• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Rad Agast

After a few weeks with my openflash tablet and lots of reading and data logging I've started to understand how this little engine works (kinda).

Caught a vacuum leak and had it fixed at the dealership last week. Changed spark plugs and injectors and will be doing my MAF scaling. I was surprised how lean the car runs on the stock tune.

Ordered STi engine and gear mounts from Japanparts and the catless openflash UEL header. That will probably arrive next month. I can't wait to get the boxer rumble ;-)

Next will be a full 2.5" resonated Perrin exhaust system.

Once I'm done with that I'll look into changing my final drive.

I'm enjoying this too much.

P.S. cool brz concept but I doubt anything like that will make it to production.

Different strokes I guess... I hate everything about this lol.
The way it looks like a crosstour (from the side), the ugly wing, the wanna be mega exhaust, teh stupid tiny mirrors. The rear lights are OK.

I like the Civic Type R hatchback concept a lot though.

I kind of agree with you on the looks, but I'm mainly just happy that Honda is even thinking like this now.

I'm with you on this one. I don't like it's looks but I'm pumped that Honda is starting to pull their head out of their ass and are finally bring the Type R over here.

I mean I wouldn't buy one coz it ain't RWD but the fact that it exists does give some hope that we could see a S2K revival... and the more RWD sports cars are available, the chances of me jumping ship are very very likely lol.

Anyway as for the thread, I do think there's some kind of elitism in all of us but I think it's just our passion for these machines showing, instead of outright hate.

And like I said before, the only car we all hate is the PT Cruiser lol.

But please, no more station wagon talk pls.

Yeah I hope they revive the S2000 as well. And on that note I hope Acura does something exciting...like what the fuck lol. Their entire lineup is goddam boring. Not a single MT available.

But honestly if they just leave all the good stuff to Honda I'll take that too :>

Hell, by the time this is out I may just end up going for a V6 Accord Coupe or something :/

minx

Had to pop in and comment on how ugly the front of the new Malibu is. What the fuck is Chevy thinking? Still the worst vehicle in the class.

Zyzyxxz

It doesn't devalue the 650S, it enters the mass market segment of supercars -- the $200k car. This is the most popular segment of super cars because it's the most affordable (for a super car). It's a huge jump in affordability between a $300k car (650S) and a $200k car.

Is it really that huge a jump in affordability? I'm just curious and I'm not sure if anyone has done surveys or polls on this but I am genuinely curious.

How many people are in the situation that they can justify a 200K car but not a 300K car?

In terms of average income is someone who makes $500K a year gonna go with a 200K and how much more income would they need to convince them to buy a $300K car? I don't know but I can gather at least in the United States I can't imagine there be that many upper class citizens who are itching for a super car in that unique position.

But what irks me about the McLaren 570S is that there's going to be a 540C model which will be slightly cheaper. I think the 540C at its estimated price level will be the "mass market" variant that separates the rich from very rich while the 570 will just occupy this strange in between of pretty rich but not very rich niche.

Whatever, I just hope I can afford a 540C at one point.... =(

Jackson

Is it really that huge a jump in affordability? I'm just curious and I'm not sure if anyone has done surveys or polls on this but I am genuinely curious.

How many people are in the situation that they can justify a 200K car but not a 300K car?

In terms of average income is someone who makes $500K a year gonna go with a 200K and how much more income would they need to convince them to buy a $300K car? I don't know but I can gather at least in the United States I can't imagine there be that many upper class citizens who are itching for a super car in that unique position.

But what irks me about the McLaren 570S is that there's going to be a 540C model which will be slightly cheaper. I think the 540C at its estimated price level will be the "mass market" variant that separates the rich from very rich while the 570 will just occupy this strange in between of pretty rich but not very rich niche.

