• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

No Love

Banned
Just something sporty. I live next to a valley with beautiful backroads so handling takes precedent over power.

Just go get a 2006+ Honda S2000 for $20-23k. I actually think it's a better car than the Lotus Elise and 100x more daily drivable. One of my favorite cars of all time. Best manual transmission ever made too BTW. I miss mine everyday.

P.S. Putting the top down and tackling backroads is a wonderful, wonderful experience and option to have.

Reven

Just go get a 2006+ Honda S2000 for $20-23k. I actually think it's a better car than the Lotus Elise and 100x more daily drivable. One of my favorite cars of all time. Best manual transmission ever made too BTW. I miss mine everyday.

S2000s are amazing cars.... if you can fit into them. I almost bought one 2 years ago that I fit into fine (it was an AP1) but passed and just a month ago I went and checked out an AP2 and I could not fit in it, like I couldn't work the clutch and the gas at the same time. I only gained a little weight since that first S2000 but did get a bit taller lol.

And No Love you should totally get a Viper. Great time to buy since they have dropped prices so much and now do the 1 of 1 GTC edition.

No Love

Banned
Well, the 991 gen Turbo just recently came out so even used ones are $160K+

997 Turbos are amazing used cars though. Definitely worth considering around the $100K mark. Probably the best year around daily driver supercar out there.

Edit: Check this out. This guy reviewed the new Turbo S during a Canadian winter with almost a foot of snow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0HwocLdTIE

If I don't do a Viper, I'm grabbing a 997.1 6 speed 911 Turbo. On E85 with some boltons it'll do 600 whp/700 wtq all day. The Metzger engine is GODLY.

S2000s are amazing cars.... if you can fit into them. I almost bought one 2 years ago that I fit into fine (it was an AP1) but passed and just a month ago I went and checked out an AP2 and I could not fit in it, like I couldn't work the clutch and the gas at the same time. I only gained a little weight since that first S2000 but did get a bit taller lol.

And No Love you should totally get a Viper. Great time to buy since they have dropped prices so much and now do the 1 of 1 GTC edition.

Well, I'm almost 6'1" and my cousin is 6'3" and we both fit into the S2000 fine, but much better after lowering the seat/putting in aftermarket seats, which is easy enough to do.

Yeah, the Viper prices are insane. I've never actually been a huge Viper fan but the Gen V is something special.

Jackson

I'm sure it's significantly less used.

True. You can get a 997 (not 991) Turbo S for $100k, but *kinda* high miles (41k) (for a Porsche Turbo S).

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...[911%7CTurbo+S]][]]&listingId=394677349&Log=0

2b85a107c4004939af65b71a6b2a804a.jpg

If I don't do a Viper, I'm grabbing a 997.1 6 speed 911 Turbo. On E85 with some boltons it'll do 600 whp/700 wtq all day. The Metzger engine is GODLY.

No Love, sometime I think you would even buy a Segway and run it on E85.

There's also a 6 speed manual Morning Frost White Aston Vantage at a local dealer for $80K. Probably the sexiest car you can get for the money, but it's out of warranty and a bit dated interior compared to modern cars.

Pls, don't buy anything JLR post warranty. Don't do that to yourself.

So Auto GAF I can't believe I did this but...

....I just put a deposit on a 2012 Subaru STI... Yeah, I bought a STI. Hopefully the engine doesn't crap out on me. It was a deal too good to pass up on. Super low Km's, full factory warranty till late 2017, and comes fully loaded. It had everything that I wanted except the colour.

I hope I made the right decision. Either way, I've already started to buy car parts from Japan HAHA!

So let's say this GT4 thing doesn't work out due to supply issues, what would you guys choose as a backup plan for ~$90K.

A slightly used 2015 GTR Black Edition or new 2015 Cayman GTS? Or something else entirely?

Was considering a Z06 as well, but those heat soak issues are off putting.

I'd go with the GTR. And this is coming from someone who's had some seat time in a friends HKS 800 version. The aftermarket is crazy, it doesn't take much to make it foolishly quick, and if modded properly, doesn't give much issues.

I'm still watching the used market because I'm a poor family man with a toddler.

P.S. Putting the top down and tackling backroads is a wonderful, wonderful experience and option to have.

This. Soo much this.

Them feels when you divebomb a hairpin, wind in your hair, right hand on the shifter as you downshift, the raucous roar from your exhaust as you revmatch and blip the throttle, the tires lose a little grip and you countersteer while the tire squeal interrupts the sound and fury of the exhaust...

