• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ascii42

mercedes and cadillac just remind me of old men. all i can see is grey haired guys in their 40s driving them. they just aren't sexy or aggressive looking to me.

i drive a 328 right now so all those points don't mean shit to me lol. everything about an M4 is better than mine.

also, some of your points aren't that big of a deal. i happen to like the pop out screen. the new C63 has the same thing. i also like the heated steering wheel, the HUD, and back up cameras. i like technology in my cars. i really don't see how the interior feels cheap though. i quite like the look and feel of it.

i've never driven a high performance car like the M4 so i can't really make a comparison.

i mean just look at it...

SNgyZyj.jpg
Cadillac makes you think of people in their 40s? I guess Cadillac should look at that as progress.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Kind of how I feel. I drive a 2008 335i. By default any of these cars are better than mine, so it's quite hard (in my head) to nitpick certain things.

He told us to talk him out of it. So that's what I'm doing. LOL

AlphaSnake

I'd rather get the M4 in stick, personally. That car base comes with pretty much every option you need. Just add the audio upgrade for $900 and you're good. For $77K though? Hell no.

someone talk me out of buying this all blacked out M4 at my dealer. it's only $77k. i want it so bad.......

Easy, do you wanna be associated with this idiot? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miA5qj5ergM

Kidding aside, I think Alpha's review pretty much sums up why it's a no go.

Cadillac makes you think of people in their 40s? I guess Cadillac should look at that as progress.

Lol. As somebody in their mid 20's, I can't lie... the new ATS-V and CTS-V look gorgeous as fnck. Especially the ATS-V... I fell in love with it when I saw it at the auto show a few weeks ago.

bcl0328

I'd rather get the M4 in stick, personally. That car base comes with pretty much every option you need. Just add the audio upgrade for $900 and you're good. For $77K though? Hell no.

this is how it's built

Black Sapphire
Black Extended Merino leather
Driver Assistance Plus
Executive Package
Lighting Package
Adaptive M Suspension
19" Black light-alloy wheels style 437M
Automatic High beams
Harmon Kardon
Enhanced USB and Bluetooth
MSRP: $77,400

and yes it's stick. the only option i could do without would be the enhance USB and Bluetooth. the rest i want anyway. i really, really like the cameras. i park in some tight spots and have already curbed two rims. i guess i suck at driving, but cameras would help me a lot. can't live without the comfort access, heated seats, and HUD now. also the LED headlights are sexy af.

Don't be so quick to write off Mercedes and Cadillac due to image issues. You make the car whatever you want it to be.

What is it you want out of the BMW, anyway? Is it the performance or just the look of the thing?

And seriously the car's exhaust sounds like a hot, wet fart, don't buy it.

bcl0328

Don't be so quick to write off Mercedes and Cadillac due to image issues. You make the car whatever you want it to be.

What is it you want out of the BMW, anyway? Is it the performance or just the look of the thing?

And seriously the car's exhaust sounds like a hot, wet fart, don't buy it.

i like the performance and the looks of the M4. the exhaust would be the first and probably only upgrade i would do. i don't care if the cedes or caddy has better performance. if i don't like how they look then i won't be happy with buying them. not even thinking about image issues, they just have too much chrome, huge grills, i don't like the lines or the headlights on either, they just don't look aggressive to me.

i quite like the interior of the M4. in my opinion both the cedes and caddy interior are atrocious. so that's another huge deal breaker for me.

Smokey

i like the performance and the looks of the M4. the exhaust would be the first and probably only upgrade i would do. i don't care if the cedes or caddy has better performance. if i don't like how they look then i won't be happy with buying them. not even thinking about image issues, they just have too much chrome, huge grills, i don't like the lines or the headlights on either, they just don't look aggressive to me.

i quite like the interior of the M4. in my opinion both the cedes and caddy interior are atrocious. so that's another huge deal breaker for me.

I have BMW bias too....but

Bruh

You are 100% wrong on the Mercedes interior. They destroy BMW.

jey_16

Banned
it sounds like you have already made up your mind and if I could get an M4, i would.

C63 or M3/M4, either way i think your getting a great car. There might be slight advantages to each (I prefer the exterior of the M cars but the interiors of the new C class are fantastic) but just buy whatever puts a bigger smile on your face and forget about the rest

Nobody says "cedes", that's weird.

Have you considered Audi? I admit I don't know much about them but the RS5 is a beautiful car, at least.

PS - Of all of the aftermarket M4 exhaust I have heard, none of them make any tangible improvements.