Whatever, I just hope I can afford a 540C at one point.... =(

Sure, 540C will probably be in the $135k range (the mid-life crisis Dr. range lol) it will be actually affordable, unlike the 570S which won't be except to the single digit %ers. But I don't think there's a real supercar in this range. It's all high end sports cars (GTR, F-Type R, AMG GT-S, 911 S, R8 V8, etc.)

There's a reason there's a more selection at the $200k price point than the $300k price point. Especially in the used market.

In a dual income household where both partners make between $100k to $150k a year a $200k car is affordable (assuming you make it a priority, and since it's a super car... which is completely frivolous, it would have to be a priority for it to work). Making $100k to $150k per person is also much more feasible than both people making double that. Also a lot more jobs top out around the $100k-$150k range meaning more people are able to achieve that household income than say $250k per person (or $500k per person).

Over a 5 year loan a $200k car is around $3,500 a month while a $300k car is around $6,000 a month. It's not insignificant unless you're making a lot of cash, then sure... what's the difference!

Think of it like this. The average car price in America is $30k, the average household income is $50k. Can someone at $50k afford $40k? Sure, but it begins to become a stretch real quick. And it only gets worse from there, right? Same idea.

Affordability is always exponential.

The question becomes if the 650 is more worth it at all with the 570 out there. An extra 100k for what, 80hp? Same chassis and suspension design? Prestige?

What I'm thinking is that many potential 650 buyers will stick with the 570 instead.

Edit: To expand a little bit, it's just too similar to the 650 in its looks, design, character, etc. I'm sure 570/650 overall sales will increase but I think some of that will be cannibalized from 650 sales. Imagine Ferrari making a baby 458 with 60 less hp but the same chassis, suspension, and exciting looks. Might be they'd make some more sales but 458 owners would be pissed, as if Ferrari had done a cheap knockoff of their own vehicle that was nearly as good anyway.

jey_16

Banned
really think McLaren could come up with some better names now, so far we have had the

MP4-12C
650S
625C
675LT
P1
570S
540S

Yeah I thought US would be getting the Hatch Version like Europe.
honda-civic-type-r-rear_2.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Got the exhaust done on my M56S. Have a listen:

https://clyp.it/2uqmrwyy

Best of all, it doesn't have one bit of drone to it. No cabin noise. Inside there is hardly a discernible difference (car has harmonic noise cancelation and a good deal of deadening). But on the outside... :D

:D

ShowDog

I'm kind of confused. Is America getting the Type R we've seen in Europe or just a civic above with that engine?

It is definitely odd that they announced a new worldwide Civic before the European Type R based on the old platform was even released. The new Type R will be based on the new Civic, and we definitely aren't getting the "old" European one.

The announcement was a bit tricky in that they said NA is getting the new worldwide Civic in coupe, sedan, hatch, SI and Type R starting with the coupe for 2016. I figure the Euro Type R will sell over there to fill the gap for 2-3 years or so until the new Type R is ready, so don't hold your breath. If it takes 1 year past initial launch for the hatch and SI to be released it'll likely be year 2 before a Type R is released.

FStop7

Banned
Two of the most amazingly d-baggy moves I've seen pulled in traffic this week were both executed by d-bags in brand new M4s. Glad to see the the M3's reputation as the car for cocks is back in full effect.

Also, it sounds absolutely wretched. Worst sounding exhaust in ages. I didn't think making an M car that sounded worse than the E46 M3 was possible...

mkenyon

Banned

Best of all, it doesn't have one bit of drone to it. No cabin noise. Inside there is hardly a discernible difference (car has harmonic noise cancelation and a good deal of deadening). But on the outside... :D

That sounds godly.
Two of the most amazingly d-baggy moves I've seen pulled in traffic this week were both executed by d-bags in brand new M4s. Glad to see the the M3's reputation as the car for cocks is back in full effect.

Also, it sounds absolutely wretched. Worst sounding exhaust in ages. I didn't think making an M car that sounded worse than the E46 M3 was possible...
Does this mean that Audi RSs are now exempt? Or are there just more total assholes out and about now in multiple cars?