There's only one other feeling that can surpass that haha.

matmanx1

So let's say this GT4 thing doesn't work out due to supply issues, what would you guys choose as a backup plan for ~$90K.

A slightly used 2015 GTR Black Edition or new 2015 Cayman GTS? Or something else entirely?

I'm a day late and a dollar short to this party but my money would be on the Cayman. I simply could not live with the GTR interior for that kind of money. Plus the Cayman just looks better and is a much more "modern" platform at this point even if the GTR still puts up better numbers.

matmanx1

I know its crazy to ask but where would be a good resource to find a Lotus Elise in Cali? I feel like the used car price is approaching something more reasonable (under 35k). I didn't realize this until I started looking at getting a new car (like a miata or WRX).

Why not a Cayman? You can find those for under 30k pretty consistently these days and they are far more livable than either an Elise or an S2000. Or if you want a convertible, go Boxster which is usually a little bit cheaper (although I prefer the driving dynamics of the Cayman).

Rengoku

Reading your post, I just couldn't resist, sorry :p

g5Z3fuB.png

No Love

Banned
No Love, sometime I think you would even buy a Segway and run it on E85.

Pls, don't buy anything JLR post warranty. Don't do that to yourself.

Well, E85 is everywhere here in SoCal and having 115-116 octane race gas on hand sure makes you want to tune on it. It's a beautiful, wonderful thing. One day when I'm old it'll probably be 100x harder to do all of this to current cars because we'll be living in an all-electric future. Might as well do everything I can now. I plan to buy/own about 20-30 different cars in the next 5 years and for sure I'll be putting as many on E85 as I can. Fuck 91 octane.

Why not a Cayman? You can find those for under 30k pretty consistently these days and they are far more livable than either an Elise or an S2000. Or if you want a convertible, go Boxster which is usually a little bit cheaper (although I prefer the driving dynamics of the Cayman).

The S2000 is a better car than a $30k Cayman or Boxster. Also, unlike a Boxster or Cayman, S2000's are currently appreciating every single year. You can't beat a car that's reliable, cheap to fix, more fun to drive, AND increases in value even as you put miles on it.

I often think about cutting an S2000 down to 2500-2600 lbs, putting amazing wheels + tires on it, some Ohlins coilovers, and a fast spooling turbo on E85 with a 2.4L stroker. Now THAT would be a serious sleeper/daily driver.
Also, with some suspension mods, exhaust, and maybe a turbo, you can make the S2000 into a serious monster. The motor will hold 700 whp on the stock block, I think it can do like 500 wtq before the rods will blow too. Funny thing is, the exact same recipe works on Evo's with potent results as well. I really need to snatch up another clean Laguna Blue S2000 and an Electric Blue Evo 9 before they're all gone and keep them forever.

Evo X

Studying my driving habits coming back from the gym tonight, I have come to the realization that I would most likely lose my license within a week if I owned a GTR. :D

Jackson hates the GTR as much as I hate the GT86.

Such fiery passion.

Yeah, no kidding. Starting to think that typing "GTR" in the next Scribblenauts game will just spawn a giant turd. lol

There's only one other feeling that can surpass that haha.

Getting a perfect sniper headshot in an FPS?

I'm a day late and a dollar short to this party but my money would be on the Cayman. I simply could not live with the GTR interior for that kind of money. Plus the Cayman just looks better and is a much more "modern" platform at this point even if the GTR still puts up better numbers.

Yeah, as an overall sport/luxury/practical package, it's hard to beat the Cayman GTS. It has more than enough performance for the road, but the GTR has more street cred due to it's physics defying world beating performance.

Reading your post, I just couldn't resist, sorry :p

g5Z3fuB.png

lol, this is great.

I really need to snatch up another clean Laguna Blue S2000 and an Electric Blue Evo 9 before they're all gone and keep them forever.

I had an Electric Blue Evo 9. Sold it for more than I bought it for. Such a fun car.

It was featured in Modified Magazine back in Oct 2012.

vfJCnsv.jpg

No Love

Banned
I had an Electric Blue Evo 9. Sold it for more than I bought it for. Such a fun car.

vfJCnsv.jpg

Fuck yeah! I knew I liked you for a good reason. Most people don't even know Electric Blue exists for the Evo 9's. *fistbump*

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Studying my driving habits coming back from the gym tonight, I have come to the realization that I would most likely lose my license within a week if I owned a GTR. :D

Yeah, no kidding. Starting to think that typing "GTR" in the next Scribblenauts game will just spawn a giant turd. lol

vfJCnsv.jpg

Hmmm? You used to live in NYC? From the pic it looks like the blue Evo has NY plates on it. And I think I've seen it around many times...