PPS - If you like BMWs why not get the last M3? I think it's still a better looking car and that V8 buddy.

PPPS - Seriously the new M4 is stupid and bad, and buying it because it looks tough is lame.

PPPPS - Anyway the right answer is 911. Buy a used 911 for $70,000 instead. It will be better in almost every respect than the M4. No kids? No use for a backseat? New Cayman. God, just don't get an M4.

Smokey

Have you considered Audi? I admit I don't know much about them but the RS5 is a beautiful car, at least.

PS - Of all of the aftermarket M4 exhaust I have heard, none of them make any tangible improvements.

PPS - If you like BMWs why not get the last M3? I think it's still a better looking car and that V8 buddy.

PPPS - Seriously the new M4 is stupid and bad, and buying it because it looks tough is lame.

PPPPS - Anyway the right answer is 911. Buy a used 911 for $70,000 instead. It will be better in almost every respect than the M4. No kids? No use for a backseat? New Cayman. God, just don't get an M4.

lol Dave pls

The cart exhaust doesn't make it a bad car. None of these cars in this segment are really "bad cars"

lol Dave pls

The cart exhaust doesn't make it a bad car. None of these cars in this segment are really "bad cars"

Hey I'm trying real hard to dissuade him from this. And okay, okay, it's not a "bad" car, but it has zero appeal whatsoever to me, and I mean that seriously.

And really, in a world with the Cayman S, what person without kids would buy the M4 instead?

Edit: Serious face for a second. I'm actually stunned that the M4 came out sounding as it does, that BMW let it happen. I can't watch videos of it because the sound is so abhorrent, especially on up-shifts, that I'm forced to turn it off. Maybe I'm just too sensitive to it but it's wholly disappointing to see BMW put out a vehicle with such a lousy powertrain.

bcl0328

i would be more open to an audi or lexus over those two.

AlphaSnake

i would be more open to an audi or lexus over those two.

The very two cars that are far worse than the M4 you would consider?

Are you badge hunting? I'm really confused.

And yeah, if you think an aftermarket exhaust fixes the M4's problems...you clearly haven't heard any of those exhausts. They actually make the car sound worse.

grendelrt

Hey I'm trying real hard to dissuade him from this. And okay, okay, it's not a "bad" car, but it has zero appeal whatsoever to me, and I mean that seriously.

And really, in a world with the Cayman S, what person without kids would buy the M4 instead?

Edit: Serious face for a second. I'm actually stunned that the M4 came out sounding as it does, that BMW let it happen. I can't watch videos of it because the sound is so abhorrent, especially on up-shifts, that I'm forced to turn it off. Maybe I'm just too sensitive to it but it's wholly disappointing to see BMW put out a vehicle with such a lousy powertrain.
That's the same reason I traded my e92 M3 for a cayman s and not a M4. For the cost I would rather have the porsche.

bcl0328

The very two cars that are far worse than the M4 you would consider?

Are you badge hunting? I'm really confused.

And yeah, if you think an aftermarket exhaust fixes the M4's problems...you clearly haven't heard any of those exhausts. They actually make the car sound worse.

i have heard about every exhaust there is. i frequent the M4 forums. there are a few i like.

it's not all just about performance to me. the car has to look visually appealing as well. that is just as important as performance. i just don't like the look of the cadillac or the mercedes.

i have heard about every exhaust there is. i frequent the M4 forums. there are a few i like.

it's not all just about performance to me. the car has to look visually appealing as well. that is just as important as performance. i just don't like the look of the cadillac or the mercedes.

Well if it's about looks for you then there's no argument to be made about it. Just know that it's not that great a car for the money.

mkenyon

Banned
As a over-the-top enthusiast of one thing, that being PC Hardware, I kind of get where you guys are coming from. These are things that appear to be huge knocks against a car, because when you look at the competition, those little things seem to add up to an obvious choice.

For perspective, the two huge knocks against the car are:

1) Exhaust sound

2) Interior appointments not as good as Merc.

Some excerpts from Alpha's great review:

I have to say that I do like the pull of the engine. It doesn't have a flat spot anywhere in its powerband. Peg it from a stop and it rips off the line like no M3 ever has before. Its brute force is second to only the current M6. Revving out the M4 felt easy; it was eager to hits its 7500RPM finish line, and then hand the baton over for the next gear to continue its proverbial relay race.

