• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

First batch of GT4s are starting to be delivered to European customers.

Meanwhile, I sit in a corner and cry. ;_;

80-image_222_f81cc5791eb287a989538f36dd5f717c15263d6f.jpg

80-image_159_45b1a84e877c0fe95bea06bd9da3259a3d641498.jpg

80-whie_gt4_17afe375ec5d085fffd3c00b15c268ef347287a2.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Anyone who thinks a GTR can drive itself is kidding themselves and have never driven one with all of the nannies turned off.

Here's an example of a GTR going sideways at a fairly slow speed coming from a complete stop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XhxbxiGq0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mEcckghmbo

Look how effortless it is to get it sideways.

Plenty of GTRs have been totaled on tracks, wiped out, spun out, and crashed. I even had a friend (infamously ended up all over the internet) who went to overtake a Prius driver, pegged the throttle, then the brake, and the car went sideways, lost control and right into the Prius.

I also find it hypocritical that Porsche fans dog the GTR for feeling like a 'videogame', when the GTR still uses a standard hydraulic power assisted steering rack. As opposed to the lifeless electric steering of all Porsches. Talk about road feel and steering feedback...the GTR actually has more of it. The Porsches do a great job of simulating road feel, but the GTR is actually providing it without gimmicks.

Rengoku

I think I just had an epiphany on why people hate the GT-R, that speaks to something dear to me. It's all about skill ceiling, right?

Any scrub can drop in a game of BF or CoD and get kills. You can't drop in a game of Q3A and kill higher skilled players, it's just not happening.

Any driver can get behind the wheel of the GT-R and look like a god. You can't do that in a Cayman GTS or 911.

I wouldn't go as far as saying hate. It's still an awesome car, and many people I know love it, along with the looks.

A couple months back, when I was out for lunch, I saw a stunning black GTR with dark tinted windows drive into a plaza and park nearby. What totally caught me off guard was who came out of the driver's side. It wasn't a big burly guy, it was a tiny asian girl, no taller than 5 feet, with pink high heels. You can interpret that how you want, but this encounter has stuck with me everytime I see a GTR.

Evo X

Any chance you can get one still? Or are they all p'much spoken for?

Maybe. I still have a deposit at one dealer. He said he will let me know May 1st if I can get one this year.

The Cayman GTS I was looking at out of state just sold 2 days ago, so there goes my backup plan.

If they can't get me a GT4, they said I'll be first in line for the new Boxster Spyder if I want, but US deliveries of those aren't starting until October.

Can only wait and see at this point I suppose.

I also find it hypocritical that Porsche fans dog the GTR for feeling like a 'videogame', when the GTR still uses a standard hydraulic power assisted steering rack. As opposed to the lifeless electric steering of all Porsches. Talk about road feel and steering feedback...the GTR actually has more of it. The Porsches do a great job of simulating road feel, but the GTR is actually providing it without gimmicks.

The fuck? Don't clump us all together. Jackson is the only one saying that stuff here.

Also, if you want to talk shit about Porsche, find something else other than steering to complain about. Prior to the current gen, Porsche's hydraulic steering has been lauded by all of the automotive world as being incredibly tactile and full of feedback. Even the current gen cars have the best electric steering in the business. That's just the way the industry is headed, and I'm sure the next gen GTR will follow suit. The only reason it hasn't yet is because it's only a tuned version of a car from 2008.

Steering feel is not all about setup either. The Alfa 4C uses unassisted hydraulic steering, but go watch the reviews and every journalist agrees the Cayman GTS steering provides more feedback and is much more confidence inspiring.

Jackson

The fuck? Don't clump us all together. Jackson is the only one saying that stuff here.

Also, if you want to talk shit about Porsche, find something else other than steering to complain about. Prior to the current gen, Porsche's hydraulic steering has been lauded by all of the automotive world as being incredibly tactile and full of feedback. Even the current gen cars have the best electric steering in the business. That's just the way the industry is headed, and I'm sure the next gen GTR will follow suit. The only reason it hasn't yet is because it's only a tuned version of a car from 2008.

Steering feel is not all about setup either. The Alfa 4C uses unassisted hydraulic steering, but go watch the reviews and every journalist agrees the Cayman GTS steering provides more feedback and is much more confidence inspiring.

