• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

I'm reasonably sure. In Canada you could import many different JDM cars like the EVO V for about $10k extra and the plates were from British Columbia.

Certain parts were only on the EVO V like the rear window wiper. That'd be a pain to install as a conversion, but I guess if you spent the time to convert it to RHD you'd do all the little things. lol

BC is like the mecca for RHD imports. There DMV asks you if it's normal or RHD when you register your car.

It's a legit EVO V. And those can be purchased for anywhere from $10-15K

Legal in Canada, I see 4-6s fairly reguarly. Since 8-9s were never sold here as they were in the states, I see more RHD evos than anything else, except maybe Evo Xs.

I'm starting to see more and more 8's and 9's now that they finally passed the crash rating prices for Ontario.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Funnily enough, I actually test drove a 2009 370Z Sport today on my lunch break. My local Toyota dealer had one on the lot with the 6MT so it was right down the road from where I work.

Loved the handling. I mean loved the handling. And the seats were more comfortable that my G37's. But as soon as I started driving I remember why I wrote the Z cars off to begin with. The manual in those things transmits so much vibration and thrash to your hand that I find it to be pretty distracting and annoying. I test drove a 6MT G37 a couple of years back and it was the same way. It's just an unfortunate characteristic of that engine/transmission combo.

Yeah, some have it worse than others. My 2010 never had much vibration at all. But I know others that did (transmission bushing damage from shitty drivers). So it's a hit or miss sort of thing. Also, there's a brace that runs underneath the catalytic converters, that if loose will cause some serious vibrations through the shifter. The seats are extremely comfortable, yep. Like I said, I did 1100 miles in mine non-stop and wasn't in any pain or body ache.

The worst thing about the 370Z is that it's loud and lets in a lot of road noise (it's one of the reasons I sold mine, tbh). But turns out the 2015 fixes this by using noise cancelation via the new Bose stereo). I'm pretty tempted to find a 2015 and test drive, tbh.

ameratsu

I have a chance to get a 2006 RSX with 100,000 miles from my parents but I'd have to give up my 2005 CRV with 170,000 miles.

I'll miss the space definitely but I'd be a fool not to take them up on it...right?

The RSX is a hatch which is suprisingly roomy. With the seats folded down you can still haul stuff. It will be way more fun to drive than the CRV even as a base model.

The big strike against it is if you carry multiple passengers all the time, in which case the lack of backseat room might be a problem. Take them up on it if you're okay with that.

edit: is it manual?

Evo X

So I was looking up some Porsches on cars.com and came across this beauty.

Carrera GT replica. He says it is custom made and the only one in the world, and in his words "built to fulfill the desires of owning a exotic supercar, with out any of the drawbacks."

LMAO.

10993879.1428710514315.5CCFC37B44904E53B41868DEC5A650C9.jpg

10993879.1428710528876.7884095096FE41D192B51A0392EF8156.jpg

10993879.1428710544224.D1142E39A33640EEBA5617DDECCC7E04.jpg

10993879.1428710557451.A158A2B23F2B45F592F3D3BDED0377F7.jpg

10993879.1428710568569.93D2365A263E4A4DA6A16CAA9CC24546.jpg

The RSX is a hatch which is suprisingly roomy. With the seats folded down you can still haul stuff. It will be way more fun to drive than the CRV even as a base model.

The big strike against it is if you carry multiple passengers all the time, in which case the lack of backseat room might be a problem. Take them up on it if you're okay with that.

edit: is it manual?

yeah the main thing is my friends and I usually use my car when we go on trips, I love having the storage to be able to dump stuff into it whenever I want and leave. That and I used to do freelance video work.

I think I'm gonna take them up on it. I really don't see myself wanting to buy a car for another 3-5 years and having 70,000 less miles would probably help in that case. I know the next car I'll get will be another SUV most likely...

and it's an automatic. I've driven it before, I love driving it although I did hydroplane and spun out on a country road once...

Base is a Fiero. He just put an Audi steering wheel in it. Lol

Of course it's a Fiero. For some reason the proportions don't look quite Fiero-y though, I wonder what modifications were done to the chassis.

All said and done, though, there have been worse conversions. I dunno wtf at that hood but nothing's perfect.

Evo X

So let's say this GT4 thing doesn't work out due to supply issues, what would you guys choose as a backup plan for ~$90K.

A slightly used 2015 GTR Black Edition or new 2015 Cayman GTS? Or something else entirely?