Now bear in mind, I'm not dogging the car for its decreased ability to spin, I'm simply pointing out a compromise BMW has made. Having said that, purely objectively, I do feel as if this motor isn't especially M-worthy. Or, at least, not M3/M4 worthy. It puts the power down with no hesitation as the turbos spool right up and whisk you away to triple-digit speeds with absolute ease. Gone are the days of the pitiful low-end power of the E92 M3, as it tried to lug its 3700lb ass around with a meager 295TQ. We have two-turbos now to make max torque at only 1850RPMs. On top of that, we've also shed weight - 150lbs worth of it. The dual clutch transmission has been further refined to be even smoother than before. Add all of that up and the BMW M4 is a better car in every way than the model it replaced. But why am I not blown away?

The answer to the bolded is because it doesn't sound great.

Sometimes you guys have to accept that it's a great car, with great impressions from characters such as Chris Harris and Jeremy Clarkson. It might not be what you want out of a car, but you have to accept the objective portion of this vehicle, which is that it's an outstanding performer with a great engine and transmission. Yes?

I would never put a high end system in a Corsair case because they feel cheap as fuck with their thin steel and shit plastic. But I can't argue that a lot of them are really well thought out and designed well. I'll say as much when I'm trying to guide someone towards a better option, but I don't think they're making an objectively bad decision because of my incredibly niche preferences.

AlphaSnake

Well if it's about looks for you then there's no argument to be made about it. Just know that it's not that great a car for the money.

It seems like a pointless argument, tbh. He doesn't exactly have a gauge to measure greatness. His familiarity with BMWs and his ownership of an entry level 3-series makes the M4 look like a real standout.

Arguably the M4 is the best looking in the class, but none of the other cars really look any worse...well except for the garish RCF. LOL

mkenyon

Banned
It seems like a pointless argument, tbh. He doesn't exactly have a gauge to measure greatness. His familiarity with BMWs and his ownership of an entry level 3-series makes the M4 look like a real standout.

Arguably the M4 is the best looking in the class, but none of the other cars really look any worse...well except for the garish RCF. LOL
Lexus-1.jpg

AlphaSnake

As a over-the-top enthusiast of one thing, that being PC Hardware, I kind of get where you guys are coming from. These are things that appear to be huge knocks against a car, because when you look at the competition, those little things seem to add up to an obvious choice.

For perspective, the two huge knocks against the car are:

1) Exhaust sound

2) Interior appointments not as good as Merc.

Some excerpts from Alpha's great review:

The answer to the bolded is because it doesn't sound great.

Sometimes you guys have to accept that it's a great car, with great impressions from characters such as Chris Harris and Jeremy Clarkson. It might not be what you want out of a car, but you have to accept the objective portion of this vehicle, which is that it's an outstanding performer with a great engine and transmission. Yes?

I would never put a high end system in a Corsair case because they feel cheap as fuck with their thin steel and shit plastic. But I can't argue that a lot of them are really well thought out and designed well. I'll say as much when I'm trying to guide someone towards a better option, but I don't think they're making an objectively bad decision because of my incredibly niche preferences.

Valid points. But it's more than just sound. As I mentioned further in, I took exception to that optioned price tag, as well. In addition to the interior's cheapness. Those are huge problems to me. Again, definitely a car worth considering for $60K. But not over $70K.

Smokey

Bruh

mkenyon

Banned
I get that too. Trying to help direct people's opinions on such things such as package price-gouging to prevent that sort of creep into how cars are sold. BMW should be punished for that, and maybe they'll not sell like hotcakes.

But if the person doesn't really care, and has an attachment to the car, sometimes we have to let that sort of thing slide as enthusiasts. Otherwise we just sound like an echo chamber of loonies.
I swear that wasn't stealth directed at you.

Okay, maybe it was.

*edit*

Also, per the above, saying something like, "While it's a great car, they are going to price gouge you on packages, and it sounds like shit. This, this, and this are better buys. But if you're not really digging on them even after a test drive, by all means, buy the M4."

In terms of being a consumer advocate, it's the only way to maintain sanity and respect of the people you're trying to help, while achieving your advocacy goals of pointing out the negative things. Otherwise it's just a fight where neither side feels happy, and you get ignored.

I feel like we're all James May trying to do an Alfa Romeo review without using the word "soul".

The M4 has no soul. It's a fast, plastic brick that plays car noises through the speakers.

mkenyon

Banned
I feel like we're all James May trying to do an Alfa Romeo review without using the word "soul".

The M4 has no soul. It's a fast, plastic brick that plays car noises through the speakers.
That's okay though. Some people really like fast, plastic bricks (that are undeniably beautiful) that play car noises through the speakers.