FStop7

Banned
That sounds godly.

Does this mean that Audi RSs are now exempt? Or are there just more total assholes out and about now in multiple cars?

It's been a while since I've seen an Audi RS. Like a year since the last time I saw an RS5. I think the age of Audi cocks has passed and the crown (glans?) has returned to BMW.

ascii42

Just got out of Furious 7. Not sure how that series has managed to have 7 movies in it, but I'm glad it has.

That's a nice noise.

Sounds freakin' awesome!

But I do kinda miss that signature Infiniti sound though... or was that only limited to the VQ's?

I can actually pick out the sound of a bunch of Infiniti's and the Nissan Z's. Why I dunno, but yeah lol. Meanwhile I can't even recognize the sound of a Mazda unless I'm focusing on it haha.

AlphaSnake

That sounds godly.

That's a nice noise.

It still has the stock mufflers on so it looks factory. But when it starts...roar. :O

Sounds freakin' awesome!

But I do kinda miss that signature Infiniti sound though... or was that only limited to the VQ's?

I can actually pick out the sound of a bunch of Infiniti's and the Nissan Z's. Why I dunno, but yeah lol. Meanwhile I can't even recognize the sound of a Mazda unless I'm focusing on it haha.

Yeah, that burbly V6 sound was limited to just the VQ35 on the RWD platforms, 350Z, G35, FX35, and M35 (albeit, the M was more muffled). That was definitely an extremely distinct exhaust noise. Infiniti shouldn't have gotten rid of it, but alas they caved to the surveys who wanted more luxury. Blah blah blah

AlphaSnake

See my review of the M4 on the last page. It is a truly bad sounding car. It's louder in the cabin than it actually is outside.

AlphaSnake

I simply don't understand how it hit production sounding like it does. It's baffling.

I didn't expect a high compression, high output, high revving, 3.0L I6 with two turbos to sound good, honestly. Not even the aftermarket has been able to make it sound better...everything literally sounds worse.

FStop7

Banned
It's a shame because aesthetically, it's a nice looking car. Really nice. And for better or for worse, M division has become more and more focused on aesthetics - see the exhaust-through-speakers gimmick... So when they try to make a car so aesthetically pleasing, why completely drop the ball on arguably the most important aspect - how it sounds? Bizarre.

Evo X

So what do you guys think of the new Boxster Spyder unveiled at the New York Auto Show?

375BHP, ~2,800lbs making it the lightest current production Porsche. Unique wheels and body panels. Like the GT4, manual transmission only. Starting at $83K base.

Reviews should be pretty good considering it's predecessor was named best handling car in the world by many publications.

JcPAOCc.jpg

dsTIVou.jpg

r4lbD1h.jpg

pdCtnHt.jpg

61iD6Qd.jpg

16372669584_d516d8b10d_o.jpg

TTTR

Already seen a few of them in Stuttgart.
I have to say i'm not a fan of the boxster models normally. Never owned one (albeit i almost bought one many years ago) but have driven them on several occasions. They are very fun to drive but i don't like the look.

Fun fact: when the situation allows and i'm in the office not working i'm looking out the window when i hear exotic sounding cars. a few days ago i look out and see a spyder. :)

[EDIT]: will you do an international delivery Evo X?

Evo X

Here's a quick video of it in action. I wish I lived in the someplace where I had access to roads like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdIa4SsbRCU

will you do an international delivery Evo X?

I wasn't planning on it initially as I was hoping for July delivery, but since that does not seem likely anymore, I would probably plan a European delivery for Fall 2015 or Spring 2016. It seems like it would be a trip of a lifetime.

How's the weather over there in October?

I think this is a better fit for what I want out of a car right now than the GT4...

Yeah, I agree with you. The GT4 is very race focused, and I barely track my cars. The Spyder probably makes a better street car, along with having the option to enjoy the elements when you feel like it.