I'm also the one who has driven both, and driven a lot of other super cars/sports cars/exotic cars. So I'm not just saying it because I'm parroting any review or online opinion. It's my own opinion based on my own experience. Which may or may not ring true for others. And I'm not saying I'm the only one who has driven a lot of sports cars either, not saying you don't have your own experiences... you do! Alpha does... Plenty have on this forum are not just spec knowledgeable but have actual seat time in many cars!

I've gotten the GTR squirrely before. Try downshifting to 2nd at 50MPH and immediately slamming the gas to the floor. The back will definitely light up. It's a bit scary to momentarily lose control of a 550 HP car that can travel at GTR speeds.

I'm just saying the GTR, compared to others it its class is boring to drive because its feels so sterile and looks so plain. I drive cars because it's exciting and entertaining, the GTR, for me, just isn't. And I like leaving my garage at night and glancing back at how gorgeous my car is. I like sitting in my car and feeling how special it is. The GTR's digital instrument panel made by Polyphony is special, I'l say that.

That's all. it's personal taste.

Also Evo...if you want the ultimate Cayman. Get this :p Only $117

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...t=[POR[CAYMAN[]][]]&listingId=381451323&Log=0

0c958722ecb942729ac3129b96dd1156.jpg

If we want to talk about bad sounding cars...the GTR is so far from it. They sound good stock. But fantastic with exhausts. In the world where the M3/M4 is allowed to sound the way it does there is nothing wrong with the GTR's sound.

Hell, I prefer the sound of the GTR over that of a NA Porsche flat-six.

I said it. Come at me.

Really man? Really? I mean it's subjective and all but...

Really?

GT-R wins that one.

Also, this seems relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaIgdwXmqDw

This sounds foney baloney to me--like it's not even a real engine. Like this is the sound that BMW would like to pump through the speakers of the M4. Like a trombone being played underwater.

I will say though, even as a big Porsche guy, that the flat 6 always sounds a little raspy or chatty at low throttle, but hit the gas, get the revs up and it's an assault of mechanical Valkyries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5nJ9bMJDow

For those who track their cars, do you use open face of close faced helmets?

All the closed faced helmets are marketed toward open wheel cars for obvious reasons, but are they worth getting for a closed cockpit car?

All the closed faced helmets are marketed toward open wheel cars for obvious reasons, but are they worth getting for a closed cockpit car?

Tough call. Does a full face provide somewhat more safety? Maybe? But probably not if you're just doing open track days. You'd have to get into some pretty serious tumbling to notice the difference between open and full.

The full works just as well with an airbag as an open, by the way, so no concerns there.

Edit: Ultimately I'd go with comfort and visibility. Finding Snell helmets that fit well is a pain in the ass nowadays, since motorcycle helmet makers started going with the ECE compliance instead of Snell (Snell is probably going to be required for what you're doing).

matmanx1

This is the car I should have bought a couple of years back (only it would have cost more money back then). 2009 128i with the 6 speed stick. It has the Premium Package and that is it. No power seats, no heated seats, no GPS, nothing fancy. And I love it.

It's light and nimble but also quiet and refined enough to work really well for my daily. I had to drive an hour and a half to get it and even with all of the traffic and dealership stuff I still came back with a huge grin and want to go right back out and jump in it again for more driving. It is less of a sports car than the G37 that I traded in but much more of a driver's car, if that makes sense.

The best thing is even though it has 63k miles on it the previous owner kept excellent records and was very pro-active on the maintenance (spark plugs were replaced at 55k miles as were both air filters!). Needless to say, I am stoked.

(tried to insert a picture but photobucket is not wanting to play nice. Oh well.)

Jackson

I've always worn a fully closed helmet. I don't need something going through my jaw in a freak accident. Never had a problem with it. Also helps with wind if the track requires your windows to be down for safety.

This is the car I should have bought a couple of years back (only it would have cost more money back then). 2009 128i with the 6 speed stick. It has the Premium Package and that is it. No power seats, no heated seats, no GPS, nothing fancy. And I love it.

It's light and nimble but also quiet and refined enough to work really well for my daily. I had to drive an hour and a half to get it and even with all of the traffic and dealership stuff I still came back with a huge grin and want to go right back out and jump in it again for more driving. It is less of a sports car than the G37 that I traded in but much more of a driver's car, if that makes sense.

The best thing is even though it has 63k miles on it the previous owner kept excellent records and was very pro-active on the maintenance (spark plugs were replaced at 55k miles as were both air filters!). Needless to say, I am stoked.

(tried to insert a picture but photobucket is not wanting to play nice. Oh well.)

