• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

No Love

Banned
The E60 performed a lot better than the E39. Had a better interior too.

It just looked a little off...

Some people just love a bit of nostalgia.

As an all round package the e60 stomps all over the e39 and pretty much every other super-saloon that's ever existed.

Disagree. The E39 is more enjoyable to drive. The problem with the E60 is that it has an amazing motor but the motor wasn't suited to such a heavy car. That motor should've gone in something else. Like the E92 M3, lol. I prefer the E39 M5's driving dynamics and the way the motor is in tune with the chassis. It's blissful.

And no, the 2nd gen CTS-V devours the E60 M5. The ONLY way I'll ever pick up an E60 M5 is if I can find one with a 6-speed. That SMG II trans is garbage IMO.

GHG

Gold Member
Disagree. The E39 is more enjoyable to drive. The problem with the E60 is that it has an amazing motor but the motor wasn't suited to such a heavy car. That motor should've gone in something else. Like the E92 M3, lol. I prefer the E39 M5's driving dynamics and the way the motor is in tune with the chassis. It's blissful.

And no, the 2nd gen CTS-V devours the E60 M5. The ONLY way I'll ever pick up an E60 M5 is if I can find one with a 6-speed. That SMG II trans is garbage IMO.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I test drove the cts-v during my car hunt last year and really did not connect with it. I found it cramped, the driving position to be poor. But then in quite tall so this is a common issue for me in American cars. I also wasn't a fan of the steering weight.

On the other hand when I test drove an e60 m5 it just felt right, I connected well with the car and I found it far more comfortable. Yes the cts-v is faster on paper by a decent margin but it really didn't feel it.

Maybe I'm biased, but the e60 m5 is one of my favourite cars of all time and is one of those cars I feel like I must own at some point in my life. If it wasn't for my wife I would have hunted one down this time last year and got one.

And then cried myself to sleep about the maintenance costs

Zyzyxxz

Found my new "If I win the Lottery" car.

The Caterham Sp/300.R So awesome it needs a / and a . (period) in its name.

Track only car for a cool $130K USD.

2011-Caterham-Lola-SP-300-R-00011-1680.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
Got to be the Ariel Atom v8 for me.

Yes it's ridiculously extortionate. But let's think about this:

0-60 mph in 2 seconds
10,500 rpm

I think I'd just die in face melting happiness.

Found my new "If I win the Lottery" car.

The Caterham Sp/300.R So awesome it needs a / and a . (period) in its name.

Track only car for a cool $130K USD.

You don't need $130K for this...

1. Buy a donor NA/NB Miata
2. Remove body panels of Miata
3. Buy an Exocet chassis
4. Transfer Miata parts to Exocet chassis
5. ????
6. Profit!

Or if you don't wanna do any of that at all... head on over to Flyin' Miata. As long as you've got a donor NA/NB Miata, and around $15k... they'll do a full turn-key conversion for you.

And yes, if you're really fncking crazy, Flyin' Miata can also source out an LS V8 for you and install it on your Exocet.

The best part, it's all street legal and you'll still have about $100K left over and you'll be able to join Evo X in the waitlist for the GT4 lol.

I'd go Radical with Ariel Atom V8 a close second.

In fact, when I get older, I'll likely go Radical+trailer+cheap truck/SUV+econobox/electric as a daily.

Zyzyxxz

You don't need $130K for this...

1. Buy a donor NA/NB Miata
2. Remove body panels of Miata
3. Buy an Exocet chassis
4. Transfer Miata parts to Exocet chassis
5. ????
6. Profit!

Or if you don't wanna do any of that at all... head on over to Flyin' Miata. As long as you've got a donor NA/NB Miata, and around $15k... they'll do a full turn-key conversion for you.

And yes, if you're really fncking crazy, Flyin' Miata can also source out an LS V8 for you and install it on your Exocet.

The best part, it's all street legal and you'll still have about $100K left over and you'll be able to join Evo X in the waitlist for the GT4 lol.

Wow thats pretty cool (doesn't look very cool though) but yeah if I was actually serious about tracking I would do it.

matmanx1

I've decided that I am ready to look at other cars. I'm currently driving an Infiniti G37 coupe, 2008 model. The G37 is a good car and it does a lot of things right. It is my only car at this point so I drive it daily and it also manages to be decently entertaining at the same time as long as I am going in a straight line (more on that later).