The GT4 will probably earn you more bragging rights at car meets, but who gives a shit.

WHAT! MT only? But how will the rich daddy's girls drive it?

You're looking at it the wrong way bruh.

These are the honeys that you need to find.

Seduce them, not to get into their pants, but to get in their Boxster, let you drive it like a maniac and watch them proceed to madly fall in love with you, and then, only then can you get into their pants.

So now, you've got a good-looking gal who's got old money and who at least understands cars... wife her obviously and gain old money to fund your auto-enthusiast hobby... and the rest they say is history.

This is quite a solid plan imo. Hardest thing you've gotta do is seduce her, but it shouldn't be that hard if you've got a little bit of game in you lol.

Jackson

Already seen a few of them in Stuttgart.

You're from Stuttgart? I'm going there in like 2 weeks! Totally going to the Porsche museum & Benz museum.

What's good food/beer and fun to do in/near Stuttgart?

RE: Spyder. I hate that drop top style. If I lived in LA and could keep the top down all the time I wouldn't mind it.

J-Rzez

So a few of my friends caught that bug going around here and we had to cancel our trip to the NYIAS. Really wanted to see that blue on the Focus RS in person, heard it was really hard to capture on camera. And just see the car in person. First NYIAS i'll be missing in years. : /

In other news guess it's circulating around the Supra won't be a hybrid? Best news I heard in a while. Hopefully they peg it in the right price range too. I mean, it's a Z4 chassis, I6 Turbo. So maybe Corvette pricing? If so, color me interested.

ShowDog

So what do you guys think of the new Boxster Spyder unveiled at the New York Auto Show?

375BHP, ~2,800lbs making it the lightest current production Porsche. Unique wheels and body panels. Like the GT4, manual transmission only. Starting at $83K base.

Reviews should be pretty good considering it's predecessor was named best handling car in the world by many publications.

I love it. I'm a fan of roadsters, it looks great and 375hp at 2800 lbs will be ridiculous. Unfortunately, it's out of my price range and couldn't serve as a DD at that with the ridiculous roof, so it may as well be a Countach to me.

But $82k base does seem like a fair price if you can afford spend that $ on a toy, and it seems many here can. Someone should buy one...

RE: Spyder. I hate that drop top style. If I lived in LA and could keep the top down all the time I wouldn't mind it.

Even if you lived in LA you would have to be careful where you parked it with that top. It would be a fantastic drive though.

ameratsu

Toyota and Subaru in talks for second-gen GT86

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/04/second-generation-scion-fr-s-discussions-ongoing.html

Speaking to AutoGuide at the New York International Auto Show, where Scion debuted two all new models, he didn’t hide his enthusiasm for a next-gen FR-S. “As the Scion team we’d like to see a next-generation FR-S,” he said. “There aren’t any confirmed deals but there are encouraging discussions going on between Subaru and Toyota.”

In the mean time Scion is prepping a mid-cycle update for the FR-S, which Murtha says is “not too far down the road.” But those looking for more power from the 2.0-liter boxer 4-cylinder engine won’t be pleased. Murtha said the update is, “a refresh to keep it current,” but, “not a complete rework of the concept.”

When pushed, he said the updates are really, “more cosmetic.”

Evo X

Got the chance to take an extended drive of a 911 S and Cayman GTS back to back today.

Since there is no hope of getting a GT4 or Spyder until the end of this year at the earliest, I still want a sports car to drive in the meantime to enjoy the summer.

Took the 911 out first. Very refined, relatively quite without the sports exhaust option, PDK was excellent as expected. Biggest takeaway was that grip for acceleration and powering out of turns was monumental. Great looks, build quality, interior tech, comfort, and performance. Not much to fault here. There is a reason this has been a motoring icon for over 50 years.

Next I took out a 6spd manual Cayman GTS. This one also had the optional X73 sports suspension instead of the standard PASM.