Evo X

Hmmm? You used to live in NYC? From the pic it looks like the blue Evo has NY plates on it. And I think I've seen it around many times...

Nope. I had the car in Chicago, but sold it to a guy from NYC.

He wired me the money and arranged shipping without even flying out to look at the car because of how clean it was and my rep on the Evo forums.

It's a pretty rare color for those cars.

AlphaSnake

Nope. I had the car in Chicago, but sold it to a guy from NYC.

He wired me the money and arranged shipping without even flying out to look at the car because of how clean it was and my rep on the Evo forums.

It's a pretty rare color for those cars.

Ahh okay.

ameratsu

yeah the main thing is my friends and I usually use my car when we go on trips, I love having the storage to be able to dump stuff into it whenever I want and leave. That and I used to do freelance video work.

I think I'm gonna take them up on it. I really don't see myself wanting to buy a car for another 3-5 years and having 70,000 less miles would probably help in that case. I know the next car I'll get will be another SUV most likely...

and it's an automatic. I've driven it before, I love driving it although I did hydroplane and spun out on a country road once...

It won't be a good trip car except for 2 people or less. Anyone in the backseat, unless short, won't be comfortable for anything other than short trips. You will be totally fine putting your equipment into it, there's enough storage space so I wouldn't imagine that being an issue.

If you love driving it, that's good enough. Go for it.

matmanx1

Well, E85 is everywhere here in SoCal and having 115-116 octane race gas on hand sure makes you want to tune on it. It's a beautiful, wonderful thing. One day when I'm old it'll probably be 100x harder to do all of this to current cars because we'll be living in an all-electric future. Might as well do everything I can now. I plan to buy/own about 20-30 different cars in the next 5 years and for sure I'll be putting as many on E85 as I can. Fuck 91 octane.

The S2000 is a better car than a $30k Cayman or Boxster. Also, unlike a Boxster or Cayman, S2000's are currently appreciating every single year. You can't beat a car that's reliable, cheap to fix, more fun to drive, AND increases in value even as you put miles on it.

I often think about cutting an S2000 down to 2500-2600 lbs, putting amazing wheels + tires on it, some Ohlins coilovers, and a fast spooling turbo on E85 with a 2.4L stroker. Now THAT would be a serious sleeper/daily driver.
Also, with some suspension mods, exhaust, and maybe a turbo, you can make the S2000 into a serious monster. The motor will hold 700 whp on the stock block, I think it can do like 500 wtq before the rods will blow too. Funny thing is, the exact same recipe works on Evo's with potent results as well. I really need to snatch up another clean Laguna Blue S2000 and an Electric Blue Evo 9 before they're all gone and keep them forever.

Better in what way? Better in terms of day to day livability while still being fun? I don't think so. The S2000 should be cheaper to maintain but if it is something that he is looking to daily drive then I still give the nod to the Cayman. It's obviously a personal preference but I could not daily an S2000. Too noisy and too cramped and I do need some cargo space occasionally which the Cayman/Boxster has.

matmanx1

Looking at a couple of vehicles to go and drive this weekend:

2011 Mazda3 5 door
2009 BMW 128i
2006 Acura RSX-S

All are 6spd manual cars and within 2k in price. The Mazda has fewer miles (40k vs 60-70k for the others) but the Acura is the cheapest.

I know the 128i is excellent but I am a little bit leary of long term BMW reliability, even in a "simple" car like the 128i. I have no experience with the Mazda3 or RSX-S but do know them by reputation. Generally I prefer rear wheel drive cars but a well setup front driver can be entertaining as well.

J-Rzez

Yeah, but do you think the GTR is almost too fast for the streets?

If you press the throttle more than 3 seconds from a stop, you will go to jail. lol.

They're very docile when you want them to be. The interior is certainly livable. Not Luxo-like, just functional, feels of "good" quality, comfortable.

Considering the car is sub-3sec -60, yes, in most areas where you're at a stop sign you will get fined. :)

Or get a Z06 and live with heat soak and rat-leather seats with paper thin like leather stuff over the rest of the hard cheap plastic in the car.

Just get a proper exhaust on the GT-R.

I don't know, maybe get lucky and score a Shelby GT350R, dat sound.