Was considering a Z06 as well, but those heat soak issues are off putting.

nissan-gtr-2015-black-edition.jpg

2015-nissan-gtr-black-edition-picture.jpg

Porsche-Cayman_GTS.jpg

AlphaSnake

The GT-R.

I've started having a hard-on for them again lately. I need to drive one. I like the interior accents of the ones you posted. Makes it pop inside. Very nice.

Evo X

The GT-R.

I've started having a hard-on for them again lately. I need to drive one. I like the interior accents of the ones you posted. Makes it pop inside. Very nice.

Yeah, I really like the red accents and the track edition comes standard with Recaros which are very nice.

This is the specific one I'm looking at if you want to check it out. I don't have much experience with these cars. One owner, just under 6K miles.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/633521309/overview/

Another dealer close by has a red 2015 F Type R coupe for the same price, but the GTR seems like a better deal. Lower miles and it had a sticker of $113K as opposed to the Jag's $104K.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/628441486/overview/

AlphaSnake

Yeah, I really like the red accents and the track edition comes standard with Recaros which are very nice.

This is the specific one I'm looking at if you want to check it out. I don't have much experience with these cars. One owner, just under 6K miles.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/633521309/overview/

Another dealer close by has a red 2015 F Type R coupe for the same price, but the GTR seems like a better deal. Lower miles and it had a sticker of $113K as opposed to the Jag's $104K.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/628441486/overview/

...I uhhh...fuck. I can't decide.

Evo X

EvoX

Dude. GT-R. Like, there's no discussion to be had.

It's a fucking GT-R.

Yeah, but do you think the GTR is almost too fast for the streets?

If you press the throttle more than 3 seconds from a stop, you will go to jail. lol

...I uhhh...fuck. I can't decide.

And this is why I will never end up buying anything.

There's just too many good choices at this price point and I'm indecisive as hell.

Car shopping was much easier 10 years ago, when I had 1/3 the budget.

mkenyon

Banned

If you press the throttle more than 3 seconds from a stop, you will go to jail. lol
No.

It's a fucking GT-R.

It's the fastest large scale production car around Nurburgring. It defies physics. Chris Harris loves it. It's every nerd's real dream that grew up playing Gran Turismo.

However, I think your mom will be disappointed with the fact that her son bought a Nissan. Maybe if you work harder, you can trade it in on a Ferrari?

But still, it's a fucking GT-R.

https://youtu.be/t5H6u-_ugOE?t=324

*edit*

Another vid: https://youtu.be/K8jLbyNloCg?t=239

Jackson

And this is why I will never end up buying anything.

There's just too many good choices at this price point and I'm indecisive as hell.

Car shopping was much easier 10 years ago, when I had 1/3 the budget.

Test drove GTR/F Type R and a bunch of others. GTS won me over simply with its test drive.

I really hated the F Type R, but I loved it's looks. It was the car I planned to buy before I did my test drive rounds. Though it being a Jag made me unease...

My advice is to just test drive them. You can test drive a GTR and an F Type R like right this second. Like you could leave your PC and drive to a dealer and test drive it now. So go do it! The GTS is more rare and harder to come by, so might be a little while before you find one to test drive.

GTR is a really fast Altima. Sounds like crap, looks like crap, interior is crap and removes you from the feel of driving. But man does it post good lap times! And man does launch control make it move real quick (even though its the most uneventful thing ever... I dunno how Nissan managed to suck the sense of occasion from drag racing... but they did).

You could buy a 2006 Gallardo for 100k and impress your mom! ;)

AlphaSnake

Test drove GTR/F Type R and a bunch of others. GTS won me over simply with its test drive.

I really hated the F Type R, but I loved it's looks. It was the car I planned to buy before I did my test drive rounds. Though it being a Jag made me unease...

My advice is to just test drive them. You can test drive a GTR and an F Type R like right this second. Like you could leave your PC and drive to a dealer and test drive it now. So go do it! The GTS is more rare and harder to come by, so might be a little while before you find one to test drive.

GTR is a really fast Altima. Sounds like crap, looks like crap, interior is crap and removes you from the feel of driving. But man does it post good lap times! And man does launch control make it move real quick (even though its the most uneventful thing ever... I dunno how Nissan managed to suck the sense of occasion from drag racing... but they did).

You could buy a 2006 Gallardo for 100k and impress your mom! ;)

So much wrong in this post I don't even know where to start.

GTR being a fast Altima? Looks and sounds like crap!? Wtf.