I think that what I want isn't really possible in a single car so I might end up with two. One of utilitarian purposes/ longer drives and one just for fun. This part is still up in the air but it is where I am leaning at this point.

My biggest issues with the G37 are the hard seats (this gets to be an issue on trips over half an hour, mainly), the auto transmission and the size/weight.

The hard seats are self explanatory.

The transmission works fine but I just don't like auto boxes in a sports/sporty car. I thought I could live it with since it was to be a daily driver but mostly it just disappoints me when I think of the fun I could be having if it was a stick!

Then there's the size/weight issue. For not having a lot of interior room or trunk room the G37 is a big, heavy car. With the auto trans it is nearly 3700 pounds! On the backroads near my house in the twisty stuff it is really a handful. Heavy steering feel, heavy throttle and a lot of mass to move around. Which is why I think it is mostly fun in a straight line.

At this point I have no idea what I am going to replace it with. I'd like to stay under 20k (but my sweet wife said I could spend whatever I want just so long as I find something and stick with it for awhile) but may go up to 30 if I just found the one "right" car.

Today I test drove a 2012 Mini Cooper and a 2004 Porsche Cayenne S, just for kicks. The Mini was fun and the interior is all kinds of weird and quirky. I can see the appeal but it didn't scream "pick me!" either. Maybe an "S" model would have lit my fire a little bit more.

The Porsche Cayenne was a proper disappointment. It was well maintained and honestly looked a lot newer than a 2004 but man it was a snooze to drive. It just felt big, heavy and slow and it didn't even sound all that good despite the V8 under the hood. At least the seats were comfortable and the steering was communicative.

In the previous weeks I've driven a couple of Audi TT's (beautiful cars, love the interiors but I can't abide the transmission, as good as that one is supposed to be) and a Ford Focus ST. The Focus ST was excellent but still seems a little expensive for what it is.

So the search continues. I plan to drive many cars and get a lot of seat time before I make any purchases. I'm thinking about a 944 turbo test drive in the coming weeks...

I love mini coopers (My friends dad had the third S in Canada way back when)... but be prepared for spending a lot of money fixing them. Parts are not cheap, and they are not really reliable...

GuessWho

How is the new golf in terms of reliability? Do they have high maintenance costs? I rally want to get one but iffy on vw. It would be the tsi engine.

Ty4on

The Porsche Cayenne was a proper disappointment. It was well maintained and honestly looked a lot newer than a 2004 but man it was a snooze to drive. It just felt big, heavy and slow and it didn't even sound all that good despite the V8 under the hood. At least the seats were comfortable and the steering was communicative.

You'd think it was a big SUV :p

ruxtpin

Banned
Went to the Mitty at Road Atlanta yesterday for my bachelor party. Lived in Georgia for almost 25 years and this was my first time going to Road Atlanta. Was pretty great seeing all the vintage BMWs, Porsches, Mustangs, etc. Was surprised at how close we could get to the track. And I'd never thought of the Porsche 914 as a track day car, but the ones there were quick and I'd definitely have to consider one as a project car once I have the garage space (that or an old Datsun or 2002 - I love those cars so much!)

How is the new golf in terms of reliability? Do they have high maintenance costs? I rally want to get one but iffy on vw. It would be the tsi engine.

I've got a 2014 GLI and I've been pretty happy with the car. It's fun to drive and feels nicer than a 23k dollar car should be. Never had any mechanical issues and because VW hasn't been selling all that hot I was able to get nearly 5k off MSRP. You do get the 2 years scheduled maintenance, but I don't think that should be a deciding factor since it really amounts to 2 free oil changes.

mkenyon

Banned
I've decided that I am ready to look at other cars. I'm currently driving an Infiniti G37 coupe, 2008 model. The G37 is a good car and it does a lot of things right. It is my only car at this point so I drive it daily and it also manages to be decently entertaining at the same time as long as I am going in a straight line (more on that later).

I think that what I want isn't really possible in a single car so I might end up with two. One of utilitarian purposes/ longer drives and one just for fun. This part is still up in the air but it is where I am leaning at this point.

My biggest issues with the G37 are the hard seats (this gets to be an issue on trips over half an hour, mainly), the auto transmission and the size/weight.

The hard seats are self explanatory.

The transmission works fine but I just don't like auto boxes in a sports/sporty car. I thought I could live it with since it was to be a daily driver but mostly it just disappoints me when I think of the fun I could be having if it was a stick!

