• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

Hey Evo, I've been reading your posts for a while here and I was wondering.
What do you drive and what do you do for a living? Just curious.

Web development and marketing.

Recently sold my Boxster S to pick up another Porsche, so driving my other car at the moment, a 2013 BMW 550i M Sport. Still got a 2014 Triumph Street Triple R for fun, but don't know how long I'm gonna keep that. Been contemplating the risk/reward of riding motorcycles lately.

I don't know what he does but I bet he'd be driving a Ferrari if he had worked harder.

qVbUArb.gif

Shit...I'd love to pop into a Porsche dealer and do so. But it's highly unlikely this is the kind of car they'd let you do that with. And I doubt there are any press cars in my region for me to borrow. :\

But if I ever do come across the opportunity, I'm jumping on it.

Yeah, definitely do. I think their cars are right up your alley. BMW M's have become heavier, less raw, and turned more into comfy/sporty daily drivers like AMG.

While Porsche's modern cars have also become more luxurious and filled with tech, they still retain their motorsport heritage and DNA.

It's definitely a pretty cool feeling. I'm also in Texas so I get where you're coming from. I'll drive with the top down on a nice day on the highway some times. It's a definite rush but like you said an accident and it's gg.

Next car won't be a convertible though. I'll keep this one for those days where we just want to head out on a nice day and drive around.

Yeah, I'm waiting for when the weather's nice again on a slooow day and drop the top and try to hit the triple digit mark and see how I feel about it lol.

Last time I did something like that, the top was up, ground was wet and the temperatures were hovering around the freezing mark. It's quite a wonder I survived that day considering that 3 hours before I did that, I almost lost control of my car in a super tight hairpin and almost shat my pants.

But yeah, my next car too is definitely gonna be a comfortable cruiser... no need for a droptop since I'll still have my Miata. It just needs to be RWD, super comfy and a stick at least.
I'm still having thoughts about that RX-8 from a while back since it's still on sale lol.

I've got as much game as a broken NES.

But on a serious note, I like how the Boxster has evolved from the girls Porsche to something respectable.

Haha. Game is really easy to learn though, it's having confidence or at least fake confidence to push you through to start learning the game.

But yeah, it seems like a lot of purpose built convertibles start out life that way. Even the mighty S2000 couldn't escape that girly car status until a few dipshits wrapped a couple of AP1's around many trees in the world.

I don't know what he does but I bet he'd be driving a Ferrari if he had worked harder.

Shots fired? Lololol.

grendelrt

Web development and marketing.

Recently sold my Boxster S to pick up another Porsche, so driving my other car at the moment, a 2013 BMW 550i M Sport. Still got a 2014 Triumph Street Triple R for fun, but don't know how long I'm gonna keep that. Been contemplating the risk/reward of riding motorcycles lately.
I sold my R6 when I bought my Cayman, extra money for the car plus the same risk/reward thoughts.

grendelrt

I had a car nearly clip me last fall, literally inches from my kneecap, but somehow I can't fathom giving up my bike. I love my slow little sportster.
It was hard, I was really sad when my friend came and picked it up. I figure I can always buy something new later, maybe when I hit my mid life crisis :O

TCRS

Banned
whats with all these rich cunts in here. everyone post shitboxes:

xpFKrcw.jpg

my current pos (not my pic). steering is nice and light but if I go over 70 mph I can't feel shit lol. kind of thrilling. I don't think the french built suspensions in small cars back then. the best thing is the fuel economy though, that thing sips fuel.

xpFKrcw.jpg

my current pos (not my pic). steering is nice and light but if I go over 60 mph I can't feel shit lol. kind of thrilling. I don't think the french built suspensions in small cars back then. the best thing is the fuel economy, that thing sips fuel.

I agree, let's get more shitboxes up in here

I've been looking for a Evo X for a little while now, and it seems like they are either over priced for the Km's on it, or the dealer is sitting on 2014/15 models that they want stupid money for. There's hadly any to choose from and I'd most likely have to purchase one out of my province...

I even looked at the dark side for a STI and it's no better. I have more to choose from closer to me, but people seem to think they are made with gold (and good lord at the hatch prices)...

Ugh, I need a car by May/June but it's not looking too good for me...

mkenyon

Banned
I've been looking for a Evo X for a little while now, and it seems like they are either over priced for the Km's on it, or the dealer is sitting on 2014/15 models that they want stupid money for. There's hadly any to choose from and I'd most likely have to purchase one out of my province...

I even looked at the dark side for a STI and it's no better. I have more to choose from closer to me, but people seem to think they are made with gold (and good lord at the hatch prices)...

Yeah, they must be easy to sell if they're still going for the prices people are asking for. I was blown away when I was buying my last car, was thinking about an Evo X, but at those prices with that kind of mileage put on them (and you know they're not easy miles), it's just too much.

ascii42

xpFKrcw.jpg

my current pos (not my pic). steering is nice and light but if I go over 70 mph I can't feel shit lol. kind of thrilling. I don't think the french built suspensions in small cars back then. the best thing is the fuel economy though, that thing sips fuel.