Jackson

So much wrong in this post I don't even know where to start.

GTR being a fast Altima? Looks and sounds like crap!? Wtf.

The GTR is a supercar fighter. But it's the ugliest, most dull/boring looking car in that category.

Objectively there is nothing sexy about it. It's an ugly duckling. No one but car nuts look twice when a GTR drives by and the only reason they look is because they know about it's amazing track times. The interior is even worse than the outside! It comes across as cheap and boxy. It's just bad. This is a $100k car! Not a $30k ordinary Nissan!

And yes, for all the cars the GTR fights, they all sound better. Its like Nissan tried to make it a stealth DD super car. I want my 3.0s 0-60MPH car to scream like a banshee and look bonkers to match its performance.

C7. Aston Martin Vantage V8. 911. Used R8. Used Gallardo. F-Type R. (Lol looks amazing, sounds amazing. Drives like a muscle car though haha.) Whatever... Name 10 more cars in the category. They all look and sound better for that category/price range. If you want amazing track times, go get a GTR. Sure. If you want a car with soul and passion look elsewhere.

See the Acura NSX or the Toyota FT-1 for how a Japanese supercar should look/sound.

I don't drive around a track everyday. Track times are important, but soul and passion are more important than forum numbers I'll never do and rarely see... And I actually track my cars/bikes! For $100k which is a lot of money, I just need way more than what the GTR offers in my daily life.

No Love

Banned
Well, since we're talking about new cars, I'm about to commit some self-sacrilege: decided that I think I'm going to pass on the C7 Z06 and get one of these at the end of the year instead:

2014-srt-viper-gts-three-quarters-in-motion-drivers-back-view.jpg

What say you, AutoBros?

Well, since we're talking about new cars, I'm about to commit some self-sacrilege: decided that I think I'm going to pass on the C7 Z06 and get one of these at the end of the year instead:

What say you, AutoBros?

YESSSSSSSSS!!!

Do it!!

Also as much as I don't like the GT-R, calling it an Altima on steroids is pretty wrong. It's supposed to be the cheapest supercar everyone could buy, hence the crappy interior and all that, until Nissan decided to price it up and become unaffordable for most.

I think the GT-R is just finally showing its age especially among the newer higher end cars. There's only so much Nissan can do to keep it going but I do think it's time for a new GT-R where it goes back to its original purpose of being a supercar for the masses.

Evo X

I showed my mom both cars and she told me to get the GTR because it owns the shit out of the girly Cayman.

Also said she can't believe she raised a son who would consider paying $90K for 340 horsepower. ;(

Jackson

Also as much as I don't like the GT-R, calling it an Altima on steroids is pretty wrong. It's supposed to be the cheapest supercar everyone could buy, hence the crappy interior and all that, until Nissan decided to price it up and become unaffordable for most.

I think the GT-R is just finally showing its age especially among the newer higher end cars. There's only so much Nissan can do to keep it going but I do think it's time for a new GT-R where it goes back to its original purpose of being a supercar for the masses.

It's over $100k base. When I talk to GT-R fans they always say "when it first came out it was so cheap, blah blah..." Well it's not anymore! It's expensive. It's out of the reach of most. I can get more car for the same price. The F-Type R might not beat the GT-R in lap times, but who cares?! It's still fast as snot. Like it's scary fast... It looks gorgeous, it sound obnoxious. It has a high end interior. It ticks all the boxes.

Arguing track times its like measuring gigaflops on your GPU. Who cares that you can run GTAV at 400 FPS? That doesn't mean anything to anyone but people stuck on #'s.

Unless you're very rich and your GT-R is solely your track car. then Sure I guess? But 99% of the people are DDing the car. You have to live with how it looks, how it sounds, how the interior is. How the buying experience/maintenance is. Audi, Porsche, Jag... all way, way, waaaaaaaaay better there. And The GT-R isn't even cheap to maintain so you lose the experience, but gain the price hike yay!

I will retract my Altima on Steroids statement though. :) It's more than that, sure.

I showed my mom both cars and she told me to get the GTR because it owns the shit out of the girly Cayman.

Also said she can't believe she raised a son who would consider paying $90K for 340 horsepower. ;(

Your mom has horrible taste lol Also you need to test drive these cars and see for yourself. I dunno why you haven't yet.