Grats! (Imgur ftw). Buddy has a 128i, I liked it a lot.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

I'm not lumping you in anything though. I was generalizing, because the majority of Porsche fans have that belief of the GTR. Also, because we're talking about current cars here, I'm not going to go back and compare steering of old Porsches. No kidding they were among the best. But so was BMW, and that ship has long sailed for them.

The point I was trying to make without making it glaringly obvious is that a lot of Porschephiles are quick to point out when something isn't pure in other sports cars. But also quick to gloss over the very same kinds of issues with Porsches.

Don't get me wrong either, because right now if I had money to buy either a Nismo GTR or 911 GT3, I'd get the Porsche in a heartbeat. I'm just trying to point out that the flak GTRs get are usually undeserved or skewed.

J-Rzez

Open faced was all I ever used. Better visibility, less weight. Though I can see the appeal of closed for added safety. When I get my atom, some day, it will require a closed face. Going windshieldless.

Any driver can get behind the wheel of the GT-R and look like a god. You can't do that in a Cayman GTS or 911.

I think Gran Turismo culture influenced the love of the GTR a lot, because you get recording stomping lap times, but the "feel" of the car doesn't matter because it's a video game.

Both good points and I definitely agree with mkenyon about the GT-R removing the skill ceiling for the masses. Sure you could turn off all the nannies and computers to drive the hell out of the GT-R but I think that's missing the point of the car entirely. Those nannies were built in to help noobs drive fast and the experienced drive much faster.

I can't comment on the interior and all that since I don't give a rats ass about it as I'm one of those people who believes that rattles/squeaks = soul of a car lol.

But I will say that I've never been scared being inside a GT-R, whether I'm behind the wheel or somebody else. The ride-alongs I've been in where the driver pushes it to the max, the entire just feels secure and for lack of a better term, as comfortable as a Altima going at highway speeds. Whereas in another powerful AWD like an STi or Evo X, I'm constantly looking over the driver and trying to see/feel what the car is doing. And let's not even talk about the time I sat shotgun in a Viper with a fantastic driver... let's just say that was the only time I've ever missed the solid earth beneath me.

As for the GT-R's adoration, I agree that Gran Turismo had something to do with it, but I also think the fact that we never got any of the earlier R30's here in the US had something to do with it. Europe and Japan don't seem to have the same amount of fascination to it as we do. One other factor to add is the Fast and Furious series... seriously, if Brian never had an R34 in those movies, I don't think there'd be a cult following of it over here. But more importantly, and this is something I've been repeating over and over here in Auto-GAF... it's price... well, it's original price at least before it got more expensive lol. There are still people, ranging from teens to young adults who believe that depreciation is a massive bitch and you can buy a GT-R for less than $40k today(and yes I looked, $63k is the cheapest here in DFW).

Anyway, me personally... I'd also pick a 911 myself. But that doesn't mean I don't respect the GT-R... rather, I can get a 911 with a stick, RWD, and I'm not all about lap times and whatnot like 99% of the GT-R crowd. I want a car that I can enjoy on any road, not just the track.

Random sidenote: I did the quick search for GT-R prices on Autotrader and next thing you know I'm in that Autotrader rabbit hole... Mileage under 100k, RWD and stick... started at low price. Mustangs, lots and lots of Mustangs and then something interesting popped up. Starting at $12k you can now buy an fairly decent mileage(around 70k miles) E90 328i, 350Z's, and G35's. Hell I found a 1-owner, $13k 08 328i with 88,000 miles... and I was about to schedule a test drive until I looked over it's reliability ratings... jfc. No thank you.

matmanx1

Starting at $12k you can now buy an fairly decent mileage(around 70k miles) E90 328i, 350Z's, and G35's. Hell I found a 1-owner, $13k 08 328i with 88,000 miles... and I was about to schedule a test drive until I looked over it's reliability ratings... jfc. No thank you.

The 328i's aren't bad actually. Certainly not as good as a G35 or 350Z but also better than the turbo BMW's (335i). Looking back at the service history of my 128i I can see that the window regulators, steering wheel, several bulbs and the windshield washer fluid pump have all been replaced and most of that was before the 50k mile mark (which would have been the warranty period). At 70k-80k most of that stuff should have been sorted out although you will probably have some maintenance related items to take care of if they haven't already been done.

Electrical gremlins can rear their ugly heads in the BMW's but you can cut down on that by finding a car with less gadgets (no iDrive, less power equipment) and you increase the reliability odds in your favor.