While it's not a shitbox (at least not in my opinion), my 1989 Buick Riviera isn't exactly the best car ever. The 160 hp 3.8L V6 doesn't exactly put it in the same league as the cars posted in this thread. Nor does the geriatric-tuned air suspension. What seems like forever ago, I brought it to a guy my dad knew to get some dents and scrapes fixed. This past weekend, I finally had a chance to go pick it up from my parents' house. So at least the outside looks quite nice for a 26 year old car. Interior needs a bit of work, couple tears in the leather on the driver's seat and door (and of course it's an 80s GM car so apart from the nice comfortable seats, the interior is full of cheap crappy materials). The speakers are shot and sometimes the cassette deck doesn't want to play or eject (not that I'd use it that much anyway). CRT touchscreen still works, though, fortunately, since that's what got me interested in the car in the first place.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Do it. Been enjoying the absolute piss out of mine.

In fact...

Just spent the day driving across the Californian coastal range and stumbled upon the most batshit insane stretch of tarmac ever, and I live in mountain country, so this is saying something.

Behold, Hopland rd
https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...2!3m1!1s0x8083e4f935825fef:0x64b026689423ca81

Hopland.jpg

Originally constructed in the early 1920s, it is one of the steepest and most difficult to drive of any California state highway. Indeed, until recently it was called the "crookedest road in California".

Narrow roads. Nothing but 15-25 mph corners. Huge elevation change as you ascend and descend a mountain range. Cliffs. Few guard rails. Sweaty palms. Butt checks clenched.

Not a shitbox but one of Jalopnik's awesome columnists just picked this baby up:

Yes, your eyes aren't deceiving you... that is indeed an R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R parked right in front of the US Congress in Washington, DC.

Dude imported legally just to write articles for Jalopnik on how to import it and of course the struggles of having a RHD car in a LHD world lol.

This car is actually cheap(around $25k including the actual car, import fees, registration, and all that stuff needed to get this thing legally in the US), that he actually bought another car to write for Jalopnik:

Yep, a yellow Hummer H1.

Best part is, he sold this:

...to fund his purchase of the GT-R and the H1 lolol.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Not a shitbox but one of Jalopnik's awesome columnists just picked this baby up:

Yes, your eyes aren't deceiving you... that is indeed an R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R parked right in front of the US Congress in Washington, DC.

Dude imported legally just to write articles for Jalopnik on how to import it and of course the struggles of having a RHD car in a LHD world lol.

This car is actually cheap(around $25k including the actual car, import fees, registration, and all that stuff needed to get this thing legally in the US), that he actually bought another car to write for Jalopnik:

Yep, a yellow Hummer H1.

Best part is, he sold this:

...to fund his purchase of the GT-R and the H1 lolol.

Yeah. Doug's a bit of oddball, but a funny writer.

I wonder why that R32 has R34 wheels on it, though. They almost look too big for it.

I agree, let's get more shitboxes up in here

ok, here's one of mine.

My current daily driver, because out of my 6 cars it currently has the least amount of problems. It's an 83 datsun maxima. It has a shitty automatic transmission and is slow, but the a/c works. It has S13 knuckles on it, so it also has s13 brakes and coilovers. The rear is just cut springs for now.

AlphaSnake

Holy shit... a 1st gen Maxima. I would fix up the rear damage you got back there. Those things should start going up in value.

Also, I remember that car being in one of the earliest episodes of Pimp My Ride. Hahaha

Here's my shitbox. Stolen for 6 weeks, came back missing shift knob, speakers, stereo head unit, spare tire, jack (left the tire iron though), $25 pep boys generic open air filter, and whatever else I had in the trunk (a textbook, some clothes). Felt so violated once I got it back but hey, still works as a backup car. I even drove it without an air filter for a bit, lmao. The only thing missing from this picture is the steering wheel club I now park it with all the time.

T5Zyfqb.jpg

Though some would argue my 14 Civic Si is the real shitbox

Zyzyxxz

Holy shit... a 1st gen Maxima. I would fix up the rear damage you got back there. Those things should start going up in value.

Also, I remember that car being in one of the earliest episodes of Pimp My Ride. Hahaha

First time I've even seen one on the internet.

TCRS

Banned
ok, here's one of mine.

My current daily driver, because out of my 6 cars it currently has the least amount of problems. It's an 83 datsun maxima. It has a shitty automatic transmission and is slow, but the a/c works. It has S13 knuckles on it, so it also has s13 brakes and coilovers. The rear is just cut springs for now.

what a beauty, I love old japanese cars. show interior pls.

I wonder why that R32 has R34 wheels on it, though. They almost look too big for it.