No Love

Banned
It's over $100k base. When I talk to GT-R fans they always say "when it first came out it was so cheap, blah blah..." Well it's not anymore! It's expensive. It's out of the reach of most. I can get more car for the same price. The F-Type R might not beat the GT-R in lap times, but who cares?! It's still fast as snot. It looks gorgeous, it sound obnoxious. It has a high end interior. It ticks all the boxes.

Arguing track times its like measuring gigaflops on your GPU. Who cares that you can run GTAV at 400 FPS? That doesn't mean anything to anyone but people stuck on #'s.

Unless you're very rich and your GT-R is solely your track car. then Sure I guess? But 99% of the people are DDing the car. You have to live with how it looks, how it sounds, how the interior is. How the buying experience/maintenance is. Audi, Porsche, Jag... all way, way, waaaaaaaaay better there. And The GT_R isn't even cheap to maintain so you lose the experience, but gain the price hike yay!

I will retract my Altima on Steroids statement though. :) It's more than that, sure.

Your mom has horrible taste lol

Not to mention the R35's trans is noisy and kinda clunky. I hope the R36 has a lot more refinement. That being said, the R35 is a wonderful car. It's just lame that it doesn't come in 6 speed.

mkenyon

Banned

Your mom knows what's up.
mkenyon - that is a nice Altima
Rite!?

What say you, AutoBros?
Do eeeeeeet

Evo X

Your mom has horrible taste lol Also you need to test drive these cars and see for yourself. I dunno why you haven't yet.

I was joking. I haven't shown her either car.

Just said that to counteract your off base Altima on steroids comment. lol

As for test drives, I've already driven the Cayman GTS twice and loved it both times. My only hangup is that the GT4 is only like $12K more so why not get that instead. As wonderful as the GTS is, I don't want to buy one only to have regrets and wish I would have gotten a GT4.

Haven't tried test driving a GTR because I've heard the dealers are quite stingy and treat it like a Halo car. Also, I'm sure all kinds of kids try to come in only for joy rides, so not sure if they'll let a young guy like me take it out.

Jackson

I was joking. I haven't shown her either car.

Just said that to counteract your off base Altima on steroids comment. lol

As for test drives, I've already driven the Cayman GTS twice and loved it both times. My only hangup is that the GT4 is only like $12K more so why not get that instead. As wonderful as the GTS is, I don't want to buy one only to have regrets and wish I would have gotten a GT4.

Haven't tried test driving a GTR because I've heard the dealers are quite stingy and treat it like a Halo car. Also, I'm sure all kinds of kids try to come in only for joy rides, so not sure if they'll let a young guy like me take it out.

Hey I retracted that statement! ;)

I dunno just act like you're gonna buy it. Cause you might. And have confidence. They'll let you drive it if you seem serious. Which you are... Maybe it's my area, but if you don't act like a joker they'll take you seriously. When I test drove anything I rolled up in my wife's car. I didn't even have a car lol Sold my TTS awhile back.

I know its crazy to ask but where would be a good resource to find a Lotus Elise in Cali? I feel like the used car price is approaching something more reasonable (under 35k). I didn't realize this until I started looking at getting a new car (like a miata or WRX).

Evo X

There's also a 6 speed manual Morning Frost White Aston Vantage at a local dealer for $80K. Probably the sexiest car you can get for the money, but it's out of warranty and a bit dated interior compared to modern cars.

03.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

12.jpg

Jackson

There's also a 6 speed manual Morning Frost White Aston Vantage at a local dealer for $80K. Probably the sexiest car you can get for the money, but it's out of warranty and a bit dated interior compared to modern cars.

03.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

12.jpg

Out of warranty = run far away.

My buddy's '15 Vantage GT has been in the shop twice already and its 6 months old lol Looks great in white though!

You can get a new base V8 for $100k.

Here's a GT for $117! http://www.parkplaceastonmartin.com...BBAL7FGC19532/~/ModelActual_~ExteriorColor_/5

Jackson

Wow, that looks so damn good!

Love the Alcantara and contrasted red stitching.

Ya my buddy bought his GT from this place. Think he paid $115k. His was black with a white interior. It sounds incredible at WOT. It's much more of a cruiser than a track car, but he's tracked it already and enjoyed it a lot. it's just beefy and old school compared to other '15 cars.

No Love

Banned
I know its crazy to ask but where would be a good resource to find a Lotus Elise in Cali? I feel like the used car price is approaching something more reasonable (under 35k). I didn't realize this until I started looking at getting a new car (like a miata or WRX).

Are you planning to daily drive it? If so, don't. They are nightmares to drive everyday lol.

Top Bottom