God DAMN, this is what driving is all about!

I instantly felt more comfortable in the sports plus seats, holding the alcantara wheel in my hands. Started it up, and that sports exhaust sounds GLORIOUS. You can also hear the engine so much better since it's mounted right behind your head. Instant steering response and amazing balance flowing through the curves. The 6spd unit in this car has also got to be the sweetest shifting manual I have ever experience. Strong, positive, and short throws. It feels like a go kart you can just fling around like a hooligan. I had the biggest smile on my face pretty much the whole time I was driving it.

The funny thing is that there was about a $40K gulf between the two cars($87K C-GTS and $129K Carrera S) and honestly, money being no object, I would STILL choose the Cayman GTS. I dare any sports car enthusiast to drive both and come to a different conclusion.

All this begs the question, if the GTS is this good, how fucking amazing are the GT4 and Spyder going to be?

Guess I'll find out when it gets here, but until then, I've told my sales guy to look into possibly procuring a new Guards Red 6spd GTS for me that's a few states over.

Jackson

Got the chance to take an extended drive of a 911 S and Cayman GTS back to back today.

Since there is no hope of getting a GT4 or Spyder until the end of this year at the earliest, I still want a sports car to drive in the meantime to enjoy the summer.

Took the 911 out first. Very refined, relatively quite without the sports exhaust option, PDK was excellent as expected. Biggest takeaway was that grip for acceleration and powering out of turns was monumental. Great looks, build quality, interior tech, comfort, and performance. Not much to fault here. There is a reason this has been a motoring icon for over 50 years.

Next I took out a 6spd manual Cayman GTS. This one also had the optional X73 sports suspension instead of the standard PASM.

God DAMN, this is what driving is all about!

I instantly felt more comfortable in the sports plus seats, holding the alcantara wheel in my hands. Started it up, and that sports exhaust sounds GLORIOUS. You can also hear the engine so much better since it's mounted right behind your head. Instant steering response and amazing balance flowing through the curves. The 6spd unit in this car has also got to be the sweetest shifting manual I have ever experience. Strong, positive, and short throws. It feels like a go kart you can just fling around like a hooligan. I had the biggest smile on my face pretty much the whole time I was driving it.

The funny thing is that there was about a $40K gulf between the two cars($87K C-GTS and $129K Carrera S) and honestly, money being no object, I would STILL choose the Cayman GTS. I dare any sports car enthusiast to drive both and come to a different conclusion.

All this begs the question, if the GTS is this good, how fucking amazing are the GT4 and Spyder going to be?

Guess I'll find out when it gets here, but until then, I've told my sales guy to look into possibly procuring a new Guards Red 6spd GTS for me that's a few states over.

The GTS was the only car I test drove twice lol. Also 6MT with Sport suspension is my build as well. :) It's so epic.

The Non-GT3/2/Turbo S 911's has a prestigious name and that's it. I also think the styling is too subdued too compared to the 981 Cayman. You just can't go wrong with it for the price. It has everything all in one package. Took my bike on an island run with some friends today and was thinking this would be fun in my car too. Lol

Sounds like you can never going wrong with a Cayman.

Also regarding convertibles... I love my Miata but eh. Maybe it's coz I'm in Texas and I'm only able to drop the top in 2 seasons(Spring/Fall) but to me, it's kinda hit or miss.

Like for example, I never dropped the top on the way to school for fear of looking douchey and smelling like the damn sun all day, so I tended to drop it on the way home. But then when you drop it and the temps are just right, it's the 2nd best feeling in the world, right behind of course that thing lol.

Like today for example, got off work early, dropped the top and went for a cruise, on the nicer roads and "slower" roads it was fine, but the moment I got on the highway and hit around 80-90mph there's a fantastic and weird feeling that goes with it. Fantastic because you're blasting down on the passing lane and everything is whizzing past you so quick, it's exhilarating but also weird because if shit goes down... welp lol.