True story, a friend found out that if he turned his radio to a certain channel in his old (then new) 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS, it sounded like he had exhaust.

That's okay though. Some people really like fast, plastic bricks (that are undeniably beautiful) that play car noises through the speakers.

True story, a friend found out that if he turned his radio to a certain channel in his old (then new) 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS, it sounded like he had exhaust.

Well those people are wrong and are ruining cars.

I've had that happen too. My old '87 Porsche 924S would play static over AM that went up and down with rpm. That car died due to electrical issues...I'm sure the two weren't related.

ascii42

I get that too. Trying to help direct people's opinions on such things such as package price-gouging to prevent that sort of creep into how cars are sold. BMW should be punished for that, and maybe they'll not sell like hotcakes.

But if the person doesn't really care, and has an attachment to the car, sometimes we have to let that sort of thing slide as enthusiasts. Otherwise we just sound like an echo chamber of loonies.

I swear that wasn't stealth directed at you.

Okay, maybe it was.

*edit*

Also, per the above, saying something like, "While it's a great car, they are going to price gouge you on packages, and it sounds like shit. This, this, and this are better buys. But if you're not really digging on them even after a test drive, by all means, buy the M4."

In terms of being a consumer advocate, it's the only way to maintain sanity and respect of the people you're trying to help, while achieving your advocacy goals of pointing out the negative things. Otherwise it's just a fight where neither side feels happy, and you get ignored.

Right, I mean, ultimately you can't tell other people what they should value. You can try to explain why they should value things, but if a person, say, doesn't mind how the M4 sounds, you're not going to convince them that they should hate it.

All you can really say is that they should test drive whatever other cars as well. Then again, if he finds that he likes the Mercedes's interior the best, the way the Caddy drives the best, but still likes the BMW's looks the best, then he won't be happy no matter what he does. So maybe ignorance is bliss :)

Well those people are wrong and are ruining cars.

I've had that happen too. My old '87 Porsche 924S would play static over AM that went up and down with rpm. That car died due to electrical issues...I'm sure the two weren't related.

My Riviera did that, AM, FM, or tape. Well, probably still does that. I don't listen to the radio in it anymore because the speakers are kind of messed up now. I'm sure the two weren't related.

Smokey

I'd buy the M3/M4 today and not give two fuks about y'all complaints. Like alpha said I have not experienced true greatness to me that car would be dope. Now if I currently had a M3 or something ok...then maybe.

But y'all think I'm gonna listen to what a Knicks fan has to say...and then listen him?! For that reason alone you should do the opposite. Never trust a Knicks fan. Ever.

mkenyon

Banned
Listen to Smokey, the guy knows sports and bad apples. I mean, he's had to live through years of Texans administration and coaching staff. That's first hand experience right there.

AlphaSnake

I'd buy the M3/M4 today and not give two fuks about y'all complaints. Like alpha said I have not experienced true greatness to me that car would be dope. Now if I currently had a M3 or something ok...then maybe.

But y'all think I'm gonna listen to what a Knicks fan has to say...and then listen him?! For that reason alone you should do the opposite. Never trust a Knicks fan. Ever.

:)

Hey Dave what kinda car do you have?

A 944 Porsche I bet...

Would y'all spend $250 for LED headlights from VLEDS?

I'm thinking about swapping my stock projectors to them since I'm already taking the front bumper out for the intake installation, yep you gotta take the bumper off to swap headlights in the 3rd gen Miata's, but at that price... yeesh.

I'm not exactly sure if it's worth it as there's no reviews to it on the website or anywhere else, so I don't wanna buy blind and hope it's as good as they say.

Would y'all spend $250 for LED headlights from VLEDS?

I'm thinking about swapping my stock projectors to them since I'm already taking the front bumper out for the intake installation, yep you gotta take the bumper off to swap headlights in the 3rd gen Miata's, but at that price... yeesh.

I'm not exactly sure if it's worth it as there's no reviews to it on the website or anywhere else, so I don't wanna buy blind and hope it's as good as they say.

IMO, is definitely worth it, specially when you factor in how often you may need to replace an HID bulb vs. replacing an LED one ... then to this you also add the cost of a ballast, and while LEDs may cost more upfront, in the long run, you will definitely save some cash.

mkenyon

Banned
I still cant say that shit...too many years of saying it wrong, I feel like an ass when I say it correctly.
It's like when people bust out with the correct French pronunciation of whatever. You know they're right, but they're still a complete fucking tool.

Top Bottom