released in 1992.

The NSX came out in 1990, not 1992.

The LFA is not the true successor of the NSX. It didn't kick Ferrari (and everyone else) in the nuts like the NSX did. The NSX came out in 1990 and set the benchmark for years to come. In contrast, the LFA ended up being an expensive "me-too" supercar. It definitely didn't have the same impact the NSX did.

Palpable

Anyone have any suggestions for what my next wheels should be? I want them satin/flat black, preferably concave. I have a 2008 Dodge Charger.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

The car is gorgeous... absolutely gorgeous. I adore the Hellcat. I mentioned this when it was first unveiled - but it's maybe the fourth or fifth thing in my life where I've said to myself "I may have to move heaven and earth, but dammit, I'm going to own one some day."

That said, the standard R/T actually is in my price range. I test drove a '15 black on black/white leather RT plus a few weeks back, and it's a phenomenal cruising car. At 6'2", it had plenty of room. The interior was actually damn nice, the navigation/center stack was really nice, the sound system was good. The leather quality was nice. And while it's a heavy sucker, with almost 400hp, it has more than enough get-up-and-go. Mashing the throttle let the back in whip a bit on an onramp, and at highway speeds flooring it has a beautiful rumble and a good bit of "toss you in the seat." It's not ridiculously fast or scary fast - but it was still very satisfying.

Sticker was $38k, which is a bit out of my range. But looking online, it looks like I could easily snag the thing for about $34K if I really dug around and was willing to travel for pickup. And that's brand new, obviously.

The LFA is not the true successor of the NSX. It didn't kick Ferrari (and everyone else) in the nuts like the NSX did. The NSX came out in 1990 and set the benchmark for years to come. In contrast, the LFA ended up being an expensive "me-too" supercar. It definitely didn't have the same impact the NSX did.

I hope the new NSX kicks some serious ass...it's a baby P1 after all.

so the new golf R with stage 1 APR tune is running a 3.89 0-60 with a 11.9 quarter. these are APR claims and its a tuned VW so it can blow up any second, but thats fast regardless.

Lol this is what I get for drunk-GAF-ing last night.

I meant this as a spiritual successor if you will. The LFA, to me at least, seemed to embody the spirit of why Honda built the NSX. While this upcoming NSX is totally devoid of that spirit, and as I've mentioned countless of times now, Senna's probably spinning in his grave.

Honestly, if they stop calling it an NSX and change the name... I wouldn't mind it at all.

Halvie

Banned
so the new golf R with stage 1 APR tune is running a 3.89 0-60 with a 11.9 quarter. these are APR claims and its a tuned VW so it can blow up any second, but thats fast regardless.

Yeah, and APR is about the biggest bunch of fuck holes in the universe. Take it from the sucker that was the TSI stage 3+ 3071 and gtx2867 development car. They had my car three times for a total of just about two years. I'm still finding shit wrong with it from the last time I got it back in June. Unreal. Beyond disappointing.

STAY AWAY

Sedans are starting to bother me. Whatever they do with their grill to look tough, they always end up with similar body lines from there back. Use your fingers to block off the grill of that Jag and the rest is...any number of sedans.

Coupes are where it's at, is what I'm saying. That Jag does look nice though.

Smokey

Can't even order the hellcat brehs

demand has outstripped supply is what I'm being told from several dealers. Was told to check back in maybe 2 months or so but right now they done shut it down

ShowDog

The Jaguar XF looks more than a bit like a Kia Optima to me.

Of course, all sedans are 4 doors, a trunk, a hood and some bumpers so I usually get annoyed when people say two cars look alike. No shit, thousands of variations of the same thing will lead to similarities.

ascii42

Sedans are starting to bother me. Whatever they do with their grill to look tough, they always end up with similar body lines from there back. Use your fingers to block off the grill of that Jag and the rest is...any number of sedans.

Coupes are where it's at, is what I'm saying. That Jag does look nice though.

Coupes look nice, but I much prefer having a sedan.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
The new Jaguar XF is gorgeous.
No surprise.

I sat in an XF at the auto show here in Minneapolis, and I was really surprised by how damn quite it is inside.
We shut the doors and could barely hear the convention hall over a whisper level.

The new one looks just gorgeous.

hwalker84

Can't even order the hellcat brehs

demand has outstripped supply is what I'm being told from several dealers. Was told to check back in maybe 2 months or so but right now they done shut it down

My dealer offered me one for only $10000 more. I told them to fuck off.

Veal

Just bought a 2007 Mini Cooper (non s). Most fun I've ever had on the road! Now tell me how bad I fucked up haha! Pics coming soon!

Makki

The more articles I see about the upcoming Focus RS the more I want it. Never having preordered and bought a car at release, what is the norm for deposits on a car that will be worth around 34 grand? (not stating that as a fact)

The more articles I see about the upcoming Focus RS the more I want it. Never having preordered and bought a car at release, what is the norm for deposits on a car that will be worth around 34 grand? (not stating that as a fact)

Varies from dealer to dealer. I put down $1k to make sure my car ($26k) was in the next shipment the dealer was receiving. (I think he would have agreed to $500 if I had haggled. Delivery was a only a couple of weeks away though, so I didn't quibble). We completed the rest of the payment/paperwork when the dealership had possession of the car.

One think I would suggest. Get the final price in writing (email or hard copy) when you place the pre-order.

Jackson

We stopped at the Porsche dealer to look at a 918 they had on display last night and my friend took this of mah cur.

xFQLlrq.jpg

Man do I love my car. Looks so hawt, drives so well.

Zyzyxxz

Anyone have opinions on small vans? I know its not the most exciting purchase but I do want one for work/utility purposes since I tend to move around a lot of stuff for restaurant work and I could eventually use it for catering purposes as well.

Timeline is probably in another year but it's basically going to be between the Nissan NV200 or Ford Transit (maybe the Nissa e-NV200 if the price is reasonable and the range is acceptable). It'd be nice is Mercedes would bring over the Citano but they aren't considering that for now.

Hopefully if business is good I can get sporty car later down the line.

So I was at the Dallas Auto Show today... saw some beautiful cars, including the brand new Mazda Miata. Twitter sized pics for now as I still have to get it out of my DSLR.

CBN_fkbVAAAFqXX.jpg

CBN_fmHUcAAAVih.jpg

On that note, I also lost my self control and impulsively bought another car... another Miata to be exact.

:D

Top Bottom