Bottom line, don't be scared of a well maintained 07 or 08 328i, especially if it has the 6MT and is a bit of stripped down model.

No Love

Banned
Sitting back and really enjoying the back and forth today. AlphaSnake vs the world.

BTW the GTR does sound GREAT in person when you have a nice exhaust on it, but so does the 911.

So CarGAF,

If you were to buy a 4/5 seater convertible, which one would you go for?

Old or new?

If you are looking for an older car as hobby or potential classic car and if you like a clear and timeless 80/90s design I can from my personal experience recommend the Mercedes A124 (E-Class) from the early 90s:

In my biased opinion the best real 4 seater convertible (i.e real people and not only children can sit in the back for an extended time) ever made. It's over-engineered to almost perfection. Comfortable, fast, extremely reliable.
And if you keep it in a good shape, you won't loose any money while driving it.

matmanx1

Old or new?

If you are looking for an older car as hobby or potential classic car and if you like a clear and timeless 80/90s design I can from my personal experience only recommend the Mercedes A124 (E-Class) from the early 90s:

In my biased opinion the best real 4 seater convertible (i.e real people and not only children can sit in the back for an extended time) ever made. It's over-engineered to almost perfection. Comfortable, fast, extremely reliable.
And if you keep it in a good shape, you won't loose any money while driving it.

I love this suggestion! And as a side note, the sedan and coupe versions of this car are excellent also!

Evo X

Well, May 1st has come and gone... and what a surprise! No fucking update on the GT4. Porsche's attitude is really starting to piss me off.

In other news, new Z06 with auto tranny runs 10's bones stock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alxnpGRkjE8

Also, I was looking though some old pictures I took and found this gem. Dude in a Mazda 3 hatchback put Ferrari shields on his car. lol

DSC03218.jpg

I saw one of these on a Volvo the other day. I miss my Volvo sometimes, had not to laugh in that car (an old 1986 740 GLE that was indestructible)

av7WXgd.jpg

FStop7

Banned
The GTR feels pretty video gamey. Especially when I feel the torque being shifted to the front.

Also, LOL @ taking shots at Porsche steering.

Jackson

Sitting back and really enjoying the back and forth today. AlphaSnake vs the world.

BTW the GTR does sound GREAT in person when you have a nice exhaust on it, but so does the 911.

I was complaining about the GTRs stock exhaust. The Cayman GTS exhaust is probably the best 6 cylinder I've ever heard. It's ferocious at WOT. Gives V8s a run for their money.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
On this page we talked about state if the art electric steering as if it was pure aesthetic, and exhaust note as if it were important to real driving.

Evo X

6-Speed MANUAL Ferrari 599 GTB

holy shit. so damn sexy. such a shame they don't make manual cars anymore.

HNNNGGG... That sound in the tunnel at 3:50! Might need a change of pants.

Such a shame everyone is switching to automatics in search of performance and economy. I would love to drive a 6spd gated Ferrari. Closest I've gotten is a Gallardo and R8.

Maybe I should buy a 360 Modena and put a Kreissieg on it. Probably the closest sound to a fucking F1 car for the streets.

GLORIOUS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehokF1fE4B8

GHG

Gold Member
HNNNGGG... That sound in the tunnel at 3:50! Might need a change of pants.

Such a shame everyone is switching to automatics in search of performance and economy. I would love to drive a 6spd gated Ferrari. Closest I've gotten is a Gallardo and R8.

Maybe I should buy a 360 Modena and put a Kreissieg on it. Probably the closest sound to a fucking F1 car for the streets.

GLORIOUS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehokF1fE4B8

Kreissieg exhausts are no joke. The r8 v10 with one:

http://youtu.be/bvjB1e8hHUU

I need this in my life.

Edit:

Or the Armytrix on the GTR:

http://youtu.be/U6dUvrmucNI

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
5 months after picking up my evo x and the bug has bitten me, I need more power. Critique my planned mods, please. Goal: power gains and a smoothed out power curve at a cheap price.

K&n drop in air filter
Grimmspeed 3 port boost control solenoid
Ams 3" test pipe
Safe (not conservative, not too aggressive) tune

Sound good? I hear the stock exhaust is not much of a bottle neck and a cold air intake isn't necessary at this level. Any obvious things I've overlooked or skipped?

5 months after picking up my evo x and the bug has bitten me, I need more power. Critique my planned mods, please. Goal: power gains and a smoothed out power curve at a cheap price.