Doug is one of my favorite car dudes in the industry. He's like a less-intelligent version of Mr.Regular(from Regular Car Reviews) but makes up for it to his ridiculous amount of sarcasm, wit and of course doing whatever the fnck he wants.

Speaking of shitboxes, how come LiquidSnake hasn't posted pictures of his BRZ yet?

Troll-face.png

Welp...

+1 for Alpha for excellent use of the Seinfeld gif.

Just wondering in general.
Do you guys prefer pushbutton start or do you like turning the key? Or does it not matter?
I've always liked turning a key but I would not be opposed to the other option.

Do you guys prefer pushbutton start or do you like turning the key? Or does it not matter?

Keyless entry and push to start are the best. Of all the features in my new car that's my favorite. Not having to take my keys out of my pocket ever is great. Can never go back.

ruxtpin

Banned

When he lived in GA he would bring his Ferrari to the local C&O. Never met him, but I realized he was in the area and remembered his car after reading a few of his articles. I can see why he's entertaining, but I find his writing style a bit annoying; paragraphs of dopey metaphors fluffing a rather simple point (ie new Lexus redesign should have 3 rows because of reasons, but I gotta' sift thru a bunch of fluff to get to the point).

J-Rzez

I'm always kind of torn on this. Love the button, but love the twist of the key. Just like I love true manual transmissions.

Now to email Pagani again to put in a key usage/start up system like the one used in the lions of Voltron.

I'm always kind of torn on this. Love the button, but love the twist of the key. Just like I love true manual transmissions.

Same.

Although what they really need to work on is a remote start for manual transmissions... unless of course that already exists and I don't know about it lol.

Those things are so useful... especially GM's I think where it'll heat up the car or cool down depending on the temperature outside.

J-Rzez

Same.

Although what they really need to work on is a remote start for manual transmissions... unless of course that already exists and I don't know about it lol.

Those things are so useful... especially GM's I think where it'll heat up the car or cool down depending on the temperature outside.

They do. I had one on my Evo for 9 years. :)

Compustar had units to do this. Way it worked was when you parked your foot was on the brake, you pull up the e-brake, foot off the brake, take the key out of the ignition (car will still be running), then you had "x" seconds to get out of the car. Once you closed the door, car shuts off. This told the system the car is in neutral and it's OK to start. If you open a door (wired to dome lights believe it or not for detection of door opening), it deactivates the remote start capability for safety.

Good stuff. Don't have it in my WRX, and I missed it this horrible winter. Might get it installed next winter, but I maybe getting rid of it in spring/summer.

Here ya go:
http://www.compustar.com/remotestart-and-security/RF-P2W901-SS.php

They do. I had one on my Evo for 9 years. :)

Compustar had units to do this. Way it worked was when you parked your foot was on the brake, you pull up the e-brake, foot off the brake, take the key out of the ignition (car will still be running), then you had "x" seconds to get out of the car. Once you closed the door, car shuts off. This told the system the car is in neutral and it's OK to start. If you open a door (wired to dome lights believe it or not for detection of door opening), it deactivates the remote start capability for safety.

Good stuff. Don't have it in my WRX, and I missed it this horrible winter. Might get it installed next winter, but I maybe getting rid of it in spring/summer.

Here ya go:
http://www.compustar.com/remotestart-and-security/RF-P2W901-SS.php

Well what do you know... here's even a YouTube video to show how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuvFDxb4hCk

That's actually quite cool! I'll definitely put it in my "mods to consider" list for my Miata lol.

ShowDog

When he lived in GA he would bring his Ferrari to the local C&O. Never met him, but I realized he was in the area and remembered his car after reading a few of his articles. I can see why he's entertaining, but I find his writing style a bit annoying; paragraphs of dopey metaphors fluffing a rather simple point (ie new Lexus redesign should have 3 rows because of reasons, but I gotta' sift thru a bunch of fluff to get to the point).

Yeah he's got a writing formula that gets real tiring after awhile. He's been featured on Jalopnik for almost two years and still hasn't gotten much better, but I like that he does whatever the fuck he wants without giving a shit. Quitting a well-paying job and wasting tens of thousands to buy cars to become a (bad) writer?! That is fucking ballsy.

AlphaSnake

I 150% agree with you. His writing can be too heavy handed and fucking annoying. I skip at least 3-4 sentences of every paragraph.

J-Rzez

Well what do you know... here's even a YouTube video to show how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuvFDxb4hCk

That's actually quite cool! I'll definitely put it in my "mods to consider" list for my Miata lol.

One word of advice. If you're taking it to a shop, make sure it's one that knows how to do these installs. If you hear the phrase, "yes, we install remote starts all the time, you don't need one of those fancy manual units, we just zip or wire tie down the safety/start plunger on the clutch and..." cross that shop off your list, fast lol.

But like said, I had great luck with Compustar. Would buy their products again.

Top Bottom