Then there's the size/weight issue. For not having a lot of interior room or trunk room the G37 is a big, heavy car. With the auto trans it is nearly 3700 pounds! On the backroads near my house in the twisty stuff it is really a handful. Heavy steering feel, heavy throttle and a lot of mass to move around. Which is why I think it is mostly fun in a straight line.

At this point I have no idea what I am going to replace it with. I'd like to stay under 20k (but my sweet wife said I could spend whatever I want just so long as I find something and stick with it for awhile) but may go up to 30 if I just found the one "right" car.

Today I test drove a 2012 Mini Cooper and a 2004 Porsche Cayenne S, just for kicks. The Mini was fun and the interior is all kinds of weird and quirky. I can see the appeal but it didn't scream "pick me!" either. Maybe an "S" model would have lit my fire a little bit more.

In the previous weeks I've driven a couple of Audi TT's (beautiful cars, love the interiors but I can't abide the transmission, as good as that one is supposed to be) and a Ford Focus ST. The Focus ST was excellent but still seems a little expensive for what it is.

So the search continues. I plan to drive many cars and get a lot of seat time before I make any purchases. I'm thinking about a 944 turbo test drive in the coming weeks...
Go drive a BRZ, or a 370Z.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Go drive a BRZ, or a 370Z.

If he didn't like the Mini, he won't like the BRZ. Both are too slow. Especially since he's coming from a powerful 330HP V6

But I do agree, the 370Z is probably what he'd like the most. It's 300-400lbs lighter than a G37 Coupe. And is far, faaaaar more nimble on its feet. Also has better seats (I drove mine from NYC to Florida in one shot without any body aches). Plus 6MT and its Synchro Rev Match system are great.

I find it a little odd matmanx decided to test drive a Cayenne though...should've gone for Cayman S instead.

matmanx1

If he didn't like the Mini, he won't like the BRZ. Both are too slow. Especially since he's coming from a powerful 330HP V6

But I do agree, the 370Z is probably what he'd like the most. It's 300-400lbs lighter than a G37 Coupe. And is far, faaaaar more nimble on its feet. Also has better seats (I drove mine from NYC to Florida in one shot without any body aches). Plus 6MT and its Synchro Rev Match system are great.

I find it a little odd matmanx decided to test drive a Cayenne though...should've gone for Cayman S instead.

The Cayenne was a thought I had for a good "utility" car that would be good for long distances and hauling stuff, should I need to. Sports car replacement is separate. Still, even if I buy a utility car it has to be a little bit entertaining and this one was not, at all.

I do need to test drive a 370z. I'm very familiar with the motor and it is a very good one and extremely reliable.

Alpha the Cayman S is very tempting but it would be my only car at that point and I'm not sure if I am ready to put that much bank in to a pure sports car. I've driven a Cayman and it was one of the best driving experiences of my life. If I had purchased it instead of the Boxster a few years back I might still own it. But yeah, it's on the list for another test drive. It still might be worth it.

The Cayenne was a thought I had for a good "utility" car that would be good for long distances and hauling stuff, should I need to. Sports car replacement is separate. Still, even if I buy a utility car it has to be a little bit entertaining and this one was not, at all.

No SUV that can haul and tow is going to be more interesting to drive than a Cayenne. Just how it is. Gotta remember the thing can tow 8,000lbs, which is pretty rare for SUVs nowadays without talking about things like the Suburban.

Makki

You sure it was legit? the bumper and hood have a very fiberglass-like shine to them. Or maybe its paint fade but it looks off to me. I would LOVE to have and older gen EVO though

AlphaSnake

The Cooper has a 121hp though...

Yeah, but a 2012 only weighs ~2500lbs. A BRZ weighs close to ~2900lbs and has 197HP. The BRZ is quicker, but still pretty slow. Also, not sure if manx drove an S or not.

AlphaSnake

I do need to test drive a 370z. I'm very familiar with the motor and it is a very good one and extremely reliable.

Alpha the Cayman S is very tempting but it would be my only car at that point and I'm not sure if I am ready to put that much bank in to a pure sports car. I've driven a Cayman and it was one of the best driving experiences of my life. If I had purchased it instead of the Boxster a few years back I might still own it. But yeah, it's on the list for another test drive. It still might be worth it.