Speaking of GT-Rs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS3QVeItoco

http://jalopnik.com/russian-soccer-ace-obliterates-nissan-gt-r-in-105-mph-c-1700966331

AlphaSnake

They're very docile when you want them to be. The interior is certainly livable. Not Luxo-like, just functional, feels of "good" quality, comfortable.

Considering the car is sub-3sec -60, yes, in most areas where you're at a stop sign you will get fined. :)

Or get a Z06 and live with heat soak and rat-leather seats with paper thin like leather stuff over the rest of the hard cheap plastic in the car.

Just get a proper exhaust on the GT-R.

I don't know, maybe get lucky and score a Shelby GT350R, dat sound.

Speaking of GT-Rs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS3QVeItoco

http://jalopnik.com/russian-soccer-ace-obliterates-nissan-gt-r-in-105-mph-c-1700966331

If we want to talk about bad sounding cars...the GTR is so far from it. They sound good stock. But fantastic with exhausts. In the world where the M3/M4 is allowed to sound the way it does there is nothing wrong with the GTR's sound.

Hell, I prefer the sound of the GTR over that of a NA Porsche flat-six.

I said it. Come at me.

AlphaSnake

aw-hell-naw.jpg

Find me a GTR that sounds better than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O_CdoCYcag

I should've also specified I was referring to the base engines. The strung out engines of the GT3 and the like sound bonkers at full song. But the 3.4 and the 3.6 in the 996 and 997 just sound...farty. Same applies to the Coxsters. They've remedied the sound with the 991 3.8L considerably.

Also here's an ArmyTrix exhaust on a GTR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKV2j8_NoZQ

Similarly racy sounds from both.

J-Rzez

If we want to talk about bad sounding cars...the GTR is so far from it. They sound good stock. But fantastic with exhausts. In the world where the M3/M4 is allowed to sound the way it does there is nothing wrong with the GTR's sound.

I said it. Come at me.

I don't like their stock sound much but soon as you open up the GT-Rs exhaust they sound fantastic. Even password JDMs exhaust sounds good on them.

Not a super big fan of Porsche's sounds myself for being H-engines.

FStop7

Banned
Yeah, but do you think the GTR is almost too fast for the streets?

If you press the throttle more than 3 seconds from a stop, you will go to jail. lol

Not at all, it's super easy to drive. The issue is the suspension stiffness really wears you out. I'd swap cars for the weekend w/ a friend fairly often. I could only take about 2 hours in the GTR before I felt fatigued.

Evo X

Not at all, it's super easy to drive. The issue is the suspension stiffness really wears you out. I'd swap cars for the weekend w/ a friend fairly often. I could only take about 2 hours in the GTR before I felt fatigued.

What year was yours? I hear the suspension is much more compliant on the 2015s.

Ty4on

I love the hum of the Porsches boxers. The aircooled ones especially, but the newer ones are still great and the 991 GT3 is heavenly.

Jackson

I said it. Come at me.

GTR Stock exhaust sounds like crap (for the type of monstrous car it is). It really does. Especially inside. It's so quiet and basic. There's nothing exciting about it. Even when you're on it, it should be deafening, it should make you giggle. It doesn't. You barely notice it until you're totally on it. It's background noise, not theater. Does it sound like hte worst thing ever? No. But it's crazy fast, it needs to be stupidly exciting in the audio department too! I've had my car like 7 months and still giggle at the sound when I floor it. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to rev it in town because its so over the top. The GTS at WOT sounds like an F1 car. It's bonkers. And every time you let off the gas and back pressure is built up its burbles and crackles in the most obnoxiously awesome way. A lot like the F-Type R actually.They're not in the same league tbh.

Porsche say their cars are "driver's cars" and if my car is anything like the others, then yes, I'd agree. I feel everything. It's fun. The GTR is stupid fast. Like you floor it and it just goes and sometimes the rear kicks out a little when you downshift and stomp it, but what you feel is the gravity pulling you. You don't feel the car. It's cliche to say the GTR feels like a video game, but compared to the Porsche it really does. I've only driven a 2015 though.

Granted I've only test driven one and haven't lived with one... Also maybe because it's so quick you don't notice the noise as much?

Re;M4 having lived with it for an entire week in Germany... ya it was obnoxious in the bad way. at first I didn't mind it, but as life went on with it I was like meeeeeeh. I didn't like the M4, it felt so cushy as a driver's sport/track car.