Tbh, I rarely ever drop the top when I get on the highway. I always put it back up before I get on, and if I want to drive with the top down I'm 99% going to take the longer way to get there, so it kinda works out.

http://www.torquenews.com/1574/breaking-news-civic-type-r-destined-united-states-not-based-euro-spec

According to these guys the NA Type R won't be the European version.

If that's the case and Honda wants to do this seriously, they need to put an AWD powertrain in it. They already have great powertrains in the Acuras, it would be madness for them to even bother going FWD against the WRX and Focus RS. If they screw this up I'd definitely just end up with a WRX lol.

If this is the case then meh.

On the bright side, at least 25% of Honda's head is finally out of it's ass, hopefully the remaining 75% can come out soon and bring some good stuff, otherwise all this is for nothing imo.

Edit: Forgot to add this... been playing Cities Skylines and made my own "racetrack" haha.

Inspired by nowhere really, just trying to figure out the curved road system. Though I'm probably gonna try to recreate my fave, Laguna Seca, one of these days lol.

Sadly you can't make real racetracks in the game. :(

Smokey

Sounds like you can never going wrong with a Cayman.

Also regarding convertibles... I love my Miata but eh. Maybe it's coz I'm in Texas and I'm only able to drop the top in 2 seasons(Spring/Fall) but to me, it's kinda hit or miss.

Like for example, I never dropped the top on the way to school for fear of looking douchey and smelling like the damn sun all day, so I tended to drop it on the way home. But then when you drop it and the temps are just right, it's the 2nd best feeling in the world, right behind of course that thing lol.

Like today for example, got off work early, dropped the top and went for a cruise, on the nicer roads and "slower" roads it was fine, but the moment I got on the highway and hit around 80-90mph there's a fantastic and weird feeling that goes with it. Fantastic because you're blasting down on the passing lane and everything is whizzing past you so quick, it's exhilarating but also weird because if shit goes down... welp lol.

Tbh, I rarely ever drop the top when I get on the highway. I always put it back up before I get on, and if I want to drive with the top down I'm 99% going to take the longer way to get there, so it kinda works out.

It's definitely a pretty cool feeling. I'm also in Texas so I get where you're coming from. I'll drive with the top down on a nice day on the highway some times. It's a definite rush but like you said an accident and it's gg.

Next car won't be a convertible though. I'll keep this one for those days where we just want to head out on a nice day and drive around.

Evo X

Hey Alpha, is there any way you can get your hands on a Cayman GTS for a test drive?

I'm really curious to hear your opinion on it after reading your M4 review, because in many ways, it seems to be the antithesis of that car.

Zyzyxxz

You're looking at it the wrong way bruh.

These are the honeys that you need to find.

Seduce them, not to get into their pants, but to get in their Boxster, let you drive it like a maniac and watch them proceed to madly fall in love with you, and then, only then can you get into their pants.

So now, you've got a good-looking gal who's got old money and who at least understands cars... wife her obviously and gain old money to fund your auto-enthusiast hobby... and the rest they say is history.

This is quite a solid plan imo. Hardest thing you've gotta do is seduce her, but it shouldn't be that hard if you've got a little bit of game in you lol.

I've got as much game as a broken NES.

But on a serious note, I like how the Boxster has evolved from the girls Porsche to something respectable.

Hey Alpha, is there any way you can get your hands on a Cayman GTS for a test drive?

I'm really curious to hear your opinion on it after reading your M4 review, because in many ways, it seems to be the antithesis of that car.
Hey Evo, I've been reading your posts for a while here and I was wondering.
What do you drive and what do you do for a living? Just curious.

AlphaSnake

Shit...I'd love to pop into a Porsche dealer and do so. But it's highly unlikely this is the kind of car they'd let you do that with. And I doubt there are any press cars in my region for me to borrow. :\

But if I ever do come across the opportunity, I'm jumping on it.

Top Bottom