I loved my 370Z. It hit all of the right spots. And since you're buying used, depreciation isn't much of an issue. And surprisingly enough, the 370Z has held its value extremely well.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...releases/f2f54f71-2ebd-4f3d-b4a2-35a6975c1268

The runner ups were the Audi A5/S5 and BMW 3-series. Even today, Edmund's puts the 370Z Convertible as the 2nd best in resale value.

Jackson

You sure it was legit? the bumper and hood have a very fiberglass-like shine to them. Or maybe its paint fade but it looks off to me. I would LOVE to have and older gen EVO though

I'm reasonably sure. In Canada you could import many different JDM cars like the EVO V for about $10k extra and the plates were from British Columbia.

Certain parts were only on the EVO V like the rear window wiper. That'd be a pain to install as a conversion, but I guess if you spent the time to convert it to RHD you'd do all the little things. lol

Evo X

I think GAF is trying to tell me I visit this thread too much.

Getting ads all over the site telling me to apply to be an Uber driver. lol

Ty4on

Yeah, but a 2012 only weighs ~2500lbs. A BRZ weighs close to ~2900lbs and has 197HP. The BRZ is quicker, but still pretty slow. Also, not sure if manx drove an S or not.

A stock Cooper is 2535 and a stock BRZ is 2764 so not a big difference and far from 400. He mentioned a Cooper S might be better and it still just has 182hp.
I use kg as well where 1150 and 1250 look identical.
No SUV that can haul and tow is going to be more interesting to drive than a Cayenne. Just how it is. Gotta remember the thing can tow 8,000lbs, which is pretty rare for SUVs nowadays without talking about things like the Suburban.

They don't need to be fast to be entertaining. I'd give the Cayenne an extra shot though, you may be used to over assisted steering as heavy steering is usually a good thing in a sporty car. I know there's a difference between steering weight and feel (I guess how much the weight changes upon turn-in and grip etc.), but it could be that you just weren't used to it.

GHG

Gold Member

Incorrect.

Test drive a BMW x6 50i then get back to me. Not the shitty 35i v6 version because that doesn't have enough power for the weight of this car. Towing capacity is 6000 lbs though, which is still more than enough.

Also, the dynamics of the new shape Cayenne (2011 on) are much better than the old one, but it'll cost you.

If you want one of these German SUV's to be semi-entertaining to drive you've got to go for the v8 turbo versions. The naturally aspirated and v6 engines just don't have enough torque spread for the sheer weight of the cars.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2008-bmw-x6-xdrive50i-long-term-road-test-wrap-up

mkenyon

Banned

The Cooper does 0-60 in around 9 seconds. The BRZ does it in the high 6's. Get some perspective.

AlphaSnake

The Cooper does 0-60 in around 9 seconds. The BRZ does it in the high 6's. Get some perspective.

The perspective is very simple. Compared to what he's coming out of and what he's looking for...they're both slow. That's my entire point.

I also didn't realize he drove a base Mini and not an S.

AlphaSnake

True, but the g37 should be low 5s for the manual while the BRZ is low 6s. And BRZ's 0-40 will feel even slower in comparison.

Most BRZs and FRS get 0-60s around high 6-seconds. Automatics are over 7.5 (BRZ Auto does it in 7.7 seconds...but that's moot in this instance, though, just a reference). Getting low 6 seconds with these cars usually requires a lot of abuse in launch and shifting (i.e.: high dumps, no lifts).

mkenyon

Banned
Buy a BRZ and slap a Crawford turbo on it.

Problem solved.
That's my plan :p
Most BRZs and FRS get 0-60s around high 6-seconds. Automatics are over 7.5 (BRZ Auto does it in 7.7 seconds...but that's moot in this instance, though, just a reference). Getting low 6 seconds with these cars usually requires a lot of abuse in launch and shifting (i.e.: high dumps, no lifts).
Yep yep, that's what I understood to be the case.

Though, if we're being honest, his G37 is an auto too. So it really isn't a *huge* difference in power compared to that of a base Mini.

AlphaSnake

That's my plan :p

Yep yep, that's what I understood to be the case.

Though, if we're being honest, his G37 is an auto too. So it really isn't a *huge* difference in power compared to that of a base Mini.

I don't understand what you mean? It IS a huge difference compared to a base Mini.