K&n drop in air filter
Ams 3" test pipe

Sound good? I hear the stock exhaust is not much of a bottle neck and a cold air intake isn't necessary at this level. Any obvious things I've overlooked or skipped?

Keep the cat, get an exhaust instead.

How do you plan to get it tuned? Accessport v3 or?

op_ivy

Keep the cat, get an exhaust instead.

How do you plan to get it tuned? Accessport v3 or?
Why catback exhaust? Isn't the cat the only true hang up for breathing? I dont care about the aftermarket exhaust sound.

And I suppose I need some help with your last question, I didn't realize there were different ways of getting it tuned. I assumed how it was tuned was included with the tuners price? By the way, looking to take it to boosted tuning in Chico ca

Evo X

Get the full catback. The stock one will restrict air flow. You'll also save some weight.

I would also recommend upper intercooler piping as well before you tune. That will give you an additional 10-15whp.

Good luck! It will become a whole different beast with bolt ons and tune. :)

op_ivy

Get the full catback. The stock one will restrict air flow. You'll also save some weight.

I would also recommend upper intercooler piping as well before you tune. That will give you an additional 10-15whp.

Good luck! It will become a whole different beast with bolt ons and tune. :)
Thoughts on turbo back vs cat back? I live in a county that doesn't have emissions testing

Really looking to keep price, with tune to close to 1000

Evo X

Thoughts on turbo back vs cat back? I live in a county that doesn't have emissions testing

Downpipe isn't really necessary on these cars. It made a bigger difference on Evo 9s. It's up to you. Get the test pipe and catback for sure. Make sure they don't fuck up the 02 sensor during installation and tune it correctly or you'll keep getting check engine lights.

Also, be aware that getting a test pipe WILL smell. You should decide if the extra power is worth it over a high flow cat.

op_ivy

Since price is an issue, would I be better off with a test pipe/high flow cat and stock exhaust, or a cat back exhaust alone? Or will either of these options really be held back and I should just bite the bullet on both? Can I cut corners by holding off on the 3 port, or does that take priority? If you were looking to spend roughly 1000 (with tune), what would be your mods?

Thanks for helping an ignorant old fart out

No Love

Banned

K&n drop in air filter
Ams 3" test pipe

Bigger injectors and Walbro 255 + E85 tune. Best bang for the buck. You'll get an extra 40-60 whp and a ton of torque. Plus it's 5x safer for your motor than running 91/93.

Since price is an issue, would I be better off with a test pipe/high flow cat and stock exhaust, or a cat back exhaust alone? Or will either of these options really be held back and I should just bite the bullet on both? Can I cut corners by holding off on the 3 port, or does that take priority? If you were looking to spend roughly 1000 (with tune), what would be your mods?

Thanks for helping an ignorant old fart out

Do NOT skip the 3 port. It is far far superior to the stock boost controller. It will allow you to have a perfect power curve.

If I was spending 1000 on mods with tune I'd go injectors ($400~), fuel pump ($60), 3-port ($60-80), 3" test pipe (like $30-40 from an exhaust shop), and the tune for $300. E85 is a godsend on any Evo. IF you can spare another $300, go with a local exhaust shop and have them make you a lightweight 3" single exhaust.

If you're getting a tune, I highly recommend Tom @ TSComp Tuning. He's a remote tuner (but if you're local to him he'll do it locally). He does Evo X's too I believe. He is a great, great tuner. Very fast and affordable.

op_ivy

Bigger injectors and Walbro 255 + E85 tune. Best bang for the buck. You'll get an extra 40-60 whp and a ton of torque. Plus it's 5x safer for your motor than running 91/93.

Do NOT skip the 3 port. It is far far superior to the stock boost controller. It will allow you to have a perfect power curve.

If I was spending 1000 on mods with tune I'd go injectors ($400~), fuel pump ($60), 3-port ($60-80), 3" test pipe (like $30-40 from an exhaust shop), and the tune for $300. E85 is a godsend on any Evo. IF you can spare another $300, go with a local exhaust shop and have them make you a lightweight 3" single exhaust.

If you're getting a tune, I highly recommend Tom @ TSComp Tuning. He's a remote tuner (but if you're local to him he'll do it locally). He does Evo X's too I believe. He is a great, great tuner. Very fast and affordable.

E85, sadly, is not even remotely an option. Nearest station is 100 miles away and I'm not storing it.

Just saw your updated post, thanks for the input!

Top Bottom