Evo...You've driven an GTS, right? Test drive the GTR and I'm very you'll agree sound wise. You'll also agree at "holy crap this thing is so quick!" Nissan dealer won't bat an eye dude, just say you're interested and serious. Some manager will come up and check you out (because very teenager wants a joy ride) and I'm sure you'll check out if you're serious. Doesn't your bro got an R8? If you rolled up in that you'd for sure get a test drive easy. :)

Stop making me hate on the GTR :(

mkenyon

Banned
I think I just had an epiphany on why people hate the GT-R, that speaks to something dear to me. It's all about skill ceiling, right?

Any scrub can drop in a game of BF or CoD and get kills. You can't drop in a game of Q3A and kill higher skilled players, it's just not happening.

Any driver can get behind the wheel of the GT-R and look like a god. You can't do that in a Cayman GTS or 911.

Jackson

I think I just had an epiphany on why people hate the GT-R, that speaks to something dear to me. It's all about skill ceiling, right?

Any scrub can drop in a game of BF or CoD and get kills. You can't drop in a game of Q3A and kill higher skilled players, it's just not happening.

Any driver can get behind the wheel of the GT-R and look like a god. You can't do that in a Cayman GTS or 911.

Nah, I don't care about that as much.

My problem, and I can only speak for myself, is that for a supercar its boring. It doesn't look crazy or beautiful, it doesn't sound obnoxious, it doesn't turn heads when you floor it. The interior doesn't make you feel special (the track edition seats with the "suede" are hilariously bad). The dealership experience is way different.

Compare it to any other supercar and it's a joke on those levels. I know that people use the "lol look at the GTR beat the Ferrari!" stuff, and I guess that's the tuner college kid culture. But that "why do supercars exist?" thread highlighted why they should exist. What makes them special. It's the whole package. The GTR is so fast. But it doesn't kick you in the back of the head and howl deafeningly into the cockpit when you downshift and floor it like a Gallardo. It just quietly and swiftly pulls your body back into your seat as you move into warpspeed. Some people like to brag about track numbers. Those people are usually on the internet and have never driven any of the cars they are arguing about (not specifically calling this place out, its everywhere). Numbers are nice. GTR is a beast. Technical masterpiece! But sit in one, drive one. It sucks the fun out of going fast as heck. I don't get why Nissan did that. You shouldn't feel removed from something that fast or that grippy. A Supercar should be the opposite. You should be in the moment when driving it. I don't want a sports car I just paid $120k for to feel more like a mid-level comfy sedan (that can go to warp speed politely). I want that bonkers poster on my wall as a kid. I want an animal I have to tame. It's fun! And the that doesn't mean I want a car I can barely drive because it's going to kill me. (The GTR can do that too). I just want it to feel special. It's expensive! It's built to race It should feel awesome! Even the Americans are getting it right with the Z06 and T/A.

For me... Ultimately It's fast. but it's not fun (and fun is the whole package).

I think Gran Turismo culture influenced the love of the GTR a lot, because you get recording stomping lap times, but the "feel" of the car doesn't matter because it's a video game.

But maybe that's just me. I ride a Ducati Panigale because it grunts like a pissed off grizzly, looks like a supermodel and still accelerates like a bat out of hell. There are better bikes out there from a track #'s standpoint. I don't care because I'm not a pro, or even semi-pro. I track a few times a year, and have fun on some back roads or highways from time to time. I'm not wringing every last drop of perf out of my car/bike. But I gotta look at my bike and hear my bike and ride my bike everyday (when it's nice).

mkenyon

Banned
But sit in one, drive one. It sucks the fun out of going fast as heck. I don't get why Nissan did that. You shouldn't feel removed from something that fast or that grippy. A Supercar should be the opposite. You should be in the moment when driving it. I don't want a sports car I just paid $120k for to feel more like a mid-level comfy sedan (that can go to warp speed politely). I want that bonkers poster on my wall as a kid. I want an animal I have to tame. It's fun! And the that doesn't mean I want a car I can barely drive because it's going to kill me. (The GTR can do that too). I just want it to feel special. It's expensive! It's built to race It should feel awesome! Even the Americans are getting it right with the Z06 and T/A.

That's what I'm getting at though. It places a huge skill ceiling because the car just pmuch takes care of you. It removes the challenge of mastering the car, knowing the little quirks. Knowing that precise moment of the turn when you can WOT out of it, compared to when you have to give it 25%.

J-Rzez

That's really about it. It's the systems doing the work. Nothing really wrong with that IMHO, and that's coming from someone who started their Ariel Atom fund. :)

If we're talking sound I need to post the LFA of course...wow

https://youtu.be/p6D7S2rcyIQ

One of the best sounding cars of all time, bar none.

Top Bottom