Unlike the BRZ's auto, which makes the car considerably slower, the automatics in Infinitis (including the 370Z) is actually marginally faster than the manual car. So it's definitely a huge difference. The G37 Coupe with an auto can run a 1/4 mile in very high 13s, and trap 102-105MPH.

That's 20MPH faster than a Mini. And 12-15MPH faster than the BRZ. We're talking world's apart.

I have a chance to get a 2006 RSX with 100,000 miles from my parents but I'd have to give up my 2005 CRV with 170,000 miles.

I'll miss the space definitely but I'd be a fool not to take them up on it...right?

No Love

Banned
I don't understand what you mean? It IS a huge difference compared to a base Mini.

Unlike the BRZ's auto, which makes the car considerably slower, the automatics in Infinitis (including the 370Z) is actually marginally faster than the manual car. So it's definitely a huge difference. The G37 Coupe with an auto can run a 1/4 mile in very high 13s, and trap 102-105MPH.

That's 20MPH faster than a Mini. And 12-15MPH faster than the BRZ. We're talking world's apart.

The G37 would pull so hard on a Mini or BRZ that it's like the difference between a Mustang GT 5.0 and a 911 Turbo. MASSIVE.

I have a chance to get a 2006 RSX with 100,000 miles from my parents but I'd have to give up my 2005 CRV with 170,000 miles.

I'll miss the space definitely but I'd be a fool not to take them up on it...right?

RSX has a ton of space but gets far better MPG than a CRV and is way more fun to drive. Is it RSX base or Type S? 6 speed hopefully.

The G37 would pull so hard on a Mini or BRZ that it's like the difference between a Mustang GT 5.0 and a 911 Turbo. MASSIVE.

RSX has a ton of space but gets far better MPG than a CRV and is way more fun to drive. Is it RSX base or Type S? 6 speed hopefully.

Base

matmanx1

Yeah, I'm just not used to something that massive. And the 2nd gen (2010+) shed several hundred pounds and are supposed to feel more nimble.

I loved my 370Z. It hit all of the right spots. And since you're buying used, depreciation isn't much of an issue. And surprisingly enough, the 370Z has held its value extremely well.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...releases/f2f54f71-2ebd-4f3d-b4a2-35a6975c1268

The runner ups were the Audi A5/S5 and BMW 3-series. Even today, Edmund's puts the 370Z Convertible as the 2nd best in resale value.

Funnily enough, I actually test drove a 2009 370Z Sport today on my lunch break. My local Toyota dealer had one on the lot with the 6MT so it was right down the road from where I work.

Loved the handling. I mean loved the handling. And the seats were more comfortable that my G37's. But as soon as I started driving I remember why I wrote the Z cars off to begin with. The manual in those things transmits so much vibration and thrash to your hand that I find it to be pretty distracting and annoying. I test drove a 6MT G37 a couple of years back and it was the same way. It's just an unfortunate characteristic of that engine/transmission combo.

A stock Cooper is 2535 and a stock BRZ is 2764 so not a big difference and far from 400. He mentioned a Cooper S might be better and it still just has 182hp.
I use kg as well where 1150 and 1250 look identical.

They don't need to be fast to be entertaining. I'd give the Cayenne an extra shot though, you may be used to over assisted steering as heavy steering is usually a good thing in a sporty car. I know there's a difference between steering weight and feel (I guess how much the weight changes upon turn-in and grip etc.), but it could be that you just weren't used to it.

I like thrust but believe or not agility is just as high on my list which is why I found the Mini to be entertaining and why I'm about to look into a Porsche 944 or 968 as a fun car.

Mazda appears to be on a roll. I can't wait for the new Miata but that speed3 has the potential to set hair on fire.

The perspective is very simple. Compared to what he's coming out of and what he's looking for...they're both slow. That's my entire point.

I also didn't realize he drove a base Mini and not an S.

No worries. They are both slower but like I said above, I value agility pretty highly. If I was going to do a Mini it would have to be an S or a John Cooper Works. I drove a base just to get a feel for the platform. Both would still be slower than the G by a fair margin but the tossability and fun factor increase would be a fair trade-off, I think.

I was actually JUST thinking about the Mazdaspeed 3 last night, specifically if they'd go with the hatchback or sedan. I was thinking about it particularly because I don't really like the way they look all that much.

But damn, that picture. If the production version looks like that....I'd consider it. On my radar for my next car is now the WRX, the speed3, and possibly the Civic Type R if Honda is smart and they make it AWD.

Top Bottom